PDA

View Full Version : Juan Martin del Potro Appreciation Thread

Love Game
09-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Thought I should start a thread for the man some on this forum said would never win a grand slam. Since delPotro did just that on Monday, September 14, 2009, he deserves an appreciation thread where his fans can praise him and update each other on his latest news ... just share positive input about JMdP.

http://i27.tinypic.com/33fbwvl.jpg

Particularly for Delpo's countrymen, his fellow Argentines: There were argentines who were unhappy with delpo for not scheduling toe surgery in 2008 so he could (they said) win the davis cup for argentina. They said he could have had argentina on a string if he had won then, and the rest of his tournaments (paris and shanghai in particular) should not have been played, because any ranking points and earnings he would have missed from them would have been more than made up for by having Argentina as his kingdom, so to speak.

All's well that ends well. Now Delpo's the first Argentine man to win the USOpen since 1977 (32 years ago) when Guillermo Villas did it .....

http://i27.tinypic.com/2953bmd.jpg

Question for the Argentines: Does Argentina now love delPotro forever??? :D

ATP Rankings on September 14, 2009
.......http://i31.tinypic.com/1j6dzt.png.......

Ripster
09-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I fully support this thread idea. Del Potro is the man.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 12:15 PM
It was shame he didn't play in DC for Argentines. But they probably forgot all about that by now.

He will definitely surpass Vilas as the greatest Argentine tennis player ever.

Love Game
09-17-2009, 12:24 PM
It was shame he didn't play in DC for Argentines. But they probably forgot all about that by now.

Well, he did play, but he was playing hurt so he lost. On a happier note, he played and won in Czech Republic! :)

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Refreshing change seeing the champ wearing a sweater and jeans after the years of Fed's GQ outfits after winning. Fashion does NOT belong in tennis!

JoelDali
09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Awesome shot, thanks for sharing!

Love Game
09-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, good thread, why should anyone complain?

Can you find more nice pics? I am looking for a nice dektop background.

There's lots of pics to chose from ... Would you prefer one in action? maybe in the championship match? or more casual? :)

grafselesfan
09-17-2009, 12:29 PM

That is a big statement to make when you say definitely. I agree he well could but pretty amazing you would be so sure of that. Do you realize what Vilas has accomplished. For starters he won 4 slams. He was lucky to win 2 Australian Opens in depleted fields, but he also was super unlucky to be in the era of Borg on clay so the two balance out.

batz
09-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Kudos to JMDP on becoming latest grand slam champion.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 12:41 PM
That is a big statement to make when you say definitely. I agree he well could but pretty amazing you would be so sure of that. Do you realize what Vilas has accomplished. For starters he won 4 slams. He was lucky to win 2 Australian Opens in depleted fields, but he also was super unlucky to be in the era of Borg on clay so the two balance out.

Yeah, OK, 4 slams. I always thought he had only 2 slams for some reason :rolleyes:

ASL
09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
DP looks better shaved.

grafselesfan
09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah, OK, 4 slams. I always thought he had only 2 slams for some reason :rolleyes:

Well the Australian Open was kind of a joke slam then and he wasnt really good enough to win a slam on grass with the top guys there so I guess it is like 2 slams in a way. :lol: However the legacy of Vilas is based mostly on his amazing record on clay when he avoids Borg if that makes any sense.

Love Game
09-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by SerbWhoLovesDelPo http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3952275#post3952275)
Yeah, good thread, why should anyone complain?

Can you find more nice pics? I am looking for a nice dektop background.

I'm using this one for desktop for now ... it's rather standard, but does show that Delpo really, really loves to win ... so will probably do a lot more winning! :)

http://i27.tinypic.com/20iubfb.jpg

p.s. Love your new ava!!! :D

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Well the Australian Open was kind of a joke slam then and he wasnt really good enough to win a slam on grass with the top guys there so I guess it is like 2 slams in a way. :lol: However the legacy of Vilas is based mostly on his amazing record on clay when he avoids Borg if that makes any sense.

Yeah, it makes sense, he was good except for being Borg's punching bag. He definitely deserved the his 2 non-AO slams. Agreed.

But his winning AO is like DelPo winning Serbian Open. :) No wait, it's like DelPo winning Serbian Open with Djokovic and Tipsarevic having mono :lol:

grafselesfan
09-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah, it makes sense, he was good except for being Borg's punching bag. He definitely deserved the his 2 non-AO slams. Agreed.

But his winning AO is like DelPo winning Serbian Open. :) No wait, it's like DelPo winning Serbian Open with Djokovic and Tipsarevic having mono :lol:

LOL very true. I guess Vilas is just hard to evaluate in a way. It will be interesting to see if Del Potro wins atleast 1 slam next year. If he does he is well on his way to surpassing Vilas I would agree.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 01:09 PM
LOL very true. I guess Vilas is just hard to evaluate in a way. It will be interesting to see if Del Potro wins atleast 1 slam next year. If he does he is well on his way to surpassing Vilas I would agree.

He is (one of) a favorite for the HCs next year. French, who knows, ...he has a chance there too, I guess. I would kill to see DP-Nadal and Djoko-Fed semis at RG2010.

ASL
09-17-2009, 01:12 PM
He is (one of) a favorite for the HCs next year. French, who knows, ...he has a chance there too, I guess. I would kill to see DP-Nadal and Djoko-Fed semis at RG2010.

I think an encounter between Murray and Del Potro at the AO would be very interesting. I mean, at the moment Murray has his number on hard court.

Love Game
09-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Agentina welcomes Juan home

http://i29.tinypic.com/11h70xx.jpg
Presser in Buenos Aires

http://i30.tinypic.com/10eriu0.jpg
Receiving a commemorative plaque from Pres of Argentina's Tennis Assn

random guy
09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Of course we love him forever! More if he wins DC next year with Nalby.:)

I still think that he should have skipped the Masters last year to be in full health for the DC final:oops:

ZhengJieisagoddess
09-17-2009, 01:42 PM
I am a fan of women's tennis first and foremost (can anyone tell??) but I can now say I have a favorite male player...I love it when people say "You can't"and someone goes out and proves them wrong!
This is just the beginning, I think, for Juan Martin. Many more great things coming!!!
Coincidentally (?) the same issue of TENNIS magazine that featured Roger on the cover as the GOAT (and deservedly so) has a nice piece on Juan Martin's inside-in forehand, which he used to such devastating effect the last two weeks.
I love the idea for this thread. Now we who were never all that crazy about Roger or Nadal have a place to go...

drwood
09-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Delpo is essentially 21. For him to win 3 more slams is not unlikely, especially considering that only one US Open champion over the past 30 years failed to win more than one slam (Roddick).

Remember, he was very close at the French this year, and he's a lot better now than then. That reminds me, where are all the Fed haters who said he only beat nobodies to win the French title? Does anyone now think that prime Sampras could beat prime Delpo on clay? Didn't think so.

ASL
09-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Delpo is essentially 21. For him to win 3 more slams is not unlikely, especially considering that only one US Open champion over the past 30 years failed to win more than one slam (Roddick).

To add to that, Roddick only managed to win 4 MS in his career. He's a hype job.

drwood
09-17-2009, 01:49 PM

I thought that Nalbandian didn't mind Delpo not playing DC b/c Nalbandian wanted all the glory for their expected win over Spain w/o Rafa in the final...guess that didn't work out too well.

BTW, any word on whether Nalbandian has congratulated Delpo? Maybe this will motivate him to actually work hard, since no one cares about him anymore in Argentina as top banana.

drwood
09-17-2009, 01:50 PM
To add to that, Roddick only managed to win 4 MS in his career. He's a hype job.

Roddick's not a hype job. His overall legacy of accomplishments is similar to Chang's...good, but not great.

flying24
09-17-2009, 01:51 PM

Only 4 Masters titles. What a ridiculous statement. That is double the Masters titles that Rafter and Kafelnikov have won combined.

flying24
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Remember, he was very close at the French this year, and he's a lot better now than then. That reminds me, where are all the Fed haters who said he only beat nobodies to win the French title? Does anyone now think that prime Sampras could beat prime Delpo on clay? Didn't think so.

Del Potro at this years French would have destroyed any Sampras on clay. Federer did have a tough draw at this years French. Monfils, Del Potro, and an on fire Soderling in the last 3 rounds. Monfils is going to make many semis at the French and eventually alteast a final. Del Potro will win the French someday and make many semis and finals. Soderling who knows, but I suspect he is going to be in the top 10 for awhile and do well on all surfaces.

Love Game
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Tandil Hometown Boy Makes Good, Gets Welcome Home Parade

http://i28.tinypic.com/rihv2f.jpg

http://www.infobae.com/contenidos/472652-100913-0-Del-Potro-llegó-a-Tandil-tras-el-US-Open-y-se-pasea-en-autobomba-junto-a-su-gente

ASL
09-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Roddick's not a hype job. His overall legacy of accomplishments is similar to Chang's...good, but not great.

Chang was miles better on clay than that chap.

flying24
09-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Roddick was miles better on grass than Chang, and better on grass than Chang is on clay despite that Chang won a lucky French once. Chang on grass is about equally hopeless to Roddick on clay.

Cesc Fabregas
09-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Del Potro at this years French would have destroyed any Sampras on clay. Federer did have a tough draw at this years French. Monfils, Del Potro, and an on fire Soderling in the last 3 rounds. Monfils is going to make many semis at the French and eventually alteast a final. Del Potro will win the French someday and make many semis and finals. Soderling who knows, but I suspect he is going to be in the top 10 for awhile and do well on all surfaces.

Del Potro couldn't even win against a slumping Federer at this years French Open, he has no chance of winning RG next year with Nadal, Federer and Djokovic all clearly superior on clay to him. Federer didn't have a tough draw at this years French Open, he was just playing so bad he mad it look tough, I mean the only match he played well in was the final against a clearly nervous Soderling.

drwood
09-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Roddick was miles better on grass than Chang, and better on grass than Chang is on clay despite that Chang won a lucky French once. Chang on grass is about equally hopeless to Roddick on clay.

Well, Chang's French wasn't lucky -- remember that he made another French final in his career. A major title where you beat prime Lendl, prime Edberg and giving Sampras 3 breadsticks (a year prior to his first major) isn't lucky.

But yes, Chang on grass wasn't that great, although he at least made a Wimbledon QF once (lost to Sampras in 94).

Love Game
09-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Chang ...

Roddick ....

Off topic!!!

drwood
09-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Del Potro couldn't even win against a slumping Federer at this years French Open, he has no chance of winning RG next year with Nadal, Federer and Djokovic all clearly superior on clay to him. Federer didn't have a tough draw at this years French Open, he was just playing so bad he mad it look tough, I mean the only match he played well in was the final against a clearly nervous Soderling.

Laughable. Fed's draw was a lot tougher than Sampras' French draws in 95 and 97 for starters.

Delpo has a good chance at the French, although Rafa has to be the favorite. Rafa may need Fed to beat Delpo in order to win the French, though.

ASL
09-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Off topic!!!

Sorry, i will quit. :(

flying24
09-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Slumping Federer. The same Federer who won Madrid, the French Open, and Wimbledon all in a row around that time. Yeah that makes alot of sense.

Del Potro has a real shot to win the French next year. The way he is manhandling Rafa on hard courts, unless Rafas form improves greatly (which it definitely could since he is really off base now) he would have a hard time beating Del Potro even on clay. The high balls wont bother Del Potro at all, if Del Potro keeps going like he is now he will be very scary for Rafa to play on clay, especialy as it isnt certain if Rafa will ever get back to his 08 level again or not. He nearly beat Federer at this years French and just beat him on Federers favorite surface. Of course he can beat Federer. Djokovic is stagnant and being passed by. Del Potro is simply a better player than Djokovic right now and next time they play will probably win whether it be on hard courts, indoors, or clay.

drwood
09-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I fully support this thread idea. Del Potro is the man.

Delpo should win the sportsmanship award this year; I'd like to see him or Nadal win it.

Love Game
09-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I think an encounter between Murray and Del Potro at the AO would be very interesting. I mean, at the moment Murray has his number on hard court.

How about in the masters in london later this year?

anybody know what surface that w/b on?

ASL
09-17-2009, 02:06 PM
How about in the masters in london later this year?

anybody know what surface that w/b on?

I assume it will be on a fast HC. Murray's favorite! :twisted:

Love Game
09-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Of course we love him forever! More if he wins DC next year with Nalby.:)

I still think that he should have skipped the Masters last year to be in full health for the DC final:oops:

I still love you, random guy.
BUT
what's your assessment of the fact that Delpo won ?both of? his DC matches @ Czech Republic, but the team let HIM down and lost overall?

This is the case where delpo did his part but the team still did not win, proving once again, that it takes an ENTIRE team to win the DC! :D

Cesc Fabregas
09-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Slumping Federer. The same Federer who won Madrid, the French Open, and Wimbledon all in a row around that time. Yeah that makes alot of sense.
Del Potro has a real shot to win the French next year. The way he is manhandling Rafa on hard courts, unless Rafas form improves greatly (which it definitely could since he is really off base now) he would have a hard time beating Del Potro even on clay. He nearly beat Federer at this years French and just beat him on Federers favorite surface. Of course he can beat Federer. Djokovic is stagnant and being passed by. Del Potro is simply a better player than Djokovic right now and next time they play will probably win whether it be on hard courts, indoors, or clay.

Federer was a nervous wreck all French Open and even more so when Nadal got knocked out early, he was 5-1 down in the third set against Acasuso, a set down to Mathieu and was 2 sets down to Haas.

The answer to your other point, Del Potro aint got a whole lot got going for him against Nadal on clay, his serve becomes less effective, his groundstrokes become less pentrating, Nadal groundstrokes are more effective and Nadal's defence becomes better. Fully fit Nadal will have no problems with Del Potro on clay.

Love Game
09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
I assume it will be on a fast HC. Murray's favorite! :twisted:

In that case, I'll certainly be looking forward to their possible matchup @ TMC 2009 ... will you?!?! :) :D :twisted:

drwood
09-17-2009, 02:14 PM
In that case, I'll certainly be looking forward to their possible matchup @ TMC 2009 ... will you?!?! :) :D :twisted:

I hope he beats Murray twice at the TMC :).

flying24
09-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Federer was a nervous wreck all French Open and even more so when Nadal got knocked out early, he was 5-1 down in the third set against Acasuso, a set down to Mathieu and was 2 sets down to Haas.

The answer to your other point, Del Potro aint got a whole lot got going for him against Nadal on clay, his serve becomes less effective, his groundstrokes become less pentrating, Nadal groundstrokes are more effective and Nadal's defence becomes better. Fully fit Nadal will have no problems with Del Potro on clay.

Time will tell I guess. Alot of it depends if Nadal returns to 100%. You seem to disregard the possability he may have already lost a bit of speed or something with his latest injuries, and that he is becoming even more injury prone and it wont be easy to be fully fit again.

drwood
09-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Rafa's high balls don't bother Delpo, and they wouldn't on clay either. Delpo was spinning in 1st serves and still beating Fed from the baseline; he could do the same to Rafa. Plus Delpo has beaten Rafa 3 straight times, and did better in the French last year than Rafa.

Rafa is slight favorite over Delpo on clay, but its only slight.

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Roddick is much better then Chang. Change made 2 slams finals, Andy 5. also Andy has one of the biggest serves on the planet, Chang's weapon was his legs.

drwood
09-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Roddick is much better then Chang. Change made 2 slams finals, Andy 5. also Andy has one of the biggest serves on the planet, Chang's weapon was his legs.

First of all, Chang made 4 slam finals, not 2 (89 and 95 French, 96 Aus, 96 US). Secondly, Chang has more MS titles (7 vs. 4), including the most Indian Wells Masters in history (tied with Fed at 3 each).

Roddick has had a slightly better career, but their overall achievements are very similar.

On the subject of Delpo, I don't think he'll become like Roddick, b/c he's already won a slam without having to dodge players he has bad records against (Roddick won in 03 without having to face Federer or Agassi, both of whom owned him, while Delpo confronted Rafa and Fed and beat both). Therefore, when he meets them in future slams, he should be able to beat them there as well.

flying24
09-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Well Del Potro didnt play Murray or Djokovic at this years U.S Open. His head to head with Djokovic is a fluke though as all matches were before the new Del Potro and I doubt he will have much problem with Djokovic in the future. Murray could be a trickier proposition, but it is kind of early to tell as they have only played 2 matches since Del Potro reached the next level.

Emelia21
09-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I am not ready to join a Appreciation thread for him, I am most concerned how he will react to this GS win :cry: I am happy he won his 1st GS don't get me wrong :) but after Novaks 1st GS win and nothing since :roll: I hope he can back up this great win :|

jjermann
09-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Rafa's high balls don't bother Delpo, and they wouldn't on clay either. Delpo was spinning in 1st serves and still beating Fed from the baseline; he could do the same to Rafa. Plus Delpo has beaten Rafa 3 straight times, and did better in the French last year than Rafa.

Rafa is slight favorite over Delpo on clay, but its only slight.

like i have said it was his GAMEPLAN to take pace off his serve, he wasnt only spinning it, he was aiming Federer body and almost all his serves were high kick serves Federer BACKHAND... so he wasnt only spinning it in. trust me he doesnt do it anymore, against Federer it was exception because his backhand return is so weak.

CCNM
09-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Anybody who beats Roger or Rafa for a Grand Slam title gets my respect! :)

Love Game
09-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Awesome shot, thanks for sharing!

youre welcome!
here are a few more from the day after the championship, when delpo was taken on a whirlwind photo op to a bunch of the morning shows that are televised in New York and the Empire State buiding:

http://i30.tinypic.com/1k6tg.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/20usk9c.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/2m43mn9.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com/kd3ayu.jpg

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I thought that Nalbandian didn't mind Delpo not playing DC b/c Nalbandian wanted all the glory for their expected win over Spain w/o Rafa in the final...guess that didn't work out too well.

BTW, any word on whether Nalbandian has congratulated Delpo? Maybe this will motivate him to actually work hard, since no one cares about him anymore in Argentina as top banana.

Nalbandian congratulated DelPo yesterday. And he said that he is now thinking about winning 2010 Davis Cup (!!!). Last year, these 2 quareled because DP went to Masters Cup and got injured, and so wasn't ready for DC. Now, Nalby thinks they can do damage in 2010.

Love Game
09-17-2009, 05:15 PM
I am a fan of women's tennis first and foremost (can anyone tell??) but I can now say I have a favorite male player...I love it when people say "You can't"and someone goes out and proves them wrong!
This is just the beginning, I think, for Juan Martin. Many more great things coming!!!
Coincidentally (?) the same issue of TENNIS magazine that featured Roger on the cover as the GOAT (and deservedly so) has a nice piece on Juan Martin's inside-in forehand, which he used to such devastating effect the last two weeks.
I love the idea for this thread. Now we who were never all that crazy about Roger or Nadal have a place to go...

Nice to meet you, ZhengJieisagoddess! :)
Your goddess is one of those they thought was too small .... but she's proved them wrong with her big game! They say Juan Martin is too big. hahaha .... Thanks for your positive input! :D

Love Game
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Nalbandian congratulated DelPo yesterday. And he said that he is now thinking about winning 2010 Davis Cup (!!!). Last year, these 2 quareled because DP went to Masters Cup and got injured, and so wasn't ready for DC. Now, Nalby thinks they can do damage in 2010.

But in between DC 2008 and DC 2009 (on indoor hard vs. Czech Republic), delPotro and Nalbandian teamed up for Men's Doubles at Indian Wells and were getting along quite well! In fact, it seemed as if they were practicing for their upcoming DC in July. Unfortunately, nalby had to undergo hip surgery and missed the July DC. Hoping Nalby is on his way back...I miss him! :)

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/BNP+Paribas+Open+Day+8+vQLM8gDFtLCl.jpg

jwbarrientos
09-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Congratulation Delpo, we appreciate you... but you know Davis Cup is needed to be the man seated next to Maradona, Ginobili, Fangio, Sabatini, Vilas ... :mrgreen:

pug
09-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I enjoyed seeing him win, and he was very gracious, complementing Fed during the ceremony. I look forward to more great play from Delpo and more great matches. He seems like a nice young man.

pug

Yenster
09-17-2009, 08:31 PM
I hope Del Po wins 10 more.

Talker
09-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I enjoyed seeing him win, and he was very gracious, complementing Fed during the ceremony. I look forward to more great play from Delpo and more great matches. He seems like a nice young man.

pug

Everyones nice after winning. :)

But yeah, Potro seems nice and showed respect/compliment to Fed.

That's 2 times this year a couple players came out hitting bombs, Soderling and Potro, they did it long enough to win. Knocking off the favorites.

Others will see this and work on it some at practice I guess.

EtePras
09-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Chang was miles better on clay than that chap.

LMAO why don't you check the H2H between them on clay? And before you bring in the usual "omg out of his prime!!!" excuse, realize that Roddick was fresh out of the juniors.

ipitythefool
09-17-2009, 09:52 PM
people love to jump on the winner's bandwagon

Eviscerator
09-17-2009, 10:28 PM
[CENTER]Thought I should start a thread for the man some on this forum said would never win a grand slam.

Actually he has not won a grand slam, only a single slam so far. :mrgreen:

I cannot imagine anyone making such a prediction considering how talented and young he is. It was and is evident to anyone with tennis knowledge that he has the tools and potential to be a great player and is certainly capable of winning a slam.

zagor
09-18-2009, 01:57 AM
Big congrats to Delpo and I'm glad for LG who supported him all along.I like his game and his calm and proffesional demanor on court.

jean pierre
09-18-2009, 02:50 AM

It's not sure ! Vilas won 3 different Grand Slams, ans won on clay and on grass + 1 Masters. Del Potro is very young, he can do better, but wait and see.
However, Vilas will always be the man who creates tennis in Argentina.

ghostbear
09-18-2009, 05:33 AM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg228/gemjl/050dfddbebb7f03e0dc00f1d2fff2fe5-ge.jpg
The Return of the King :cool:

Spider
09-18-2009, 05:44 AM
Congrats on winning a slam but this hype is getting a bit too much. I hope he gets back to earth fast.

ghostbear
09-18-2009, 05:45 AM
http://i32.tinypic.com/noernm.jpg
:):lol:;)

random guy
09-18-2009, 05:58 AM
I still love you, random guy.
BUT
what's your assessment of the fact that Delpo won ?both of? his DC matches @ Czech Republic, but the team let HIM down and lost overall?

This is the case where delpo did his part but the team still did not win, proving once again, that it takes an ENTIRE team to win the DC! :D

Yeah, love's mutual :) I keep the feud about the DC more just to pull your leg a little than for anything else. And for Delpo, yep, he's got "DC hero" next year written all over his face. With Nalby and him in full health, there's no stopping us! (unless is Spain on clay)

drwood
09-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Congrats on winning a slam but this hype is getting a bit too much. I hope he gets back to earth fast.

No, the hype is appropriate. When has Murray beaten Rafa and Roger in the same tournament, let alone in best of five sets?

Love Game
09-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Congratulation Delpo, we appreciate you... but you know Davis Cup is needed to be the man seated next to Maradona, Ginobili, Fangio, Sabatini, Vilas ... :mrgreen

I'm amazed how well the 20-year-old is handling all the pressure so far. Do you remember what you were doing at 20, jwbarrientos? Delpo won both his singles on hard court in Czech Republic in July, and I have no doubt that someday he will be on a winning davis cup team.... but as July DC proved, he cant do it all by himself. Happily, he's already a sports hero back home.....

http://i34.tinypic.com/1y8l07.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/8ys1f4.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/sn1nc5.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/33w9sua.jpg

abmk
09-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Congrats del potro. Monumental achievement that, beating nadal and federer back to back in a slam. Totally obiliterated nadal and hung on well against federer .

When I saw him get obiliterated by fed at the AO this year, I thought he was wayyyyy over-rated ( on the basis of his summer run previous year ) - I thought he was just a consistent baseliner with no special weapons or mental toughness

Then I saw him out-tough nadal - come back from being 2 breaks down in the final set in their miami match - I thought ok, he has some guts, it was his first win against any of fed/nadal/djokovic/murray - his BH was excellent in that match, his FH not so much

Then saw parts of his match vs fed at madrid - he was being troubled by fed's variety .

Then he had a very impressive run in the FO - he was very consistent and frustrated tsonga hugely, then dealt with robredo rather easily, it culminated in a great 5-setter with fed - his serve was monstrous for the first 3 sets and he was hitting huge off the ground, both FH and BH . Some of his FHs in that match were flat out ridiculous !

He dealt with fed's slices very very well - something he was having trouble with just a week before ! Fed outlasted him, but this match confirmed to me that he was the real deal . Loads of improvement . Very impressive .

Then wimbledon, he was taken down in straights by hewitt, not such a big surprise considering that's his worst surface ( will probably remain so ) and hewitt's a former wimby champion who knows how to play on grass ...

Ok, moving on , he had a pretty good summer HC season, out-toughing roddick twice, hewitt once, but finally fell to murray ...

His run-up to the USO semis wasn't as impressive as his run-up to the FO semis though he was playing well. Then he played great against nadal - blasting him off the court -also out-toughing him on the important points.

Then the finals, he played a good , but not a great match, but he outlasted fed ( who was pretty sloppy) . He had moments where he was going down/commiting mistakes, but he hung on .

I remember 2 FHs he hit towards the end where I couldn't see the ball and had to wait for the replay to see if it was in or out - they were so hard and flat !

All in all congrats to del potro, he's made huge strides this year .

luckyboy1300
09-18-2009, 08:01 PM
for me the biggest improvement in del potro was his mental strength. he is now very capable of saving himself under immense pressure (breakpoints, etc.). plus the development of his serve as a very big weapon. that gave him the added confidence on his groundies and he was able to add more firepower in them.

UsualSuspect
09-18-2009, 08:07 PM
http://i32.tinypic.com/noernm.jpg

was this necessary? I can play at that game too.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PNWPxvREDPU/SlF6IqmNAVI/AAAAAAAAJj4/nj4JUkZHsxE/s400/roger-federer-15-grand-slam-trophies.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0caF1jd5eE3vE/610x.jpg

Love Game
09-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Congrats del potro. Monumental achievement that, beating nadal and federer back to back in a slam. Totally obiliterated nadal and hung on well against federer .

When I saw him get obiliterated by fed at the AO this year, I thought he was wayyyyy over-rated ( on the basis of his summer run previous year ) - I thought he was just a consistent baseliner with no special weapons or mental toughness

Then I saw him out-tough nadal - come back from being 2 breaks down in the final set in their miami match - I thought ok, he has some guts, it was his first win against any of fed/nadal/djokovic/murray - his BH was excellent in that match, his FH not so much

Then the finals, he played a good , but not a great match, but he outlasted fed ( who was pretty sloppy) . He had moments where he was going down/commiting mistakes, but he hung on .

I remember 2 FHs he hit towards the end where I couldn't see the ball and had to wait for the replay to see if it was in or out - they were so hard and flat !

All in all congrats to del potro, he's made huge strides this year .

Good analysis ... I also think (and Juan acknowledged it in the presser afterwards) that the crowd's support helped a lot (something he did not enjoy at the French, where they were cheering his mistakes)

Remember the time the courtside wellwishers extended their hands to Delpo to slap skin when he won a particularly difficult point? There were a lot of people cheering him on, and that brought up his spirits (I think it was toward the end ofthe second set) from losing the first set and helped him win the second set!

I'm happy to see Delpo getting more popular support. The crowd there were really liking it when he hit the accurate and powerful groundies! :)

====== ETA:
looking back, I think that happened when delpo broke feds in the 4th set to go up 4-2. either way, i remember being even a bit surprised that del was getting so much support in what had been feds playground for five straight years ..... maybe fans are ready for a bit more variety? I must admit i was getting a bit bored with the top four.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2im5q90.jpg