PDA

View Full Version : Roger Fined

OddJack
09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
1500 bucks, For profanity. Pretty stupid. If I were him, I would threath them not to play in their tourny so they would lose hundreds of thousands.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news_digest/Federer_fined_for_profanity_at_US_Open.html?siteSe ct=104&sid=11233104&ty=nd

GasquetGOAT
09-17-2009, 01:24 PM
$1500 for "*****"?

Now when are they going to suspend Serena?

djones
09-17-2009, 01:25 PM
From reading the article: what did Nestor do?

batz
09-17-2009, 01:32 PM
$1500 for "*****"?

Now when are they going to suspend Serena?

Don't forget the 'f**kings' too :)

flyinghippos101
09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
1500 bucks, For profanity. Pretty stupid. If I were him, I would threath them not to play in their tourny so they would lose hundreds of thousands.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news_digest/Federer_fined_for_profanity_at_US_Open.html?siteSe ct=104&sid=11233104&ty=nd

Are you serious? The rules extend to all players, regardless of ranking and number of titles, if they took a skip on the incident, then what kind of example would they be setting to the other players?

mrmo1115
09-17-2009, 01:36 PM

I would like to find out also.

pmerk34
09-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Are you serious? The rules extend to all players, regardless of ranking and number of titles, if they took a skip on the incident, then what kind of example would they be setting to the other players?

The same example they set with McEnroe and Connors for years. And the other players didn't turn unto profane jerks

icedevil0289
09-17-2009, 01:39 PM

exactly. He cursed, he got fined. Fed is not above the rules. Got that fed haters/*********s, fed is not above the rules.

Moose Malloy
09-17-2009, 01:40 PM

NEW YORK -- Canada's Daniel Nestor is out of the U.S. Open after an ill-tempered quarter-final loss in men's doubles action Tuesday.

The Toronto native and his Serbian partner Nenad Zimonjic suffered a 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-0 loss to Max Mirnyi of Belarus and Andy Ram of Israel.

Nestor was furious with chair umpire Lynn Welch for not controlling what appeared to be a rowdy bunch who stood out in the sparcely populated Grandstand stadium. They yelled and distracted in support of Mirnyi and Ram, which bothered Nestor and Zimonjic enough to complain.

"Your job is to say something, this is not Davis Cup," the 37-year-old Canadian told the chair. "There is something called sportsmanship."

He and the burly Ram then exchanged harsh words after the loss.

"I don't mind losing if we get beat," said Nestor. "But not losing if some guy in the crowd is acting like a jackass. I remember him from Cincinnati last year making the same kind of noises and clapping between serves.

"I got in his face about it and got a warning (fifth game of the third set). I asked Ram about it in the locker-room and he claimed not to know anything -- said he was too focused on his game or something."

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=290440

OddJack
09-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Yes, serious.. If they want to fine they should fire that incompetent umpire.

truthorbust
09-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Roger was right to say what he said.

If anything Del Potro should be the one to pick up a fine or 2. He stalled and questioned the umpire before he made his challenge and that took way too long . Also he was aced at one point and was really trying to read that serve but failed and after the ball had hit the curtain and ground after it had passed him , he decide to claim he was not ready due to some paper or what not.. The ace was nullified and Fed lost the point that was palyed instead of getting the ace he had delivered

Besides that Del Potro played a great great match.

thejoe
09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Don't forget the 'f**kings' too :)

I'm sure he would rather they were forgotten! :p

T Woody
09-17-2009, 01:52 PM
If anything Del Potro should be the one to pick up a fine or 2. He stalled and questioned the umpire before he made his challenge and that took way too long.

:) You're not serious about this right? This type of thing stems from officials and tourney directors giving far too much leeway to the players and not standing their ground on the so called 2 second rule.

batz
09-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm sure he would rather they were forgotten! :p

I still can't believe Sky stayed with him and didn't go to the break.:)

I thought it was great - Roger was going absolutely tonto!

jmverdugo
09-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, seems more than fear to me, he did the wrong thing he should be fined, what about when he broke the racquet I am pretty sure he got fined that time too.

ASL
09-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Giving that small sum to charity would be a wise decision.

rocket

That's like... $15 to him.

P_Agony
Roger was right to say what he said.

If anything Del Potro should be the one to pick up a fine or 2. He stalled and questioned the umpire before he made his challenge and that took way too long . Also he was aced at one point and was really trying to read that serve but failed and after the ball had hit the curtain and ground after it had passed him , he decide to claim he was not ready due to some paper or what not.. The ace was nullified and Fed lost the point that was palyed instead of getting the ace he had delivered

Besides that Del Potro played a great great match.

Fed's mistake was that he let that get to him instad of just staying focused and winning the match. I'm not saying he'd have won the match if none of this would have happened, but I'm pretty sure Fed wouldn't have been so angry as he was.

rocket
09-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Giving that small sum to charity would be a rice decision.

I agree. One could also buy inner-city kids a few racquets...

pmerk34
09-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree. One could also buy inner-city kids a few racquets...

Black kids don't play much tennis. Maybe that would help?

rocket
09-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Fed's mistake was that he let that get to him instad of just staying focused and winning the match. I'm not saying he'd have won the match if none of this would have happened, but I'm pretty sure Fed wouldn't have been so angry as he was.

Tennis players are known for taking it out on the umpires. Fed was extremely frustrated with his serve that day.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 02:04 PM
It's no big deal really. They all get fined for saying things on court.

I still can't believe Sky stayed with him and didn't go to the break.:)

Yeah, I watched the recorded match from Shy and there was the whole thing. ESPN, on the other hand, cut to the commercials when he was going nuts.

P_Agony
09-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Tennis players are known for taking it out on the umpires. Fed was extremely frustrated with his serve that day.

More frustrating was that he finally hits a serve and it's being taken away from him.

pmerk34
09-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Which is why I was glad Serena took it out on the moron who made that awful call. Instead of yelling at the ump who had nothing to do with it

JennyS
09-17-2009, 02:07 PM
LOL, he paid more for a haircut:D

maddogz32
09-17-2009, 02:09 PM
he said s**t and F**k at least twice

Tshooter
09-17-2009, 02:14 PM
No one cares about doubles at the USO unless it's the Williams or the Bryans. That's reality. There had to be 10x the number of people at the food court then at the Men's finals this year.

Nestor should be thankful people actually showed up and were interested in the match.

Bud
09-17-2009, 02:15 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

If Serena deserved it... so did he.

thejoe
09-17-2009, 02:17 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

If Serena deserved it... so did he.

Right, death threat (no matter whether or not she meant it) f-bomb. They're the same.

Cesc Fabregas
09-17-2009, 02:17 PM
They should have taken the sportsman awards of him aswell.

pmerk34
09-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Right, death threat (no matter whether or not she meant it) f-bomb. They're the same.

Death threat? has the FBI been informed?

Bud
09-17-2009, 02:20 PM
They should have taken the sportsman awards of him aswell.

If he gets that lame sportsman award after this year's multiple outbursts, a smashed racquet and a string of profanities... it's more of a joke than I already assumed.

topspin
09-17-2009, 02:20 PM
They should have given him a discount on the fine for making it sound so classy:)

Well it's right that the rules were followed with the fine. I'm sure it's just gum money to him. The ref should also get reprimanded for allowing that to happen in the first place. They should make it clear to all players as to how much time is tolerated before a challenge is called and whether or not they are allowed to consult with their coaches. From what I know, this is not allowed, but I'm not 100% sure since it seems to happen a lot.

quest01
09-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Federer shouldn't have been fined for using simple profanity. I can understand why Serena was fined for using profanity and telling someone that "I want to kill you" but not Federer. Federer and Serena are completely different individuals, Federer has a lot of class while Serena is all trash.

rocket
09-17-2009, 02:25 PM

I think because they're told it's a sissy sport.

JennyS
09-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Federer shouldn't have been fined for using simple profanity. I can understand why Serena was fined for using profanity and telling someone that "I want to kill you" but not Federer. Federer and Serena are completely different individuals, Federer has a lot of class while Serena is all trash.

http://static.open.salon.com/files/thatsracistgm751224856460.gif
(just kidding)

Gorecki
09-17-2009, 02:51 PM

i see you believe Roger is bigger than the game!

well...

what can we say about that...?

ksbh
09-17-2009, 02:51 PM
If they give Federer the Stefan Edberg sportsmanship award again this year, that award will have as much credibility or value as used Kleenex tissues!

If he gets that lame sportsman award after this year's multiple outbursts, a smashed racquet and a string of profanities... it's more of a joke than I already assumed.

ksbh
09-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Exactly! John Mcnroe came and went. So did Pete & Andre. Federer's absence will make no difference. The game has survived over a 100 years!

And by the way, there were probably more people cheering for Juan MDP anyways!

i see you believe Roger is bigger than the game!

well...

what can we say about that...?

OddJack
09-17-2009, 02:54 PM
0.005 of his this year's income

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/one-word-costs-federer-1500/

still, I think they should have let it go.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/09/17/sports/tennis/17federer.480.jpg

35ft6
09-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Fed should have pulled the money out of his socks.

The cynic in me wonders if this fine was issued partly so that they can minimize the events surrounding Serena. You know, she was fined, but hey, so was Fed, the most beloved player in tennis. Stuff happens.

Bhagi Katbamna
09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I think because they're told it's a sissy sport.

Perhaps if one of the players went into the stands and started a riot like Ron Artest?

luckyboy1300
09-17-2009, 03:00 PM
If they give Federer the Stefan Edberg sportsmanship award again this year, that award will have as much credibility or value as used Kleenex tissues!

yes. just give it to nadal. everybody happy.

Tyrus
09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
The fine of pocket change is whatever to Fed, and just a way for the USTA to say "we don't tolerate profanity." Think of the children!

However the real issue is that the chair ump should be fired for letting that happen.

ksbh
09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Or to Juan MDP, U.S Open Champion 2009!

yes. just give it to nadal. everybody happy.

pound cat
09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=290440

what did he do? They lost the match and therefore were "out of the tournament".

BBC Sept 17 Canada's Daniel Nestor was docked $5,000 (Ģ3,000) for unsportsmanlike conduct towards a fan

Chadwixx
09-17-2009, 03:08 PM

Kinda like when jimmy "cracker" carter was awarded the nobel peace prize for disarming north korea

Fed was almost provoked though with the incompetence shown.

Bud
09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Kinda like when jimmy "cracker" carter was awarded the nobel peace prize for disarming north korea

Fed was almost provoked though with the incompetence shown.

Please save the right-wing talking points for the Rants & Raves forum :oops:

trix123
09-17-2009, 03:17 PM
They should give the money to charity.........

Chadwixx
09-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Please save the right-wing talking points for the Rants & Raves forum :oops:

"If they give Federer the Stefan Edberg sportsmanship award again this year, that award will have as much credibility or value as used Kleenex tissues!"

Feel free to make a better comparison, if not, then you know what todo :)

darthpwner
09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
"If they give Federer the Stefan Edberg sportsmanship award again this year, that award will have as much credibility or value as used Kleenex tissues!"

They should give the Stefan Edberg sportsmanship award to Nadal, who would never ever curse out the umpire. Unlike that arrogant a-hole Federer:). That being said, you do NOT want to mess with the Maestro. I heard Chuck Norris looks under his bed in fear of Roger.

Cindysphinx
09-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Fed should get the European Accent Discount. To my American ears, the sound of him dropping the F-bomb is high-larious! :)

dh003i
09-17-2009, 03:50 PM
The fine was the right decision...another right decision would be fining or firing that umpire for not doing his job and making up **** as he went along.

danb
09-17-2009, 03:51 PM

They dared fine Fed !!! OMG - isn't he greater than the game? He can't be fined. :twisted::twisted::twisted: He should be able to swear all day - tell us how you really fell Roger.

AlexTennisAllDayLong
09-17-2009, 03:53 PM
he would gladly donate 1500$ lol, hardly pocket change

フェデラー
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
that is like 1/10000000000000000000000 of his income. he does not care. nor should any of us.

edberg505
09-17-2009, 03:57 PM

LOL, why get upset at the award? It's his peers who vote for him. Call them the joke.

Fedace
09-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Roger TIPS his Doorman $1500 every single day......might as well kiss his rear and tell him sorry Roger we fined you, we had to make look legit................lol

UsualSuspect
09-17-2009, 04:03 PM
LOL, why get upset at the award? It's his peers who vote for him. Call them the joke.
Didnt you hear? The losers on this forum are on the committee for the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award. They really no what goes on. :lol:

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Didnt you hear? The losers on this forum are on the committee for the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award. They really no what goes on. :lol:

He deserved his awards before this year. But I sincerely believe it would be a scandal if he also gets it this year. If they award it to him for 2009, then there is something wrong with the decision making committee. We'll see what they do.

edberg505
09-17-2009, 04:29 PM
He deserved his awards before this year. But I sincerely believe it would be a scandal if he also gets it this year. If they award it to him for 2009, then there is something wrong with the decision making committee. We'll see what they do.

Then that would me there is something wrong with all of the other players.

VivalaVida
09-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Part of the sportsmanship award is promoting the game.

the player who, throughout the year, conducted himself at the highest level of professionalism and integrity, who competed with his fellow players with the utmost spirit of fairness and who promoted the game through his off-court activities

I agree, Fed has been off his usual standards but he is still promoting the game more than any other player currently.

ghostbear
09-17-2009, 04:33 PM
What?!! How dare of them to fine the five-time Sportsmanship award winner!

malakas
09-17-2009, 04:34 PM
right decision.Roger may be the GOAT but he's not above the rules.

pound cat
09-17-2009, 04:38 PM
The ever quotable Safin had somehting to say about this issue as well

Oh, don't get there, because otherwise you're gonna see a lot of balls flying around and racquets, and a lot of swearing. I don't think you want that extreme.
— Marat Safin on how it works if players are allowed to express their emotions without censure / June 23, 2009

jrod
09-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm still wondering what price Jake Garner might have to pay for his role in this. It was perhaps one of the most dubious performances by an umpire at a GS final I've seen in quite a while.

Woodrow- What price does an umpire pay for poor execution?

Chopin
09-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm still wondering what price Jake Garner might have to pay for his role in this. It was perhaps one of the most dubious performances by an umpire at a GS final I've seen in quite a while.

I completely agree. The guy utterly failed as umpire. Federer is right--again.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Then that would me there is something wrong with all of the other players.

No, he was OK until this year, and he deserved it.

But if he gets it for this year (2009), then there is something wrong with the players. I will repeat this next year if he gets it.

malakas
09-17-2009, 04:50 PM

I hope someone removes him from umpiring at least at this high level.Like Grand Slams..

フェデラー
09-17-2009, 04:52 PM
really the only player that is more sportsmanslike than fed this year is del po. Murray? No chance in hell. Djokovic? Smashed more rackets than Fed in his entire career. Nadal? Constantly complains to the ATP as well as "suspicious' comments and actions. Fed? Said **** to the umpire and smashed like 1 racket when it looked like his career was in a tail spin for the worst.

BreakPoint
09-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Funny, because on the radio today, they kept saying that Federer was fined for $15,000. And I kept wondering why his fine was worse than Serena's given that Serena's tantrum was much worse and she actually directly threatened a linesperson, whereas, Federer just argued with the umpire (which many players do) and used a curse word that was not directed directly at the umpire.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Funny, because on the radio today, they kept saying that Federer was fined for $15,000. And I kept wondering why his fine was worse than Serena's given that Serena's tantrum was much worse and she actually directly threatened a linesperson, whereas, Federer just argued with the umpire (which many players do) and used a curse word that was not directed directly at the umpire.

I would love to hear Federer say the same thing that Serena said, but in his Swiss accent. :)

Fedace
09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
What?!! How dare of them to fine the five-time Sportsmanship award winner!

Same Rule applies to everyone, even the GOAT.................. of selfishness..

OJ ROD
09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
After seeing the video on youtube. I like him all the more.

bhallic24
09-17-2009, 05:21 PM

yup, and even if they did where would they play? In some beat up alleyway? HEll you'd be sending them to their grave cuz that where they'd get shot. Let's try to think of another charity lol, instead of the black-kids-from-the-inner-city-who-like-to-play-tennis-club.

TennisandMusic
09-17-2009, 05:30 PM
bhallic, what a completely absurd and insulting post. For crying out loud.

OTMPut
09-17-2009, 05:32 PM
the player who, throughout the year, conducted himself at the highest level of professionalism and integrity, who competed with his fellow players with the utmost spirit of fairness and who promoted the game through his off-court activities

I would like to know one player who has done better than Fed.

JennyS
09-17-2009, 07:21 PM
I personally, LOVED hearing Roger cuss:D I wonder how many different languages he can cuss in....

Lion King
09-17-2009, 07:25 PM

More like $1.50 :)

jwbarrientos
09-17-2009, 07:36 PM
So, "A ball in your f****g throat" costs $10K
and "sh*t" just 1.5k

Holy crap, Serena should learn to "sh*t"more:shock:

raiden031
09-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Oh well its deserved. He should've done a better job maintaining his composure. Its not a big deal but the fine is warranted. I mean they have strict rules about profanity on TV, especially given that the FCC is known to fine TV networks as much as $250,000 for each occurence of profanity.

RalphNYC
09-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Did Fed use the F word? I heard the whole thing, but I didn't hear that.

darthpwner
09-17-2009, 08:20 PM
yup, and even if they did where would they play? In some beat up alleyway? HEll you'd be sending them to their grave cuz that where they'd get shot. Let's try to think of another charity lol, instead of the black-kids-from-the-inner-city-who-like-to-play-tennis-club.

Dude that's so racist

Baikalic
09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
was fed fined for his profanity in the 2007 Wimbledon final? Then again, he only said $h!t, not the F word, if i recall correctly.

Lendl and Federer Fan
09-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Federer deserves this one.

JoshDragon
09-17-2009, 08:44 PM

If Roger is fined then Serena should be suspended for a year. Her outburst was way worse than anything Roger said.

Franz
09-17-2009, 08:47 PM

maybe the other players would stop sucking.... or something, the way i see it.... he shouldnt be fined post incident, maybe warned/point penalized but wth is this? anyone got video of this happening?

ninman
09-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Sounds like a witch hunt to me. Just the ATP trying to show there doing something to cover up for a criminally incompetent umpire for the final.

DjordjeRosic
09-17-2009, 09:48 PM

Thats more like $1.50 to him with the 50 million that hes made in prize money alone XD.

mandy01
09-17-2009, 10:15 PM
The punishment must fit the crime. Multiple audible profanities being spewed at the chair umpire? How did Federer not at least get an immediate warning for unsportsmanlike conduct? Immediate default would have been more appropriate. Jake Garner failed in his duty, as did ATP and ITF. Thats because the profanity was used while making a statement and he wasnt swearing 'at' the umpire..wasnt calling him names or something.

mandy01
09-17-2009, 10:36 PM
That's a shaky proposition. It gives shaky ground to justify Garner's failure to default Federer immediately from the match. Still, Garner's failure to issue immediate warning for unsportsmanlike conduct remains unexplained. Multiplke audible obscenities are just that - multiple audible obscenities. The chair umpire is required by the rules to issue a warning immediately. Jake Garner failed in his duty.Jake Garner was also incompetent which why he got it on him in the first place .
Incompetence by an umpire is just as worse so Garner had no grounds for giving him a warning let alone defaulting him.Besides there are players who've done much worse than Roger and still dont get warnings.I dont expect you to geddit though gj.

mandy01
09-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Players are warned routinely for much lesser infractions. Jake Garner clearly failed in his duty in this case. Default was in order, but warning was a bare minimum. And what do you mean by "which why he got it on him in the first place"? Who got what on whom there Mandy?:-? You dont even know what happened :lol:
Duuuh..you guys ask same questions dozens of times :lol:And no,how often does Andy Roddick get warned?And default? OK.I'm done talking to you,you're clueless gj :lol:
You DONT default a player for using profanity unless the offense is waaay too much and if the insult wasnt directed at the umpire its his choice whether to give the warning or not.
I told you incomptence by Jake Garner barely left him grounds to complain.He called it on himself.

Swissv2
09-17-2009, 11:10 PM
ATP should fine thier UMPs for being so bad.

ceberus
09-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Does it matter to him?

mandy01
09-17-2009, 11:16 PM
ATP should fine thier UMPs for being so bad.Garner wasnt even telling the crowd to be quiet during points and they were extremely noisy ( some were drunk and clueless about tennis itself :lol:).Incompetence at its best.

Eviscerator
09-17-2009, 11:36 PM

More like $ 0.15

mandy01
09-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I DO know what happened during the match. I DIDN'T know what was going through your (uh...) mind when you posted "which why he got it on him in the first place". I still don't know.

The insult was clearly directed at the umpire. Default would have been appropriate. Warning for audible obsenities (multiple instance) is mandatory. Jake Garner failed in his duty.
I think I made my points very clear. I doubt there is any use in explaining them to you again. Comprehension fail as usual gj? Roger wasnt abusing the umpire.Profanity was used while making a statement.Two different things.Again you simply show you are clueless.
And yes,you dont know because AGAIN you fail to comprehend.

Eviscerator
09-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Dude that's so racist

It may have been phrased in an inarticulate manner, but I would not call it racist.
The problem with calling everything to do with race a racist comment, is that it diminishes the true meaning of the word when real racism is expressed.
The USTA is perceived to give a disproportional amount to inner city kids which are typically black. Pointing that out or even objecting to it is not in and of itself racist.

rafan
09-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Oh well its deserved. He should've done a better job maintaining his composure. Its not a big deal but the fine is warranted. I mean they have strict rules about profanity on TV, especially given that the FCC is known to fine TV networks as much as $250,000 for each occurence of profanity.

Now this is new to me here in the uk. After 9pm its like another world - you only have to look as some of the celebrity chefs here who constantly use profane language under so called "stress" I think one of the shows is a usa import

The umpire was wrong in this instance and Federer was upholding the rules - in fact he was doing the umpires job. This is what the real debate should be about.

big bang
09-18-2009, 01:58 AM

So you believe that USO will have less visitors if Fedīs not playing.. LMAO:)
even the *******s will go anyway!

aphex
09-18-2009, 02:57 AM

of course there'll be fewer tickets sold if federer doesn't play.
what are you, stupid?

Knightmace
09-18-2009, 03:02 AM
It's not like Fed said anything TO the umpire like when Roddick called the umpire and idiot and got fined only 500 bucks.

raiden031
09-18-2009, 03:43 AM
The umpire was wrong in this instance and Federer was upholding the rules - in fact he was doing the umpires job. This is what the real debate should be about.

The umpire was wrong, but it was unecessary to use profanity to make a point. Fed lost his temper a little and violated the rules. This thread isn't about who was right, but only about Fed's violation.

Fedace
09-18-2009, 03:58 AM
I wonder what offensive acts he will commit against the Ump today ???

rafan
09-18-2009, 04:16 AM
Garner wasnt even telling the crowd to be quiet during points and they were extremely noisy ( some were drunk and clueless about tennis itself :lol:).Incompetence at its best.

Now this is something that really astounded me. The crowd control. They were allowed to shout, throw paper cups and be as volatile as they liked. No respect even when the players were serving. Before they start picking on the players for being abusive they want to work out just why this was a tournament that provoked this kind of reaction even in the most normal controlled players such as Federer

OJ ROD
09-18-2009, 06:14 AM
The punishment must fit the crime. Multiple audible profanities being spewed at the chair umpire? How did Federer not at least get an immediate warning for unsportsmanlike conduct? Immediate default would have been more appropriate. Jake Garner failed in his duty, as did ATP and ITF.

The umpire told him 'be quiet'. Federer had a point to make. If you had a valid point that unfair treatment was being handed out to you in a setting where rules are supposed to be set in stone, you're telling me you wouldn't get ****ed. He said ****, so what. Out the million things that he could've been justified in saying in that situation, ****, just using one curse word for emphasis not insult, is one of the least.

All-rounder
09-18-2009, 11:24 AM
More like 15 cent

swedechris
09-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Sounds like a witch hunt to me. Just the ATP trying to show there doing something to cover up for a criminally incompetent umpire for the final.

Exactly.. the ump was incredibly bad... Its a joke that Fed gets fined and the ump not . He( the ump) is trained to know the rules to use them , not school someone thats reminding him of them.

OddJack
09-18-2009, 12:19 PM

The ******s like you wouldnt go anyway, as you usually do to get your t shirt signed.

TheMusicLover
09-18-2009, 12:57 PM

ATP should fine thier UMPs for being so bad.

This.

Norm Chryst and Jake Garner both delivered an atrocious performance as an ump and should have been sacked at the spot.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
This.

Norm Chryst and Jake Garner both delivered an atrocious performance as an ump and should have been sacked at the spot.

Yeah, i think so. too.

10 char

Soianka
09-18-2009, 02:52 PM
It may have been phrased in an inarticulate manner, but I would not call it racist.
The problem with calling everything to do with race a racist comment, is that it diminishes the true meaning of the word when real racism is expressed.
The USTA is perceived to give a disproportional amount to inner city kids which are typically black. Pointing that out or even objecting to it is not in and of itself racist.

1. Of course the original quote was racist and inflammatory and offensive as I am certain the original poster intended it to me.

2. Whose perception is that inner city kids get more funding from the USTA? Because that certainly isn't the perception of those involved in USTA development programs. When's the last time either one of you have been to national training center? There aren't very many black players in them.

Soianka
09-18-2009, 02:53 PM
CORRECTION: 1. Of course the original quote was racist and inflammatory and offensive as I am certain the original poster intended it to be.

OddJack
09-18-2009, 03:25 PM
CORRECTION: 1. Of course the original quote was racist and inflammatory and offensive as I am certain the original poster intended it to be.

What quote are you reffering to?

Lifted
09-18-2009, 04:44 PM
It does not matter how atrocious the Ump was, Federer did not have to say sh-t or f-ck. I say, if the rule against obscenities is in place, then it should be enforced...against anybody, including Federer.

Noveson
09-18-2009, 04:51 PM

Seriously? Wow hah glad you aren't so talented, what an ***. $1500 for Federer is nothing, he wont even notice. For it to affect him at all you would have to get up into the millions. What an *** haha lets make all these people lose lots of money because you got fined an amount of money you will never even notice.

JankovicFan
09-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Federer is a player rep on the ATP board, and Serena is a rep on the WTA board. I wonder how those meetings would go if they discussed language and behavior code violations and penalties.

Because of the way it is handled in movies and non-network (unregulated) television, expecting complete decorum in tennis is ridiculous. I am all for civility and refinement, but it is not realistic to surround people with F-bomb type language and expect that it won't be in their vocabulary, especially if stressed and frustrated.

The real issue with the Serena incident is physically threatening an official, not looking up at the chair, but standing in a superior position closeby while holding a potential weapon. The defining moment, in my opinion, is when Serena went back a second time and scared the official out of her chair.

cueboyzn
09-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Seriously? Wow hah glad you aren't so talented, what an ***. $1500 for Federer is nothing, he wont even notice. For it to affect him at all you would have to get up into the millions. What an *** haha lets make all these people lose lots of money because you got fined an amount of money you will never even notice.

Federer made like $35million income last year alone. Probably more now per year after becoming the all-time Slam leader. Hes got over $50million in career earnings in just PRIZE MONEY ALONE. The guy is probably worth well over $150million or close to $200million more likely.

Does anyone on here really think a guy worth this much and who dropped $800 for a haircut in New York during the 2007 US Open would give a continental about a fifteen hundred dollar fine for a few swear words. Get real.

tomas9848
09-19-2009, 02:20 PM
pocket change for fed.

Tennis_Maestro
09-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Disgraceful.

Although $1500 is change for him anyway.

mandy01
09-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Federer did not have a valid point to make. Del Potro walked toward the ballmark while conversing with umpire. He then challenged the dubious line call.

Federer's so-called "emotional tantrum" was calculated gamesmanship tactic of Federer. Third set is crucial when opponents split first two sets in a slam. Leading 5-4 in the third set Federer spat out a disgusting tirade of profanities and insults toward both umpire and opponent, to throw off his opponent before critical service game. It worked! Del Potro could not hold serve in the next game, and lost the third set. Fortunately he came back in 5 to beat gamesman Federer.
LOL you dont even know what gamesmanship means.You're just a completely clueless kid,gj.And Del Po looked at his box before challenging ,I suppose thats allowed?
Roger's problem was the lack of clarity in rules for the challenge system.

mandy01
09-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I can hardly believe how little you understand of sports and tennis. Gamesmanship is the use of dubious (although not technically illegal) methods to win. You should know that by now.

Del Potro is no saint out there, make no mistake about that. His angry tirades against more talented Murray are well documented and remembered. But Del Potro did nothing wrong in this case.

If Federer does not understand tennis rules, he should not be on the court. That is simple. He did just enough with his profanities-laced ugly tirade to distract Del Potro before crucial service game in third set, as I explained already.
Oh the irony! And no need to tell me what gamesmanship means :lol: Roger's complaints were clearly to the Chair Umpire DURING the changeover.Del Potro had nothing whatsoever to be shaken about.Del Po is known to double fault on important points-its not the first time.You are turning a sheer coincidence into an act of gamesmanship.
"If Federer dosent understand the rules " what rules? Federer himself wasnt allowed to challenge inspite of the fact that he hadnt moved on to the next point and Del Po got away with his challenge.
And FYI-The rules of the challenge system havent been made clear in the first place.The rule says you have to challenge immediately but at the same time contradicts itself by saying if the player hasnt moved on to the next point he can challenge.Its good enough to get anyone riled up

UsualSuspect
09-19-2009, 11:53 PM
I can hardly believe how little you understand of sports and tennis. Gamesmanship is the use of dubious (although not technically illegal) methods to win. You should know that by now.

Del Potro is no saint out there, make no mistake about that. His angry tirades against more talented Murray are well documented and remembered. But Del Potro did nothing wrong in this case.

If Federer does not understand tennis rules, he should not be on the court. That is simple. He did just enough with his profanities-laced ugly tirade to distract Del Potro before crucial service game in third set, as I explained already.

Gamesmanship? Wow. You are really trying to dig up something that is non existent. Federer's tirade was to the umpire, Del potro paid zero attention to fed during the tirade. If you want to discuss gamesmanship, Nadalboy, look no further than the IW Nadal match against Roddick where Nadal couldnt have been more deliberate during the crucial second set tiebreaker. Almost taking up to 1 min 30 seconds :shock: By your low standards of judging gamesmanship, that probably fits under the category as well :rolleyes: unless of course jesusRafa is above such criticism.

UsualSuspect
09-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Time to switch sides is regulated by rules and enforced by umpire. When rule is broken umpire issues warning or penalty accordingly. No rule was broken by Nadal, and hence no warning from umpire there. Just the usual crying lying and gamesmanship from classless Roddick, nothing more. Nadal is the epitome of sportsmanship, you picked the wrong guy here. If you want to make a case that Roddick is even worse gamesman than Federer, that would be reasonable but arguable.

Federer's disgusting profanity-laced tirade was meant to be heard by Del Potro, ahead of crucial service game. Guess what - Federer's gamesmanship worked! Mentally weak Del Potro lost the crucial service game that followed.

Nadal's did as well. Mentally weaker Andy lost the crucial service point in the tiebreak.

mandy01
09-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Nadal's did as well. Mentally weaker Andy lost the crucial service point in the tiebreak.
Not to mention the time-rule is NOT strictly enforced by the umpires and Nadal followed by Djokovic are the biggest abusers of the rule.They get warned but you see no change at all.Another flaw.

sh@de
09-20-2009, 01:41 AM
LOL @ NadalBoy... it's so obvious who you are.

Morpheus
09-20-2009, 06:03 AM
The only reason Federer got fined was because the news picked it up and played it over and over again simultaneous with stories about Serena. They were trying really hard to make a story out of Federer.

If only they would allow players to emote then perhaps they wouldn't have to grunt so much. Maybe they need a sound proof, glass enclosed profanity box the players can step into in between games. That would be quite helpful for them and enjoyable for the crowd.

rulin
09-20-2009, 06:41 AM
I don't mind Roger being fined (he swore 3 times and it's against the rules, right?), but trying to draw parallels to the Serena incident is absolutely ridiculous.

jackson vile
09-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Same thing happend to Nadal vs Gonzo, sucks they need to do something about it.

OJ ROD
09-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Federer did not have a valid point to make. Del Potro walked toward the ballmark while conversing with umpire. He then challenged the dubious line call.

Federer's so-called "emotional tantrum" was calculated gamesmanship tactic of Federer. Third set is crucial when opponents split first two sets in a slam. Leading 5-4 in the third set Federer spat out a disgusting tirade of profanities and insults toward both umpire and opponent, to throw off his opponent before critical service game. It worked! Del Potro could not hold serve in the next game, and lost the third set. Fortunately he came back in 5 to beat gamesman Federer.

I don't know about all that. I've been accussed of a similar circumstance, but at that point I didn't care if I lost the match.

Augustus
09-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Pete Bodo thinks Serena should pay for Roger LOL, but he has a point...

Speaking of Federer, y'all saw that he was fined for his use of inappropriate language during the men's final. To my mind, this gives Serena Williams a great opportunity to reclaim a little of her lost cache as a good sport. All she has to do is pick up the phone, call Federer, and say, Look, stud-muffin, I know danged well that you got fined only because my own outburst suddenly had everyone scrambling to make sure that there would be no appearance of a double-standard when it comes to disciplinary actions imposed by the Lords of Tennis. So here's what I'm gonna do - pay your $1500 out of my own pocket!
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/index.html

Mkie7
09-20-2009, 01:01 PM

Was thinking the same thing... :) Talk about being objective. Why even bother arguing with this guy.

10snutt
09-20-2009, 03:20 PM
What exactly do you all think the chair umpire did WRONG in that match?

flyinghippos101
09-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Time to switch sides is regulated by rules and enforced by umpire. When rule is broken umpire issues warning or penalty accordingly. No rule was broken by Nadal, and hence no warning from umpire there. Just the usual crying lying and gamesmanship from classless Roddick, nothing more. Nadal is the epitome of sportsmanship, you picked the wrong guy here. If you want to make a case that Roddick is even worse gamesman than Federer, that would be reasonable but arguable.

Federer's disgusting profanity-laced tirade was meant to be heard by Del Potro, ahead of crucial service game. Guess what - Federer's gamesmanship worked! Mentally weak Del Potro lost the crucial service game that followed.

OMG it's GOYEJI guys!! I loved the part when you said Federer was a talentless hack!

bdon
09-20-2009, 04:02 PM

more like Nadal_Boy amirite