PDA

View Full Version : In a pro match, has anyone ever seen a player successfully argue a bad line call?

Doulers
09-17-2009, 02:06 PM
And I don't mean utilizing the challenge system. I mean in the days prior to the challenge system or on a court at a pro tournament that did not have the electronic challenge system installed.

I have been watching tennis now for over 20 years and I can't recall ever seeing a pro player successfully argue with a chair umpire and get a line call overruled. Usually, at least from what I have seen, if the chair umpire overrules a call it is on his/her own and they do it right away before a player says anything. In that case, the other player may argue but I have never seen an umpire then go back and say the original call should stand. I certainly do no recall ever seeing McEnroe successfully argue a line call he thought was wrong.

The reason for my question is that I believe it appears that it is a complete waste of time and a player's breath to argue because the umpires never change the calls? Has anyone ever seen an umpire overrule a call after a player argues? Why do players even bother arguing in that case?

AAAA
09-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Edberg got a line-call decision reversed once in a Wimbledon match against Tim Mayotte. The call was in Mayotte's favour, umpire didn't over-rule the line judge, Edberg didn't agree, walked up the chair, said something and gave a pleading look - umpire reversed the decision.

Mayotte was livid and shrieked 'You can do that' and he was right, umpires should not reverve decisions due to pleas from players. Tim went on to lose a match he was in control of up to that point as Edberg was off-form.

drwood
09-17-2009, 02:20 PM
And I don't mean utilizing the challenge system. I mean in the days prior to the challenge system or on a court at a pro tournament that did not have the electronic challenge system installed.

I have been watching tennis now for over 20 years and I can't recall ever seeing a pro player successfully argue with a chair umpire and get a line call overruled. Usually, at least from what I have seen, if the chair umpire overrules a call it is on his/her own and they do it right away before a player says anything. In that case, the other player may argue but I have never seen an umpire then go back and say the original call should stand. I certainly do no recall ever seeing McEnroe successfully argue a line call he thought was wrong.

The reason for my question is that I believe it appears that it is a complete waste of time and a player's breath to argue because the umpires never change the calls? Has anyone ever seen an umpire overrule a call after a player argues? Why do players even bother arguing in that case?

It happened in Connors vs. Gilbert in the 80s -- the incident is in the book Winning Ugly.

But the arguing is gamesmanship -- the goals are to:
1. Intimidate the umpires for future calls
2. Get the crowd on their side and against the umpire, and
3. Disrupt their opponent's rhythm.

Even if the call isn't reversed, these three things are often accomplished -- that's why Connors and McEnroe did it so often.