PDA

View Full Version : Norm Chryst

kiteboard
09-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Anyone remeber the Serena/Capriati match, us open, 1999? Good old norm in my opinion, botched that one too. It was the precursor to the creation of Hawkeye. How would you like to be overruled on an nonreturnable serve, after it was hit by Fed, and then prove norm wrong, and then not be given the point, even though the ball was hit by Fed way before the call was ever made? Would that send your blood pressure over the edge? Djokovic had to play three more points, and exploded emotionally when he finally won the game, but the emotion cost him badly. Any heavy emotion can cost you a match. Talk to psych experts about heavy emotion costing you matches.

In 1985, I ran into norm, at ggf indoor courts (now defunct), and I said, "He, aren't you the guy Mac told to "Grow some hair?"
He snarled at me and gave me a dirty look. If looks could kill, I'd have been carried out dead right then and there. Then, I ran into him two years later while he was playing a B singles match in Fairfield ca., and I very innocently said to his wife, "How's norm doing?"

He saw me talking to his wife. He stopped playing his match, then ran over to the fence line, put his fingers through the fence, and yelled to us, "What's he saying to you? That he's the best lover ever?" Now, his wife was not my type, fill in the blanks.

Ever after, in my opinion, any time I was playing in a tourny he was refing, he called me for foot faults, volunteered to ref my matches, overruled my calls, with I believe, a vengeance. His eyes I believe, are not good. I now nick name him: "Snake eyes": norm, if you ever meet him in person, look at the in my opinion, his non sanpaku eyeballs.

This is only my opinion of a public figure, and how I personally remember the events, which may or may not be how Norm remembers the events. I don't believe he should be allowed to ref a major event again.

ask1ed
09-17-2009, 05:05 PM
What did his wife look like? Right on. Too funny!

120mphBodyServe
09-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Sounds like this guy deserves a Mike Tyson turbo uppercut to the crown jewels. Last thing the world needs is a weasly crowface tennis umpire.

NickC
09-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I claimed similar things about the guy when he went off at Verdasco at the AO and Woodrow spat some venom at me. Apparently he's a really nice guy.

ford oliver
09-18-2009, 11:05 AM
KITEBOARD, since it was an overrule by chair umpire Mariana Alves in the 2004 US Open match between Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati which paved the way for the current challenge system, it brings the rest of your assertions about Norm into serious question!

paulfreda
09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
A Norm Cryst hate thread ??
Give me a break.

Norm's tenure as an official speaks for itself.
If he were a bad guy [dishonest or vengeful as you claim],
everyone would know it and he'd be disliked.
Who lasts a long time in any organization that is disliked [except the boss, which he is not] ???

Kiteboard, maybe you need to write a letter to Norm to vent your anger ?

As wise men have said ...........
Hatred destroys the hater, not the hated.

kiteboard
09-18-2009, 07:35 PM
KITEBOARD, since it was an overrule by chair umpire Mariana Alves in the 2004 US Open match between Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati which paved the way for the current challenge system, it brings the rest of your assertions about Norm into serious question!

I was wrong about that match. Sorry. It was 04, norm not there. Everything else is true to the best of my recollection. I'm not the only one who has experienced, in my opinion, referee vengeance.

Fedace
09-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Norm is a GOD of tennis. He should be worshiped as such.

kiteboard
09-18-2009, 07:51 PM

Have you ever seen norm play? He's a 4.0.

Now, Fed is a god of tennis. Rafa is a god of tennis. Any 4.0 in a control freakish position like umpire, telling Fed and all others what to do, when to play, how much to argue, when to get up, is like a cop flagging down Mario andretti on the race course, and telling him to slow down. Have you ever seen him up close? Looked into his eyes? Why do we even have refs anyway, now that hawkeye is possible? It's disgusting what he did to Djokovic. Not the only guy out there with a complaint about refs.

kiteboard
09-18-2009, 07:57 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3311/3285426430_350b449f15.jpg&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/53054090%40N00/3285426430&usg=__pSGTtrr07J7kStqNbOBFlW53VEQ=&h=333&w=500&sz=104&hl=en&start=16&um=1&tbnid=hixP9rY6Zq0YXM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnorm%2Bchryst%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um %3D1

kiteboard
09-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Another thing he said to me, after I said to someone on the sidelines, "I wish I had a serve like Pat Cash." _

"If you had a serve like Pat Cash I wouldn't have to deal with you."- shortly after Cash won Wimbledon around 87. Anyone else had similar comments from norm?