PDA

View Full Version : Federer: Fined, But Lets Put It Into Perspective

Conquistador
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Roger Federer was fined 1500 dollars today. What is that to him half of a game in a tennis match? Lets put the profanity tirade into perspective. first things first. we all know how much of a gentleman roger is. secondly, roger has met the Pope and was inspired by him. Thirdly, roger was in the heat of the moment. He knew he was right, and always is right. It was not that bad as people are bringing it to be. Look at all the tirades and lets see, can it be any worse than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6uLXaAnhQ

Fee
09-17-2009, 05:37 PM
That's about as much of a fine as he deserved for an obscenity in the course of a conversation. He wasn't yelling, he wasn't shaking his racquet or pointing a finger, he was just sitting in his chair having a conversation with the umpire about what he percieved as absolute BS. Honestly, this was no big deal on the scale of player outburts.

CHOcobo
09-17-2009, 05:45 PM
im confused. where was Federer in the video?

Grizvok
09-17-2009, 05:56 PM
By those standards shouldn't Roddick be seeing $1500 fines every third match or so?

IvanAndreevich
09-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Meh he only said "I don't give a ****" after the ump told him to "Be quiet" in response to a legitimate concern.

slice bh compliment
09-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Well, that umpire, Jake whatever, did not actually say, "Be quiet". I think he just gestured it with his hand.

Someone told me Jake had been replaced mid-match. Is that just a rumor?

ANyway, back to Roger. Yeah, he was uncharacteristically surly. Borg had one or two of those in his career. No big. Glad he did not get a pass. Glad he got a slap on the wrist. They're doing their jobs.

Azzurri
09-17-2009, 06:36 PM
^^the ref was not replaced. I still have the match on DVD and checked the ending handshakes. I thought it was pretty funny hearing Fed curse.

Conquistador
09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
^^the ref was not replaced. I still have the match on DVD and checked the ending handshakes. I thought it was pretty funny hearing Fed curse.

Funny as in haha? I would like to have seen Sampras go on a tirade, because the refs know he can serve and volley right back.....

Scrunch
09-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Meh he only said "I don't give a ****" after the ump told him to "Be quiet" in response to a legitimate concern.

That is not all he said. He also said something along the lines of

don't f*cking tell me the rules.

I think it was this that got him fined.

jonnythan
09-17-2009, 07:00 PM
He dropped the f-bomb twice.

I think the fine is no big deal. I think what he did was really funny and the ump deserved it.

myservenow
09-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I haven't kept up with this story on the board because it is so ridiculous and this point may have been raised already.

Nonetheless, I think without Serena's incident that Roger does not get fined or otherwise reprimanded for his language. The ATP is obviously run by a bunch of school girls that are afraid they'll be called a certain term if they are seen to let Federer slide by after it "nailed" Serena with a $10,000 fine. I mean, seriously, in almost every pro match i've ever seen, at some point one or both players get mad about a call and say an audible curse word if not directly at the official, then in his/her general direction.

In many, many matches, racquets are thrown or smashed. I understand you can't have players abusing the officials so the action taken against Federer has an air of credibility about it. Still, it is pretty silly and only a reaction to what they did to Serena.

slice bh compliment
09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Roger and 'Ree

I'd like to see the fines incurred by Kanye and Michael Jordan.

Well, not really fines. Just loss of income.

In Kanye's case, a gain in income.....during his struggle for relevance.

Kemitak
09-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Can I find this incident on youtube? What are we talkin' about?

jonnythan
09-17-2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZbDDe4eOE

Kemitak
09-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Awesome. Thanks.
Federer had a legit complaint, and the umpire is obviously a *********.
What decade is this? Surely no one is offended by **** anymore.
Yeah, but rules is rules.
I miss the white atire.

hellonewman
09-18-2009, 06:01 AM
This Federer-being-fined thing is really non-news, imo. Let's move on.

slice bh compliment
09-18-2009, 06:19 AM
^^the ref was not replaced. ...
Thanks. Thought that was a reach.

This Federer-being-fined thing is really non-news, imo. Let's move on.

Yeah. It had to be done, though.
How would you like to be the poor sap saddled with the job of enforcing that fine?

SempreSami
09-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Roger Federer was fined 1500 dollars today. What is that to him half of a game in a tennis match? Lets put the profanity tirade into perspective. first things first. we all know how much of a gentleman roger is. secondly, roger has met the Pope and was inspired by him. Thirdly, roger was in the heat of the moment. He knew he was right, and always is right. It was not that bad as people are bringing it to be. Look at all the tirades and lets see, can it be any worse than this?

Not really a gentleman, it's just the tantrum throwing he covered up years ago resurfacing.

TheNatural
09-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Fed is gong to be seething about the extra publicity he's getting now for the fine on top of the thumping he received from Delpo. He's bound to explode soon and start to smash rackets again.

Soianka
09-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I haven't kept up with this story on the board because it is so ridiculous and this point may have been raised already.

Nonetheless, I think without Serena's incident that Roger does not get fined or otherwise reprimanded for his language. The ATP is obviously run by a bunch of school girls that are afraid they'll be called a certain term if they are seen to let Federer slide by after it "nailed" Serena with a $10,000 fine. I mean, seriously, in almost every pro match i've ever seen, at some point one or both players get mad about a call and say an audible curse word if not directly at the official, then in his/her general direction.

In many, many matches, racquets are thrown or smashed. I understand you can't have players abusing the officials so the action taken against Federer has an air of credibility about it. Still, it is pretty silly and only a reaction to what they did to Serena.

The problem is Serena wouldn't have lost the match if she wasn't given a warning for the racquet smashing.

The rules should be evenly applied whether in regards to foot faults being called or racquets being smashed.

As for Federer's remarks, I thought

drakulie
09-18-2009, 10:35 AM

who cares if he met the Pope. He was fined for using profranity......... move on. no need to make excuses for someone who has "met the POPE", and is a grown man.

Soianka
09-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Correction: Serena wouldn't have lost a point for the foot fault, if the earlier racquet abuse warning wasn't given.

Rules should be applied evenly not selectively.

Sentinel
09-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Correction: Serena wouldn't have lost a point for the foot fault, if the earlier racquet abuse warning wasn't given.

Rules should be applied evenly not selectively.
One sec: she lost a point on the footfault on a second serve.

Then she lost the NEXT point due to a code violation (and a previous one for rack abuse).

Mkie7
09-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Fed. deserved it and the umpire deserved it even more. Lets move on. ATP had no choice but to fine Fed. because of the Serena incident.. just to seem fair. Its no big deal.

Johnny Mac was complaining about how long players take to challenge calls days before that incident happened.