PDA

View Full Version : Karlovic blew the past record of 55 aces, to 78 aces!

RCizzle65
09-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Against his Davis Cup match against Stepanek on clay! I won't say more since people will start complaining if I talk about the score on this part of the board, lol, but that's mindblowing, even if you don't like the guy.

tacou
09-18-2009, 10:52 AM
that's a fair amount of aces

fed_rulz
09-18-2009, 10:55 AM
clearly, there should be no question that he owns the best serve of all time. This is effing CLAY for god's sake. I shudder to think what he'd have done in the grass of the 90s or indoor carpet...

RCizzle65
09-18-2009, 11:12 AM
I believe he does have the best serve, yeah he has a height advantage, but Isner at one inch shorter is nowhere near as feared as a server as Karlovic

rod99
09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
are there still idiots out there who think federer has the best serve in the game?

RCizzle65
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
He's certainly one of the best stepping it up on clutch moments, he usually finds the lines and the ace, but overall Roddick and Karlovic are still better servers.

Roland
09-18-2009, 12:53 PM
That's 3 sets + worth of aces.
Impressive.

lambielspins
09-18-2009, 12:56 PM
are there still idiots out there who think federer has the best serve in the game?

There are no shortage of idiots on TW planet. I am sure they will still exist. Karlovic has the best serve not on today but probably in history. Simply amazing. Too bad the rest of his game stinks.

tacou
09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
now that I look at the score he was averaging less than 1 ace a game. Still very impressive though.

Leelord337
09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
78 ACES, omg, lol

Moz
09-18-2009, 01:06 PM
now that I look at the score he was averaging less than 1 ace a game. Still very impressive though.

Particularly as he can't hit aces when his opponent is serving.

Ripper014
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
There is more to serving to than just raw power. Federer still probably has one of the best serves in the game. He uses it not only to hit clean winners (aces) but to set himself up as a first strike weapon to win points. At the end of the day it is not about the number of aces you hit but the points you win on your serve. Though in saying all this... he certainly did not have a stellar day in the US Open finals.

But you do have to admire without his best stuff he was still able to push it to the limit.

SuperFly
09-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I would crap my pants if he tried to give me a body serve.

goforgold99
09-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Particularly as he can't hit aces when his opponent is serving.

:D

good one

tennisdad65
09-18-2009, 01:26 PM

and there are an equal number of idiots who think Sampras's serve is better than Karlovic.
Sampras had an awesome game + 2nd greatest serve. Karlovic has no game + greatest serve.

fed_rulz
09-18-2009, 01:28 PM
and there are an equal number of idiots who think Sampras's serve is better than Karlovic. Sampras had an awesome game + 2nd greatest server. Karlovic has no game + greatest serve.

QFT ++++++++++

djones
09-18-2009, 01:29 PM
But still managed to lose the match :-D

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-18-2009, 01:32 PM
He made 78 aces, and he still lost, against Stepanek no less. Tells you a lot about his overall game.

djones
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM
And those are just aces.
Don't forget the number of unreturned serves he played as well.
That's a WHOLE bunch of 'free' points, all together.

Leelord337
09-18-2009, 01:40 PM
i wonder if he will ever break his own record of 78, its crazy because earlier this year he went aceless for the first time in his career against gael monfils

akv89
09-18-2009, 01:46 PM
He made 78 aces, and he still lost, against Stepanek no less. Tells you a lot about his overall game.

More often than not, when a person serves a significantly high number of aces it means that the match was very tight (more game -> more aces) and the person who hit the aces isn't playing too well from the ground, and thus went for more on his serve. So you'll find that the most aces records are generally held by someone who lost the match.

MarrratSafin
09-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Dr Ivo is simply amazing. And even better, he still lost the match.:-?

Lion King
09-18-2009, 01:58 PM
There is more to serving to than just raw power. Federer still probably has one of the best serves in the game. He uses it not only to hit clean winners (aces) but to set himself up as a first strike weapon to win points. At the end of the day it is not about the number of aces you hit but the points you win on your serve. Though in saying all this... he certainly did not have a stellar day in the US Open finals.

But you do have to admire without his best stuff he was still able to push it to the limit.

Fed's serving in the USO final was far from best in history. To qualify for having one of the best serves, you should be able to consistently blow your opponents off court with it.

RCizzle65
09-18-2009, 02:14 PM

So your saying someone who has 78 aces doesn't know how to place it? What's your point? He also had 48 service winners, that's 126 points, or 31.5 games worth of free points. Federer does have one of the best serves, but Karlovic has the best in history.

darthpwner
09-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I just have 2 words to say upon hearing this. HOLY ****

darthpwner
09-18-2009, 02:17 PM
and there are an equal number of idiots who think Sampras's serve is better than Karlovic.
Sampras had an awesome game + 2nd greatest serve. Karlovic has no game + greatest serve.Ivanisevic had a better serve than Sampras

darthpwner
09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
i wonder if he will ever break his own record of 78, its crazy because earlier this year he went aceless for the first time in his career against gael monfils

Last year not this year

P_Agony
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Keep your language to yourself little troll.

kkm
09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
That the highest ace totals have been on clay...

RCizzle65
09-18-2009, 02:29 PM
That the highest ace totals have been on clay...

That's the highest ace total ever...

AAAA
09-18-2009, 02:38 PM
It's a weak era. If prime, peak Pete was playing he'd serve 156 aces against Radek.

edmondsm
09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
That's 3 sets + worth of aces.
Impressive.

What's more impressive is that he still managed to lose. I mean, to win 3 sets worth of points without even having to hit a rally shot, and then lose 3 sets......incredible. How bad must the rest of his game be to accomplish that?

flyinghippos101
09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
It's a weak era. If prime, peak Pete was playing he'd serve 156 aces against Radek.

Serious lulz to be had from this post.

Sampras had a formidable serve yes, but keep in mind that the surfaces nowadays are much slower. If anything, Karlovic would be the one serving aces left and right on Sampras on the faster 90's courts.

Ripper014
09-18-2009, 02:55 PM
So your saying someone who has 78 aces doesn't know how to place it? What's your point? He also had 48 service winners, that's 126 points, or 31.5 games worth of free points. Federer does have one of the best serves, but Karlovic has the best in history.

Just stating that Federer is still one of the best servers in the game even though he does not have the high ace totals. You can be effective without 78 aces and still be considered a good server.

I am also "NOT" saying that Ivo does not have a great serve... "he does"...

rod99
09-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Keep your language to yourself little troll.

troll? how can i be a troll when i'm a huge federer fan. karlovic has no game other than the serve, but (as proven yet again) he does have the greatest serve in history.

P_Agony
09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
troll? how can i be a troll when i'm a huge federer fan. karlovic has no game other than the serve, but (as proven yet again) he does have the greatest serve in history.

I really don't care which Player's fan you are. If you call other posters idiots, you are a troll. Simple as that.

kkm
09-18-2009, 03:03 PM
That's the highest ace total ever...

Yes, I realize that, what I meant was that it's surprising that the two highest totals ever have come on clay rather than on another(faster) surface

dukemunson
09-18-2009, 03:04 PM

That is some pretty suspect math...

rod99
09-18-2009, 03:05 PM
I really don't care which Player's fan you are. If you call other posters idiots, you are a troll. Simple as that.

whatever. but if you say that federer has a better serve than karlovic then you are making an idiotic statement.

rod99
09-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Just stating that Federer is still one of the best servers in the game even though he does not have the high ace totals. You can be effective without 78 aces and still be considered a good server.

I am also "NOT" saying that Ivo does not have a great serve... "he does"...

nobody is saying that federer doesn't have a good serve (well, except in the us open final). he's just not near karlovic's league.

P_Agony
09-18-2009, 03:16 PM
whatever. but if you say that federer has a better serve than karlovic then you are making an idiotic statement.

Correction, I'm stating my opinion, which I have a right to thank you very much. If you think it's idiotic, keep it to yourself, otherwise don't be surprised when you are being called a troll.

rod99
09-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Correction, I'm stating my opinion, which I have a right to thank you very much. If you think it's idiotic, keep it to yourself, otherwise don't be surprised when you are being called a troll.

ok. it's my opinion that i can beat federer in tennis. if you don't agree with me then you're a troll.

Steady Eddy
09-18-2009, 03:30 PM

That is some pretty suspect math...
I counted 51 games, so that would be more than one ace per game, (even without looking up the score, 5 sets @ 13 games a set would still only be 65 games, and 65 < 78 ). But he only serves half the games, some of those games were tiebreakers, but if we figure he served 26 games, that's 3 aces per game he served. Since he only needs 4 points to hold serve, he might have been winning 3/4 of the points he serves with aces! Counting service winners, his dominance from serving could be even higher. The article said that he lost 4 match points. If even 2 of those he served, that seems unlucky.

Maybe he's gotten better at serving, and from now on this will be routine with him? He might get more aces not playing on clay?

dukemunson
09-18-2009, 03:36 PM
I counted 51 games, so that would be more than one ace per game, (even without looking up the score, 5 sets @ 13 games a set would still only be 65 games, and 65 < 78 ). But he only serves half the games, some of those games were tiebreakers, but if we figure he served 26 games, that's 3 aces per game he served. Since he only needs 4 points to hold serve, he might have been winning 3/4 of the points he serves with aces! Counting service winners, his dominance from serving could be even higher. The article said that he lost 4 match points. If even 2 of those he served, that seems unlucky.

Maybe he's gotten better at serving, and from now on this will be routine with him? He might get more aces not playing on clay?

He served 37 games plus 4 tiebreakers (6 points serving per breaker)...so he served aproximetely 42 games, which means that with 78 aces he was serving just under 2 aces per game (not to mention getting another free point per game off service winners...crazy)...

Steady Eddy
09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
He served 37 games plus 4 tiebreakers (6 points serving per breaker)...so he served aproximetely 42 games, which means that with 78 aces he was serving just under 2 aces per game (not to mention getting another free point per game off service winners...crazy)...I didn't notice the last set, a 16-14 marathon, (that's where the extra 15 games comes from). Each of the first 4 sets went to a tie-breaker. Not hard to see why, Karlovic is unbreakable, but he's no threat to break the other guy. (Well, he must have been broken sometime in that long 5th set, but it took 6 hours for that to happen.)

Noveson
09-18-2009, 03:47 PM

Do you seriously feel the need to defend your idol when someone says that Karlovic has a bigger serve than him? Sad.

The-Champ
09-18-2009, 03:59 PM
clearly, there should be no question that he owns the best serve of all time. This is effing CLAY for god's sake. I shudder to think what he'd have done in the grass of the 90s or indoor carpet...

Don't forget he served around 50 aces against HEWITT on clay as well

The-Champ
09-18-2009, 04:05 PM
this is the guy Rafa served a breadstick to...on an indoor carpet.

P_Agony
09-18-2009, 04:27 PM
ok. it's my opinion that i can beat federer in tennis. if you don't agree with me then you're a troll.

You are a troll for calling posters idiots. If you think you can beat Fed in a tennis match, I wish you good luck.

P_Agony
09-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Do you seriously feel the need to defend your idol when someone says that Karlovic has a bigger serve than him? Sad.

Karlovic has the bigger serve, but IMO not the better service. Bigger doesn't always mean better. Ask Gonzo's forehand.

NamRanger
09-18-2009, 04:30 PM

I can name 5 players every year from 2003-2009 who have better serves than Federer.

NamRanger
09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Karlovic has the bigger serve, but IMO not the better service. Bigger doesn't always mean better. Ask Gonzo's forehand.

Karlovic's serve is statistically superior in every way. Even with his skewed stats he's STILL a superior server than Federer. We have argued this over 1 thousand pages; yet you continue to say Federer has one of the best serves in history (which is simply not true).

P_Agony
09-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Karlovic's serve is statistically superior in every way. Even with his skewed stats he's STILL a superior server than Federer. We have argued this over 1 thousand pages; yet you continue to say Federer has one of the best serves in history (which is simply not true).

I continue to say that because it's my opinion. The fact with have argued about it a few times does not mean I have to bow down and agree to anything you say. I respect your opinion, I even understand it, but I disagree with it. Let it go already!

RCizzle65
09-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Federer is my favorite player, but how someone can say he has a better serve than Karlovic, I don't know how...if your going to argue variety, you don't exactly need a slice serve when you can bomb it at that same angle someone a foot shorter than you would slice it as...and you won't get 78 aces by not having good placement either.

EtePras
09-18-2009, 04:46 PM

Is that even possible? I remember Ljubicic had 0 aces in a match he played against Karlovic, but for Karlovic to have no aces is ridiculous.

The-Champ
09-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Imagine Federer with his own serve and Karlovic' ground game.

Now imagine Karlovic with federer's ground game. He would be an unstoppable force of Nature.

rod99
09-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Now imagine Karlovic with federer's ground game. He would be an unstoppable force of Nature.

that is what i've been preaching to this guy for weeks. he doesn't get it.

simply put: federer would win more matches if he kept his own game but had karlovic's serve. that is how you tell if you're a better server. very simple.

Chadwixx
09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I think they are meaning service game more so than the actual serve. Feds service game appears (as well as % held) up there with karlovic because he backs it up with a ton of other weapons.

Is there a stat to see how many points are won with only the first serve? I see points won off the first serve but that would include the whole point.

Id say karlovic wins more points strictly off his serve than anyone in the history of the sport. Unreturnable, aces and missed returns.

EtePras
09-18-2009, 04:50 PM

ROTFLMAO

Even Nadal has a better serve than Federer, see AO final.

Leelord337
09-18-2009, 05:00 PM
What's more impressive is that he still managed to lose. I mean, to win 3 sets worth of points without even having to hit a rally shot, and then lose 3 sets......incredible. How bad must the rest of his game be to accomplish that?

it was a 5 hour 59 min match, stepanek fought of 4 match pts too.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/09/Davis-Cup-SF-Stepanek-Defies-78-Aces.aspx

drive
09-18-2009, 05:41 PM
78 is more or less the number of aces that Nadal gets in the whole season.

Chadwixx
09-18-2009, 05:47 PM

Santoro with karlovics serve would beat karlovic with feds ground game. No one would beat my brute.

Leelord337
09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
i wonder what the total number of winners was for the match, already 78 aces (winners)...

tata
09-19-2009, 05:43 AM
and he still lost that match lol

ubermeyer
09-19-2009, 08:27 AM
wth 78 aces on clay!!!

I think Karlovic is the only player who consistently improves with age. This is unfortunate for him because had he been in his prime oh, 10 or 15 or so years ago, he would have been a real force especially on 90's grass courts. However, Karlovic has been improving with age, mainly because his serve has been improving, since that's what he pretty much spends his life practicing.

ubermeyer
09-19-2009, 08:29 AM

fail. karlovic's serve is easily superior to fed's.

and i'm a huge federer fan. in 1st serves however, bigger IS better, since you get another.

federer's 2nd serve is possibly better than karlovic's 2nd serve. Isner's 2nd is much better than karlovic's as well.

SuperFly
09-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Dr Ivo is simply amazing. And even better, he still lost the match.:-?

Ya, if he had someone to train with in Croatia at the time, he probably would have won a couple Wimbledons in a row. All he really needs is a return game that can get him 1 break in each set and he would be reeling in titles like crazy.

edmondsm
09-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Ya, if he had someone to train with in Croatia at the time, he probably would have won a couple Wimbledons in a row. All he really needs is a return game that can get him 1 break in each set and he would be reeling in titles like crazy.

No way. Look at the guys who are going deep at Wimbledon these days. Fed, Nadal, Roddick, Murray.....Roddick is the only one who you could say with a game that solely revolves around the serve. The Goran's of the world don't win slams anymore, period. Winning slams, especially Wimbledon, is about movement and ground strokes. If it was still about huge serves and poaching that one break then Nadal wouldn't ever make the 2nd week.

egn
09-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Karlovic will eventually maybe get to the point where he wins every single one of his serve points and still loses.

ubermeyer
09-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Karlovic will eventually maybe get to the point where he wins every single one of his serve points and still loses.

That is impossible... even if he lost every single one of his return points, the tiebreaks would be infinitely long... if he actually won every single serve point, he would eventually get lucky and win a point off the other guy's serve.

NamRanger
09-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I continue to say that because it's my opinion. The fact with have argued about it a few times does not mean I have to bow down and agree to anything you say. I respect your opinion, I even understand it, but I disagree with it. Let it go already!

My opinion is that Federer is secretly a closet alien from outer space who abducts innocent people at night. Therefore you must respect it. This is a rough equivalent to what you are saying.