PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Mag - 40 best moments

theace21
04-08-2005, 08:36 PM
I thought that was the best article in Tennis Magazine in years. I loved looking at the old pictures and re-living the tennis history. Going to read it again. Maybe we can start a discussion on what didn't make the list...

AndrewD
04-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Perhaps, for those of us who aren't able to get the mag you could give some highlights of the article.

lemurballs
04-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Its not just an article, its basically the entire issue. One or two pages for each of the greatest moments,.

Prince_of_Tennis
04-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Very good issue. I like the back though Tennis at 80 that is some funny shizit...

donnyz89
04-09-2005, 02:53 PM
tennis magazine? i havent gotten those yet. bummer

MegacedU
04-09-2005, 06:22 PM
A certain someone SPITTING in HEWITTS face? That didn't make it.

nytennisplayer
04-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Very good issue. I like the back though Tennis at 80 that is some funny shizit...

loved that too. LOL.

6-0 6-0
04-11-2005, 10:24 AM
I would have to say that they really covered the top 40 very nicely for a change. Off the top of my head I really can't think of any that they missed.
I am surprised that they didn't mention Pat Cash's Wimbledon climb into the stands. It seems that he was really the first one to do that. It was a very special moment if you were able to watch it live.
MegAcedU - I think they were trying as hard as possible to keep it the "greatest" moments" in tennis as positive as possible. They did have McEnroe's temper tantrum at Wimbledon, but that was about it as far as negatives.
I think the best line that I read in that article was when Vitas Gueralitis said about beating Jimmy Connors..."Nobody beats me 17 times in a row"...after losing the last 16.

Tennis_baller
04-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I think they were trying as hard as possible to keep it the "greatest" moments" in tennis as positive as possible. They did have McEnroe's temper tantrum at Wimbledon, but that was about it as far as negatives.

Then why did they mention the Seles stab and Capriati's drug thing?

Prince_of_Tennis
04-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Then why did they mention the Seles stab and Capriati's drug thing?

They were at the top of their game and this incident jus sunk them. They covered both Negatives and Positives in this issue.

6-0 6-0
04-12-2005, 05:52 AM
Tennis Baller...
I didn't say they were all positive. I said they tried to keep everything as positive as possible IMO. I think they could have come up with a lot more negatives if they would have tried.

Tennis_baller
04-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Tennis Baller...
I didn't say they were all positive. I said they tried to keep everything as positive as possible IMO. I think they could have come up with a lot more negatives if they would have tried.
Whatever...

Kaptain Karl
04-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I really enjoyed this "trip down memory lane." Notable bits for me were...

** I didn't remember Graebner being the introducer of the T-2000.

** It made me miss Forest Hills -- in either grass or clay.

** The bit on the yellow ball's introduction ... and the white ball's disappearance was interesting. Although, I remember most of us deciding the white was much easier to see under lights. I miss white balls.

** I felt old. Every one of the great rivalries they discussed ... I witnessed.

** I'd forgotten about "Sudden Death" changing to the "lingering death" we use today.

** I remembered the Riggs -vs- King match a lot differently than it was portrayed. (Didn't Riggs have to play balls hit into the doubles alleys? Or was that only against Court, who he "schooled"?)

** I'd forgotten about Mac blowing the French to Llendl in '84. (I bet Mac wishes we all would.)

** "Super Saturday" at the US Open, '84. We'd left there two days before. We were kicking ourselves for not staying. (But the truth is, we had the best seats, via TV, for that day.)

** Nasty -vs- Mac at the US Open in '79. Oooh, boy!!! It almost really *was* a riot.

** Ashe's AIDS press conference. I didn't give blood for several years after that....

** Anne White's body suit at Wimbledon, '85. The cameramen really had their work cut out for them that day. (Keeping to Wimby's standards of decorum, I mean.)

** I learned (for the first time) about the Hingis "meltdown" at the French '99. (I wasn't involved in tennis very much for a few years. I plain missed that.) Weird!

** The only "memorable moment" I'd have replaced with something else was #40, the Williams sisters' US Open Final in '01. Yes, it was the first Prime Time Women's Final. But that was a boring match; not memorable.

Those are mine....

- KK

Baseline Basher
04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
They didn't mention Federer's 2004 season. Not really a 'moment', but impressive nontheless. What's this about spitting on Hewitt?