PDA

View Full Version : Ljubicic's status in tennis...

Bilbo
09-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Ivan Ljubicic: is he done, or does he have a couple more solid years of tennis left in him. Hey... i say, if Santoro can be effective at the age of 36 (?) the Ljubicic has at least one more DEEP grand slam or masters series event run left in him. Ljubicic is also at his highest ranking in roughly one whole year. So... what do you guys think? Is the big serving western forehand croatian have anything left? Or, is he washed up and done?

dincuss
09-18-2009, 07:43 PM
He would do well if he had some good draws, this whole year hes been drawing the top 4.

ckledzepplin
09-18-2009, 07:49 PM
I sam him playing doubles at the open while i was there and he was doing amaizing.

dincuss
09-18-2009, 07:51 PM
^^ Yah his second serve is one of the best one tour.

Richie Rich
09-19-2009, 03:10 AM
if his ranking slips much further he may have to start qualifying for tournaments

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Ivan Ljubicic: is he done, or does he have a couple more solid years of tennis left in him. Hey... i say, if Santoro can be effective at the age of 36 (?) the Ljubicic has at least one more DEEP grand slam or masters series event run left in him. Ljubicic is also at his highest ranking in roughly one whole year. So... what do you guys think? Is the big serving western forehand croatian have anything left? Or, is he washed up and done?
Unfair to compare Santoro with Ljubicic, Santoro is a much bigger talent and he seems to be enjouing his time on a tennis-court,Ljubicic doesnt. His status? Not high at all. He should start playing some more doubles instead, that way he will have a career for another 3-4 years.

fps
09-19-2009, 03:23 AM
i see no reason why ljubicic could go into the second week of a grand slam at this point.

basil J
09-19-2009, 04:48 AM
I've watched him 3 times this year, all 3 times he appeared totally uninspired.
Shame too, because he owns one of the finest serving games and a beauty of a 1HBH.

Rhino
04-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Ivan Ljubicic has at least one more DEEP grand slam or masters series event run left in him.

guess you were right about that...

ubermeyer
04-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Unfair to compare Santoro with Ljubicic, Santoro is a much bigger talent and he seems to be enjouing his time on a tennis-court,Ljubicic doesnt. His status? Not high at all. He should start playing some more doubles instead, that way he will have a career for another 3-4 years.

Are you joking? Ljubicic has gotten to #3 in the world, Santoro #17. Ljubicic has gotten to the semifinals of a Grand Slam (3 years ago), Santoro to quarterfinals. While Santoro may be more entertaining to watch, I think Ljubicic definitely had more talent. He's still doing well; he just won a Masters Series, something Santoro failed to ever do.

Rhino
04-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Are you joking? Ljubicic has gotten to #3 in the world, Santoro #17. Ljubicic has gotten to the semifinals of a Grand Slam (3 years ago), Santoro to quarterfinals. While Santoro may be more entertaining to watch, I think Ljubicic definitely had more talent. He's still doing well; he just won a Masters Series, something Santoro failed to ever do.

In defense of the OP, Ljubicic had never won a Masters Series either when he made this thread.

orangettecoleman
04-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Hopefully his Masters title will give Ivan the inspiration to make one last good Slam run. Unless he gets really lucky with the draw I don't see him winning though... But it would be brilliant if it happened. He has all the tools but he's really just been joylessly "paying the bills" throughout most of his career it seems...

davey25
04-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Ljubicic in his prime underachieved in slams. His only slam semifinal was at the French Open which just shows how much he underachieved at the other slams, as he is nowhere near the player on clay he is in on other surfaces. He might have felt the pressure to live up to his ranking and do something big. Now in the twilight stages of his career maybe he can feel free of the pressure and go for broke, and if he gets a good draw something good can happen. If he plays like he did at Indian Wells he can do very well in a hard court slam given a decent draw.

aldeayeah
04-22-2010, 07:07 AM
He lost close matches to Gasquet and Baggy in USO '05 and AO '06. And then the shock loss to Feli Lopez in USO '06.

It seems he was never particularly good in five-setters.

P_Agony
04-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Ljubo still has what it takes. He beat 3 top players in IW, and looked very convincing doing so. I think he can reach a slam QF, but I doubt he'll go further than that, maybe SF if his draw looks OK.

davey25
04-22-2010, 07:16 AM
He lost close matches to Gasquet and Baggy in USO '05 and AO '06. And then the shock loss to Feli Lopez in USO '06.

It seems he was never particularly good in five-setters.

Yep and he was a better player than guys like Gasquet, Baghdatis, and certainly Lopez at the time, and should have been winning more matches like that. I think if he had performed better in slams during his peak he wouldnt be so underrated by people like he is now. I laugh he trails one shot pony Gonzalez on the "more talented" poll.

forzamilan90
04-22-2010, 07:40 AM
i don't think we'll see him win anything big ever again