PDA

View Full Version : Robin Söderling's Indoor Season - will he finish the year in the Top 8

Augustus
09-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Will Robin Söderling be able to go deep at the remaining Masters Series and qualify for the Year End Masters?

He's had his best year ever and indoor is his best surface. I think he will win a small title (not sure what tourneys he enters?) and maybe even reach a MS final or win one, most likely Paris.

I really like his chances of finishing the year in the Top 8....

P_Agony
09-19-2009, 01:06 PM
It'll be interesting if he meets Nadal on indoor hard courts. He didn't play against Nadal since the FO. I'm starting to like Soderling and believe he's more misunderstood than really a bad person. I want him to win an MS title this year. All he has to do is avoid Federer and he should be fine (Fed was the one who stopped him at the last 3 slams).

Tennis_Maestro
09-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes.

1. Federer
2. Murray
3. Nadal
4. Del Potro
5. Djokovic
6. Roddick
7. Tsonga
8. Soderling
9. Verdasco
10. Davydenko

TENNISSLAVE
09-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Dude, the guys game sure fits indoor conditions. High ball toss , huge serve and flat fast groundies.
Cant think of many whose game is more favored by no wind and sun.
He will be able to take it to anyone he faces . Incl. Fed.

Gugafan
09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Soderling was great against Federer after the first two sets... Fed was able to escape that match thanks to a clutch 4th set TB.

Top 8...Yes.

Feña14
09-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I'd like to see him do it.

He has an exciting game which translates very well indoors, added to that the top players will be saving themselves a bit for the end of year Masters after a long year.

tudwell
09-19-2009, 07:57 PM
I think he'll finish number one.

slicefox
09-19-2009, 08:08 PM
lol number 1 rofl

not even possible if he wins every single tournament for the rest of the year

Leelord337
09-19-2009, 08:09 PM
i would like to see him do it, i think he has the game to beat anybody

Elegant_Roger
09-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Yes, other than Delpo, his game has improved more markedly than any other player this year. He has been taking Fed to the limit (7 tiebreakers in their past 4 matches, I believe), and has unbelievably hard and deep groundstrokes off both wings. He has won 26 of his last 31 matches. I would love to see a match between the new "Delpo" and the new "Soderling". His match against Fernando Gonzalez in the French Open semis was impressive.

Since the indoor season has kept him in the top 25 the past several years, this years season will surely propel him into the top 8. He is playing indoor tournaments at Stockholm, the Malaysian Open and both Masters. He is also healthy and well rested. He will get a first round bye in the Malaysian ATP 250 indoor, and will only have to win 3 matches to make the semis. Last year, he lost the Stockholm indoor final to that other indoor hard court master, David Nalbandian. Nalbandian is out for the rest of the year and will not be in the way this year. Soderling still won an indoor title last year anyway. Things are looking very positive for Soderling. He is on the verge of taking the #10 spot from Giles Simon in his next tournament.

From Malaysian Open Web Page at http://www.malaysianopentennis.com/

Tournament begins 9/28

"Nikolay Davydenko and Fernando Verdasco have maintained their positions in the world's top ten at eight and nine respectively but Robin Soderling has moved up one spot to eleven. It has also been confirmed that Fernando Verdasco will be playing his first match on Thursday. As one of four seeded players in the 28 player draw, he receives a first-round bye. Two of the top four seeds will play on Wednesday and two will play on Thursday with all the singles Quarter Final matches to be played on Friday. Soderling is only 15 points away from cracking the top ten for the first time in his career.

"Wouldn't it be amazing for the tournament if Robin's performances in KL allow him to break into the top ten for the first time? That would make KL a very special place for him," Freyer added."

vive le beau jeu !
09-20-2009, 05:05 AM
his performance in davis cup seems to be a pretty good start...
6-2 6-1 7-5 against crivoi and 7-5 6-1 6-0 against hanescu... ouch !

deltox
09-20-2009, 06:23 AM
i still have him at #9 at years end.

1-6 obvious

7 davydenko
8 verdasco
9 soderling

GPG
09-20-2009, 07:58 AM
No, my guess is

1. Federer
2. Nadal
3. Murray
4. Del Potro
5. Djokovic
6. Roddick
7. Verdasco
8. Gonzalez
9. Tsonga
10. Soderling/Davydenko

President
09-20-2009, 08:01 AM
No, my guess is

1. Federer
2. Nadal
3. Murray
4. Del Potro
5. Djokovic
6. Roddick
7. Verdasco
8. Gonzalez
9. Tsonga
10. Soderling/Davydenko

Gonzales is a markedly worse player than Soderling right now. Compare their respective performances against Federer and Nadal at the USO. Soderling was actually outplaying Fed imo for the last 2 sets. Soderling, if he can keep good form, should be able to make the final of an indoor Masters or even win (provided Fed is not in the final). In his current form, I don't see Murray Djokovic or Nadal beating him indoors.

GPG
09-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Gonzales is a markedly worse player than Soderling right now. Compare their respective performances against Federer and Nadal at the USO. Soderling was actually outplaying Fed imo for the last 2 sets. Soderling, if he can keep good form, should be able to make the final of an indoor Masters or even win (provided Fed is not in the final). In his current form, I don't see Murray Djokovic or Nadal beating him indoors.

I know Gonzo is ranked lower, but it just something that I fell that will happen. Also, if you see a "Race" Ranking right now, Fernando has more points that Robin.

Let's just wait and see who does better until november while enjoying the last tournaments of the year :)

President
09-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I know Gonzo is ranked lower, but it just something that I fell that will happen. Also, if you see a "Race" Ranking right now, Fernando has more points that Robin.

Let's just wait and see who does better until november while enjoying the last tournaments of the year :)

Not only is Gonzales ranked lower, he is also playing a lot worse. I feel if Soderling had swapped places with Gonzales at the US Open, he would have got to the semifinals at least.

aphex
09-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Not only is Gonzales ranked lower, he is also playing a lot worse. I feel if Soderling had swapped places with Gonzales at the US Open, he would have got to the semifinals at least.

soderling would have beaten anyone but federer and delpo at usopen...

shadows
09-20-2009, 09:28 AM
I think he'll get one of those 7-8 spots. He seems in good form, he likes the indoor season and I can see him out performing most of the other guys vying for those spots

maddogz32
09-20-2009, 04:59 PM
nope. simple

ubermeyer
09-20-2009, 05:02 PM
soderling would have beaten anyone but federer and delpo at usopen...

doubt he could beat nadal again...

President
09-20-2009, 05:16 PM
doubt he could beat nadal again...

The way Soderling played against Federer in the QF he would have defeated Nadal. Not as easily as Del Potro, but still a fairly simple victory.

bluetrain4
09-20-2009, 08:09 PM
What's impressed me most about Soderling is that he seems completely committed to his breakthrough.

Plenty of players with a high talent level but for whatever reason are stuck between 15 and 30, make a "breakthrough" by making a deep run at a Slam. But, then they just go back to where they were.

Soderling followed up the French Open by living up to his seeding and making the 4th Rnd at Wimbledon (his best result) and gave Fed a good match. Then he exceeded his seeding, made the QFs of the USO (his best result) and gave Fed a good match after a miserable first two sets (when he very easily could have been happy with his result and packed it in).

He really seems to believe that he's Top 10 caliber and that he can compete with anyone. He's 25 and I really believe he'll play at a high level for the next 3 years and will always be capable of making a deep run at a Slam.

I think he can do great indoors.