PDA

View Full Version : Mico Santiago

Michael Bluth
09-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Who is this kid? He's the highest ranked American 94 and I believe the second highest ranked 94 in the world(correct me if I'm wrong). And yet I have never heard this kid mentioned once when American juniors are talked about. Does he have potential?

mcutilize
09-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Who is this kid? He's the highest ranked American 94 and I believe the second highest ranked 94 in the world(correct me if I'm wrong). And yet I have never heard this kid mentioned once when American juniors are talked about. Does he have potential?

yeah he does 2 of my friends know him

mrmo1115
09-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Highest ranked American 94, do you mean in the ITFS?

Michael Bluth
09-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Yes. in the ITF rankings.

tenniscp
09-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes. in the ITF rankings.

I think the explanation lies in his ITF activity. If you take a look at his record, you will understand, that not only he is the highest ranked US 94, he is the only US 94 that travels to Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, and other far East countries to hunt for points. His highest points-30- came in Thailand ITF. In other words, I do not think that other US 94's have either the desire or the necessary funds to travel half of the world to buy ITF points. I have seen the kid play and know who he is. He is nowhere near where some of the strong 94's are, such as Harrison, Halebian, Daniel, Asami, Gardiner, Richmond. He is at best the level of the second echelon of US 94's.

Point hunting is a common practice amongst beginner pros and is now becoming popular with juniors as well.

mcutilize
09-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I think the explanation lies in his ITF activity. If you take a look at his record, you will understand, that not only he is the highest ranked US 94, he is the only US 94 that travels to Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, and other far East countries to hunt for points. His highest points-30- came in Thailand ITF. In other words, I do not think that other US 94's have either the desire or the necessary funds to travel half of the world to buy ITF points. I have seen the kid play and know who he is. He is nowhere near where some of the strong 94's are, such as Harrison, Halebian, Daniel, Asami, Gardiner, Richmond. He is at best the level of the second echelon of US 94's.

Point hunting is a common practice amongst beginner pros and is now becoming popular with juniors as well.
haha he trained at this academy in the philipines that i went to. I missed practicing with him by like a couple weekis

tenniscp
09-20-2009, 02:52 PM
haha he trained at this academy in the philipines that i went to. I missed practicing with him by like a couple weekis

That just proves my point again. He has been travelling heavily. He wants those points. No shame in that.

mrmo1115
09-21-2009, 07:55 AM
So he must be rich or some how has enough money to travel all these places?

Is it true that Trey Strobel has stopped playing USTA to play strictly ITFS ?