PDA

View Full Version : Andy Roddick's 2010 - Predictions

tvp900
09-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Roddick had one of his best years to date. This time last year, people had counted him out as a contender for slams. He proved to us, and himself, that he had what it takes to win on the big stage. Here's this year's results followed by my predictionsfor next year, injury prohibiting:

Australian Open - Semifinals
French Open - Round of 16
Wimbledon - Finals
US Open - Third round

2010 Predictions
French Open - Quarterfinals
Wimbledon - Champion
US Open - Semifinals

What's everyone else's opinion?

Ledigs
09-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Roddick had one of his best years to date. This time last year, people had counted him out as a contender for slams. He proved to us, and himself, that he had what it takes to win on the big stage. Here's this year's results followed by my predictionsfor next year, injury prohibiting:

Wimbledon - Finals
US Open - Third round

2010 Predictions
Wimbledon - Champion
US Open - Semifinals

AO - Quarterfinals
Wimbledon - Semifinals
US Open - Finals

Tennis_Maestro
09-19-2009, 03:10 PM
AO - Quarter Finals
FO - 3rd Round
Wimbledon - Semi or Quarters - Depends on his ranking
US Open - Quarter Finals

Conquistador
09-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Roddick 2010

Australian Open-Quarterfinalist
French Open-4th Round
Wimbledon-Semifinalist--losing to del potro
US. Open-4th Round

Court Valkyrie
09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Win on the big stage? Not trying to be an ***, but he didn't win on any big stage. He choked at Wimbledon to a less than stellar Federer. Roddick in 2010...
AO- 4th Round
French - 1st Round
Wimbledon 4th Round
US Open - QF

I personally think he's done...heck he was done after 2003. Too much pressure, and he just crumbled under the heavy expectations. That US Open win on 03 was a fluke. He's never been any good to compete with the best players in the world and because of that will never compete for a slam again.

ckledzepplin
09-19-2009, 05:48 PM
AO-Semifinals
FO-Quarterfinals
Wimbledon-Champion
Us open-Champion or finals

BigServer1
09-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Australia - QF
French - Third Round
Wimbledon - Semis
US Open - Semis

tvp900
09-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Win on the big stage? Not trying to be an ***, but he didn't win on any big stage. He choked at Wimbledon to a less than stellar Federer. Roddick in 2010...
AO- 4th Round
French - 1st Round
Wimbledon 4th Round
US Open - QF

I personally think he's done...heck he was done after 2003. Too much pressure, and he just crumbled under the heavy expectations. That US Open win on 03 was a fluke. He's never been any good to compete with the best players in the world and because of that will never compete for a slam again.

Are you kidding me? He was nowhere near done until 2008, and even then, he upped his game again and got back in shape. If it wasn't for a certain Swiss player, he would have at least 5 slams by now.

flying24
09-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Australian Open- 4th round
French Open- 3rd round
Wimbledon- semis
U.S Open- 4th round

Roddick will never win another major. Last years Wimbledon was as close as he will come again. Wimbledon is his only shot but it probably wont happen with Federer, Nadal, and even Murray.

i_need_rice
09-19-2009, 06:08 PM
I really think Roddick has improved so much this year and Stefanki did a great job. I hope this year Roddick does win Wimbledon, but there's just too many great competitors in 2010. Nadal's healed by then, Murray, Del Potro, and of course Fed.

flying24
09-19-2009, 06:09 PM
LOL Del Potro is not a contender for Wimbledon.

Court Valkyrie
09-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I really think Roddick has improved so much this year and Stefanki did a great job. I hope this year Roddick does win Wimbledon, but there's just too many great competitors in 2010. Nadal's healed by then, Murray, Del Potro, and of course Fed.

It's not hard to improve on crap...everyone talks so much crap about Ivo being nothing but a serve...well, what is Roddick? A serve and a mediocre forehand and a backhand that looks like a teeball player. His backhand has improved greatly, but will be his biggest weakness, and the thing that got him far in these big slams, his increased fitness.

kevvycore
09-19-2009, 06:13 PM
LOL Del Potro is not a contender for Wimbledon.

true, but murray is never a contender but still is picked as the fav for each slam.

yemenmocha
09-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Roddick not past the QF in any slam unless he gets a lucky draw due to upsets and such.

He throws away his serving advantage by staying back after serve. I can't believe how many times he would receive a weak floating return that landed somewhat deep, and then there was essentially a rally that would have started just the same if it was started by a friendly drop-hit. All else equal, S&V is better than big serve w/groundies. Those weak, defensive returns of serve would be put away by a S&V.

jamesblakefan#1
09-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Andy Roddick will win Wimbledon.

Ledigs
09-19-2009, 07:31 PM
How was Andy Roddick even number 1 ever while winning only one slam? Nadal has been number 2 even while winning 6. Crazy. Federer is so consistent it's unbelievable. Is Nadal the best number 2 ever?

JeMar
09-19-2009, 07:38 PM
How was Andy Roddick even number 1 ever while winning only one slam? Nadal has been number 2 even while winning 6. Crazy. Federer is so consistent it's unbelievable. Is Nadal the best number 2 ever?

He's the best number two to stay at number two for so long. Before he was number one, he was definitely the best player to never have been ranked number one. I'm sure there are more worthy GOAT contenders that have spent time at number two.

ubermeyer
09-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Roddick will never win another major. Last years Wimbledon was as close as he will come again. Wimbledon is his only shot but it probably wont happen with Federer, Nadal, and even Murray.

did you see him take apart murray this year???

jamesblakefan#1
09-19-2009, 07:43 PM

Same reason Safina's still #1 w/o a slam. It's a rankings system, it measures performance in all events, not the entire career. Roddick earned his #1 the same way every #1 before and after him has.

Ledigs
09-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Same reason Safina's still #1 w/o a slam. It's a rankings system, it measures performance in all events, not the entire career. Roddick earned his #1 the same way every #1 before and after him has.

I guess. I wonder what will happen when Fed starts to fall off (Roddick too)

We'd have Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro.... It will be very interesting.

flying24
09-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I guess. I wonder what will happen when Fed starts to fall off (Roddick too)

We'd have Nadal, Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro.... It will be very interesting.

The way things are going now I wouldnt be so sure Federer will fall off before Nadal. It wouldnt shock me if Federer wins his final slam after Nadal does (perhaps sometime in 2012 for both). I will gaurantee you one thing. Not a prayer Nadal is anywhere near #1 at age 28 as Federer currently is.

Dutch-Guy
09-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Andy Roddick is a serve only pusher.Don't know how 2010 'll look like for him but there you go:

AO:1/4
RG: R3
Wimby: semis
USO: 1/4

asdfuogh
09-20-2009, 12:34 AM
What kinda player goes completely defensive after a pulverizing serve..!

Anyway, lol to the guy who said "Murray is never a contender but always the fav." Got that right!

PCXL-Fan
09-20-2009, 01:06 AM
It would be epic if Roddick won another Slam. He deserves it.

AO: quarters
French: 4th rd
wimb: semi
us: semi

OTMPut
09-20-2009, 01:07 AM
AO: Skips due to shoulder injury
FO: Second round
Wimby: Third Round
USO: Fourth Round

Cfidave
09-20-2009, 03:08 AM
The more this guy gets hyped, especially at the US Open, the worse he does. Anyone remember the Mojo disaster a couple years back? Now a third round loss. His time has come & gone. For 2010 here is what I predict:

AO QF
FO Third Round
Wimb Semi
USO QF

Augustus
09-20-2009, 04:10 AM
I hope Roddick has a good 2010, he's a hard worker and a great person.

AO: 4R
FO: 2R
Wimby: SF
USO: WIN, he deserves another slam, but more likely QF

tomas9848
09-20-2009, 05:03 AM
idk about all that. He will make it to final 8 in all majors excluding Roland Garros.

tvp900
09-20-2009, 08:08 AM
AO: Skips due to shoulder injury
FO: Second round
Wimby: Third Round
USO: Fourth Round

interesting. why a shoulder injury out of nowhere? he hasn't shown any signs of an injury as far as I can tell

kishnabe
09-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Australian Open= Quaters

French Open= 3rd round

Wimbledon= Champion

Us open= Semi

I hope he get his dream of winning wimbledon.

President
09-20-2009, 08:14 AM
AO: Quarters, maybe Semis if he is lucky
FO: Round of 16
Wimbledon: Finals, he is 2nd or 3rd best grasscourter (if Nadal can get back to peak)
US Open: Semifinal

sanchino
09-20-2009, 08:27 AM
AO quarters
FO 2nd or 3rd round
Wimbledon-Champion
USO quarters

drwood
09-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Win on the big stage? Not trying to be an ***,

You're being one

but he didn't win on any big stage. He choked at Wimbledon to a less than stellar Federer. Roddick in 2010...
AO- 4th Round
French - 1st Round
Wimbledon 4th Round
US Open - QF

Not good enough to compete with the best players in the world? The guy has made 4 slam finals since. Now if you were to say that he can't seal the deal, that's one thing. But you don't repeatedly make slam finals without being one of the best players in the world. Period.

2010 is probably his last best shot at a slam win. He'll make at least 1 slam final.

myalterego
09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
2010 Predictions
Wimbledon - Champion
US Open - Semifinals

jrepac
09-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Roddick should skip the French, period.
not worth it for him

AO - semi
W - final
US -qtr

would love to see him win at W....

James Bond
09-20-2009, 07:20 PM
AO - QF
FO - 3R
Wimbledon - W
US Open - F

grafselesfan
09-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Not good enough to compete with the best players in the world? The guy has made 4 slam finals since. Now if you were to say that he can't seal the deal, that's one thing. But you don't repeatedly make slam finals without being one of the best players in the world. Period.

2010 is probably his last best shot at a slam win. He'll make at least 1 slam final.

He hasnt had hardly any big wins to make those 4 finals though. 2004 and 2005 Wimbledon he didnt meet Hewitt or anyone else ranked near the top at the time. His biggest win I guess was Ancic which isnt really a big win as it is someone he is supposed to beat. 2006 U.S Open his toughest opponent was who, Youzhy or a pre-prime Verdasco? Really his biggest win to reach a slam final since was his semifinal win over Murray at Wimbledon this year. So really he hasnt proven much as far as his ability to compete with the best players in the slams.

drwood
09-20-2009, 07:29 PM
He hasnt had hardly any big wins to make those 4 finals though. 2004 and 2005 Wimbledon he didnt meet Hewitt or anyone else ranked near the top at the time. His biggest win I guess was Ancic which isnt really a big win as it is someone he is supposed to beat. 2006 U.S Open his toughest opponent was who, Youzhy or a pre-prime Verdasco? Really his biggest win to reach a slam final since was his semifinal win over Murray at Wimbledon this year. So really he hasnt proven much as far as his ability to compete with the best players in the slams.

In the 2006 US Open he also dominated Hewitt as well en route to the final.

By definition, making multiple slam finals means you can compete with the best players.

However, to WIN slams, you have to BEAT (not just compete with) the best players...this is why Roddick is very similar to Chang. Both are able to make slam finals, and win a slam when circumstances align correctly. However, their records against top-10 players have always been poor, which is why neither ever made much of an impact in the YEC (despite qualifying for it multiple years in a row) or were able to have winning records in slam finals.

grafselesfan
09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
In the 2006 US Open he also dominated Hewitt as well en route to the final.

By definition, making multiple slam finals means you can compete with the best players.

However, to WIN slams, you have to BEAT (not just compete with) the best players...this is why Roddick is very similar to Chang. Both are able to make slam finals, and win a slam when circumstances align correctly. However, their records against top-10 players have always been poor, which is why neither ever made much of an impact in the YEC (despite qualifying for it multiple years in a row) or were able to have winning records in slam finals.

Hewitt was not a top player anymore in late 2006. He was outside of the top 15 and never once returned. In 2004 and 2005 he was still very much a top player but Roddick never beat him in a major at any point from 2001-2005.

I can understand why you feel Roddick making finals shows he can compete with the best players. I am just pointing out the line of thought the previous poster might have had. While he has made those finals he hasnt beaten top players (other than Murray in the semis of this years Wimbledon) to make them.

drwood
09-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Hewitt was not a top player anymore in late 2006. He was outside of the top 15 and never once returned. In 2004 and 2005 he was still very much a top player but Roddick never beat him in a major at any point from 2001-2005.

I can understand why you feel Roddick making finals shows he can compete with the best players. I am just pointing out the line of thought the previous poster might have had. While he has made those finals he hasnt beaten top players (other than Murray in the semis of this years Wimbledon) to make them.

I think we're basically saying the same thing...Roddick has been very consistent, but hasn't been able to regularly beat top players -- this is why he has only one slam, has a losing record in slam finals and has never even made a YEC final despite multiple appearances. That being said, he can compete with the best players, as his multiple slam finals have shown -- he's had a better slam year than anybody not named Federer, Nadal or Delpo.

Augustus
09-20-2009, 10:19 PM
2010 Predictions
Wimbledon - Champion
US Open - Semifinals

This might be a little too optimistic... Roddick will never, and I really mean never, make the quarterfinals of the French Open. I think US Open is his best chance to win another Slam, he deserves it, but his chances look rather slim to be honest...

flying24
09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
This might be a little too optimistic... Roddick will never, and I really mean never, make the quarterfinals of the French Open. I think US Open is his best chance to win another Slam, he deserves it, but his chances look rather slim to be honest...

Wimbledon is his best chance of another slam. There only Federer and maybe Nadal (a bit hard to tell with Nadal right now) really excel. At the U.S Open Federer, Del Potro, Murray, and Djokovic all are on their best surface. No way he wins at a place with that many superior talents on their prefered surface.

PCXL-Fan
09-20-2009, 11:35 PM
How does Nadals game compare to Roddicks on grass?

flying24
09-20-2009, 11:44 PM
How does Nadals game compare to Roddicks on grass?

Nadal of 2008 would beat Roddick on the slow grass of Wimbledon atleast 4 times out of 5. It would take an inspired Roddick and a subpar Nadal for Roddick to win there. While Roddick in 2008 wasnt playing as well as 2009, on the Queens grass which is much faster than Wimbledon Roddick couldnt even get a set in their best 2 out of 3 match in the Queens semis. I honestly dont see Nadal returning to his 2008 form probably ever though. How close he can get to that remains to be seen.

Cfidave
09-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Nadal beat the best grass court player in the world to win Wimbledon, Roddick didn't. Nadal at his best tops Roddick at his best on grass, or any surface, for that matter.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-21-2009, 04:22 AM

Wimbledon - Finals
US Open - Third round

2010 Predictions
Wimbledon - Champion
US Open - Semifinals

Roddick had a great GS year in 2009-until the USO, that was really a huge setback for Andy and im sure he was hugely disappointed.
Imo you are very very optimistic, i guess drwood is gonna like that though:)?
My predictions (assuming he will stay healthy) is: AO: QF FO: Round of 32 Wimbledon: SF USO: SF

egn
09-21-2009, 04:40 AM
I like to be optimistic

AO - QF
FO - 3R?
W - SF
US - SF

Thats being optimistic of course

hoodjem
09-21-2009, 05:00 AM
How old is Roddick now? 27.? I think he will keep playing a few more years.

2009 was a pretty good year for him. I hope he can continue improving.

NamRanger
09-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Nadal of 2008 would beat Roddick on the slow grass of Wimbledon atleast 4 times out of 5. It would take an inspired Roddick and a subpar Nadal for Roddick to win there. While Roddick in 2008 wasnt playing as well as 2009, on the Queens grass which is much faster than Wimbledon Roddick couldnt even get a set in their best 2 out of 3 match in the Queens semis. I honestly dont see Nadal returning to his 2008 form probably ever though. How close he can get to that remains to be seen.

The same Roddick who hadn't even played for a bout a month yet still only lost by a break in each set?

Come on now. Be a little fair. That's like saying Djokovic's demolition job of Nadal in the SF of Cincinnati meant something (it really didn't mean much)..

I think if Roddick plays more aggressive he's got an outside shot at winning a slam, and his best chances are at Wimbledon and the USO. Probably Wimbledon is his best bet since the tiers go something like this....

1. Federer
2. Nadal

Huge monumental gap

3. Roddick
4. Everyone else (it's a mess after that)

fruitytennis1
09-21-2009, 07:47 AM
1. Federer
2. Nadal

Huge universal gap

3. Roddick

+1 to that

NamRanger
09-21-2009, 07:48 AM
1. Federer
2. Nadal

Huge universal gap

3. Roddick

+1 to that

Universal would be between him and Federer. Nadal is not THAT much better than Roddick on grass, and he may not even be up to full speed next year.

tvp900
09-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Universal would be between him and Federer. Nadal is not THAT much better than Roddick on grass, and he may not even be up to full speed next year.

Very true. The last time Nadal and Roddick played on grass was at last years queen's club when Roddick was at a low and hadn't played in weeks, and Nadal was at a peak and about to win Wimbledon. Plus, Roddick's gotten fitter since last year so it really isn't a fair comparison.

tvp900
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM

I have to disagree with that French Open prediction. He made the round of 16 this year and lost to the crowd favorite Monfils under the fading sun. (They should have suspended that match in my opinion, but that's a different story) It's reasonable to think he can win ONE more match than this year.

jones101
09-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Roddick impressed me with his clay court game at both Madird and RG, apart from the Monfils match, he was playing a solid, constistent game on the dirt yet remaining aggressive.

I think he will reach a QF at some point at RG, which would be a great result for him.

P_Agony
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
For Roddick to win another slam he'll need a Federer-free draw, he'll need Federer to lose before the final, and he'll probably need to beat Nadal/Murray in the process. No easy task, but it's possible.

Cesc Fabregas
09-21-2009, 01:21 PM
For Roddick to win another slam he'll need a Federer-free draw, he'll need Federer to lose before the final, and he'll probably need to beat Nadal/Murray in the process. No easy task, but it's possible.

If he didn't choke he would have beaten Federer at Wimbledon this year.

flying24
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM

It doesnt matter. He still played the match of his life and still couldnt beat a sluggish Federer. Roddick will never beat Federer in a slam, this years Wimbledon is the closest he will get. I would add to that though I doubt he will beat Del Potro in a slam (unless the unlikely event they play at Wimbledon), and the only slam he might beat Murray is Wimbledon. If Nadal returns to form I doubt Roddick would beat him in any slam other than the U.S Open. The only top 6 player he has a good shot of beating in future slams is Djokovic. However there are many players outside the top 6 who can potentially beat him in slams also. He would need the perfect draw and everything to go perfect to ever win another slam.

mikeynyuk
09-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Are you kidding me? He was nowhere near done until 2008, and even then, he upped his game again and got back in shape. If it wasn't for a certain Swiss player, he would have at least 5 slams by now.

This is quite true, Federer has been the nemisis of Roddicks carrer. If I was Roddick, Id really have a hard time liking Fed after all hes denied him. Talk about a nightmare matchup for Roddick :twisted:

NamRanger
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
It doesnt matter. He still played the match of his life and still couldnt beat a sluggish Federer. Roddick will never beat Federer in a slam, this years Wimbledon is the closest he will get. I would add to that though I doubt he will beat Del Potro in a slam (unless the unlikely event they play at Wimbledon), and the only slam he might beat Murray is Wimbledon. If Nadal returns to form I doubt Roddick would beat him in any slam other than the U.S Open. The only top 6 player he has a good shot of beating in future slams is Djokovic. However there are many players outside the top 6 who can potentially beat him in slams also. He would need the perfect draw and everything to go perfect to ever win another slam.

Sluggish? I'd hardly call a guy serving 50+ aces "sluggish." Maybe from the ground, but that had alot to do with how well Roddick was playing.

cuddles26
09-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Isnt Roddick 27 years old now. That isnt the age people typically get better and he is only around the 6th best player in the World now.

Tony48
09-21-2009, 07:29 PM
2010 Prediction for Andy Roddick: Will lose another 15 lbs and still won't win a slam.

tvp900
09-22-2009, 07:34 AM

If you're reffering to the easy backhand volley, then maybe, yes he did choke. But he played incredibly solid throughout that match and broke Federer twice in the process. Does anybody know how many times he had been broken at that Wimbledon? I don't think it was many. Roddick proved that he can break Fed when he did so in the fourth set. People seem to forget that Fed was broken so easily in that set. If he can do it once, he can do it twice, he can do it three times.

Cfidave
09-22-2009, 01:18 PM
But he could not do it to win the match. He made 5 unforced errors in his last service game, three of which were complete shanks. The pressure finally got to him in that game. Roger simply handled the pressure better.

MaiDee
09-22-2009, 03:04 PM
2010 Predictions
Australian Open - Quarterfinals
French Open - 32
Wimbledon - Semifinals
US Open - Quarterfinals

NamRanger
09-22-2009, 03:05 PM
But he could not do it to win the match. He made 5 unforced errors in his last service game, three of which were complete shanks. The pressure finally got to him in that game. Roger simply handled the pressure better.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that had to do with the fact that Roddick was so tired he couldn't even move.

TheFifthSet
09-22-2009, 03:09 PM

If Rafter didn't choke he would've beaten Sampras in the 2000 Wimby finals. Same with Goran in the '98 finals.

See how easy that is?

SuperDuy
09-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Australian Open -WIN
French Open - WIN
Wimbledon - WIN
US Open - WIN

I think he will have a great year in 2010, he will watch federer lose in the semis of each event.

tvp900
09-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Australian Open -WIN
French Open - WIN
Wimbledon - WIN
US Open - WIN

I think he will have a great year in 2010, he will watch federer lose in the semis of each event.

I just got a little light-headed. lol. Fantastic prediction, however unrealistic.

Serve_Ace
09-22-2009, 06:59 PM
He wants a Wimbledon on his resume, and that's what he's aiming for next, I believe with his hard work it will pay off. His ground game matched evenly with every player this year. I believe he can take his game up another notch.

maddogz32
09-22-2009, 07:07 PM
he has more of a chance at USO or Wimby then the other two