PDA

View Full Version : Questioning Line calls?

DownTheLine
09-19-2009, 06:32 PM
It seems when a certain someone and I play a set he always complains about calls. He will hit it about 2 feet out ill say "Out" and then he'll starting talking under his breath and go "UH" then I say "What did you think it was in?" He'll say "It was close.." He will even do this for balls that are 4 feet out. I call the same against other players and they agree and don't say anything...

What should I do to prove him that there out?

jonnythan
09-19-2009, 06:36 PM
You don't have to prove to him that they were out.

Call it out. If he mutters, ignore him. If he questions it, just say "I'm sorry, I clearly saw it out." And that's it.

Mdubb23
09-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Stop hitting with him.

jagmeister
09-21-2009, 04:30 AM
I agree -- either ignore him or tell him in between matches to stop questioning calls, and if he doesn't simply drop him as a hitting partner.

sando
09-21-2009, 04:59 AM
just make sure u still win. it will be even more satisfying and he will go fishing for other excuses

jmnk
09-26-2009, 11:05 AM
here's what I did. this is assuming that the other person does not cheat on purpose - he is just too sure he sees better.

I was fed up with him questioning almost every call on my side. I can sometimes see someone asking about the call if I called it wide on the down the line shot - because he may have had a good look at it. But I can't stand questioning my calls if it is long since that is suggesting that he has a better view from the other side of the court while I'm like two feet from the ball.

So one day, after couple of games and usual call questioning, I decided not to call any balls out on my side. I was returning everything, long, wide, balls landing outside doubles alleys, whatever I could get to. I was thinking that if he indeed has such eagle eye he would definitely suggest that some of the balls I called in and returned were maybe out. But he never did, not once. after I lost four games, as at that level there's no chance you can win playing that way, and was spent running, I finally asked if maybe some of the calls could possibly be out. He said that maybe indeed it couple of times it looked a bit long/wide - but he was giving me the benefit of the doubt to make calls on my side. Which is exactly what I wanted. I told him what I was doing and from now on he must respect --all-- my calls, not only ones that go in his favor. Furthermore I said I will give him a warning on first questioned call, and a point penalty on anything after that. and I'm not discussing any calls anymore, period. We hardly have had issue ever since. I've penalized him a point once or twice, anytime he even thinks about questioning I just remind him of that set we played - and believe me, he remembers.