PDA

View Full Version : karlovic... if

ubermeyer
09-19-2009, 09:16 PM
If Karlovic had had proper training in his early years and was born 10-15 years earlier (and had his prime ten or 15 years ago), how good do you think he could have been on the 90's grass? I think he could have made the finals of Wimbledon at least a few times, maybe even winning.

tudwell
09-19-2009, 09:20 PM
He would be Goran Ivanisevic.

IvanAndreevich
09-19-2009, 09:45 PM
He would be Goran Ivanisevic.

Except Karlovic is not a head case and he doesn't DF half the time, so his serve is actually better.

ubermeyer
09-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Except Karlovic is not a head case and he doesn't DF half the time, so his serve is actually better.

his serve is objectively BETTER even now, yet may be less effective because of the slower courts.

IvanAndreevich
09-19-2009, 10:07 PM
his serve is objectively BETTER even now, yet may be less effective because of the slower courts.

Well, Goran's first serve was pretty much as unreturnable as Ivo's. He is a lefty. I think Ivo serves a higher percentage, and his second serve is very solid. For sure, overall - a noticeable edge to Ivo.

quest01
09-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Karlovic would have been tougher to beat during the 90's because it was easier to serve and volley.

darthpwner
09-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Well, Goran's first serve was pretty much as unreturnable as Ivo's. He is a lefty. I think Ivo serves a higher percentage, and his second serve is very solid. For sure, overall - a noticeable edge to Ivo.

I think Goran's 2nd serve was better than Karlovic. Sure he double faulted more, but he hit more 2nd serve aces than double faults, so it evens out. Of the 78 aces Karlovic hit in Davis Cup, only 1 was a 2nd serve ace. Ivanisevic routinely hit 2nd serve aces mainly because he was a headcase, but his 2nd serve was a beast second to only Sampras. Otherwise, Karlovic's 1st serve is way better than Ivanisevic's

ericsson
09-20-2009, 10:17 AM
I think Goran's 2nd serve was better than Karlovic. Sure he double faulted more, but he hit more 2nd serve aces than double faults, so it evens out. Of the 78 aces Karlovic hit in Davis Cup, only 1 was a 2nd serve ace. Ivanisevic routinely hit 2nd serve aces mainly because he was a headcase, but his 2nd serve was a beast second to only Sampras. Otherwise, Karlovic's 1st serve is way better than Ivanisevic's

Well i wouldnt say that, infact Ivanisevic's first serv is amongst the best in the world, even former champions admit that.

Claudius
09-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Whose serve was deadlier: Sampras' or Ivanisevic's?

Kick Serve 14
09-20-2009, 10:27 AM
sampras... i think the grand slam total will vouch for that...

darthpwner
09-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Well i wouldnt say that, infact Ivanisevic's first serv is amongst the best in the world, even former champions admit that.

Yes it is. Ivanisevic may have the most aces of all time on his first serve, but because Karlovic simply is a giant, the height of the serve's bounce made it unreturnable. Ivanisevic's serve was much easier to return if you could get the racket on it. Karlovic has the same ace potential as Goran but also has a much better unreturnable serve statistic than Ivanisevic.

darthpwner
09-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I think Ivanisevic's serve overall was better than Pete. Pete was just better in clutch situations and had a better overall game than Goran which is why he held more.

tennisdad65
09-20-2009, 10:53 AM
sampras... i think the grand slam total will vouch for that...

Sampras's overall game was far superior to Ivanisevic's, but as far as serve goes, they were almost even.

darthpwner
09-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Sampras's overall game was far superior to Ivanisevic's, but as far as serve goes, they were almost even.

Ivanisevic had more power, sidespin, disguise, and aces than Pete. Pete had more clutch serving ability, topspin, and consistency. They both were about even in accuracy.

Cesc Fabregas
09-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Are you serious? Goran is much much much more talented than the one trick pony Karlovic.

Kick Serve 14
09-20-2009, 11:06 AM

This is true...

ubermeyer
09-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Are you serious? Goran is much much much more talented than the one trick pony Karlovic.

Yes but Karlovic has a much much better serve. Goran has better... everything else. that is why he isn't a one trick pony but Karlovic is.

ubermeyer
09-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Ivanisevic's serve is amongst the best ever, but Karlovic's is THE best ever, and is far superior. the reason Goran has the ace records is because he was in his serving prime when the courts were much faster.

ubermeyer
09-20-2009, 12:31 PM

Ivanisevic's 2nd serve, maybe better than Ivo's. But if Ivo had Isner's 2nd serve... he'd be even better. Perhaps if he had been properly coached he could have honed his 2nd serve to a big weapon as well.

IvanAndreevich
09-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Huh? I was talking about serve and serve alone. Mentally, Goran is a total head case. Otherwise he would definitely have more than 1 slam.

DF is more of a negative than an ace is a positive. They don't even out. If you are down a break point and serve a double, you are broken. Truth is, if you watch any Sampras - Ivanisevic match, you would notice that the big difference was that Pete had a reliable and good second serve while Goran didn't.

Casticus
09-20-2009, 04:48 PM

What does your comment have anything to do with this thread or anyone's post? No one is comparing their overall talent. When the serve goes in, I think their serve is equal, but since Karlovic is more consistant and more clutch with that serve, his serve is much much better. The rest of the game.. not so much.

maddogz32
09-20-2009, 04:51 PM
he would have been a good match for goran ivansivec

ubermeyer
09-20-2009, 05:41 PM
can somebody tell me what actually happened with the croatian tennis federation? I know he had barely any real courts to play on and nobody to practice with in his early childhood. Why did the association snub his family even when he was showing talent and results?

darthpwner
09-20-2009, 07:06 PM
can somebody tell me what actually happened with the croatian tennis federation? I know he had barely any real courts to play on and nobody to practice with in his early childhood. Why did the association snub his family even when he was showing talent and results?

The Croatian tennis federation treated everyone equal. Too equal. Instead of being singled out as a good player, he received group coaching with 80 other kids and just 1 coach.

ubermeyer
09-20-2009, 08:26 PM
The Croatian tennis federation treated everyone equal. Too equal. Instead of being singled out as a good player, he received group coaching with 80 other kids and just 1 coach.

but how come it seems like he feels that he was never properly taught how to hit a backhand (yes he said this) and that he never got to play enough with anybody else, instead just having to practice his serve? He also seemed to think that Ljubicic and others got all the money and all the attention... if they were also treated equal, then this wouldn't be the case right?

darthpwner
09-21-2009, 06:52 AM
but how come it seems like he feels that he was never properly taught how to hit a backhand (yes he said this) and that he never got to play enough with anybody else, instead just having to practice his serve? He also seemed to think that Ljubicic and others got all the money and all the attention... if they were also treated equal, then this wouldn't be the case right?

Well it's not Karlovic's fault that he didnt receive special attention from the coach even though he was a special talent and had to hit with the other 79 crappy players. Should have gone to Nicola Pilic's academy.

helloworld
09-21-2009, 07:10 AM
He still wouldn't win any slam. Goran was basically a much better version of Karlovic, and he still won 0 Slam in the 90s(he won it in 2001). Karlovic shouldn't have a chance in hell to win a slam if Goran couldn't even manage to win one.

bakla
09-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Karlovic's serve is amazing because he spent his entire life with no opponents, all he could do was practice his serve.

If he had opponents all his life, he would not have practiced his serve so much and it wouldn't be this good.