PDA

View Full Version : will Delpo beat Federer again in a slam?

aphex
09-20-2009, 01:38 AM
as long as federer remains competitive i can't see him losing to delpotro again
in a HC slam...

federer became too casual in the final and lost. i'm pretty sure he'll analyze this match to death because he knows he'll keep running into delpo from now on.

for some (inexplicable) reason he abandoned the winning strategy of the first 1.5 sets and self destructed by feeding delpo's massive forehand. i don't think he'll let it happen again.

the winning strategy pretty much is: slice him to death (especially if you have federer's slice).

that's why the first slam where i think federer might lose to delpo again is RG (because the slice sits up).

i'd certainly bet on federer on a HC slam though...

Augustus
09-20-2009, 03:37 AM
If Del Potro continues to improve, he can beat Federer again in a Slam. IMO he didn't play his best in the USO final, but he still managed to defeat Federer.

On top of that, he has now beaten Federer on the biggest stage and he will believe he can do it again.
If Fed plays as crappy as he did on Monday the next time they meet he won't win two sets.

So Fed really has to play close to his if he wants to beat an in-form Del Potro in a Slam.

PED
09-20-2009, 04:15 AM
It's been interesting to watch the progression of Delpo this year in their matches starting back in Australia. I went into that match thinking we would see an epic battle but what we got was a beat down. Madrid was not much better but Roland Garros certainly was. The final progression of course was the USO.

It will be interesting if they meet in the end of the year championships in London. I thought Federer served horribly and that was probably the difference along with the fact that by the middle of the 2nd set, delpo remembered that he's got a killer FH and started using it ;)

Not a bad performance by delpo to go down a set against Fed and come back and win it in a slam. As many have mentioned, the 5th set against delpo resembled the 5th against Rafa at the AO this year. I'm just glad to see some variety.

marpiw
09-20-2009, 04:20 AM
First Nadal and then Federer suffered the crushing effect of playing against a wall that returned almost everything...
This is the ''Del Potro Wall Efect'' and I guess when he is fresh and concentrated he applies this effect quite easily...
I guess if he is in perfect conditions Del Potro will be for them the worst nightmare they can imagine...Yes,Federer and Nadal will have extremely hard times trying to beat him...and they wont succeed...

jwbarrientos
09-20-2009, 04:24 AM
Delpo could defeat Roger, but no in grass.

with Roger Serving well, Delpo has no chance so far.

marpiw
09-20-2009, 04:31 AM
Delpo could defeat Roger, but no in grass.

with Roger Serving well, Delpo has no chance so far.I find that Federer is a bad server and he looses many chances because of this defect.

Olorin
09-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Federer has a defect ? LOL.

callen3615
09-20-2009, 04:51 AM
IDK, I think fed was playing pretty bad those last two sets. I think he can if he continues to get better.

P_Agony
09-20-2009, 05:48 AM
I doubt it. First they both have to meet in the final, and it's nearly impossible in the non-HC slams, since Nadal owns RG and DP can't play on grass. So it leaves the HC slams, and if the two meet again (which I highly doubt) Fed will come more prepared with a better strategy and hopefully a better serving day.

rulin
09-20-2009, 05:50 AM
I don't mean to downplay JMDP's accomplishment, because it really takes great mental strength to beat Federer no matter how bad he's playing, but I do agree the Federer got more casual after his great start. Not to mention that he couldn't buy a first serve (I think that JMDP is an underrated returner, but that doesn't totally explain Fed's horrible service performance in that match).
I do think that Federer won't have that mental lapse/casualness in his next match against JMDP... that being said, JMDP didn't play his very best or serve the greatest either... so you never know.

I gotta say, though, that JMDP, with his height and youth, made Federer look like a small old man.

rulin
09-20-2009, 05:51 AM
I don't mean to downplay JMDP's accomplishment, because it really takes great mental strength to beat Federer no matter how bad he's playing at a grand slam, but I do agree the Federer got more casual after his great start. Not to mention that he couldn't buy a first serve (I think that JMDP is an underrated returner, but that doesn't totally explain Fed's horrible service performance in that match).
I do think that Federer won't have that mental lapse/casualness in his next match against JMDP... that being said, JMDP didn't play his very best or serve the greatest either... so you never know.

I gotta say, though, that JMDP, with his height and youth, made Federer look like a small old man.

ZhengJieisagoddess
09-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Yes. he can; and yes, he will.

hoodjem
09-20-2009, 06:18 AM
I would have to say yes.

DelPo is getting better. Remember the FO 2009 match--very close. DelPo almost won there. He has lots of areas to improve.

Fed seems to be inconsistent. He has his ups and downs. Can Fed improve? Maybe only mentally.

Talker
09-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Potro is getting better.
In the UO I think Fed tried to show Potro that he could beat him playing "who could hit harder". Instead of using all his skills.

This loss shows a limitation of Fed's skills.
Six straight UO's would have been a tremendous achievement, lost because of playing foolishly, IMO.

Years back sugar Ray Leonard lost his first match with Roberto Duran, he played Duran's game by slugging it out instead of using all his skills.

The next match Leonard used all his skills and beat Duran badly in the famous "NO MAS!!!" fight.

That's what I saw at the UO final. Still credit to Potro though.

fps
09-20-2009, 08:09 AM
he certainly is capable!! nearly did it at the french, done it now on hards. grass federer is clear favourite, otherwise nothing is certain. says a lot about federer that at 28, on a bad serving day, it still took 5 sets and the performance of his life for del potro to win it. i really like the guy, and hope their next match is a little less up and down.

フェデラー
09-20-2009, 08:11 AM
I would have to say yes.

DelPo is getting better. Remember the FO 2009 match--very close. DelPo almost won there. He has lots of areas to improve.

Fed seems to be inconsistent. He has his ups and downs. Can Fed improve? Maybe only mentally.

very close? you mean fed barely loses first 2 of three sets, then goes on utter rampage?

President
09-20-2009, 08:12 AM
I think he can. Many people say Federer played badly in the US Open final, but Del Potro did not play at his best either. He experienced a bit of a cooldown just like Tsonga at the AO (except he won the match).

I think Del Potro can definitely beat Federer at any GS but Wimbledon.

jackson vile
09-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Yes he will, and I will put money on that.

Mick
09-20-2009, 09:54 AM
come on, federer is 28 and del potro is only 20 (soon to be 21).

even though federer is the goat, he cannot sustain his level of play forever and del potro probably will get even better.

Olorin
09-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Fed seems to be inconsistent.

If Fed is inconsistent then what does that make Del Pony ?

dh003i
09-20-2009, 10:40 AM
If Del Potro continues to improve, he can beat Federer again in a Slam. IMO he didn't play his best in the USO final, but he still managed to defeat Federer.

On top of that, he has now beaten Federer on the biggest stage and he will believe he can do it again.
If Fed plays as crappy as he did on Monday the next time they meet he won't win two sets.

So Fed really has to play close to his if he wants to beat an in-form Del Potro in a Slam.

Federer didn't play his best either, and was far from it for much of the match, starting with his serve. So both could've played better.

Yes, if Federer shows up playing with a serious deficiency (like serve), Delpo can beat him again. But if he plays more like Wimbledon '09 final, I don't think Delpo will beat him. But it's possible.

TheNatural
09-20-2009, 10:43 AM
The question is will Fed ever beat Delpo again in a slam, because Delpo finished all over the top of Fed and overwhelmed him with too much consistent power. Delpo looked very comfortable with Fed's game by the end of the match, and Fed looked out of answers.

grafselesfan
09-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I doubt it. First they both have to meet in the final, and it's nearly impossible in the non-HC slams, since Nadal owns RG and DP can't play on grass. So it leaves the HC slams, and if the two meet again (which I highly doubt) Fed will come more prepared with a better strategy and hopefully a better serving day.

I very much disagree Federer and Del Potro wont probably meet in a slam again. Even if Nadal owns RG then Federer and Del Potro could still meet in the semis at some point. I agree they wont meet at Wimbledon where Del Potro sucks (and if they ever do Federer will destroy him). However they probably will meet at a hard court slam at some point again. They are two of the best hard court players in the World, and while there are a few others too, why wouldnt they meet at some point again there.

Cyan
09-20-2009, 02:36 PM
How many times did Safin beat Sampras at the slams?

ZhengJieisagoddess
09-20-2009, 03:03 PM
You have to factor in the psychology too -- now Juan Martin knows he can win the Big One. Fed's gotta be worrying -- but he's tough. Still, the hand of Father Time is tick tick ticking...and I might be totally wrong here, but Fed is no Martina when it comes to devotion to being totally fit. At least I haven't heard that he is (and I may very well be really off on this; no disrespect to RF, the GOAT, intended.).

myalterego
09-20-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't really think Delpo can beat Federer unless Federer has a horrible day (USO F) and Delpo has a great day (USO F).

The-Champ
09-20-2009, 03:22 PM
beat the guy once and the whole world goes hysterical.

Of course he will beat Del potro again.

maddogz32
09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
delpo is still improving. but federer has to be playing as bad or worse than he did in the USO final

edmondsm
09-20-2009, 06:11 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I have to wonder if Delpo will have a post-slam slump ala Novak Djokovic. With Federer and Nadal aging, he might have a better shot at winning slams in the near future than Djokovic did. But I remember we all thought Djokovic was going to take over, we thought he was so talented and so mentally strong, he was definitely going to be right there with Fed and Nadal. Didn't happen.

Fedace
09-20-2009, 06:12 PM
YES, next year at Roland Garros. Delpo will get his revenge....

big bang
09-21-2009, 01:34 AM
now he knows he can beat Fed and he will do it again I am sure of, JMDP is mentally very strong..

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-21-2009, 02:07 AM
...its funny, when Murray beat a fatigued DelPo in the Montreal-final 90% of EVERYONE in here was writing down DelPo calling him a straw, that he had pysique like a 15 year old and was a mental-midget etc etc...Ridiculous!

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-21-2009, 02:16 AM
I was goona do a trolljob, but i decided otherwise.

Yeah, probably, who knows....

sh@de
09-21-2009, 05:25 AM
The question is will Fed ever beat Delpo again in a slam, because Delpo finished all over the top of Fed and overwhelmed him with too much consistent power. Delpo looked very comfortable with Fed's game by the end of the match, and Fed looked out of answers.

You make me wonder what happens in your life outside of TW...

darthpwner
09-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Yes I believe in the near future