PDA

View Full Version : Mohamed Lahyani should officiate in Grand Slam finals

Augustus
09-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Mohamed Lahyani is probably the most popular and respected umpire around, but he has never officiated in a Grand Slam final (correct me if I'm wrong). Jake Garner, a quite inexperienced umpire, was allowed to do the US Open final and was criticized a lot...

I think it's pretty strange that Mohamed Lahyani never has been chosen to officiate in GS final, and I hope 'they' will pick him to do one soon!

Any thoughts on this?

mandy01
09-20-2009, 05:39 AM
I like him too :D

EasternRocks
09-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah I agree. We don't see his face around that often in Grand Slams, rather in Master Series. He's on the top of the business and he's definitely better then Jake Garner. Out of all people, why did Jake Garner get to do the Men's Final, instead of Norm Chryst, Lars Graf, Carlos Bernardes, Steve Ulrich, etc?

JeMar
09-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Does he have the badge necessary to officiate slam finals? I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you can officiate non-final slam matches with a silver badge, but only gold badge officials get to work Davis Cup matches and slam finals.

Claudius
09-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Is Jake Garner Woodrow?

woodrow1029
09-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Jake Garner is not Woodrow.

Jake is a gold badge umpire. He also was the chair umpire for the 2007 mens singles final Federer vs. Djokovic. He also is a member of the ITF Grand Slam team of chair umpires. Also was a chair umpire at the 2008 Davis Cup finals.

Not very inexperienced.

nikkhasnis
09-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Lahyani obtained his umpiring badge in 1991 and the following year officiated at the Barcelona Olympics as well as tournaments in Nice and Monte Carlo. Since gaining professional status in 1997 he has officiated at countless Grand Slams including 17 consecutive Wimbledons.

Lahyani can boast that he umpired the only duel between Pete Sampras and Roger Federer (at Wimbledon in 2001)

Very nice guy, always with a smile. Love the way he says "Mr. Fed-de-rear"

Did not see him at this years USO though.

NamRanger
09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Jake Garner is not Woodrow.

Jake is a gold badge umpire. He also was the chair umpire for the 2007 mens singles final Federer vs. Djokovic. He also is a member of the ITF Grand Slam team of chair umpires. Also was a chair umpire at the 2008 Davis Cup finals.

Not very inexperienced.

Considering what happened in the match between Federer and Del Potro, I'm pretty sure any umpire would have been out of sorts.