PDA

View Full Version : Running shoes for tennis?

tennisnoob2
09-20-2009, 08:35 AM
i bought new shoes bout a month ago. I wore them daily and played tennis in them for about 7hrs a week(tennis). eventualy the sole wore down in like a week. one shoe is basically white on the bottom now. So basically was it idiotic to play tennis in them or is the quality just crap? Would nike replace them?(or sports auth store where they were purchased?)

http://running.******.com/images/748/7489387/8521-793848-d.jpg

basically its a small dot under each little waffle iron square.

sidenote: Are there any extremely durable tennis shoes?

edit: **= zaps online shoe store, just google nike structure triax 12 or waffle iron sole if u care

120mphBodyServe
09-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Running shoes are designed for RUNNING.
Running is a forward motion. Tennis shoes are designed for lateral movement(side to side).
Also the outsoles tend to be more durable due to the abrasive nature of hardcourts (the most common surface, usually)...
Yes, you can return the shoes and YES it was so wrong to use running shoes to play tennis, be glad you didn't roll your ankles while doing so...

tennisnoob2
09-20-2009, 11:00 AM
ah that makes sense

jonnythan
09-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I've been using a pair of NB running shoes all summer, playing 2-5 times per week. They're holding up well.

I'll replace them with a pair of tennis shoes when these wear out.

ANG
09-20-2009, 11:53 AM
When I started back playing recently I was wearing a pair of one month old running shoes. Playing a few times a week, with some of it just working on getting my ground strokes back I rolled one ankle and started to destroy the soles. Running shoes are simply not designed for the type of movement and stress tennis puts on your foot and the shoe itself.

One pair of tennis shoes is a lot cheaper then replacing running shoes all the time.

BreakPoint
09-20-2009, 12:06 PM
All I have to say is that you'd better be paid up on your medical insurance and enjoy walking on crutches if you try playing tennis in running shoes. You will sprain an ankle sooner rather than later.

jonnythan
09-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Are you guys serious?

I have weak ankles and it's no problem for me. It's not a death sentence. What do you think people did before fancy tennis shoes? Die?

BreakPoint
09-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Are you guys serious?

I have weak ankles and it's no problem for me. It's not a death sentence. What do you think people did before fancy tennis shoes? Die?
You obviously don't play tennis at a very high level then.

By the way, ALL sneakers used to be called "tennis shoes" because they came before other types of athletic shoes. :)

jonnythan
09-20-2009, 12:15 PM
It's not a great idea, but it's not a death sentence. Lots and lots of people play in running shoes with no problem.

plowmanjoe
09-20-2009, 12:19 PM
it's pretty much a death sentence if you have any kind of real footwork.

second, it's against the rules on most tennis courts i know of. running shoes rub off on the court and put black marks all over the place.

ClubHoUno
09-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Two words for you: BAD IDEA

Running shoes does not support the lateral movements you make in tennis, so skip this idea NOW !

120mphBodyServe
09-20-2009, 05:24 PM
It's not a great idea, but it's not a death sentence. Lots and lots of people play in running shoes with no problem.

I have a special name for these people. I call them IDIOTS.
Don't be one of them.

dancraig
09-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Many clubs prohibit running shoes on clay courts. The waffled soles destroy the clay surface.

brw1016
09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
I broke my ankle playing tennis in high school because I was wearing running shoes.

Bernie Mac
09-22-2009, 02:14 AM
depending what type of courts you play on, for example on grass courts running shoes may grip too much due to the rigid soles they generally have, hence your stopping time is far too less than if you can slide. when your soles have wore then they can slide more easily. stopping time is important to allow your momentum to reduce hence less chance of injury in comparison to if you stopped suddenly

bottledwater
09-22-2009, 06:17 AM
I play with Plimsolls, even though they're not durable or have any support, they don't kill me. Many people underestimate the human body.

javierjavier
09-22-2009, 09:12 AM
for those that are starting out and not wanting to invest immediately in a pair of tennis shoes, i'd recommend playing tennis in an old pair of basketball shoes vs. running shoes. they will offer you similar if not better lateral support than tennis shoes.