PDA

View Full Version : Did Del Potro have a cakewalk draw?

Claudius
09-20-2009, 08:35 AM
I definitely think he did. He played an injured Nadal and an out-of-form Federer.
Plus, his opponents up to the quarterfinals were complete clowns.

For that reason, Del Potro did not deserve this USO.

DownTheLine
09-20-2009, 08:37 AM
He actually did have an easy draw to the final. He should have gotten wasted by FED.

jwbarrientos
09-20-2009, 08:43 AM
This thread would be fantastic :shock: ... be prepared for a war :mrgreen:

grimpi
09-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Well, if play against Nadal and Federer was an easy draw, and Djokovic isn't in his best moment. Who besides Murray (the man that lost playing very bad with Cilic) it's a difficult draw?

jjermann
09-20-2009, 08:45 AM
joke thread

President
09-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Out of Form Federer who had just demolished Djokovic and won Cincinnati right before USO? (beating Djokovic and Murray convincingly)

Hopefully this is a joke thread.

JeMar
09-20-2009, 09:25 AM
lol, what the heck?

1st round: Juan Monaco, one of the most talented players on tour and a helluva first round opponent.

2nd round: Jergen Melzer, touted throughout his whole career as a top 20 contender. Coming off a great win against two-time slam winner Marat Safin.

3rd round: Daniel Koellerer, not the best player, but definitely explosive and hard to play against because of how crazy he is.

4th round: Juan Carlos Ferrero, former French Open champ in the middle of a resurgence.

QF: Marin Cilic, just beat Murray on his favorite surface. Future top 5 player and grand slam contender.

SF: Nadal, second greatest player of this generation. 6 majors, including two on faster surfaces. Not 100% because of injuries, but that affected mainly his serve, not his groundies. Even injured, Nadal fights for every single point and is, by far, the fiercest competitor on the tour these days.

F: Federer, like we haven't said enough about this guy? 5-time defending champ, never lost a major final to anyone but Nadal, 15 grand slams, coming off the best summer of his life. If there was ever an epic "end boss" at the end of a tennis tournament, this would be him.

I'm pretty sure this is a joke thread, but just in case.

jeansain
09-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I definitely think he did. He played an injured Nadal and an out-of-form Federer.

Is this supposed to be sarcasm?

LafayetteHitter
09-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Obviously some of the people that visit these forums have never attended a pro event. There is not such thing as easy at that level.

Also, I wonder sometimes how many of the experts on these forums have ever attempted to play a 5 set match.

Tennis_Maestro
09-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Claudius, your usually a good poster, i dunno what you banged your head on recently, but i suggest you seek a Doctor's help.

P_Agony
09-20-2009, 10:04 AM
DP deserved the US Open, but I agree he had an easy draw. Up until the semis he didn't face a single great player, and no, Cilic isn't one.

Sentinel
09-20-2009, 10:14 AM
:-D Nice thread.

The ITF should have considered while making the draw that Nadal would sleep with Shakira the night before, and Federer would be changing diapers all night long.
Heads should roll at the ITF.

samster
09-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Del Potro won the US Open. Deal with it.

jjermann
09-20-2009, 10:47 AM
DP deserved the US Open, but I agree he had an easy draw. Up until the semis he didn't face a single great player, and no, Cilic isn't one.

since when you have to face "great player" until semi? if you look federer draws in the past its same story, federer doesnt have to face single "great player" until semis NEVER because he is number one seed...its the same all top 4 seeds.

gotta love tennis experts like you :haha:

tudwell
09-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Easiest draw to a grand slam title EVER!

anointedone
09-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Let me let you in on a secret. Gulbis will never make it.

anointedone
09-20-2009, 11:43 AM

You make it sound like the mens field today is chalked so full of great players it is some grand rarity when you dont face one until the semis. None of Nadal, Federer, or Djokovic faced a great player until the semis too unless Gonzalez, Soderling, or Verdasco somehow fit that bill.

theroleoftheunderdog
09-20-2009, 11:57 AM
del potro will win more slams. count on it

ubermeyer
09-20-2009, 12:36 PM
1st round: Juan Monaco, one of the most talented players on tour and a helluva first round opponent.

Super-talented...? What results???

2nd round: Jergen Melzer, touted throughout his whole career as a top 20 contender. Coming off a great win against two-time slam winner Marat Safin.

Touted as a top 20 contender... but never lived up to it yet. Still, yes he beat Safin...

3rd round: Daniel Koellerer, not the best player, but definitely explosive and hard to play against because of how crazy he is.

uhh... I don't see why he was a difficult draw...

4th round: Juan Carlos Ferrero, former French Open champ in the middle of a resurgence.

Agreed.

QF: Marin Cilic, just beat Murray on his favorite surface. Future top 5 player and grand slam contender.

Agreed... although not sure about the grand slam contender thing. Probably will hit top 5 at some point.

SF: Nadal, second greatest player of this generation. 6 majors, including two on faster surfaces. Not 100% because of injuries, but that affected mainly his serve, not his groundies. Even injured, Nadal fights for every single point and is, by far, the fiercest competitor on the tour these days.

Agreed, and plus JMDP slaughtered him.

F: Federer, like we haven't said enough about this guy? 5-time defending champ, never lost a major final to anyone but Nadal, 15 grand slams, coming off the best summer of his life. If there was ever an epic "end boss" at the end of a tennis tournament, this would be him.

Agreed.

This is a joke thread for sure.

Augustus
09-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Del Potro's draw this US Open was without doubt the most difficult draw among the draws of the GS winners this year.

The only 'easy' opponent was Koellerer. Monaco, Melzer and Ferrero are decent opponents for the early round matches.
I agree Cilic isn't a great player yet, but he was playing well, just having beat Murray.
Nadal maybe wasn't 100 %, but still very tough and a great competitor.
Facing Federer in your first Slam final while having a 0-6 record against him must have been DP's nightmare. He started nervous, but capitalized on Federers shaky play in the end, something very few men would have been able to do IMO.

BTW This thread can't be serious...

phishua
09-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Maybe the OP is serious, but I think any title that you have to go through both Nadal and Federer to get is a well-deserved and fairly-earned title. DP played great. An injured Nadal is still a difficult match, and I don't know how anyone can say Federer is out of form...he won the FO, Wimby, and Cincy before he made it to the US Open final. He was also in the AO final. How is that out of form??? Goodness gracious.

GoaLaSSo
09-20-2009, 12:52 PM
i would say it was easy compared to to other draws, but a gs draw is never actually easy. :evil:

drwood
09-20-2009, 01:30 PM

That would be Sampras 2000 Wimbledon, followed by Sampras 1999 Wimbledon...by far the 2 easiest draws every for a Slam title.

flying24
09-20-2009, 01:35 PM
That would be Sampras 2000 Wimbledon, followed by Sampras 1999 Wimbledon...by far the 2 easiest draws every for a Slam title.

Actually Sampras at Wimbledon 97 and U.S Open 93 were much easier. The Sampras draw at Wimbledon 99 was actually pretty tough. Philippoussis, Henman, and Agassi in the last 3 rounds. That is tough.

jjermann
09-20-2009, 01:37 PM
he beat nadal and federer you fools, get a life seriously...this is extremely funny

drwood
09-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Actually Sampras at Wimbledon 97 and U.S Open 93 were much easier. The Sampras draw at Wimbledon 99 was actually pretty tough. Philippoussis, Henman, and Agassi in the last 3 rounds. That is tough.

Good points, but Sampras had to beat Korda and Becker (slam winners) back-to-back in 97 Wimbledon (and he almost lost to Korda)

Philippousis would have been tough in 99, but he retired after winning the 1st set against Sampras.

93 US Open -- Sampras had to beat Chang in QF, but I agree, that draw was easy as well.

Keeping in mind that there really is no such thing as an easy draw in a slam, the "easy" draws Sampras got in slams he won has to include:
1. 2000 Wimbledon (no doubt)
2. 1993 US Open
3. 1999 Wimbledon
4. 1997 Wimbledon

Tony48
09-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Someone's thread-making privileges needs to be revoked.

beernutz
09-20-2009, 02:51 PM

You are either yet another of the seemingly endless supply of mouth-breathing morons who've invaded this forum or you think you are being clever.

I hope it is the latter but expect it is the former. If you aren't a moron and can actually comprehend what I am writing then what was the point of your post?

jwbarrientos
09-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Claudius, your usually a good poster, i dunno what you banged your head on recently, but i suggest you seek a Doctor's help.

You know, cheap beer confuse your mind 8)

Cyan
09-20-2009, 03:29 PM
You bet Del Potro had a cakewalk draw. Nole's draw when he won the AO was tougher..............

Cyan
09-20-2009, 03:32 PM

Maybe he will be a one slam wonder like his compatriot Sabatini....

jjermann
09-20-2009, 03:36 PM
You bet Del Potro had a cakewalk draw. Nole's draw when he won the AO was tougher..............

are you serious? hope youre not :oops:

jjermann
09-20-2009, 03:37 PM
* hopefully youre joking, still there is no edit button love to me :D

jjermann
09-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe he will be a one slam wonder like his compatriot Sabatini....

not gonna happen, he can beat two all time greats federer and nadal back-to-back so he has potential to take at least 3-4 more

myalterego
09-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I really don't know how playing (and beating) Fed and Nadal is considered a "cakewalk" draw...

maddogz32
09-20-2009, 04:32 PM
he had an easy draw until he was supposed to face murray ( if murray hadnt gotten out) but unitl he faced nadal it was easy

flying24
09-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Good points, but Sampras had to beat Korda and Becker (slam winners) back-to-back in 97 Wimbledon (and he almost lost to Korda)

Philippousis would have been tough in 99, but he retired after winning the 1st set against Sampras.

93 US Open -- Sampras had to beat Chang in QF, but I agree, that draw was easy as well.

Keeping in mind that there really is no such thing as an easy draw in a slam, the "easy" draws Sampras got in slams he won has to include:
1. 2000 Wimbledon (no doubt)
2. 1993 US Open
3. 1999 Wimbledon
4. 1997 Wimbledon

There is simply no way I can agree 1999 Wimbledon was an easier draw than Wimbledon 1997. Becker was completely done in 1997. He was injured most of the year, barely won matches when he did play, and in the lead up to Wimbledon lost to Kafelnikov on grass. There is a reason he retired. Of course Sampras handled Becker in impressive fashion at Wimbledon in both 93 and 95 when he was far better than he was in 97, so I am pretty sure he would have been able to take down any Becker, still at Wimbledon 97 Becker was not that tough an opponent anymore. As for Korda he is no grass courter even if he played a great match vs Sampras. He only made one quarterfinal his whole career at Wimbledon and that was next year. Agassi and grass courter Henman both at their career peaks are easily better than Becker of 97 or Korda on grass.