PDA

View Full Version : Federer Injury???

jones101
09-20-2009, 09:08 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/09/Davis-Cup-PO-Swiss-Serbia-Sweden-Win-Ties.aspx

"It was a tough weekend for us and I'm happy I could help Switzerland win," said Federer, who finished runner-up to Juan Martin del Potro at the US Open last week. "I was able to play very well. I have to go on holiday badly. I have a problem with my leg, I have a problem with my arm everything is hurting. And I've got to do some baby-sitting."

Does anybody think this is serious or that he may pull out of the an Tokyo/Shanghai?

Talker
09-20-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/09/Davis-Cup-PO-Swiss-Serbia-Sweden-Win-Ties.aspx

"It was a tough weekend for us and I'm happy I could help Switzerland win," said Federer, who finished runner-up to Juan Martin del Potro at the US Open last week. "I was able to play very well. I have to go on holiday badly. I have a problem with my leg, I have a problem with my arm everything is hurting. And I've got to do some baby-sitting."

Does anybody think this is serious or that he may pull out of the an Tokyo/Shanghai?

He had time off after Wimby, but he did play Montreal/Cinci/OU.

He will play I'm pretty sure.

Not sure about his arm and leg, probably just needs some rest.

JeMar
09-20-2009, 09:18 AM
He usually takes a break after the U.S. Open, so he's just talking about how much time he's spent on court these past few months.

GPG
09-20-2009, 09:35 AM
He'll just take a rest. He has a 2 week break until the Tokyo Open

effervescence
09-20-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm thinking they're just minor aches and not proper injuries or anything serious - so I don't think he's going to pull out of any of the tournaments he's got lined up. Hope he gets a good rest!

Augustus
09-20-2009, 09:47 AM
If it was a serious injury, he wouldn't have played so well this weekend. He just needs some rest, hopefully...

P_Agony
09-20-2009, 09:55 AM
He usually takes a break after the U.S. Open, so he's just talking about how much time he's spent on court these past few months.

But is his gap from Nadal in the ranking points large enough so he could affrod not playing these events? I mean, he already lost point at the US Open right?

IvanAndreevich
09-20-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't think it's anything serious, otherwise he would not have played. Hopefully just little stuff.

sureshs
09-20-2009, 10:26 AM
He is hurting everywhere but he bagels Starace. Shouldn't hurt people be resting? I have a feeling I am being doped err duped on this one.

jackson vile
09-20-2009, 10:30 AM

My question is this going to turn into an excuse why he lost he USO?

UsualSuspect
09-20-2009, 10:31 AM
It just sounds like roger is just saying he is fatigued.

sureshs
09-20-2009, 10:33 AM

No, this time it is looking as if the pain was caused by the USO matches. He had to play DC immediately after that.

TheNatural
09-20-2009, 11:55 AM
No Injury, Fed just has a dead arm from the pounding he took against Delpo. Fed's arm was about to fall off by the 5th set v Delpo. I don't think Fed has ever had to withstand such consistent power for 5 sets versus anyone before.

mandy01
09-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Its fatigue from playing so many matches on HC ,then travelling immediately to Europe to play on a different surface.
He takes a holiday after the USO usually.

jones101
09-20-2009, 12:09 PM

No, I was just wondering whether this was a serious enough for him to pull out of the Masters. Im a big Federer fan but Delpo deserved to win the Open, Fed was not injured at the open, he was beaten by the better player that day.

I just thought that maybe from playing a lot of matches recently he is tired and then switching to clay so quickly may have aggrivated something.

sureshs
09-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Federer's decline has started. His body can't recover the way it used to.

Sartorius
09-20-2009, 01:31 PM
It just sounds like roger is just saying he is fatigued.

Incredible how people try to spin it.

Hilarious stuff from suresh & TheNatural.

JennyS
09-20-2009, 01:56 PM
No Injury, Fed just has a dead arm from the pounding he took against Delpo. Fed's arm was about to fall off by the 5th set v Delpo. I don't think Fed has ever had to withstand such consistent power for 5 sets versus anyone before.

Safin in the 2005 Aussie Open semi was pretty close.

JennyS
09-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Remember how Pete played very few tournaments in the fall during the later stages of his career? I could see Roger doing that. I expect to see him pull out of Tokyo and Shanghai.

pound cat
09-20-2009, 03:57 PM
It's tiring with babies up half the night and having to get up and play a match. Welcome to the real world, Rajah.

jppc
09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
yeah it's an excuse! like Federer is the one tearing muscles everywere, taping knees pulling out of tournaments like crazy... come on, for always reaching semifinals or better of EVERY Slam for the past 4 years, he is in BETTER shape than nadal.. for example that comes across as this SUPER FIT player

Bjorn99
09-20-2009, 07:32 PM
When Federer retires, the greatest player to WATCH OF ALL TIME will be gone. Love him, hate him, he is simply the greatest player to watch. I don't care two hoots if he is the best of all time, I personally think he is, but I hope he entertains me for years to come.

RalphNYC
09-20-2009, 07:35 PM
I can't fathom how guys like Fed, or Nadal, or any of the touring pros from 1 down to 500, can avoid massive pain and injury with the schedules they play. The pain is bad. It's not like soreness from a good workout. It's piercing pain where the body cries out to stop. I have bad elbow pain from serving if I play 3 or 4 times a week for a few weeks in a row. I just can't imagine that any of these guys live without a lot of pain.

EtePras
09-20-2009, 07:47 PM

lmao, so it hurts the arm to return 110 mph flat forehands from Del Potro, yet people return 140 mph serves all day without getting injured?

jmverdugo
09-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I can't think of a single tennis player (pro and amateur) that doesnt have some pain either on the arm, the legs, the abs, the wrist, etc and they still go out every day and every weekend and play the best tennis they can. So no, saying that your leg hurts doesnt mean you are injured, at least not severily injured.

rafan
09-20-2009, 10:58 PM
I can't think of a single tennis player (pro and amateur) that doesnt have some pain either on the arm, the legs, the abs, the wrist, etc and they still go out every day and every weekend and play the best tennis they can. So no, saying that your leg hurts doesnt mean you are injured, at least not severily injured.

If any of the players say they don't have pain at all then I think they are telling porkies because when you consider the sheer force of some of the return serves they have to encounter day after day then it must take its toll. When I saw Federer live I couldn't believe how he could do it because he looks so much thinner than on tv so if he is in pain it's no wonder.

Baikalic
09-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Incredible how people try to spin it.

Hilarious stuff from suresh & TheNatural.

Why didn't he just say he was fatigued or tired, rather than referencing specific body parts?

malakas
09-21-2009, 01:19 AM

"It was a tough weekend for us and I'm happy I could help Switzerland win," said Federer, who finished runner-up to Juan Martin del Potro at the US Open last week. "I was able to play very well. I have to go on holiday badly. I have a problem with my leg, I have a problem with my arm — everything is hurting. And I've got to do some baby-sitting."

op,thanx for posting this.
It sounds to me like it's just a matter of fatigue from the big number of matches.
Roger is one of the best in managing his schedule,I'm sure if *knock on wood* it's smth more serious,he will withdraw from Tokio and Shanghai than risk the chance of aggravating an injury.He will want to peak his perfomance at the WTF,so he will schedule accordingly.

But is his gap from Nadal in the ranking points large enough so he could affrod not playing these events? I mean, he already lost point at the US Open right?

yes it's big enough.Considering as well Nadal's own problem with injuries,it's not urgent to play these tournaments.It's more possible for Nadal to end at no.3 than at no.1

Sartorius
09-21-2009, 03:46 AM
Why didn't he just say he was fatigued or tired, rather than referencing specific body parts?

Because he can say it like that too? It doesn't sound or seem like anything serious, he was playing well minutes before he said that. Logic says he should be tired right now and the body hurts when you're tired; legs and arm more so if you're playing tennis.

If there's anything serious we'll find out in two weeks.