PDA

View Full Version : SoCal tennis is getting weaker

SoCal10s
09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I've been following SoCal tennis for quite sometimes now and it seems like this new crop of kids is weaker than previous years especially for the boys 18s .. what happened to all our boys.. USTA took most of the good ones and there's not too many left to compete here locally anymore... the left-over boys looks like they're home schooled and trying to play ITF and/or out of state National tournaments and the designated tournaments looks really weak...

10isRocs
09-22-2009, 02:00 PM
18's always thin out..kid's quit or mostly move on to Mens Open's, Challenger's etc. Late year Designated's are usually weaker cause kids have already qualified for the year for endorsement purpose...they usually pick up after Esme Pearson in January. Also, I wonder what effect new ranking system will have are these tourneys...although I don't think the higher level players will even care about So Cal rankingsras long as they are getting their National points elsewhere...

USTA has also got very strict about entering dual tourneys and the requirements for withdrawals without penalties....

SoCal10s
09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
yeah I talked to a few players and they're strictly chasing national points for national rankings ,because that's what the college coaches are looking for.. I think the new system is going to chase the top players away from the usually strong field in the designated .. those elite players have never played and will never play 8 local tournaments because they are traveling to nationals and ITFs all at the same time.. and the way the new system is set up,you would have to play more tournaments and gather points to get ranked higher... so we'll see the Safina effect in SoCal.. you don't need to be the best to get ranked high,you just need to get the most points.. this is going to a first for SoCal section to be represented by high ranked weak players.. years past,when you're high ranked in SoCal,it really meant something but now it's all a numbers game.. and to top it off,if you play up,your rankings don't carry down to the other younger age events like the national rankings does ... so if you are very good and like to play up in the age division,they won't help you in the lower age events if you you did well..

T10s747
09-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Did Socal switch from head-to-head to a points system?

mrmo1115
09-22-2009, 07:11 PM
They no longer have block seeding, correct me if I am wrong. As well what ^^^ he said, they are now a point system based ranking.

SoCal10s
09-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Did Socal switch from head-to-head to a points system?

yep.. point per round system ... and I think that sucks big time...

Wondertoy
09-23-2009, 07:31 AM
yep.. point per round system ... and I think that sucks big time...

Yeah, that sucks. It forces you to spend $$$ and play for points. Then the mediocre kids can play everything hoping for a weak field to garner points. It's a $$$ sport....Socal is typically the strongest section in the country. College coaches come to watch the big designated event every year. T'is a shame the USTA is moving that way the last few years. I think it's about the Benjamins as they want more players playing, more entry fees, mo' money....mo' grinding, mo' useless rankings to sort out talent. Every section has a handful of players who are mediocre but highly ranked as they travel to play everything.