PDA

View Full Version : Official Club Tennis Thread

NickH87
09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
For those of us who arent up to par with college level players, but who get to enjoy the competitiveness of the club level at universities and college, this shall be the thread to discuss how your practices run, your matches go, and your tournaments pan out.

For my school, we just started this fall and out members arent as big as we hoped. Around 30 people showed up to the meeting but maybe 10-12 showed up for the practices. Either due to classes during practice or not caring. We have out first match next weekend and I will probably be the number 3 or 4 player on mens singles. I would rate myself a 3.5.

Evry1hateslefties
09-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm a 4.0-5.0 and am good enough to paly in D3 or D2 but am planning on going to stanford, or columbia, and I'm not good enough for D1. I'm already warmin up to playing on a club team.

NickH87
09-28-2009, 11:47 AM
One thing that bothers me is that we have to drive ourselves to the matches and the first one is 2 hours away....its BS.

Itagaki
09-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm a 4.0-5.0 and am good enough to paly in D3 or D2 but am planning on going to stanford, or columbia, and I'm not good enough for D1. I'm already warmin up to playing on a club team.

Standford's Club team is pretty good, i think they have about 2 or 3 teams that play tournaments and such so you should have fun with that

As for the club team im on, its a little unorganized as of yet since we havent had a coach for at least two years

It's mostly just for fun, but we hope to be able to enter more tournaments this year, but we dont have any matches otherwise

dantespark33
09-30-2009, 12:22 AM
i'm an officer of club team, and taking it over next year :)
i would say i'm about 3.5 we have some solid 4.5 maybe 5.0 players

d3vi1b0y6592
10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
just asking, does Stanford have an intramural club?

d3vi1b0y6592
10-27-2009, 10:28 PM
no? im a noob to this forum. senior in high school

wyutani
10-27-2009, 10:30 PM
wahahha, this is hilarious.

d3vi1b0y6592
10-28-2009, 06:18 PM
gee .. thanks ... for the comparison.
such a great help

Itagaki
10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Apparently editing posts doesnt go in this forum, oh well

as for devilboy's question, yea they have some kind of club team going on, i dont know too much about it, but i've seen at least 2 or 3 teams in a tournament. Speaking of which, this year's is coming up in a couple of weeks

the club team(St Marys) im in should be there, hopefully we wont get beaten too bad

SlapChop
10-29-2009, 02:22 PM
When are the matches for these clubs? Are they mostly on weekends? I will be going back to University soon and I might have an interest in joining. What are the eligibility requirements?

Itagaki
10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
When are the matches for these clubs? Are they mostly on weekends? I will be going back to University soon and I might have an interest in joining. What are the eligibility requirements?

I cant say anything for stanford, but the USTA tournaments club teams participate in are on weekends

NickH87
10-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah they are usually on weekends, practices during non varsity hours.

budkid
10-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Anybody a part of USTA's Tennis on Campus club teams? Like your school actually takes part in the Tennis on Campus tourneys?

Fedace
11-01-2009, 07:14 PM
hey, these guys aren't half bad. UCLA club tennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QngtA-6m3zQ&feature=related

Itagaki
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Anybody a part of USTA's Tennis on Campus club teams? Like your school actually takes part in the Tennis on Campus tourneys?

Yea, im apart of the Saint Marys College club team, but due to the fact that our stuff is extremely unorganized, the team has only been in one Tennis on Campus tournament since i joined, but im pretty sure we're going to the Stanford tournament November 14-15

skyzoo
11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
hey, these guys are terrible. UCLA club tennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QngtA-6m3zQ&feature=related
I'll agree with that

Fedace
11-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I'll agree with that

You have to remember that this is Club tennis and not Varsity tennis. Club tennis is supposed to be 4.0-5.0 level, so this is about what i expected. Actually these guys have pretty good Zip on the forehand side...:)

NickC
11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
I'll agree with that

Well, they aren't horrible, to be honest. Guy in white has a pretty big serve, or atleast it sounded like he did. Guy in blue had a decent forehand, not a ton of deph, but he hit it pretty cleanly and with a decent amount of pace. I mean, they aren't the UCLA varsity, but they're OK. A lot of guys who play #1 for clubs at, say, USC, Florida, Georgia, UCLA, Stanford, etc... could easily play D1 ball for any team that isn't top-25 nationally.

skyzoo
11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, they aren't horrible, to be honest. Guy in white has a pretty big serve, or atleast it sounded like he did. Guy in blue had a decent forehand, not a ton of deph, but he hit it pretty cleanly and with a decent amount of pace. I mean, they aren't the UCLA varsity, but they're OK. A lot of guys who play #1 for clubs at, say, USC, Florida, Georgia, UCLA, Stanford, etc... could easily play D1 ball for any team that isn't top-25 nationally.
definitly, I was just joking around. Those guys are solid and could play for a middle of the road d1 team

budkid
11-09-2009, 11:47 PM
USTA Norcal's Tennis on Campus @ Stanford this weekend(Nov.14-15). Come check it out if you are nearby!

allez_mike
11-11-2009, 12:51 PM

I'm playing #1 singles for Indiana University's travel team. We have quite a few tournaments/matches coming up, the biggest one taking place in Wisconsin-Madison. We're playing a tournament in Butler with us, Purdue, Ohio State, and Butler this weekend.

Itagaki
11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
USTA Norcal's Tennis on Campus @ Stanford this weekend(Nov.14-15). Come check it out if you are nearby!

you playing?

Toad
11-11-2009, 07:57 PM
We have quite a few tournaments/matches coming up, the biggest one taking place in Wisconsin-Madison.

Errr...? Wisconsin-Madison was last weekend...I was there. My team didn't do to good (only had one girl that was able to go). We were able to win a match the first day though...decent considering we started every match down 6 games.

The Vitamin L
11-12-2009, 01:04 AM
We just recently hosted a tournament at UC Davis last weekend. Had a very nice turnout with Berkeley, Stanford, Cal Poly, Chico, Santa Cruz, among others coming out for some great tennis.

I 2nd coming to check out sectionals at Stanford, it's gonna be a lot of fun! See ya there!

allez_mike
11-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Errr...? Wisconsin-Madison was last weekend...I was there. My team didn't do to good (only had one girl that was able to go). We were able to win a match the first day though...decent considering we started every match down 6 games.

Yea but there's also a regional that takes place there in February, it's a huge tournament

Toad
11-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Yea but there's also a regional that takes place there in February, it's a huge tournament

Ah, ok...I'm in Missouri Valley. I think we played in Springfield last year...not sure where it is this year (probably same place).

The Vitamin L
02-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Hey y'all, the UC Davis Tennis Club is hosting another team tennis tournament this Saturday! (Feb. 27th)

Here's hoping to good weather and great playing!

You can sign your team up at:
http://www.freewebs.com/ucdtennis/winterteamchampionship.htm