PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Recruiting Doubles

andyluong2001
09-25-2009, 11:36 PM
This might not be a good question and if it's bad I'm sorry. But does anyone know why TennisRecuiting.net does not do doubles rankings?

mrmo1115
09-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Apparently they only count singles, because if they have doubles it might be too much info to do?

I'm not sure.. but I wished they did, my T.R.N. would go way high with doubles included.

It also puzzles me because colleges always look for doubles players so why not include doubles in the T.R.N. if college coaches look at that.

One of the many flaws of T.R.N. :?

tennismom42
09-26-2009, 07:58 PM
This might not be a good question and if it's bad I'm sorry. But does anyone know why TennisRecuiting.net does not do doubles rankings? The better question would be "why doesn't the USTA have a doubles ranking list?" (Remember, it's the duplicate of the Singles ranking list. The USTA use to have a doubles ranking, but it went away about 4 years ago when they started the current Points per Round system.)

College recruiters rarely, if ever, recruit a pair of players based off their doubles' performance. Granted they want to win the doubles' point, but recruiting is not a reliable way to get it.

tennismom42
09-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Apparently they only count singles, because if they have doubles it might be too much info to do?

I'm not sure.. but I wished they did, my T.R.N. would go way high with doubles included.

It also puzzles me because colleges always look for doubles players so why not include doubles in the T.R.N. if college coaches look at that.

One of the many flaws of T.R.N. :? ???? One of the many flaws of the USTA system actually.

TRN is a measurement for recruiting strength, constricted to a graduation year.
USTA is ranking system that can easily be manipulated & abused due to disparity in income, domicile proximity, playing doubles to get singles points, etc.) It also utilizes an extremely broad age band. In other words, the USTA ranking system has a larger margin of error for predictability of wins. What coach would want to risk his paycheck for that?!

Sorry to inform you, but every coach I've ever talked to, they rely on the TRN system first, before the USTA ranking.

Wondertoy
09-26-2009, 11:18 PM
On the one hand, the USTA says that doubles are important. Then they don't used the doubles matches that they already have in their system which they used in the past! Then to confound the stupidity, they use singles rankings to seed doubles at nationals! That's why there are so many tough first round doubles match at KZoo due to improper seedings! Of course this makes no sense, but is typical of the USTA. Doubles are very important for development, teaching court sense, serve & volleying, positioning and focused return on serves. Many college matches end in 4-3 with the doubles the deciding point. If you are very good in doubles, it just gives the college coaches another reason to recruit you. Many of the top singles players are top doubles players. When they still had doubles ranking when I was in the 16s, I was #2 in the USTA National ranking which created a lot of interest from college coaches.

joshburger
09-27-2009, 08:08 AM
^ wow thats an impressive ranking. whats your name?

mrmo1115
09-27-2009, 09:17 AM
???? One of the many flaws of the USTA system actually.

TRN is a measurement for recruiting strength, constricted to a graduation year.
USTA is ranking system that can easily be manipulated & abused due to disparity in income, domicile proximity, playing doubles to get singles points, etc.) It also utilizes an extremely broad age band. In other words, the USTA ranking system has a larger margin of error for predictability of wins. What coach would want to risk his paycheck for that?!

Sorry to inform you, but every coach I've ever talked to, they rely on the TRN system first, before the USTA ranking.

I am just saying that not including doubles in the TRN rankings is a flaw.

ClarkC
09-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Dallas Oliver of TRN has explained on these boards a few times that they simply don't have the manpower to do a separate doubles ranking. They would like to, and it might happen someday.

Keep in mind that it is much harder to do a good head to head ranking in doubles. Points per round is not great but at least it works out pretty simply for doubles. In head to head, losses count against you. A TRN head to head doubles ranking might make the "You aren't good enough to play with me" problem even worse, as players who have to fear taking a doubles loss might opt to skip the doubles at that tournament.