PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas

dan minor jr
09-26-2009, 12:32 PM
My friend and her USTA team are coming to Las Vegas next week for the playoffs. Their question is- what effect does the altitude there have on the ball? Should they have their rackets strung higher or will the balls be high altitude ones? They are from Mid Atlantic section.

GS
09-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I remember the question of Vegas and altitude was discussed here last year. A local resident said that since it's only around 2000' there, they don't use high altitude balls. I've read that only when you're playing at 4000' or higher, you need em. I buy em for playing at Lake Tahoe (6400'). And I'm sure they use em in Denver (5300').
Someone else has to fill you in on string tensions.
Visit the new International Tennis Center in Vegas. You might run into Agassi there.

TBS
09-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I've lived in Las Vegas as a kid (the 80s), and later in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In Vegas, at the aforementioned 2000', we didn't use special altitude balls. In Albuquerque, at 5000+', we did.

Something I've noticed, just since Vegas was brought up here, is how few of the major hotels on the Strip seem to have tennis courts these days. My memory is that years ago nearly every major hotel there had some courts, often with a few lit for night play to give people chances to play who didn't want to brave the 115 degree summer daytime temperatures. Now most of the big hotel/resorts don't seem to have them, or if they do, they don't list them in the AAA book or on their website. Is my impression correct here?

sureshs
09-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Bally's has them

TBS
09-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Bally's is the old MGM (remember the 1981 fire?). They do have tennis courts, as do a few of the other older properties, such as the Riviera and the Hilton (just off the Strip). But, again, my impression is that the newer resorts, the ones built in the 90s and 00s, tend not to have courts, or if they do, they seem to be keeping them almost secret.

sureshs
09-28-2009, 07:14 AM
I think there are many tennis clubs in the area, just not in the Strip. I understand - when I played at Bally's, there was hardly anyone playing. The temperature is too high during the day, and most people are getting ready for the night scene in any case. The pools are probably much more appealing than tennis courts.