PDA

View Full Version : 2009 D'Novo/ITA Men's All-American Championships OCT 3-11.

Fedace
09-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Alex Clayton and Bradley Klahn straight into the Main Draw..... Way to go guys. This could become an all Stanford Final this year. some of the other threats are Nate Schnugg of Georgia and Jodan Rux of Baylor. This could be one of the more exciting 1st leg of the college Slam in years. + you can watch all the Action on LIVE CAM out of Tulsa.......:)

http://www.itatennis.com/Events/ITANationalChampionships/MensAllAmerican/2009_D_Novo_ITA_Men_s_All-American_Championships_Selections.htm

MAIN DRAW SINGLES
Jordan Rux Baylor Univ.
James Meredith Boise State Univ.
Pedro Zerbini California
Mihai Nichifor Columbia Univ.
Reid Carleton Duke Univ.
Jean-Yves Aubone Florida State Univ.
Clint Bowles Florida State Univ.
Guillermo Gomez Georgia Tech
Alexei Chijoff-Evans Harvard
Clay Donato North Carolina
Justin Kronauge Ohio State Univ.
Chase Buchanan (WC) Ohio State Univ.
Oleksandr Nedovyesov Oklahoma State Univ.
Bruno Rosa Rice Univ.
Alex Clayton Stanford Univ.
Bradley Klahn Stanford Univ.
Austin Krajicek Texas A&M Univ.
Raony Carvalho Texas Tech Univ.
Ashley Watling Tulsa
Matt Brooklyn UCLA
Saketh Myneni Univ. of Alabama
Jay Goldman Univ. of Arizona
David Simson Univ. of Denver
Carlos Cueto Univ. of Florida
Alex Lacroix Univ. of Florida
Nate Schnugg Univ. of Georgia
Jamie Hunt Univ. of Georgia
Javier Garrapiz Univ. of Georgia
Dennis Nevolo Univ. of Illinois
Austen Childs Univ. of Louisville
Jason Jung Univ. of Michigan
Kalle Norberg Univ. of Mississippi
Andrei Daescu Univ. of Oklahoma
Dean Jackson Univ. of San Diego
Robert Farah Univ. of Southern California
Steve Johnson Univ. of Southern California
John-Patrick Smith Univ. of Tennessee
Boris Conkic Univ. of Tennessee
Dimitar Kutrovsky Univ. of Texas at Austin
Sanam Singh Univ. of Virginia
Michael Shabaz Univ. of Virginia
Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan Univ. of Washington
Moritz Baumann Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison
Marek Michalicka Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison
Yoann Re Virginia Tech

Alternate List
Dennis Lajola Univ. of Hawaii, Manoa IN
Robin Fahgen SMU IN
Balazs Novak Ohio State Univ. IN
1 Ed Corrie Univ. of Texas at Austin
2 Lucas Jovita Univ. of South Florida
3 Jaak Poldma Univ. of Southern California
4 Houston Barrick Univ. of Virginia
5 Tobias Wernet Univ. of Minnesota, Twin Cities

OleNole
09-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Actual favorites include Farah, Nedovyesov, Smith, Schnugg, and arguably Gomez, who is ranked (IMO a very soft) 5 in the nation.

This will be an interesting barometer for Chase Buchanan's development. In his last college match he lost at 6th singles, yet I don't think it would be an overstatment to say he dominated at the Zoo this year. Which CB will we see? I could see him making a deep run or bombing out in the first round. To me, Chase's results might be the most interesting part of the All American.

ttbrowne
09-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Fedace, Thanks...I've been doing so much home improvement (deck, painting house, stain, and stuff) that I would have missed the D'Novo here in T-town. I read your post. Thanks! I'll try to get some pics and post 'em.

tennismom42
10-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Alex Clayton and Bradley Klahn straight into the Main Draw..... Way to go guys. This could become an all Stanford Final this year. some of the other threats are Nate Schnugg of Georgia and Jodan Rux of Baylor. This could be one of the more exciting 1st leg of the college Slam in years. + you can watch all the Action on LIVE CAM out of Tulsa.......:)

http://www.itatennis.com/Events/ITANationalChampionships/MensAllAmerican/2009_D_Novo_ITA_Men_s_All-American_Championships_Selections.htm

MAIN DRAW SINGLES
Jordan Rux Baylor Univ.
James Meredith Boise State Univ.
Pedro Zerbini California
Mihai Nichifor Columbia Univ.
Reid Carleton Duke Univ.
Jean-Yves Aubone Florida State Univ.
Clint Bowles Florida State Univ.
Guillermo Gomez Georgia Tech
Alexei Chijoff-Evans Harvard
Clay Donato North Carolina
Justin Kronauge Ohio State Univ.
Chase Buchanan (WC) Ohio State Univ.
Oleksandr Nedovyesov Oklahoma State Univ.
Bruno Rosa Rice Univ.
Alex Clayton Stanford Univ.
Bradley Klahn Stanford Univ.
Austin Krajicek Texas A&M Univ.
Raony Carvalho Texas Tech Univ.
Ashley Watling Tulsa
Matt Brooklyn UCLA
Saketh Myneni Univ. of Alabama
Jay Goldman Univ. of Arizona
David Simson Univ. of Denver
Carlos Cueto Univ. of Florida
Alex Lacroix Univ. of Florida
Nate Schnugg Univ. of Georgia
Jamie Hunt Univ. of Georgia
Javier Garrapiz Univ. of Georgia
Dennis Nevolo Univ. of Illinois
Austen Childs Univ. of Louisville
Jason Jung Univ. of Michigan
Kalle Norberg Univ. of Mississippi
Andrei Daescu Univ. of Oklahoma
Dean Jackson Univ. of San Diego
Robert Farah Univ. of Southern California
Steve Johnson Univ. of Southern California
John-Patrick Smith Univ. of Tennessee
Boris Conkic Univ. of Tennessee
Dimitar Kutrovsky Univ. of Texas at Austin
Sanam Singh Univ. of Virginia
Michael Shabaz Univ. of Virginia
Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan Univ. of Washington
Moritz Baumann Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison
Marek Michalicka Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison
Yoann Re Virginia Tech

Alternate List
Dennis Lajola Univ. of Hawaii, Manoa IN
Robin Fahgen SMU IN
Balazs Novak Ohio State Univ. IN
1 Ed Corrie Univ. of Texas at Austin
2 Lucas Jovita Univ. of South Florida
3 Jaak Poldma Univ. of Southern California
4 Houston Barrick Univ. of Virginia
5 Tobias Wernet Univ. of Minnesota, Twin Citiessoooo.... any updates? what's the drama du jour? Will there be video cams or a broadcast on ESPN or the Tennis Channel?

Fedace
10-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Fedace, Thanks...I've been doing so much home improvement (deck, painting house, stain, and stuff) that I would have missed the D'Novo here in T-town. I read your post. Thanks! I'll try to get some pics and post 'em.

Awsome..... Please get Lots of pics of Stanford players......OK ??

Fedace
10-02-2009, 08:06 AM
soooo.... any updates? what's the drama du jour? Will there be video cams or a broadcast on ESPN or the Tennis Channel?

The D'Novo ITA All-American Tennis Championships entails five days of qualifying events beginning with a 256-player pre-qualifying singles tournament, which takes place on Oct. 3-4. The pre-qualifying feeds into 128-player and 64-doubles team qualifying tournaments on Oct. 5-7, which then feeds into the 64-player, 32-doubles team main draws on Oct. 8-11.

Live stats, video and draw updates can be viewed at www.tulsahurricane.com.

Above is the press release from Tulsa athletic website. :)

Fedace
10-02-2009, 03:05 PM
New press release from Stanford.

ITA All-American Championships Up Next For Stanford Tennis
Six members of the men's team and four players from the women's squad will be in action when qualifying play begins Monday.

The Stanford men's and women's tennis teams kick off their respective 2009-10 campaigns next week at the ITA All-American Championships.

Oct. 2, 2009

STANFORD, Calif.- The Stanford men's and women's tennis teams kick off their respective 2009-10 campaigns next week at the ITA All-American Championships.

Six members of the men's squad will be in action beginning Monday when qualifying play gets underway at the D'Novo/ITA Men's All-American Championships in Tulsa, Oka. Three days of qualifying competition transition into the main draw, which starts Thursday, Oct. 8.

Junior Greg Hirshman (16-7, 10-4 duals in 2008-09), freshman Matt Kandath, sophomore Ryan Thacher (20-9, 19-7) and senior Richard Wire (26-10, 19-5) are entered in the qualifying singles draw, while Kandath and Wire will represent the Cardinal in the qualifying doubles draw.

Appearing in the main singles draw for Stanford will be junior Alex Clayton (31-12, 13-6) and sophomore Bradley Klahn (35-9, 30-5), while Klahn and Thacher team up in the main doubles draw. Clayton and Klahn have both earned top-15 national preseason rankings, with Clayton holding down the No. 7 spot and Klahn checking in at No. 15. The doubles team of Klahn and Thacher comes in ranked No. 8.

T10s747
10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Man. it looks like anyone can go, the prequalies are a 390 draw, then the qualies!

10isDad
10-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Man. it looks like anyone can go, the prequalies are a 390 draw, then the qualies!

From the press release:

The D'Novo ITA All-American Tennis Championships entails five days of qualifying events beginning with a 256-player pre-qualifying singles tournament, which takes place on Oct. 3-4. The pre-qualifying feeds into 128-player and 64-doubles team qualifying tournaments on Oct. 5-7, which then feeds into the 64-player, 32-doubles team main draws on Oct. 8-11.

ttbrowne
10-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Dammit...looks like rain is headed our way 4 days this week. Wonder how indoor play is gonna change things up?

tennismom42
10-03-2009, 08:26 PM

Sorry, but I have some stupid questions. I realize what this tournament is. I realize what the "all american" title is. What I don't understand is how does a college player get to that point? Obviously it can't be a freshman. I presume it can't be someone who recently finished college.

The real season is Jan - May, but the fall matches count for the player's rankings too, right?

Theoretically, could a coach have a very good player positioned low, win lots, and then have get the bragging rights of having an "all american" on the team? Surely not!

ttbrowne
10-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Cut right thru to the live play on the courts here:

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/livestats/m-tennis/TulsaTennis.html

tennismom42
10-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Dang! They moved it indoors. Points are short, many players look frustrated with their own performance indoors.

Fedace
10-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Dang! They moved it indoors. Points are short, many players look frustrated with their own performance indoors.

they are not even playing,, which court is the real match ??????????? looks like practice going on. and why are they frustrated.? It is so much EASIER to play Indoors with No wind and No sun.... if anything, timing must be even better:???:

Fedace
10-04-2009, 01:22 PM
and have you seen the Stanford guys ??? They must be there by now...

ClarkC
10-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Sorry, but I have some stupid questions. I realize what this tournament is. I realize what the "all american" title is. What I don't understand is how does a college player get to that point? Obviously it can't be a freshman. I presume it can't be someone who recently finished college.

The real season is Jan - May, but the fall matches count for the player's rankings too, right?

Theoretically, could a coach have a very good player positioned low, win lots, and then have get the bragging rights of having an "all american" on the team? Surely not!

If you make the round of 16 in singles or the quarterfinals in doubles, then I believe you get the ITA All-American title. I think you will find that only very good players make it this far.

Last year, Michael Venus of LSU was #20 going into the tournament and unseeded, but beat some seeds to make the final (including Alex Clayton of Stanford) and then beat Nedovyesov of Oklahoma State, the #1 seed, in the final.

tennismom42
10-04-2009, 01:40 PM
they are not even playing,, which court is the real match ??????????? looks like practice going on. and why are they frustrated.? It is so much EASIER to play Indoors with No wind and No sun.... if anything, timing must be even better:???:

the echos mess with players' heads, can't use the sun against your opponent, no wind advantage/disadvantage, sometimes the ball will fluff out more indoors if the humidity is captured indoors, (from the leaks or doors), lose the ball in the lights, limited on how high you can send up a flare as it'll hit the ceiling.... just to name a few. It's just something majorly different for those who haven't played a lot of indoors.

Fedace
10-04-2009, 03:15 PM
the echos mess with players' heads, can't use the sun against your opponent, no wind advantage/disadvantage, sometimes the ball will fluff out more indoors if the humidity is captured indoors, (from the leaks or doors), lose the ball in the lights, limited on how high you can send up a flare as it'll hit the ceiling.... just to name a few. It's just something majorly different for those who haven't played a lot of indoors.

Use the Sun against your opponent ?? could you tell me how to do that ?

tennismom42
10-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Use the Sun against your opponent ?? could you tell me how to do that ?almost all courts in the US are constructed with a north/south orientation, so that the sun & shadows creep evenly across both ends during the day. Duh!

Using the sun against your opponent?>>> When one's on the north end, the sun is in your face. If the ball is popped up a lot or flared up, you're likely to lose it in the sun. Furthermore, if it's a lit court, you might lose sight of the ball if you venture into the shadows of the light posts.

Wondertoy
10-04-2009, 04:47 PM
If you make the round of 16 in singles or the quarterfinals in doubles, then I believe you get the ITA All-American title. I think you will find that only very good players make it this far.

Last year, Michael Venus of LSU was #20 going into the tournament and unseeded, but beat some seeds to make the final (including Alex Clayton of Stanford) and then beat Nedovyesov of Oklahoma State, the #1 seed, in the final.

Is that for THIS tournament? I thought the All American label was earned for the NCAA year end finals tournament.

Fedace
10-04-2009, 07:07 PM
OK the Qualifying tournament begins Tomorrow......Here is the Draw.

http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ita_assets/pdf/D$!27Novo/2009+D$!27Novo/MenQSingles.10.4.09.pdf.pdf

GO GREG HIRSHMAN AND RICHARD WIRE. They should easily rip thru the qualifying draw. I hope the Weather is better than today...

Fedace
10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Richard Wire goes down in the 1st round of Qualifying ?? What is going on here ?

http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ita_assets/pdf/D$!27Novo/2009+D$!27Novo/MenQSingles.10.5.09.pdf.pdf

Fedace
10-05-2009, 06:04 PM
All right... Hirshman saves the day for Stanford. Way to go Greg, Good Luck in the next round.

Gregory Hirshman, Stanford Univ. Hirshman def Antonio Lastre, Mississippi State 6-2, 4-6, 6-3

Fedace
10-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Sad day for other boys of Stanford tennis. Must be early season jitters.

Stanford's three other entrants suffered first-round defeats. Senior Richard Wire fell 6-4, 6-0 to Oklahoma State's Anton Bobytskyi, sophomore Ryan Thacher was outlasted 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2 by Artem Ilyushin of Mississippi State and freshman Matt Kandath dropped a 6-1, 6-3 decision to Louisville's Viktor Maksimcuk.

T10s747
10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Are there many 2 handed both sides players in college men's?

ClarkC
10-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Sad day for other boys of Stanford tennis. Must be early season jitters.

Or, maybe Stanford is good but not great?

ClarkC
10-05-2009, 10:44 PM

Is that for THIS tournament? I thought the All American label was earned for the NCAA year end finals tournament.

Yes, it is the May tourney that I was thinking about:

A player must meet one of three criteria to earn ITA All-America singles honors: 1) top 16 seed in NCAA Singles Championship, or; 2) Reach round of 16 in NCAA Singles Championships, or; 3) Finish in the Top 20 of the final ITA Rankings.

Fedace
10-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Hirshman marches on in the Qualifying.....Way to go Greg.

Hirshman def Eliot Potvin, Georgia Tech 6-4, 7-6 (8)

Fedace
10-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Who the Heck is Belelu from Oklahoma ??? He upsets Daniel Nguyen from USC today in the Qualies. 7-5 6-4 or maybe Daniel isn't as good as we thought ??????????

Fedace
10-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Hirshman from Stanford goes down today in the final round of Qualifying. Nice try Greg. it was a tough match and tough opponent. You can hang your head high.

SuperDuy
10-07-2009, 05:54 PM
alex clayton lost today 6-0 6-1 to Belelu

Fedace
10-07-2009, 06:04 PM
alex clayton lost today 6-0 6-1 to Belelu

In your Dreams.......Alex Clayton will Win the tournament this year. Belelu is about 2 levels below alex...

ClarkC
10-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Hirshman from Stanford goes down today in the final round of Qualifying. Nice try Greg. it was a tough match and tough opponent. You can hang your head high.

Isn't the phrase hold your head high, which is the opposite of hanging your head? I am not sure what hang your head high means.

Fedace
10-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Isn't the phrase hold your head high, which is the opposite of hanging your head? I am not sure what hang your head high means.

Don't worry, it will be all Stanford final in the singles. Read that and wonder....:)

Joeyg
10-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Please pass the qualudes this way, dude.

ClarkC
10-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Which school got 4 players in singles, and three teams in doubles, into the main draw? Not Stanford. Unfortunately (or fortunately, since I like schools that pay attention to academics), Virginia decided not to make Jarmere Jenkins miss several more days of school to hang around just for doubles, so we scrambled our teams and only have two in the draw now.

Still, I think only Ohio State and USC can compete with Virginia's numbers in the main draw.

T10s747
10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Don't worry, it will be all Stanford final in the singles. Read that and wonder....:)

What happened to your star recruit, Kandath, going down in the 1st rd prequalie?

OleNole
10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Men's draw is out. http://www.itatennis.com/Events/ITANationalChampionships/MensAllAmerican.htm

Notes and Predictions:
There's alot of tough draws for seeds: Singh-Krajicek, Kronauge-Carleton, Schnugg-Boyijian, Aubone-Johnson, Klahn-Pavel, Myneni-Bowles, Donato-Rosa, and Cuhna-Jackson. I'd actually make Pavel, Rosa and Cuhna the favorites in their matches and I kind of expect Steve Johnson to beat J-Y Aubone too (see below).

Schnugg's quarter is a crapshoot, there's 10-12 guys out of 16 that have a legitimate shot of winning it. I like Steve Johnson, Henrique Cuhna, JP Smith and Robert Farah, with Farah to win it all. No idea on the top quarter, maybe Singh or Rux?

Fedace
10-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Hold Cow.. Robert Farah -- star player from USC is in trouble and in 3rd set.

Fedace
10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
On the other matter at hand... Bradley Klahn Cruises to the Victory in the 1st round... hardly broke a sweat...

ClarkC
10-08-2009, 05:44 PM

It looks like he won 6-1 in the third.

Fedace
10-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Is the cam working for you guys ??

ClarkC
10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Is the cam working for you guys ??

No, it stopped more than an hour ago.

ttbrowne
10-08-2009, 06:38 PM
We are having a helluva thunderstorm here in Tulsa. That could have something to do with the feed.

Fedace
10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
That Sucks ,,,,,i am missing the Alex Clayton match......he is up 1 sets to none now........... Make the Storm stop.........

Fedace
10-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Alex clayton wins in dominating fashion in the 1st round.....

ClarkC
10-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Here are the number of players remaining by school:

3: Virginia

2: North Carolina, Oklahoma, Stanford, USC, Wisconsin

1: Alabama, Arizona, Auburn, Baylor, Boise State, Duke, Florida, Georgia,
Kentucky, LSU, Michigan, MTSU, Ohio State, Tennessee,
Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA

Kudos to North Carolina, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin for getting 2 players each.

Could one school even get 3 of the final 16? Hmmm ....

T10s747
10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Buchanan loses 1st round. Just goes to show that college tennis is a step up from slam juniors.

T10s747
10-08-2009, 08:53 PM

What are you talking about, Farah won easily 6-3, 6-2.

Fedace
10-08-2009, 08:55 PM
What are you talking about, Farah won easily 6-3, 6-2.

Farah lost the 2nd set tiebreaker and had to go 3 sets....... while Clayton future pro won in straight sets,,,,easily:)

T10s747
10-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry, I was reading the draws wrong.

paulnw
10-08-2009, 11:59 PM
I was watching the Buchanan match. I thought he stood a chance, looked like he lost steam in the 2nd. True effort though.

ClarkC
10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Looks like the Fedace jinx has struck again. James Meredith of Boise State upset Alex Clayton in 3 sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Fedace
10-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Alex goes down today. It is Rust from not playing so much in the summer. but Bradley Klahn Moves on. Now Klahn is the new favorite to WIN it all............GO Bradley.
and Still alive in Doubles too.

ClarkC
10-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Of the 8 quarterfinalists, only one school has 2: defending national champions USC.

The other 6 are from Kentucky, Florida, Oklahoma, Michigan, Tulsa, and Tennessee.

Fedace
10-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Of the 8 quarterfinalists, only one school has 2: defending national champions USC.

The other 6 are from Kentucky, Florida, Oklahoma, Michigan, Tulsa, and Tennessee.

Bradley Klahn goes down to Steve Johnson today.....Thats ok,, we are still alive in Doubles....
Whats important is continuing to improve toward the NCAA tournament which is the real goal.....:)

SuperDuy
10-09-2009, 11:41 PM
na na na na, na na na na nooooo mooree staaaaannford!!

Fee
10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Klahn gets a wildcard into the Tiburon challenger as a consolation prize for losing. Guess it's good that their assistant coach used to be the pro in Tiburon.

Fedace
10-10-2009, 09:06 PM
YES YES.... Klahn and Thacher in the Semis of doubles. This powerful duo is quickly becoming a doubles combination made in heaven......

Fedace
10-11-2009, 08:14 AM
WAY to Go Thacher......up 2-0 now in the Semis of Doubles championships. What a GREAT lob.

http://www.itatennis.com/Events/ITANationalChampionships/MensAllAmerican.htm

Fedace
10-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Congrats to the Man from down under. JP SMITH wins both Singles and Doubles crown today at All-american championships and makes History. Only the 3rd Man to achieve this feat. One other being famous James Blake when he was playing for Harvard.

Does this guy have Pro potential ????????

Fedace
10-11-2009, 05:17 PM
PRESS release from ITA below :

Tennessee’s J.P. Smith Sweeps Oklahoma Schools to Capture the
D'Novo/ITA Men's All-American Singles and Doubles Championships

TULSA, Okla. – Tennessee’s John-Patrick Smith, ranked No. 2 in the preseason Campbell/ITA College Tennis Rankings achieved a feat that only two others have accomplished in the history of the ITA Men’s All-American Championships, by capturing the singles and doubles titles. He is joined by exclusive company in Mississippi State’s Daniel Courcol (1992) and Harvard’s James Blake (1998).

Fresh off a victory in one of the prime matchups of the tournament, which could also stand as one of the season’s best. Smith bounced back after dropping the first set to knock off third-ranked Robert Farah of USC, the 2007 D’Novo/ITA All-American Runner-Up.

While today’s singles final couldn’t exactly be termed as a David vs. Goliath matchup, Smith, the 2008 NCAA Championship Runner-Up, who already has one singles title under his belt this year by winning the first flight of the UVA Plus One Invitational, has been in many big matches in his young college career. Oklahoma’s Andrei Daescu, a senior turning into a rising star under the tutelage of first year Head Coach John Roddick, brother of Andy Roddick, reached his first major collegiate championship final.

Smith appeared to be in championship form from the get-go, opening up by winning the first two games before Daescu found his groove, eventually sending the first set into a tie-break, where Smith was able to outlast Daescu in front of the Sooner State home crowd.

It was Andrei who came out firing in the second set, claiming the first two games. At that point, despite the cold drizzly weather, J.P. began to start warming up, winning six of the next seven games to claim the set, match and singles title.

“He competes very hard and hits the ball very well so I needed to be on my game right away to get the win,” Smith said. “Sticking with my strengths got me through it today so I’m happy.”

In the first doubles match, Smith and Boris Conkic, who had not previously played together as a team prior to the D’Novo/ITA All-American Championships, made quick work of the highest-remaining doubles team, defeating the No. 3 seeded Wisconsin team of Moritz Baumann and Marek Michalicka, 8-3.

With time working against them, the Vols doubles team stayed on the court for the doubles finals which pitted the tournament’s No. 2 singles player versus the No. 1 singles player in Oklahoma’s State’s Oleksandr Nedovyesov, the 2009 Campbell/ITA National Player of the Year. On a day in which nothing seemed to slow down the resilient Australian, he and Conkic were able to put away the Cowboy duo, 8-4. The win pushed his total two-day match tally at six matches.

“Playing so much tennis definitely takes it out of you both physically and mentally,” Smith said. “The main thing I try to do is keep relaxed and do a lot to look after my body so I can compete at such a high level.”

In consolation play, the Duke team of Reid Carleton and highly-touted freshman Henrique Cunha were able brush off the Childs brothers of Louisville to capture the doubles consolation title Saturday night while Robin Fahgen of SMU put the clamps on sixth-seeded Dimitar Kutrovski, 6-2, 7-5, claiming the consolation singles championships.

For complete results and event information, visit www.itatennis.com.

ChipNCharge
10-12-2009, 06:39 AM
JP Smith is obviously a very good college player, but goodness, he is NOT impressive physically. He looks like Gomer Pyle with a pot belly.

AndrewD
10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
JP Smith is obviously a very good college player, but goodness, he is NOT impressive physically. He looks like Gomer Pyle with a pot belly.

Anyone who can serve-volley effectively at that level IS a good athlete and has to be impressive physically (he doesn't just coast by running side to side) even if you don't know how to judge it.

Fedace
10-13-2009, 07:52 AM

Don't let the look fool you. what about Santoro ? what about Kuerten ? what about gille Simon ? these guys look like they will be blown over by 20 MPH wind.....:)