PDA

View Full Version : Coaching requirements question?

shermann
09-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Hello, I'm a former division 1 college tennis player looking for a job either as head coach of a team or assistant coach of a larger program. Here is the catch I only have an associate's degree. However, it was a very difficult specific technical degree and going back for a bachelors right now would be fiscally foolish.

Do I absolutely need a bachelors degree to be able to coach? If I look hard enough do you think I could find a program that would find me hireable with just the degree I currently have?

Any here that have some of knowledge of this I would love to hear from you, thanks.

goran_ace
09-30-2009, 07:34 AM
You don't need a degree to be able to coach, they will mainly look at your previous playing/coaching experience. You would be better off working as a club pro and getting certified - keeping in mind that there are not a lot of full-time coaching jobs out there for tennis and you would likely have to start off as an unpaid assistant somewhere and then maybe you can move up to a part-time coach.

10isDad
09-30-2009, 08:27 AM
You don't need a degree to be able to coach...

I believe to be a head coach at the D-1 level (do not know about other levels) you must have a 4-year college degree. I could be mistaken, however I've heard that's why the Aussie former asst coach at ASU didn't take any head coach positions after they dissolved the program.

goran_ace
09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Not sure if that's a written rule or just what the market dictates. Most schools will also look for a master's degree on top of the bachelor's - so just so you know what you're up against. I have a couple friends from back in the day who are now college coaches and they all bounced around assistant coaching/graduate assistant gigs while getting a master's degree (education, exercise science, etc) before landing a head coach position.

shermann
09-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I was/am a head tennis pro at a pretty big club for 5 years. I am pretty certain that you need a 4 year degree. I assume if someone like Pete Sampras was applying for a job, he'd get it with no degree. Basically I was just wondering if exceptions existed.

downthewall
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
most pros i know don't have a degree. i think it all depends on the club. for colleges might be a different story

Rob_C
09-30-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty sure I've read that the minimum requirements for a coaching job at a 4 yr school, is to either have played tennis at a a 4 yr school, or to have had a pro ranking, ATP/WTA.

Lindsay
10-01-2009, 06:16 AM
I believe to be a head coach at the D-1 level (do not know about other levels) you must have a 4-year college degree. I could be mistaken, however I've heard that's why the Aussie former asst coach at ASU didn't take any head coach positions after they dissolved the program.

You don't necessarily have to have one. My college coach didn't, so exceptions exist, but she was 25 in the world. Most schools with heavily weighted academic programs will require it.

Bash and Crash
10-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Most college's want a degree for Head coach position, but will make exception for big name players, some will allow asst. coaches to not have degree but most still like them to have degree also. Even down to junior college level they seem to need Bachelor's degree. Also you will need to be fully knowledgeable in NCAA rules and reg. and I think there is a certification test for that also.