PDA

View Full Version : USTA listening?

papatenis
09-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm relatively new to TT, but have noticed many critical threads and postings about the USTA (regarding junior tennis).

Are there any USTA officials on TT that can address issues brought
up on TT?

If the USTA isn't listening, tell us how you made contact with an USTA official and if you're concerns were acted on or given a satisfactory explanation.

woodrow1029
09-29-2009, 08:46 AM
You know I am an official. Tell me what your concerns are. If they are all about how officials don't keep an ongoing record of how each kid that your child plays against behaves, that is not going to change.

papatenis
09-29-2009, 08:52 AM
If they are all about how officials don't keep an ongoing record of how each kid that your child plays against behaves, that is not going to change.

What's that about???

How come they don't keep doubles rankings anymore, when they insist that it's important for juniors to play doubles?

woodrow1029
09-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Actually there is a thread that you can raise questions for an official.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=261297&highlight=woodrow1029

But I don't really know much about the administrative side of the USTA as in the question you just asked about doubles rankings. It's more for on court stuff.

papatenis
09-29-2009, 09:13 AM
This thread is for the administrative/policy making side of the USTA pertaining to junior tennis.

SoCal10s
09-29-2009, 09:15 AM
What's that about???

How come they don't keep doubles rankings anymore, when they insist that it's important for juniors to play doubles?

it's tied into points ranking.. USTA gives you points for playing doubles and the total points accumulate combined with singles to give you a total ranking..

I know you're from SoCal just keep watching the new system(points per round) if you're unhappy about rankings,this coming year is gonna the worse ever.. just get your girl to play as many tournament she can and get to later rounds,she'll be #1 in SoCal.. but she'll have a nice burn out later...

papatenis
09-29-2009, 09:22 AM
it's tied into points ranking.. USTA gives you points for playing doubles and the total points accumulate combined with singles to give you a total ranking..

I know you're from SoCal just keep watching the new system(points per round) if you're unhappy about rankings,this coming year is gonna the worse ever.. just get your girl to play as many tournament she can and get to later rounds,she'll be #1 in SoCal.. but she'll have a nice burn out later...

I've seen the new points per round rankings. WHAT A JOKE! One girl (18 div.) ranked in the high 60's with old system is now ranked in low teens with points per round rankings.
Now you'll see kids playing all these small tournaments just to get points.
When will USTA learn? Tennis Recruiting has the most accurate rankings now.
I think everybody will go to TR to check rankings.

SoCal10s
09-29-2009, 09:43 AM
I've seen the new points per round rankings. WHAT A JOKE! One girl (18 div.) ranked in the high 60's with old system is now ranked in low teens with points per round rankings.
When will USTA learn? Tennis Recruiting has the most accurate rankings now.
I think everybody will go to TR to check rankings.

yeah but as I remembered you objected one of the posters here who objected to "block seeding"..

TR is not that accurate either.. it's a national system and a lot of good players just don't have the expense to travel... I know one kid ended up in a west coast school because he could travel to the Nats ,thus lost his chances to go to a really big time D1 ,but his game is D1 material..

papatenis
09-29-2009, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=SoCal10s;3984244]yeah but as I remembered you objected one of the posters here who objected to "block seeding".. QUOTE]

My objections were that block seeding only helped the kids that played alot of tournaments. They were either home schooled or attended a academy, who had the time and money to play ITF, nat'l and USTA pro circuit tournaments.

10isDad
09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
When will USTA learn?

When will y'all learn that what you've stated is somewhat of a generalization. You're probably correct that you'll see lower- to mid-ranked kids "playing all these small tournaments". You're not going to see that many very highly ranked players playing small events, because the level of these smaller tournaments is such that these players can't get points for them unless they win the event - sometimes not even if they win.

Each section is different in terms of the various tournament levels, but my kid, who's ranked in the mid-teens of his section, doesn't play small tournaments. Even if he makes it to the finals, he generally won't get points for the event unless there are other highly ranked people that he can beat in order to get significant win points. So, the only thing he gains is match experience - which he generally doesn't need against weaker fields.

As an example, the level 6 events in the Southwest are worth 220 SW points to the winner, plus significant win points. The guys in the top 10 wouldn't get any points even if they won the event, because the event doesn't have enough points to qualify for one of the "best 6" events that count for rankings. Generally, in the SW you won't see hardly anybody in the top 30 playing smaller events in their own age group. They will only play them if they're 'playing up' & trying to get a ranking in a higher age division.