PDA

View Full Version : Barricade V - break-in

jaykay
09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
how long is the typical break-in period for a Barricade V? what needs to be done to break it in?

i find it stiff and uncomfortable. should i return it and go for something else, or should i persist?

USERNAME
09-29-2009, 08:58 PM
how long is the typical break-in period for a Barricade V? what needs to be done to break it in?

i find it stiff and uncomfortable. should i return it and go for something else, or should i persist?

It usually takes me 2-4 hours of on court time to get em feelin comfy.

jaykay
09-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks, username.

The top of my left foot hurts (just below the tongue), so does the midfoot of my left foot. Shoe feels stiff overall and high on the heel (!).

Don't really know whether I should give up and replace it, or persist with it and work through the break-in phase (in which case I can't return it)...

any other opinions around on this matter?

jaykay
09-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I miss my Prince T9 Roadster. I bought 2 pairs before I moved to Australia (from the US) and have nearly worn through both of them. FYI, I predominantly play on en tout cas (red clay).

ScoopsHaaganDazs
09-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Id say 3 weeks if you just wear it to school everyday with some walking involved. Probably about 4-5 hours of tennis to break them. Then after like 2 weeks of playing(maybe like 20 hours), they should be broken in very nicely to your foot shape.

JavierLW
09-30-2009, 05:26 AM

Ive been thru 5 pairs of these now.

The system Ive used is that's actually worked best so far is:

1) I take the laces completely out and put them back in so the shoe is absolutely comfortable. Otherwise different shoes may not feel the same depending on how they laced it up. I noticed this because the first pair I ever bought was very uncomfortable and the second pair was fine.

2) I walk about 6 miles in them. (not all at once)

3) I play, and they actually feel fine.

Otherwise, if I walk around for maybe only 2 or 4 miles, they seem to hurt the first or second time I play on the court, but they feel fine after that.

Spatula
09-30-2009, 05:31 AM
I wear them around the house, walking the dog, doing errands for about 3-5 hours prior to on court playing. Right out of the box they would kill my feet. After the 3-5 hours however they are perfect.

Nike is the only tennis shoe I can hit the courts with straight out of the box and be fine in. However the support I feel is much better from Adidas.

HitItHarder
09-30-2009, 05:35 AM
Ive been thru 5 pairs of these now.

1) I take the laces completely out and put them back in so the shoe is absolutely comfortable. Otherwise different shoes may not feel the same depending on how they laced it up. I noticed this because the first pair I ever bought was very uncomfortable and the second pair was fine.

Javier makes a great point about the laces. I do the same thing. These shoes seem be a little more narrow than other shoes I have tried so relacing can really help the way it feels.

My Barricades Vs typically feel broken in after I play with them twice. I try not to play in them for more than 2 hours at a time until they are broken in.

Also, I will say some of my friends with wider feet have simply found they can't wear Barricade Vs.

jimwh
09-30-2009, 06:43 AM
I also wore mine around the house for two weeks. Went to the courts after that and they were fine. Great shoes by the way.

jaykay
09-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks, all. This is very useful. I truly appreciate the advice.

Cheers.

shogun90
09-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I think it was between 4 - 6 hours of tennis before they started to feel broken in.

leafscat
10-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Javier makes a great point about the laces. I do the same thing. These shoes seem be a little more narrow than other shoes I have tried so relacing can really help the way it feels.

My Barricades Vs typically feel broken in after I play with them twice. I try not to play in them for more than 2 hours at a time until they are broken in.

Also, I will say some of my friends with wider feet have simply found they can't wear Barricade Vs.
Could you please expand on how you relace the shoe? Do you use the same pattern or something different?

Thanks

sando
10-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks, username.

The top of my left foot hurts (just below the tongue), so does the midfoot of my left foot. Shoe feels stiff overall and high on the heel (!).

Don't really know whether I should give up and replace it, or persist with it and work through the break-in phase (in which case I can't return it)...

any other opinions around on this matter?

exactly the same as me !!!

top of left foot was hurting

felt a bit more comfortable after finishing 2 sets

but still a bit awkward. makes me feel super tall and im already 6ft 3'.. hopefully get use to them more soon

Mazilla2219
10-01-2009, 08:51 AM
I just follow this guide (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html) for lacing. Had to use the first technique for the Gel Resolutions.

sando
10-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I just follow this guide (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html) for lacing. Had to use the first technique for the Gel Resolutions.

wow thats really interesting.. never knew there was so many ways to tie shoes :)

leafscat
10-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Thanks! I'll try this out tonight.

SuperDuy
10-01-2009, 12:01 PM
haha for me, as soon as i got them I wore em on court. were fine lol

leafscat
10-02-2009, 05:52 AM

I found the heel slipping a little bit on the Barricade V's. Tried the lacing method to fix that in your guide. It worked perfectly, shoes felt great. Thanks for your help.

iTennis
10-04-2009, 07:19 AM
I start playing with new shoes right out of the box, typically takes within 1 session (2 hours or so) to break them in. Gone through 4 pairs of BV, and initial break-in could be a bit painful in the arch and upper foot, but still tolerable for me and every time it got easier.

JavierLW
10-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Could you please expand on how you relace the shoe? Do you use the same pattern or something different?

Thanks

I use lace locking: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

(the high lace lock method)

Mostly though the purpose of relacing them is to make sure they go thru all the holes at the same lengths so all the shoes fit exactly the same.

Once I found one that fit nice, I actually measured the distance between all of the holes and then when I buy a new BV I make sure it matches.

That's a BIG reason why I think some people will buy a new pair or buy a miAdidas pair and all the sudden they will complain about how some part near the upper toe will pinch or will be uncomfortable. (for me it was the first pair, right shoe, left upper side of the shoe)

mozzer
10-04-2009, 09:05 AM
They felt fine first time i worn them, but were amazing after about 3 hours or training sessions.

phishua
10-06-2009, 10:33 AM
I wear them around the house, walking the dog, doing errands for about 3-5 hours prior to on court playing. Right out of the box they would kill my feet. After the 3-5 hours however they are perfect.

That sounds like what I did. They felt fine after that.

killer89
10-07-2009, 06:36 PM
I've gone through somewhere close to 10 pairs of Barricade Vs. I keep buying them because they've never caused an injury and Adidas stands behind their warranty.

Honestly, I just throw them on and play. The first hour is a little tight, but it softens up and feels amazing within a few hours.

That being said, my only gripe is that they don't last as long as I would like. Depending on the season and how much tennis I play, I've had a set last anywhere from 6 days to 4 weeks. Because of this, I don't see any reason to waste time breaking them in outside of tennis use. I'm trying to get as much court time as I can out of them. :|