PDA

View Full Version : Tennis and growth ?

beckstennis
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi all , I,m a dad to a girl of 10 & 1/2 and she plays a lot of tennis ( about 12 hours per week ) at a high performance academy , she works UNBELIEVABLY hard and as a dad I was concerned what Impact this could have on her growth height & frame wise , is this too much , could her growth be affected by this ?
Thanks for the time and replies .
Regards

SoCal10s
09-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I know kids who goes to those high performance academies who do a lot of tennis, all of them tend to get hurt and stay hurt all the time,especially the girls...the injuries move to different places and it's hard for them to stay 100% healthy.. this is her growing years and if she loads up on a lot of physical work,you will have long term problems... make sure she does a lot of stretching warm-up and cool down exercise ... good luck..

papatenis
09-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Your pediatrician should be able to predict how tall and what frame size your daughter will become. Genetically, she is already predetermined to what size she will be as an adult, though stress and nutrition will have a small affect on her. Good luck!

TennisCoachFLA
09-30-2009, 07:17 PM
No, it will have zero effect on her growth. As she is approaching puberty, read up on the "female athlete triad" though to be aware of any possible issues she may face.

Like SoCal said, the real concern is injuries, especially the joints and back. Proper flexibility and balanced strength training is critical.

TennisNinja
09-30-2009, 09:14 PM
I grew a bunch and had problems with my elbow, but now that I'm not growing as much I really don't have as big of an issue with my arm anymore. Same thing with my friend and his knees.

You see a bunch of academy players and pros and they've all got a great physical build.

beckstennis
10-01-2009, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the replies , the reason I ask is that my wife is 6.1ft & i,M 6ft and I was concerned that all the hard work may impact my daughters growth , however it sounds like I have nothing to worry about there and should just focus on future injury prevention ?
Hopefully that will be fine as her coaches already have a very stuctured program of core work and stretching etc exercises for her .
Kind regards

li0scc0
10-01-2009, 05:34 AM
Hi all , I,m a dad to a girl of 10 & 1/2 and she plays a lot of tennis ( about 12 hours per week ) at a high performance academy , she works UNBELIEVABLY hard and as a dad I was concerned what Impact this could have on her growth height & frame wise , is this too much , could her growth be affected by this ?
Thanks for the time and replies .
Regards

The only growth problems she could encounter would be if she was highly undernourished and/or (like some gymnasts of the past) was given certain drugs that stunt growth. Since neither is likely the case, she should be fine :-)

mcutilize
10-01-2009, 04:50 PM
wouldnt all the stretching at a high performance academy make them grow a lil taller than they should be?

TennisCoachFLA
10-01-2009, 07:21 PM
wouldnt all the stretching at a high performance academy make them grow a lil taller than they should be?

No, the type of stretching he is referring to won't make her grow taller.....he is talking about typical flexibility work.

I doubt they are hanging her by her arms and attaching weights to her feet!!

JW10S
10-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Professional players on both the Men's and Women's tours keep getting taller all the time. Most, if not all of the Top 100, spent more time doing on and off court training than your daughter--their growth was not stunted. Haven't you heard? Excercise is GOOD for you.

coloskier
10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies , the reason I ask is that my wife is 6.1ft & i,M 6ft and I was concerned that all the hard work may impact my daughters growth , however it sounds like I have nothing to worry about there and should just focus on future injury prevention ?
Hopefully that will be fine as her coaches already have a very stuctured program of core work and stretching etc exercises for her .
Kind regards

Look at Maria Sharapova. She grew almost 4 inches from 16-18 years while playing a pro schedule and training like a pro.

SuperDuy
10-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Tennis shouldn't prevent height growth. Them ore you train/play the more HGH your body produces.