PDA

View Full Version : Need to Get My Ranking UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roddickslammer
10-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Hi, I am fourteen years old and I live in VA. I would like to get my ranking up so I can get a scholarship into a academy. What tournaments should I play to get my ranking up. I am not sure how the whole system works so could you please tell me what tournaments I need to play to get myself from 180 in my section to top 10 and have a good national ranking. I understand that to get there I need to do well in the tornaments, but I think I can do it if I just know what to play in... I want to eventually get a good enough ranking to get into Kalamazoo....Thanks!

tennismom42
10-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi, I am fourteen years old and I live in VA. I would like to get my ranking up so I can get a scholarship into a academy. What tournaments should I play to get my ranking up. I am not sure how the whole system works so could you please tell me what tournaments I need to play to get myself from 180 in my section to top 10 and have a good national ranking. I understand that to get there I need to do well in the tornaments, but I think I can do it if I just know what to play in... I want to eventually get a good enough ranking to get into Kalamazoo....Thanks! You said you want to get your ranking up so you can get a scholarship into an academy??? Did you mean, "into a college?" Either way, some academies do give reduced pricing to higher ranked students.

Be careful with the word "scholarship." Many foolishly think a scholarship is a free ticket and it's not. It will help, but it will not cover all expenses. Pretty much, you may spend (your parents may spend) the same amount of just getting you to the point of getting the scholarship. But it is a great journey.

Are you a boy or girl? There are more scholarships for girls than boys.

I suggest that you call your state (aka district) and sectional junior development person. Ask them how the rankings work for your section. They will guide you. Each section has different rules, but generally the tournaments are different levels (1-7) within the section and nationally.

Always play doubles too -- this is very important.

coloskier
10-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Play as many upper level USTA tourneys that you can. Sectionals, National Opens, etc. You must accumulate as many points as possible. If you can get into the top 50 (or maybe now it is 30) in the country, then academies will start offering free rides, but not until that time. Your parents will still have to pay for tournament travel, entry fees, etc, unless you make the top 5, then the USTA might start covering some of your fees if you show a lot of promise. But there really isn't that much free money going around unless you are in the top 5.

beast22
10-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey, I play is MAS too but i live in MD. Are you Stefan Young?

ClarkC
10-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Tournaments in the Mid-Atlantic range from L1 (called Champs or Championships in most sections) to L2 (Challengers) to L3, L4, L5. If you are #180 in the Mid-Atlantic then you are not able to win an L5 at the moment. So, it is a little odd to be asking what tournaments you should enter, as if choice of tournaments will produce ranking points.

You need to get someone knowledgeable to analyze your game and give you a plan of what to work on, starting with the most fundamental improvements that you need. Concentrate on improving your game and results will follow. Your game needs improvement, not your ranking. Let the ranking be a by-product of your improvements.

DownTheLine
10-02-2009, 04:17 PM
180 to top 10? WOWZERS!

roddickslammer
10-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Tournaments in the Mid-Atlantic range from L1 (called Champs or Championships in most sections) to L2 (Challengers) to L3, L4, L5. If you are #180 in the Mid-Atlantic then you are not able to win an L5 at the moment. So, it is a little odd to be asking what tournaments you should enter, as if choice of tournaments will produce ranking points.

You need to get someone knowledgeable to analyze your game and give you a plan of what to work on, starting with the most fundamental improvements that you need. Concentrate on improving your game and results will follow. Your game needs improvement, not your ranking. Let the ranking be a by-product of your improvements.

I am only 180 because I have not played many tournies yet............

T10s747
10-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Ok, get this book, "Pressure Tennis" by Paul Wardlaw and follow it religiously. If you have some talent and adhere to the Warlaw Directionals, you will be top 100 in no time. It is as simple as that. Junior tennis is cookbook easy.

ClarkC
10-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I am only 180 because I have not played many tournies yet............

If you are 180, you have not been winning tourneys, in addition to not playing many. My response was not to belittle you, but just to get you to be realistic and work on your game, not on your ranking. Believe me, you have plenty to work on in your game right now, and choosing which tournaments to enter is the least of your concerns.