PDA

View Full Version : How did this guy make DI?

DownTheLine
10-02-2009, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpiiCQpreFE&NR=1

Does anyone else think Tommy Tu isn't that good for him to be playing DI tennis?

OHBH
10-02-2009, 10:37 PM
He made it to D1 didn't he? He apparently is good enough. No need to hate on him just because you don't like his style of play.

DownTheLine
10-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I am not hating on his style of play. I am just wondering how did he make it to DI making stupid mistakes and not even being close to the caliber of other players

jamauss
10-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Dude, USF might be a D1 school, but I doubt it gets the level of tennis players that a USC (or UCLA/Stanford/Cal for that matter) gets. That guy Tu just doesn't appear to have any big weapons and he played a guy that has solid strokes and an attacking style of play. Tu Losing 2 & 3 is about what I'd expect to see.

Bud
10-03-2009, 12:05 AM

Does anyone else think Tommy Tu isn't that good for him to be playing DI tennis?

I think he looks like a D1 player. I'm betting he'd whip the pants off you love and love.

The guy who beat him - Bradley Klahn (who seemed quite a bit better) was forcing many errors and thus Tu didn't look as good as he actually is. Tu's 2HBH is solid as a rock... and his forehand/serve are also decent. The other guy just simply out-powered him... again, forcing many of the errors and the 'substandard' play you observed.

Bud
10-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Here's the same guy playing Jankovic at the Bank of the West Classic

This is Stanford's #1 having his *** handed to him by a WTA woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2-K1NsbuPA

He's ranked #52 nationally... this should answer any questions about how an elite WTA player stacks up against a top D1 college player :oops:

Knightmace
10-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Jankovic looks like a beast ni that videwo, owned him

Bud
10-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Jankovic looks like a beast ni that videwo, owned him

Yeah... and just imagine she probably wasn't giving it 100% while the college guy was.

AndrewD
10-03-2009, 01:00 AM

I think that this thread suggests you aren't good enough to be posting on the message board.

10isDad
10-03-2009, 04:34 AM
This player that DTL thinks isn't good enough for D-I had an overall winning record throughout his college career ending up 56-34 in duals and 74-45 overall. His last 2 years at school he played #1 going 26-17. Pretty darned respectable...

DownTheLine
10-03-2009, 07:19 AM

He's ranked #52 nationally... this should answer any questions about how an elite WTA player stacks up against a top D1 college player :oops:

No that's there #2. Alex Clayton is the #1. You guys misunderstood. I am not calling him bad, I am just saying it seems like he is no where near a DI tennis player. He gave Brad way to many short balls and Tu didn't force almost any errors except for maybe 3 the other 2 or so were unforced.

I've seen many DI, DII, and DIII players and IMO he should be DII.

Fedace
10-03-2009, 07:30 AM

Watch it carefully. Bradley was just playing around with her, Sparring....making her feel good if you will...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2-K1NsbuPA&NR=1

Fedace
10-03-2009, 07:33 AM

Don't knock Tommy. he is a very good player. just ran into the superior D1 player, that is all. This happens more often than you think... Top 10 D1 player can blow away another D1 player ranked outside of 100.

For example, if Alex Clayton played Greg Hirshman, he would beat him with score like 6-2 6-2. and greg is a top 100 player in D1.:)

DownTheLine
10-03-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm not calling him bad. He's a good play but not compared to DI.

goober
10-03-2009, 08:24 AM
How can you say this guy is not D1?

His career record at USF is 58-35 in singles against other D1 players. The guy is the only 2nd player ever from USF (lower level D1) to have a top #100 nationally ranking. Klahn is just a better player than him. Here's a deep thought: When you play somebody a lot better than you, they make you look bad.

DownTheLine
10-03-2009, 08:32 AM
How can you say this guy is not D1?

His career record at USF is 58-35 in singles against other D1 players. The guy is the only 2nd player ever from USF (lower level D1) to have a top #100 nationally ranking. Klahn is just a better player than him. Here's a deep thought: When you play somebody a lot better than you, they make you look bad.

Your right. Delete Thread!

goober
10-03-2009, 08:37 AM
No that's there #2. Alex Clayton is the #1. You guys misunderstood. I am not calling him bad, I am just saying it seems like he is no where near a DI tennis player. He gave Brad way to many short balls and Tu didn't force almost any errors except for maybe 3 the other 2 or so were unforced.

Here's some fun facts for you for this player you think should be D2

1. West Region Farnsworth/ITA Senior Player of the Year,
2. Career high national ranking in D1 #95 in singles , #87 in doubles
3. Split sets with Pepperdine's #1 ranked in the top 10 nationally in a 2008 match

Yeah he sucks, he should have moved down to D2. USF wasted their scholie on him letting play in their #1 spot. :roll:

Bud
10-03-2009, 02:26 PM

The video stated #1 singles.

Bud
10-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Watch it carefully. Bradley was just playing around with her, Sparring....making her feel good if you will...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2-K1NsbuPA&NR=1

Lol! She had him running around the court like a jackrabbit. He was missing so many balls, he looked like a noob out there, playing her.

Email him and ask him how good she actually was... and what the score was between them (I'd be interested to hear it). I've seen his videos and I've seen Jankovic play... she can and did wipe the floor with him.

Based on that video, she'd have beaten him 6-0, 6-0.

LafayetteHitter
10-03-2009, 02:36 PM

Can you post one of your videos so we can compare your strokes to his?

coyfish
10-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Hes definately a D1 player. Khlan is one of the top players in the country. Hard to look good when your getting worked.

Bud
10-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Hes definately a D1 player. Khlan is one of the top players in the country. Hard to look good when your getting worked.

Some people don't seem to understand that when you're playing someone who is a level above you... they can make you look pretty silly.

Look what Jankovic did to Klahn in that video I posted earlier. I think he got 1 point in the entire clip... and that was off a Jankovic UE (long ball).

gokou703
10-03-2009, 04:38 PM
He's a local guy in the area. His level of play is very similar to recent players on USF's squad. I see him play on a regular basis. He's made a couple 5.0 level players in the area look like garbage. It's a not a mistake he's good enough for USF. Khlan is a VERY high level player. It's not fair that you've posted an edited video on a public forum and put him on blast.

SuperDuy
10-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Whos the best D1 player? PLZ ANSWER

DownTheLine
10-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Lol! She had him running around the court like a jackrabbit. He was missing so many balls, he looked like a noob out there, playing her.

Email him and ask him how good she actually was... and what the score was between them (I'd be interested to hear it). I've seen his videos and I've seen Jankovic play... she can and did wipe the floor with him.

Based on that video, she'd have beaten him 6-0, 6-0.

He was kidding. I think. Brad is there #2 look it up.

DownTheLine
10-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Whos the best D1 player? PLZ ANSWER

Was Devin Brittion.

DownTheLine
10-03-2009, 05:28 PM
He's a local guy in the area. His level of play is very similar to recent players on USF's squad. I see him play on a regular basis. He's made a couple 5.0 level players in the area look like garbage. It's a not a mistake he's good enough for USF. Khlan is a VERY high level player. It's not fair that you've posted an edited video on a public forum and put him on blast.

It showed every point for what 7 games?

DownTheLine
10-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Here's some fun facts for you for this player you think should be D2

1. West Region Farnsworth/ITA Senior Player of the Year,
2. Career high national ranking in D1 #95 in singles , #87 in doubles
3. Split sets with Pepperdine's #1 ranked in the top 10 nationally in a 2008 match

Yeah he sucks, he should have moved down to D2. USF wasted their scholie on him letting play in their #1 spot. :roll:

Have you ever seen Tony Larson? He's on this board by the name of Tonlars. He would have worked this guy and he played DII.

http://vimeo.com/3231513

http://vimeo.com/3231428

DownTheLine
10-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Can you post one of your videos so we can compare your strokes to his?

I will do that. I never said I was close to DI.

Fedace
10-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Oh and don't forget that it was very windy that day...

gokou703
10-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I am not hating on his style of play. I am just wondering how did he make it to DI making stupid mistakes and not even being close to the caliber of other players

Your whole argument is USELESS. He has a winning record 52-33.

You can critique the video all you want. You can drop other players' names etc...but Tommy is above .500 so your points won't help your cause to prove to us that he was a "stupid mistake."

Not all D-1 schools are the same level. So USF chose well with someone who has been winning. My JUCO women's team have wins over D-1 schools btw. I think your argument should focus on the wide range of levels in D-1 as whole. Not one particular player.

goober
10-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Have you ever seen Tony Larson? He's on this board by the name of Tonlars. He would have worked this guy and he played DII.

http://vimeo.com/3231513

http://vimeo.com/3231428

I have seen his videos. Tony Larson is a better player now than when he was in college from his posts. I would say the college version of Tony Larson would not beat Tommy Tu and would probably lose in straight sets. Any way the more you post, the more you show you don't know. The fact is Tommy Tu was a D1 player, played #1 on his team and was pretty dang good. Was he as good as the top players in the Pac 10- no, but that does not take away from the fact he was a very good D1 player.

LafayetteHitter
10-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Your whole argument is USELESS. He has a winning record 52-33.

You can critique the video all you want. You can drop other players' names etc...but Tommy is above .500 so your points won't help your cause to prove to us that he was a "stupid mistake."

Not all D-1 schools are the same level. So USF chose well with someone who has been winning. My JUCO women's team have wins over D-1 schools btw. I think your argument should focus on the wide range of levels in D-1 as whole. Not one particular player.

Good post, I think maybe the original poster should challenge the player to a match and we can make a pool here to help pay the flight for him to go meet him. If he beats him then he has bragging rights.

LafayetteHitter
10-03-2009, 07:19 PM

If you are not close to D1 or ever played at that level how can you evaluate some over a few mins in a youtube video and determine his worthiness. It reminds me of this guy making fun of some 3.5's that didn't move very well at our club then I watch the exact same guy play the next day. He blasted every first serve five feet past the line and just tapped in the 2nd serve. The next week on men's night I watched the very same 3.5 players smoke this young guy off the court.

DownTheLine
10-03-2009, 07:22 PM
If you are not close to D1 or ever played at that level how can you evaluate some over a few mins in a youtube video and determine his worthiness. It reminds me of this guy making fun of some 3.5's that didn't move very well at our club then I watch the exact same guy play the next day. He blasted every first serve five feet past the line and just tapped in the 2nd serve. The next week on men's night I watched the very same 3.5 players smoke this young guy off the court.

Then why do people critise pros on this board?

LafayetteHitter
10-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Then why do people critise pros on this board?

Have you ever read some of those posts. 99 percent of the time they have no idea what they are talking about.

SuperDuy
10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
I have seen Tony Larson play, he is great player!

Could Tony Larson beat Bradley Klahn?

Bud
10-04-2009, 02:42 AM

Ask Tony, himself, whether he thinks he can beat him. He posts on the board regularly.

goober
10-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Do you know what the actual scores were? The only problem I have with this video is that it is very short and edited. You could make either player look good or bad with something like this. If you took the Tommy Tu video and only showed the games he won, you might think he were the better player based on that.

TonLars
10-04-2009, 06:27 PM
First point, division isnt really that important in tennis. Tennis is an individual sport, and theres plenty of players in the smaller divisions who would be top division 1 players, and plenty of division 1 players who wouldnt make some smaller division teams' lineups. Second, this guy is a good player, not amazing, but solid. In the clip he is playing a very good player.
I have seen his videos. Tony Larson is a better player now than when he was in college from his posts. I would say the college version of Tony Larson would not beat Tommy Tu and would probably lose in straight sets.
Yep Ive still been improving every year, Im much better now than I was in college. In my junior and senior years of college though, I was good enough to beat this guy if I played well, I beat players those years in open tournaments that were ranked higher than him.
Thanks! Klahn is really tough, not really much difference between him and Stanford's #1 Alex Clayton. I played Alex this summer and was up a break in the third set, but lost unfortunately. I think we would have a good match and Id have a good chance to win, but he likely is the better player.

stanfordtennis alum
10-04-2009, 06:30 PM
this guy is a very good player.. not suprised with his ranking

DownTheLine
10-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey Tony did you just currently switch to the prestige and ALU POWER? You didn't have niether in the summer.

TonLars
10-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey Tony did you just currently switch to the prestige and ALU POWER? You didn't have niether in the summer.

Yeah, I guess ive been trying it out. Liked it ok, but started playing with my old racquets again to see a difference and, of course, I was playing a fair amount better with my oldies. I played in Indian wells with my flexpoints but with ALU Power and i still really like the alu so im gunna stick with that, i played really well this weekend out there. Ill try the youtek version of my racquet I think, and either switch to that or just stick with what I already play well with.

Fedace
10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I guess ive been trying it out. Liked it ok, but started playing with my old racquets again to see a difference and, of course, I was playing a fair amount better with my oldies. I played in Indian wells with my flexpoints but with ALU Power and i still really like the alu so im gunna stick with that, i played really well this weekend out there. Ill try the youtek version of my racquet I think, and either switch to that or just stick with what I already play well with.

Youtek is the real deal....

Fedace
10-04-2009, 07:33 PM
this guy is a very good player.. not suprised with his ranking

so are you thinking Greg will make it thru the qualies....???

volleynets
10-04-2009, 07:33 PM
He was kidding. I think. Brad is there #2 look it up.

DTL Fedace was not kidding. You should see some of his other posts. He was dead serious there.:shock:

tomas9848
10-04-2009, 07:48 PM
the stanford guy is beast.

Bud
10-05-2009, 06:35 AM

Klahn has an ATP rank of 902... Larson isn't ranked.

Tony... do you play ATP futures or challengers?

goober
10-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Yep Ive still been improving every year, Im much better now than I was in college. In my junior and senior years of college though, I was good enough to beat this guy if I played well, I beat players those years in open tournaments that were ranked higher than him.

Fair enough, but weren't you a top ranked D2 player?. I would hardly say that you are an average D2 player so the OP's premise is not valid. The top D3 player in the country probably could beat some D1 players, that doesn't mean the players he beats belong at D3.

jserve
10-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Fair enough, but weren't you a top ranked D2 player?. I would hardly say that you are an average D2 player so the OP's premise is not valid. The top D3 player in the country probably could beat some D1 players, that doesn't mean the players he beats belong at D3.

Agreed. If you only follow the NCAA championships, then you will only see the top few D1 players; however, there are tons of D1 tennis programs, some of which probably have players that would be rated below 5.0.

Furthermore, there are plenty of D2/D3 schools with teams or individual players capable of playing at a D1 level, but they happened to choose their respective school for a multitude of other reasons.

And in that video of Klahn hitting with Jankovic. It's obviously a practice session and he wasn't going all out. A lefty as strong as him wouldn't have too many serves being returned if he was hitting it full strength.

BGB.CA
10-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Eric Butorac was initially in D1 then he transferred to a D3 school and he's won ATP doubles titles you will find good players all over the place for different reasons.

Check it out here: http://www.collegetennisonline.com/Tennis/Search.aspx?textSearch=Butorac&type=S

TonLars
10-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Yep, I was nationally ranked. And what you are saying is exactly what I said as well. Division doesnt matter a lot in an individual sport. Theres many reasons a person would go to a certain school, many cases division 3 schools have great academics.

TonLars
10-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Klahn has an ATP rank of 902... Larson isn't ranked.

Tony... do you play ATP futures or challengers?

Nope not much unfortunately. If I won the lottery or had a sponsor I would play full time and do everything in a professional way, but as of now I just practice every day with the people I have around here and play mostly open tournaments that pay prize money. Ive beaten several ATP ranked players in open tournaments, however. And as I said I was up a break in the third set against Clayton so I could have won, but I concede that they are both better players than me.

BorisBeckerFan
10-07-2009, 02:47 AM
I think there is a basic misconception of what division one means by the OP. I think he expects a certain level of quality because it's division one which is certainly not the case not only in tennis but in basketball, football, baseball etc. I've seen some realy ugly scorelines in football games. Specially when a top 25 team plays one of the lower ranked in conference teams. Does that mean the losing team sucks or doesn't deserve to be DI? No it just means they weren't quite at the level as the opposing team. Same case here.

wyutani
10-07-2009, 02:55 AM
damn, this tu guys is good.

35ft6
10-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I've seen Klahn play in person, when UCLA played Stanford, and he was arguably the biggest hitter off the ground on either team. He hit a couple of bombs off the backhand. Tommy Tu's record speaks for itself, he's a very respectable D-1 player.Prior to USF he was ranked #1 in the Boy's 14's, 16's, and 18's and under for USTA/ Northern California.Tommy Tu Named ITA West Region Senior Of The Year
Saturday, 07/04/2009

(San Francisco, Calif.) - Tommy Tu, of the USF men's tennis team, has been named the West Region Farnsworth/ITA Senior Player of the Year, as announced by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

Tu earns the award on the heels of his stellar final spring with the Dons. During the 2009 campaign, the native of Binh Duong, Vietnam earned All-West Coast Conference first team accolades for the first time in his career and his third overall All-Conference honor. As a senior, Tu posted a 13-8 record playing No. 1 singles for the Green and Gold. Thanks to his outstanding efforts, Tu also became the second Don to be ranked in the national singles ranking. He earned a season-high ranking of 95th and finished the regular season ranked 103rd.

Tu also posted a strong spring in doubles play, teaming with Asaf Cohen to earn All-WCC second team doubles accolades. During the 2009 dual season, the duo reached a season-high national rank of 87th, posting an 8-5 record at the top spot.

With the selection, Tu's name will be automatically nominated for the National Senior Player of the Year.Dude's listed at 5'7", he's just getting overpowered by one of the biggest hitters in college tennis. I've seen pros having a hot day make another top 100 pro look even worse, their match was even less competitive than this.

goober
10-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Bradley Klahn just won a match in the main draw of $50,000 challenger in California this past week. The guy is the real deal and a very high level D1 player.

On a side note Donald Young lost his first round match against an unseeded player :shock:

dmcb101
10-18-2009, 09:30 AM
I agree with whoever said he has no real weapons, but he is solid. I also think he is just an overal smart player, all balls cross-court, serves to the backhand, etc. I admire that type of tennis

-DMcB101

Frankauc
10-18-2009, 01:19 PM
yeah in this video he doesnt look better than 4.5

no weapons at all, and double faults 2 times in a game....

even if the other guy was crushing everyball, im not impressed by Tu's deffense at all.

is he supposes to be better than 5.0 player?

goober
10-18-2009, 01:58 PM
yeah in this video he doesnt look better than 4.5

no weapons at all, and double faults 2 times in a game....

even if the other guy was crushing everyball, im not impressed by Tu's deffense at all.

is he supposes to be better than 5.0 player?

Interesting comments from a guy who calls himself a 5.0 player and yet posted he lost 6-0, 6-1 to a D1 player who is unranked and plays #4 or 5 on his midlevel D1 team.

Frankauc
10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Interesting comments from a guy who calls himself a 5.0 player and yet posted he lost 6-0, 6-1 to a D1 player who is unranked and plays #4 or 5 on his midlevel D1 team.

well, the guy i lost to is about top 20 in canada.....so i think its fair to say i lost to a 5.5 player. Im about high 4.5 low 5.0.

whats the problem?

goober
10-18-2009, 03:24 PM
well, the guy i lost to is about top 20 in canada.....so i think its fair to say i lost to a 5.5 player. Im about high 4.5 low 5.0.

whats the problem?

There is no problem. I just found it interesting that you are not impressed by a guy who would probably easily beat the guy you lost to 6-0, 6-1 (Nationally ranked player, playing #1 for his team vs unranked player playing #4 or 5) and yet you think he is 4.5 and not even 5.0? i just found your thought process interesting.

Fedace
10-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Bradley Klahn wins a round in the Challenger event past week. WAy to go Brad.

AlexTennisAllDayLong
10-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Klahn hit like a monster, those backhands could make atp players look weak lol. I dunno that forehand looks dam weird but whatever he is top player.

in the vid, outside ton of double faults at first Tu played well

Fedace
10-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Klahn hit like a monster, those backhands could make atp players look weak lol. I dunno that forehand looks dam weird but whatever he is top player.

in the vid, outside ton of double faults at first Tu played well

Tu was visibly nervous that day + it was extremely Windy that day and it took Tu much longer to adjust to the wind.:)

Frankauc
10-18-2009, 04:09 PM
There is no problem. I just found it interesting that you are not impressed by a guy who would probably easily beat the guy you lost to 6-0, 6-1 (Nationally ranked player, playing #1 for his team vs unranked player playing #4 or 5) and yet you think he is 4.5 and not even 5.0? i just found your thought process interesting.

as i said, the guy i lost to is nationaly ranked....in canada. top 25. He gave me the impression he would beat Tu.

i said Tu wasnt looking better than 4.5 in that vid. Everybody that see that vid would not think Tu is a 1st D1 player. It's only when you know him and his stats that you can state that he's that good. thats all im saying

Joeyg
10-18-2009, 04:26 PM
The stupidity of some of the posters saying Tu looks like a 4.5 is beyond belief. I'm sure some of these idiots think they are much better than they are.

Hey Dipsticks! Post some videos of your pathetic excuses for a tennis game.

Frankauc
10-18-2009, 04:34 PM
if this vid was posted in the tennis instructions section and Tu wasnt known and if the subject of the topic was "rate this guy", im 100% sure the consensus would be he's a 4.5 player at best.

JoelDali
10-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Really good grades.

Slice_Serve
10-18-2009, 06:09 PM
He's not bad, but not that good either. I like his serve, but his groundies aren't impressive. He looks good enough to be in DI.

Maybe he was having a bad day, who knows.

Rob_C
10-18-2009, 06:31 PM
On a side note Donald Young lost his first round match against an unseeded player :shock:

An unseeded player who he had beaten 4 times in a row, then lost the last two.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/headtohead.asp?player=100018600&opponent=100035263

The guy also made the finals so its fair to say he had a good week.

goober
10-18-2009, 08:48 PM
An unseeded player who he had beaten 4 times in a row, then lost the last two.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/headtohead.asp?player=100018600&opponent=100035263

The guy also made the finals so its fair to say he had a good week.

It is also fair to say that Donald Young had a bad week. If I were D. Young I don't know if I would like the direction the H2H is going with that player. He lost the last 2 to a guy ranked 205. If your goal is to be top 10 or even top 50, these kind of guys should be easy wins.

Rob_C
10-18-2009, 09:34 PM
It is also fair to say that Donald Young had a bad week. If I were D. Young I don't know if I would like the direction the H2H is going with that player. He lost the last 2 to a guy ranked 205. If your goal is to be top 10 or even top 50, these kind of guys should be easy wins.

Well, DY is ranked about 200 right now. Yeah, he has the potential to be ranked higher, and do better.

He did beat Feli Lopez a week or two ago, even though he went on to lose his 2nd rd qualies match.

Lopez just got to the semis of Shanghai. So there are flashes every now and then, just not as consistently as before.

Two yrs ago he was dominating the Fall US Challenger swing, now he's getting bounced 1st rd. Something's amiss.

some6uy008
10-19-2009, 04:51 AM

He's probably still getting comfortable. Hopefully he'll break into similar rank as Blake,Querry and that other American I can't remember at the moment.

DownTheLine
10-19-2009, 05:21 AM
if this vid was posted in the tennis instructions section and Tu wasnt known and if the subject of the topic was "rate this guy", im 100% sure the consensus would be he's a 4.5 player at best.

I totally agree.

wyutani
10-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Tu aint bad really.

goober
10-19-2009, 06:13 AM

Pretty meaningless since current pros that are ranked around 400 in the world were rated 5.0 by the TW board based on video alone. Otoh one TW poster that had a 3.0 rating was rated 4.5-5.0 by several regular posters.

Post of vid of yourself in the tennis instruction and see how many people rate you 4.5 or 5.0. If anything is to be learned from the tennis instruction section results > than what you look like on video. Again Tu split sets in a meet with a player ranked in the top 10 in D1 which would probably = top 5 in Canada.

Frankauc
10-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Pretty meaningless since current pros that are ranked around 400 in the world were rated 5.0 by the TW board based on video alone. Otoh one TW poster that had a 3.0 rating was rated 4.5-5.0 by several regular posters.

Post of vid of yourself in the tennis instruction and see how many people rate you 4.5 or 5.0. If anything is to be learned from the tennis instruction section results > than what you look like on video. Again Tu split sets in a meet with a player ranked in the top 10 in D1 which would probably = top 5 in Canada.

that's what i say. Tu doesnt LOOK like 1st D1 player. I dont argue the fact that he is....

and tell me you're not serious when you say Tu would split sets with canada top 5. (is it really what youre saying). I'm shocked.

gokou703
10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I totally agree.

Of course you would agree. YOU CREATED this ridiculous thread.

By the way it's pretty obvious that most of us DON'T agree with you that he doesn't belong in D-1, and that with his winning record over 4 years of D-1 play (hundreds of hours of match time) totally omits any point you're trying to make off a short video clip.

vndesu
10-21-2009, 04:57 AM
its hard to believe people are saying this about Tommy Tu. overall i think he is a great player

thejackal
10-21-2009, 05:17 AM
that's what i say. Tu doesnt LOOK like 1st D1 player. I dont argue the fact that he is....

and tell me you're not serious when you say Tu would split sets with canada top 5. (is it really what youre saying). I'm shocked.

Sounds about right for a canadian top 5 junior. Overall probably not - we'd be talking about a guy like Niemeyer or Agostinelli.

goober
10-21-2009, 06:50 AM

I am talking top 10 amateur not pro. Of course Tu would lose in straight sets most of the time like 9 times out of 10, but the fact that he can even split sets with somebody of that caliber in an important tournament for his team shows he is not a 4.5 level player or even close to it

Fedace
10-23-2009, 08:18 PM
how did this guy make div 1 ?? you ask,.......Tu is in the round of 16th in the Regionals.... He destroys pacific player in a dominating fashion and now faces Stanford's Greg hirshman. this should be a close one....

Datacipher
10-24-2009, 03:07 AM

UNREAL. After all these years I'm still baffled at the mentality of some of the posters...and the sheer ignorance about tennis and what they are seeing. How could anyone who claims to be low 5.0, look at a vid like that and think that guy is a 4.5??? Just....well there are no words....anyhow, now you know how terribly misguided your judgement is!

PS. Then again, watching the vid again, I can see that perhaps it's more subtle, what people must remember is:
1.the vid is edited to show the best of the other guy
2.the other guy is playing a BIG game, so while you guys may think Tu looks 4.5, an ACTUAL 4.5 would look ridiculous....couldn't handle that game AT ALL
3.despite that, when he's not getting aced, you CAN still see Tu's ability/game if you know what you're looking at

Fedace
10-24-2009, 05:33 AM
^^Just look at the results from the 1st 2 rounds in the regionals. That is pretty impressive. and he is going to give Greg Hirshman from Stanford all he can handle today. This guy Tu can play. he is a division 1 player, solid one at that..

http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/9/2/9/1/4/draw-1-m2.asp

Frankauc
10-24-2009, 08:17 AM
I am talking top 10 amateur not pro. Of course Tu would lose in straight sets most of the time like 9 times out of 10, but the fact that he can even split sets with somebody of that caliber in an important tournament for his team shows he is not a 4.5 level player or even close to it

and i was talking about a top 20 canadian player, overall..........

ClarkC
10-24-2009, 07:08 PM
^^Just look at the results from the 1st 2 rounds in the regionals. That is pretty impressive. and he is going to give Greg Hirshman from Stanford all he can handle today. This guy Tu can play. he is a division 1 player, solid one at that..

And, the two guys he beat handily are Division I players. I wonder what the OP thinks of that.

goober
10-24-2009, 07:54 PM

That is Thai Tu- who is Tommy's younger brother who also plays at USF.

BTW Thai Tu was playing the #5 position on his team primarily unlike Tommy who was at the #1 position and presumably better (at least for now)

Datacipher
10-25-2009, 05:08 AM
and i was talking about a top 20 canadian player, overall..........

Frankauc, you seem like a sincere person, but you've haven't a bloody clue what you're talking about. I read your thread in which you admitted you hadn't the slightest clue what ntrp ranking you'd be but ended up concluding you "must" be a 5.0. That was the thread in which you pondered whether the guy who nearly double-bagled you was a 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 etc. Honestly, if you are playing tournaments in Canada as you say you are, and you are a 5.0, you must be playing open tournies and you WOULD know these things! You would also be playing college players, national juniors, former ranked players of all types and backgrounds, regularly. And by this point, you'd know where you stand, and be easily able to assess all these players.

gokou703
10-25-2009, 05:29 PM
LafayetteHitter,"Can you post one of your videos so we can compare your strokes to his?"

What happened to the OP's video he said he was going to post????

Frankauc
10-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Frankauc, you seem like a sincere person, but you've haven't a bloody clue what you're talking about. I read your thread in which you admitted you hadn't the slightest clue what ntrp ranking you'd be but ended up concluding you "must" be a 5.0. That was the thread in which you pondered whether the guy who nearly double-bagled you was a 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 etc. Honestly, if you are playing tournaments in Canada as you say you are, and you are a 5.0, you must be playing open tournies and you WOULD know these things! You would also be playing college players, national juniors, former ranked players of all types and backgrounds, regularly. And by this point, you'd know where you stand, and be easily able to assess all these players.

in canada, when you're regional club player and your not really "in the system" (playing junior tournaments or have a player licence) and the nearest "open" tournament is 2-3h away from where you live, you dont have the chance to play 5.0 + players very often.

i play regional tournaments in the summer and the "pool" of the best players consist in maybe about 8 5.0+, not more than that. And most of them are players that went to american colleges and are back in town or juniors that leave the region to go play in american colleges...

So i get to play maybe 3-4 very good players each year so it's difficult to know precisely my level of play.

ubermeyer
10-25-2009, 07:53 PM

stop spamming, he was instructed to go easy

ubermeyer
10-25-2009, 07:53 PM
The guy who beat him - Bradley Klahn (who seemed quite a bit better) was forcing many errors and thus Tu didn't look as good as he actually is.

Klahn is actually ATPranked, so not surprising

Trickster
01-08-2010, 03:58 AM

Nice to see a familiar face DownTheLine:)

I'll add my two cents worth.

To say he isn't good enough to playing div 1 seems a bit harsh. Look at his averages

http://www.usfdons.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/tu_tommy00.html

He seems to be winning a lot of matches, as well as splitting sets with Pepperdine's No 1 - not sure who that is???

Plus that video against Klahn, really isn't that bad. Whoever said he's a 4.5 needs shooting.

I think people just saw the first bad unforced error and the double fault and instantly labelled him. I think we are forgetting the good point he won on the s and v etc..

My final remarks on this thread: just because he's not blasting the ball side to side, doesn't not make him div 1.

There is a place for a non-basher in div 1 as well.

DownTheLine
01-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Nice to see a familiar face DownTheLine:)

I'll add my two cents worth.

To say he isn't good enough to playing div 1 seems a bit harsh. Look at his averages

http://www.usfdons.com/sports/m-tennis/mtt/tu_tommy00.html

He seems to be winning a lot of matches, as well as splitting sets with Pepperdine's No 1 - not sure who that is???

Plus that video against Klahn, really isn't that bad. Whoever said he's a 4.5 needs shooting.

I think people just saw the first bad unforced error and the double fault and instantly labelled him. I think we are forgetting the good point he won on the s and v etc..

My final remarks on this thread: just because he's not blasting the ball side to side, doesn't not make him div 1.

There is a place for a non-basher in div 1 as well.

First. I should have re worded the title. What meant for it to say was How is TU #1 at a somewhat good D1 school?

Second. I still stand by what I said if you look at the video TU looks no good. Yea of course part of it is because Brad is shoving every ball down his throat, but like others have said he didn't go for any shots when he had them. The S&V your talking about I found quite lucky. Brad smashed at his feet and the first time I saw that point I thought the ball was out. That's the only good play he did that I noticed except for the one game on his serve the last point he did hit a nice angle.
Not to mention Bradely is not even Stanfords #1 and he was doing alot of stuff he normally wouldn't do against higher caliber of players.

Third. The only reason you posted in this thread to try an get back at me is because I was getting on your case about you calling Clayton a pusher.

DownTheLine
01-08-2010, 07:41 AM

Gregory had a up and down tournament from the looks of his scores.

He was probably playing terrible until he reached the Semis.

diamondgeezer
01-08-2010, 04:14 PM
You've posted one video of a player. Which seems biased by it's nature of selecting certain points...

Tu was probably having a bad game? I'm sure you've stepped on a court and you could have picked up a spade and played better.

I'm sure (given his averages) that other videos would should that this guy is a div1 player

Maybe you are too quick to assume things Downtheline, just because he hasn't got the technique of Clayton or the shots, he still can be an extremely tricky player, hence his averages.

And just on a personal note. If you step on a court with Tu, I'll back him any day of the week.

Trickster
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
So Downtheline - is Tommy Tu a defensive baseliner then LOL?!>!

equinox
01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Perhaps the wind kept tommy cautious and conservative because he hit so many service line balls, which brad ate up for winners or volley put aways. Brad dominated the backcourt and net, tommy never stood a chance with his general lack of pace and thoughtless game plan. The point at 3-5 3:56, that's the tactics he should been playing all match, exploiting the big guys movement with the slice services and topspin cc angles opening the court up for the dtl slice approach or dropshot. I'm sure against a similar style player tommy would perform very well and maybe the matchup was just bad for him.

Based off that video, i believe i could keep up with tommy, D1 for me.. =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeuR25r-D0Q

DownTheLine
01-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Perhaps the wind kept tommy cautious and conservative because he hit so many service line balls, which brad ate up for winners or volley put aways. Brad dominated the backcourt and net, tommy never stood a chance with his general lack of pace and thoughtless game plan. The point at 3-5 3:56, that's the tactics he should been playing all match, exploiting the big guys movement with the slice services and topspin cc angles opening the court up for the dtl slice approach or dropshot. I'm sure against a similar style player tommy would perform very well and maybe the matchup was just bad for him.

Based off that video, i believe i could keep up with tommy, D1 for me.. =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeuR25r-D0Q

Brad moves EXTREMELY well for his size. Tu didn't have a bad match up he was out matched. Like I said before the reason he doesn't look good in this video is because Brad is top 10 in the country. I found it quite lucky that Tu even got 5 games off of Brad.

Records don't mean anything. Just like if you play HS tennis there are always bad teams that you beat 0n0 an that always boosts up your record. If someone could find out what Tu's record is against top 25-50 ranked players I bet it's well below .500 if not .100. Keep in mind that Brad was ranked #53? in the nation at that time.

Trickster something still tells me that your trying to call Clayton a defensive baseliner? If so I feel bad for you.

Have you gotten that video of you playing and having good matches with people at your local club on the same level as somebody that is top 3 in the nation?

I need to stop I am sounding more like Fedace everyday. Sorry.

equinox
01-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Have you gotten that video of you playing and having good matches with people at your local club on the same level as somebody that is top 3 in the nation?
Umm..haha maybe.. there was i assume a recruitment vidcam running last year when i was feeding warmup junk with future GA tech recruit. The actual set wasn't pretty though. lots of scrambling running after winners just like tu. lol.

He lost to this dusan miljevic GA tech guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-tCtk3XGU

last fortnight in QF of a ga open.

Pretty good effort for a maturing jr.

DownTheLine
01-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Umm..haha maybe.. there was i assume a recruitment vidcam running last year when i was feeding warmup junk with future GA tech recruit. The actual set wasn't pretty though. lots of scrambling running after winners just like tu. lol.

He lost to this dusan miljevic GA tech guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-tCtk3XGU

last fortnight in QF of a ga open.

Pretty good effort for a maturing jr.

No lol I was talking about trickster. If you don't understand what it is check out the thread "Is Alex Clayton a pusher?" somewhere on pages 3-5???

Nevermind I'll save you the time. Trickster Says he knows what he's talking about because at his local club there's this D1 league and he has very good matches with people just as good if not a little better then Clayton.

Zachol82
01-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Brad played extremely well against Tu in the OP's video! I love his form!

I don't know what happened when he was playing against the WTA women; he just didn't look all that aggressive :[

DownTheLine
01-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Brad played extremely well against Tu in the OP's video! I love his form!

I don't know what happened when he was playing against the WTA women; he just didn't look all that aggressive :[

He was told to hold back.

goldfish81
01-09-2010, 09:15 PM
He was told to hold back.

im sure he was...

pac10s.com

jgravagna
01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Their are all kinds of DI players and DI can lose to DII and DII players. Our girls and guys teams at DII queens college have beat many D1 players

DownTheLine
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
im sure he was...

pac10s.com

If that was sarcastic Klahns serve is going at about 115 Jelena is use to nothing like that. There has been a thread or discussion about that video and everyone thought he was holding back and one guy was there to confirm that.

blue12
01-10-2010, 06:01 PM

Ha he wasn't even hitting the ball and he was spinning his serves in. He was probably getting paid to play like a girl so she could get some practice.

blue12
01-10-2010, 06:04 PM
UNREAL. After all these years I'm still baffled at the mentality of some of the posters...and the sheer ignorance about tennis and what they are seeing. How could anyone who claims to be low 5.0, look at a vid like that and think that guy is a 4.5??? Just....well there are no words....anyhow, now you know how terribly misguided your judgement is!

PS. Then again, watching the vid again, I can see that perhaps it's more subtle, what people must remember is:
1.the vid is edited to show the best of the other guy
2.the other guy is playing a BIG game, so while you guys may think Tu looks 4.5, an ACTUAL 4.5 would look ridiculous....couldn't handle that game AT ALL
3.despite that, when he's not getting aced, you CAN still see Tu's ability/game if you know what you're looking at

Yeah he looked like he can hit the ball. Maybe he was just really tight for that match and counter punching back fired on him. Then just never could get it together

Trickster
01-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Why wouldn't he be trying his hardest in that match against Jelena?

LeeD
01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I thought we all agreed the difference at lower levels between men and women was right around .5, .8, and maybe ONE.
So level differences at higher levels should be higher, like maybe 1 thru 1.5.
Jelena is a 7.0 Woman, right?
Bradley is a 5.5-6.0 Men's, right?
So there you go.
Most top level mens players, like Bradley, don't need to show off using their biggest first serves against the women. They might lose, but they don't hit their biggest serves....or use their best dropshot angles.

DownTheLine
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I thought we all agreed the difference at lower levels between men and women was right around .5, .8, and maybe ONE.
So level differences at higher levels should be higher, like maybe 1 thru 1.5.
Jelena is a 7.0 Woman, right?
Bradley is a 5.5-6.0 Men's, right?
So there you go.
Most top level mens players, like Bradley, don't need to show off using their biggest first serves against the women. They might lose, but they don't hit their biggest serves....or use their best dropshot angles.

Brads a solid 6.0

DownTheLine
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Why wouldn't he be trying his hardest in that match against Jelena?

It wasn't a match. There just having a hitting session. Go watch some of his videos against top college players like USC or lower level D1 players like Tu, then watch that video. You can easily tell he's holdng back.

LeeD
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Very few decent men's players use their all out game when playing against women.
First of all, they'd lose points with the girl's friends...:shock:
Points there are important.
Then if they actually LOST, they'd lose points with all the guys in the locker room ... :shock:
Third, it's an exhibition, not a money match.
I DID say Brad was "5.5-6", meaning he could be SIX. He is, of course.
Having hit with Open and A women thru the years, I don't think I ever took it seriously enough to go for full out first serves, wide serves, or dink angles and dropshots, stuff I'd use against almost any men's player.
Not saying I could beat the Rosie's, Ceci M or L's, or Pea's, but it just wasn't kosher to hit your hardest shots against them in practice or meaningless exhibitions.

DownTheLine
01-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Very few decent men's players use their all out game when playing against women.
Then if they actually LOST, they'd lose points with all the guys in the locker room ... :shock:
Having hit with Open and A women thru the years, I don't think I ever took it seriously enough to go for full out first serves, wide serves, or dink angles and dropshots, stuff I'd use against almost any men's player.
Not saying I could beat the Rosie's, Ceci M or L's, or Pea's, but it just wasn't kosher to hit your hardest shots against them in practice or meaningless exhibitions.
Not to mention disrespectful to some women.

MC10S
01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Top women < top men

This is the law of sports.

MC10s,
Contributor
D3tennis.com

azbabolat
02-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Just watching him play makes me wonder how much he payed to play D1. I am sorry but he is not that good of a player. His first serves are as hard as my second serves. I would at least put him on a D3 roster over anything.

Fedace
02-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Brads a solid 6.0

Brad is about 9.0. you just fliped the number, that is all. Brad could take 6 games from Roger Federer.

T1000
02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Just watching him play makes me wonder how much he payed to play D1. I am sorry but he is not that good of a player. His first serves are as hard as my second serves. I would at least put him on a D3 roster over anything.

LOL he would take you out 0 and 0.

Ripper014
02-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Where were you when we were talking about playing mixed doubles...

miniRafa386
02-16-2010, 06:24 PM

you have to understand, D1 tennis is possibly the broadest level of tennis. just because its D1 doesnt necessarily mean its going to be Nadal vs Federer. Actually, USF is one of the better D1 schools out there, and in my opinion this guy Tu can hit a pretty good ball. Obviously Klahn is the better player here, but this is cream of the crop D1 ball. You can have guys like Klahn and Tu sparring it out, while at the same time you can have Delaware State playing South Carolina State, not exactly the best D1 ball you can find.

Basically what im saying is that "playing D1 ball" is a VERY loose term.

USERNAME
02-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Brad is about 9.0. you just fliped the number, that is all. Brad could take 6 games from Roger Federer.

Uhhhh NO!!! What are you talking about? Fed eats guys who do well in challengers alive, Brad should be happy with 2 games in a match against Fed.

Big_Dangerous
02-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah I watched some of Tu and Cohen vs Klahn and Thacher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVqn45hzV40&NR=1

I gotta say Tu and Cohen aren't that good. They remind me of me and my friend when we played doubles in a tournament a few weeks ago. We're both like 3.5 - 4.0 players.

Even Klahn and Thacher didn't look spectacular, looked like me and my friend would be able to at least win 2-3 games off them in a pro set.

Joeyg
02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Interesting comments from people who have absolutely no clue. Where do these morons come from?

ReopeningWed
02-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Tommy Tu is an amazing player. My high school team's coach was right under him on the roster at USF, and he'd get spanked by Tommy every single time. Until you've hit with these D1 collegiate level players, you haven't the faintest idea how hard it is to return their shots, let alone keep a rally going.

USERNAME
02-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Interesting comments from people who have absolutely no clue. Where do these morons come from?

I have no idea... A 3.5-4.0 player thinking he can get a few games off D1 players in dubs?!?! And good ol' Fedace!

frankyue50
02-18-2010, 10:02 PM
yeah, apparantly those morons never hit with any good players at all. I am pretty even DIII players can bagel them without even trying.

I have no idea... A 3.5-4.0 player thinking he can get a few games off D1 players in dubs?!?! And good ol' Fedace!

gokou703
02-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Tommy Tu is an amazing player. My high school team's coach was right under him on the roster at USF, and he'd get spanked by Tommy every single time. Until you've hit with these D1 collegiate level players, you haven't the faintest idea how hard it is to return their shots, let alone keep a rally going.

Tommy is an amazing player. It doesn't matter what USERNAME SAYS, DOWNTHELINE, etc...

TOMMY HAS A WINNING RECORD AT THE D1 LEVEL. END OF ARGUMENT.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS DUMB THREAD IS STILL GOING!

Number 1 SINGLES at USF
2005-06 14-9
2006-07 16-8
2007-08 13-9

LET THE NUMBERS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES

BTW I'm a former collegiate player in the Bay Area and I have hit with his contemporaries (all ranked lower than him). GOSH they are ridiculously solid players.

ReopeningWed
02-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Tommy is an amazing player. It doesn't matter what USERNAME SAYS, DOWNTHELINE, etc...

Number 1 SINGLES at USF
2005-06 14-9
2006-07 16-8
2007-08 13-9

BTW I'm a former collegiate player in the Bay Area and I have hit with his contemporaries (all ranked lower than him). GOSH they are ridiculously solid players.

Did you ever hit with Mitch Del Rosario?

gokou703
02-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Did you ever hit with Mitch Del Rosario?

I use to hit with Mitch during juniors. I coach boys' tennis at Kennedy btw so I'll see you during the season. I also played college tennis with Mitch's brother.

Oh yeah Mitch is one of Tommy's contemporaries I was talking about. Anyone better than Mitch has to be a crazy player.

USERNAME
02-20-2010, 12:55 AM

Number 1 SINGLES at USF
2005-06 14-9
2006-07 16-8
2007-08 13-9

WHAT?!?! I said Tu was a good player and that the people who think hes bad are dumb. What were you reading???

gokou703
02-20-2010, 01:38 AM
WHAT?!?! I said Tu was a good player and that the people who think hes bad are dumb. What were you reading???

My fault USERNAME
I missread your comments. I was so surprised that this thread that downtheline made is still going strong that I jumped the gun and confused your comments with the ridiculous critiques of others who said that Tommy wasn't D1 material when his stats obviously says otherwise.

johnkidd
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Based on this arguement of how people look, Marat Safin should have at least double digit grand slam wins, and Fabrice Santoro should have never made a living playing tennis. What goes on between the ears can also be a weapon.

DownTheLine
03-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Based on this arguement of how people look, Marat Safin should have at least double digit grand slam wins, and Fabrice Santoro should have never made a living playing tennis. What goes on between the ears can also be a weapon.

If Safin actually had dedication and wasn't in Feds era he would have alot more then 2 slams.

He's probably the biggest waste of talent in the history of any sport. Safin is an amazing tennis player don't get me wrong, but he could have 3-4 more in the early stages of Feds career if he had determination.