PDA

View Full Version : Need advices, what do I need to make it to scholarship tennis

Shadow Mix
10-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Im in 11 grade and Im Portuguese, Im going to try to go to the US for a tennis scholarship, Im preparing everything now for that, I just want to know how things work, how can apply,whats the best way to apply and when to apply.

Im also going to put vid links occasionaly so you can rate my playing.
I know at the moment Im not a very good playing.

I am gently asking for people to dont say sentences like "Oh you are never going to make it" or "give up" or any other flames.

Any help or advices is welcome, thank you very much for bothering.

tennismom42
10-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Im in 11 grade and Im Portuguese, Im going to try to go to the US for a tennis scholarship, Im preparing everything now for that, I just want to know how things work, how can apply,whats the best way to apply and when to apply.

Im also going to put vid links occasionaly so you can rate my playing.
I know at the moment Im not a very good playing.

I am gently asking for people to dont say sentences like "Oh you are never going to make it" or "give up" or any other flames.

Any help or advices is welcome, thank you very much for bothering.

I suggest that you go back to the TW forum & read what's already been posted. There is tons of information on this. Try to understand that few in US would help you. We get quite defensive about losing our US scholarships to foreigners. Most foreigners piggy-back their way in to US schools via their friends: in other words, if you know someone here, you try to work your way in with their help. Possibly the same school. Possibly others.

Most likely you play ITFs. If so, what has been your highest ranking?

To people in the US, 11th grade is almost too late. That's because our 11th graders are about 16 or 17 years old. 12th graders are signing at first commitment in November. The rest of the 12th graders will sign in April. It's possible you would aim for next November signing. It would not be unusual for a foreigner aged up to 21 to recruit in.

Why would you want to come to the US for college? Don't colleges in Europe have college tennis teams? Also, and most importantly, understand that scholarships only HELP with the costs. Of the approximate 3000 players from the class of 2009, I know of only 1 full ride. Understand that a scholarship only pays a small % of college costs. At minimum a decent D1 college is going to cost $20,000 USD/year. Top 100 USTA recruits may get an average of a 50% scholarship. So now you have to come up with the other $10,000.
Understand the myth now?

sureshs
10-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Try out tennisrecruiting.net and contact coaches directly. Don't bother what people say to scare you off - they obviously don't want you to succeed. Recent NCAA champions like Somdev were once like you. Schools and coaches want the best and you should go directly to them, not listen to disgruntled people. Many of the "international" Olympic athletes actually train in US universities and those US students who want to compete at the global level are happy to compete with the global talent right at home.

goran_ace
10-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Don't colleges in Europe have college tennis teams?

No. Sports in European universities, to my understanding, is nothing like in the US. They don't have the equivalent of NCAA-type varsity sports teams and instead have a well-developed club system.

tennismom42
10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
No. Sports in European universities, to my understanding, is nothing like in the US. They don't have the equivalent of NCAA-type varsity sports teams and instead have a well-developed club system.
Well, kudos for US. Glad to see we're doing some things right with our youth in the US.
Lack of competitive tennis in college could explain why many europeans and central south americans skip college for the first few years.

Shadow Mix
10-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I suggest that you go back to the TW forum & read what's already been posted. There is tons of information on this. Try to understand that few in US would help you. We get quite defensive about losing our US scholarships to foreigners. Most foreigners piggy-back their way in to US schools via their friends: in other words, if you know someone here, you try to work your way in with their help. Possibly the same school. Possibly others.

Most likely you play ITFs. If so, what has been your highest ranking?

To people in the US, 11th grade is almost too late. That's because our 11th graders are about 16 or 17 years old. 12th graders are signing at first commitment in November. The rest of the 12th graders will sign in April. It's possible you would aim for next November signing. It would not be unusual for a foreigner aged up to 21 to recruit in.

Why would you want to come to the US for college? Don't colleges in Europe have college tennis teams? Also, and most importantly, understand that scholarships only HELP with the costs. Of the approximate 3000 players from the class of 2009, I know of only 1 full ride. Understand that a scholarship only pays a small % of college costs. At minimum a decent D1 college is going to cost $20,000 USD/year. Top 100 USTA recruits may get an average of a 50% scholarship. So now you have to come up with the other $10,000.
Understand the myth now?

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Ive seen some threads before and Im well aware of some people get pretty defensive about losing their scholarships to foreirgners, I understand their point of view despite not agreeing with it.
And I have not played ITFs, but Im praticing in every free time I have.
Ive been playing for 1/2 years, I know you all may thing It is impossible, but I like to believe It is not, I will do whatever I can.

Try out tennisrecruiting.net and contact coaches directly. Don't bother what people say to scare you off - they obviously don't want you to succeed. Recent NCAA champions like Somdev were once like you. Schools and coaches want the best and you should go directly to them, not listen to disgruntled people. Many of the "international" Olympic athletes actually train in US universities and those US students who want to compete at the global level are happy to compete with the global talent right at home.
Thanks, I will try out tennisrecruiting.com, I have been there sometimes, but I didnt realized we could contact coaches directly.

Dave Mc
10-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Ive been playing for 1/2 years

Not a flame, but I'm sorry to say that in very general terms, that makes you a "beginner". Tennis scholarships are a very valuable commodity to coaches, and are reserved for recruiting the most "advanced" players possible, usually players with 8-15 years of experience, including national and/or international tournament competition. I can still remember our coach turning away several "beginners" and "intermediates" that showed up for walk-on tryouts at my old DII school. "Beginners" can definitely still have a great time playing intramurals and club tennis (and maybe really weak DIII teams), but there is absolutely no place for "beginners" on university teams. Again, sorry if I sound negative.... I think you should go for it! But just be equally prepared for zero scholarship offers :-(

Shadow Mix
10-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Not a flame, but I'm sorry to say that in very general terms, that makes you a "beginner". Tennis scholarships are a very valuable commodity to coaches, and are reserved for recruiting the most "advanced" players possible, usually players with 8-15 years of experience, including national and/or international tournament competition. I can still remember our coach turning away several "beginners" and "intermediates" that showed up for walk-on tryouts at my old DII school. "Beginners" can definitely still have a great time playing intramurals and club tennis (and maybe really weak DIII teams), but there is absolutely no place for "beginners" on university teams. Again, sorry if I sound negative.... I think you should go for it! But just be equally prepared for zero scholarship offers :-(

The thing is, my tennis teachers say that I have talent and If I started playing earlier I would be able be a good candidate for to a D1, I dont really care about what others say, I will do my best.
I know what I am facing, Ive been watching college matches, Im not that far away from them as you may think, I may sound cocky or overconfident but thats is my opinion.