PDA

View Full Version : Vapor VI a bit longer than Vapor V?

ac3111
10-06-2009, 03:20 AM
I am wearing the white/black Vapor VI holiday in my home, not wore them before, they just arrived. They are an absolute beauty but if I tie the shoelaces tight, the area in front of the ankle and a bit below feels like my foot is a bit strangled.
If I tie the shoelaces a bit loose then I feel a minor upward movement of my Achilles hill when I walk on my home's carpet.
MAybe I should have gone half a size down compared to the Vapor V's...

ac3111
10-06-2009, 03:24 AM
I will have the shoelaces tight and wait if the ankle area will soften a bit. If it does then I will keep this size...

ac3111
10-06-2009, 03:43 AM
Wearing too pairs of socks makes the situation a lot better... but then there is not much space for the foot to breathe...

weaselberry
10-06-2009, 06:49 AM
The VIs are not longer than the Vs. If you take a size 11 in both shoes and stand them up next to one another, you'll see the VIs are actually shorter. The problem with the VIs is that the toe box is enormous. This really makes the VIs feel a size or two too big, but they really aren't. I really liked the feel of the tight toe box of the Vs, but maybe I'm in the minority. I don't mind the super open box of the VIs, it's just a totally different feel.

-wb

JoelDali
10-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Unlace them very loosely, insert foot, and make the lace up sequence tighter than out of the box. When I say tighter I mean firmer than straight out of the box. I did this last night and it was very helpful.

Also, why do they make the laces so DAMN small? Such a joke, the only bad thing to say about these really.

Quality laces, but 2-3 inches too short!

Amazing shoe folks...love these.

I am a huge Vapor V fan, but these Oreos are HEAVEN. I'm buying as many as I can before they stop selling them.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/JoeDali/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTgtMjAwOTEwMDUtMTY0O.jpg

ac3111
10-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the photo but they hindered me from playing today. They were killing the inner of my ankles...
MAybe I will have to buy smaller size because the big toe ends where the toe box with the big white thing starts.
The thing is I am not exactly sure to buy smaller size or bigger. In terms of length I can go down half a size...
I am a bit frustrated because I did not expect that they would bother me so much...
I will try with 2 pairs of socks next time...

Chopin
10-06-2009, 08:46 AM
This is interesting. Has anyone gone down a half-size with the VI?

ac3111
10-06-2009, 08:49 AM
The problem is that if I go half size up the distance between my big toe and the end of the show will grow even more.
If I go half size down, I wear 7.5 size, I am afraid that it will be tighter on my ankles.
Does the width remain the same even if the sizes change. Is it only the length changing?
Tomorrow I will try wear them with 2 pairs of socks...

JoelDali
10-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Sorry you're having troubles...I buy a 10.5 for all Nikes and they really fit great...I buy a 10.5 CC Genius and they're horrible...I guess there is slight differences between mfgs.

Its too much work if the shoe doesn't fit right...I hope you find the answer.

The Oreos are heavenly for me in my normal size.

babolat15
10-06-2009, 09:23 AM
are the geniuses bigger or smaller than the nikes^^^

morten
10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
i go half a size smaller in VI

ac3111
10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
My previous shoe was Vapor V 7.5. So it's not the brand that makes the difference but the model.

Tour90
10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
hmmm, seems like everyone else is having problems with these laces. i don't have any.....

ac3111
10-06-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't think it is a lace problem. My foot is a bit more forward and the ankle touches the part of the shoe where it should not...

javierjavier
10-06-2009, 10:00 AM
i've bought the same size in all my nike tennis shoes though i've replaced the insole with some superfeet.

the ballistecs are definitely some of the most comfortable tennis shoes i've put on, but the vapors are lighter while being much more stable. i'm sold on the vapor vi's.

i had to tighten the laces as well to keep my heel from coming up out of the shoe, but don't have the discomfort you feel. maybe the vapors just aren't for you?

that said, they are pretty stiff out of the box and would break in eventually.

ac3111
10-06-2009, 10:10 AM
What would you advise me to do?
The Vapor V fit very well from the beginning, so I thought to try the new Vapors at the same size...
Should I get a different size or give them sometime?
If I tie the shoelaces tight then the area of the around the ankle strangles the ankle a bit, it is so stiif and I get a big discomfort.

morten
10-06-2009, 10:12 AM
VI are a bit too stiff and narrow for my foot, but a great shoe still. Vs and Oscilliate are my all time favourites btw.

ac3111
10-06-2009, 10:23 AM
The part of the show where there are the 2 last holes touches my ankle. And this what it causes all the problem. In the old Vapors V that part of the shoe did not touch my ankle.
So either the foot must go a bit backwards or the shoe a bit forward.
Does that mean I should go for a longer shoe-size?
Now I have to skip the last holes and do not have the laces pass inside them...
just tie them lower...

javierjavier
10-06-2009, 10:27 AM
What would you advise me to do?
The Vapor V fit very well from the beginning, so I thought to try the new Vapors at the same size...
Should I get a different size or give them sometime?
If I tie the shoelaces tight then the area of the around the ankle strangles the ankle a bit, it is so stiif and I get a big discomfort.
yeah, the v's definitely were more comfortable.

google lacing tips. i've seen a guide to different lacing strategies to solve different foot and shoe issues. try those and see if they solve the issue.

good luck.

JoelDali
10-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I dunno what to suggest other than if you can't get them to play nice with no discomfort then perhaps they aren't for you.

They fit me so well with just a little bit of lace tweaks. Its best to unlace them very loosely and put them on and lace them up snug but not that tight. They really are form fitting for me I guess.

JoelDali
10-06-2009, 11:01 AM
The V are more comfortable but not better performing.

For a night at the opera I'd wear the V.

For a 5 set match against Jimmy Arias I'd wear the VI.

ac3111
10-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Finally the VI is not longer. It is the shape it has around the ankle that causes the problem. The opening around ankle is bigger in the Vapor V's while it is smaller in the VI. So in the VI a part of the shoe touches the ankle and because the shoe is yet very stiff it causes the discomfort...

ac3111
10-07-2009, 02:54 AM
The shoe starts to soften. I added an insole and a second pair of socks and the situation is improved dramatically.
If the shoe softens more then there won't be any discomfort. If not then I am gonna sell them eventually and starting looking for V's...

ac3111
10-07-2009, 03:34 AM
I just wore the Vapor VI Tour black/red same size like the white...
And guess what... shoe fits better and no discomfort when walking or running horizontally...
The black/red vapors have the RF logo, the white/black no...

mosh17
10-07-2009, 03:44 AM
I just wore the Vapor VI Tour black/red same size like the white...
And guess what... shoe fits better and no discomfort when walking or running horizontally...
The black/red vapors have the RF logo, the white/black no...

I think this is probably because they are made from different materials.
The black/red is a leather material, whereas the white/black is plasticky.
I tried them on in a store (decided to get ballistecs :)) but I liked the leather much more than the plastic.

ac3111
10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I had the black Vapor V and I was going to buy the black VI Tour only but coach always said "Aren't you bored wearing black even under heavy sunshine, how can you handle the heat?" and I decided to get some white stuff...
Now I know I have to stick eternally to Darth Fader stuff...
The black Vapor V's were also plastic but had bigger opening for the ankle.