PDA

View Full Version : tennis rage

IStern
10-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Help me deal with it please!

After hitting for a while, regardless of how well I'm actually doing, each UE just adds to the fire, and pretty soon I'm just consumed with anger and can't focus on anything else.

Maybe I should buy some super cheap used racquets and smash those :twisted:

LeeD
10-07-2009, 10:20 AM
"gosh darn it, I suck".....
So maybe focus that anger towards more playing time and effort.
Some top players hated to lose, like Connors and McEnroe. Maybe you're the next coming of such.....
Oh, and pay for your rackets yourself. After the first couple/dozen of broken rackets, you'll focus your anger elsewhere.
However, it IS always the racket's fault, so why blame anything else?

USERNAME
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
"gosh darn it, I suck".....
So maybe focus that anger towards more playing time and effort.
Some top players hated to lose, like Connors and McEnroe. Maybe you're the next coming of such.....
Oh, and pay for your rackets yourself. After the first couple/dozen of broken rackets, you'll focus your anger elsewhere.
However, it IS always the racket's fault, so why blame anything else?

Dude you need to shut up.^^^
As for the op dont smash racquets. Iv done it and trust me if u dont feel really dumb after doing it ull feel really embarrassed. When I get mad (quite often in tournys) I do stuff like deep breathing, moving my strings, and shaking my hand to get it loose. Also some little QUIET pep talks to urself can help, say to urself 'come on, u got this' or 'lets go, big point, u can do it'. Biggest thing that helps me the most is having someone (not parents) there to look at, it almost always puts my head back in the game when I look at this person.

LafayetteHitter
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Well you have already identified that this mindset is not helping your game so that's the first step. Breaking racquets won't help and will only show your opponents that they are getting the best of you. Look at the guys on the courts that get respect and see what they do when things get tough. I know at my courts people with loud negative attitudes and people that throw racquets are only laughed at.

LeeD
10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Username...
Of course I should stay off the internet, only YOU have any advice worth giving, so maybe we ALL should stay off except for you, of course.. :twisted::twisted:

USERNAME
10-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Username...
Of course I should stay off the internet, only YOU have any advice worth giving, so maybe we ALL should stay off except for you, of course.. :twisted::twisted:

Wow dude another insult, that seems to be all I see from you! Every single thing Iv seen you post is either mean or useless info or both (most common is the later). So why dont you stop trolling and try to maybe help people...

Camilio Pascual
10-07-2009, 12:00 PM
After hitting for a while, regardless of how well I'm actually doing, each UE just adds to the fire, and pretty soon I'm just consumed with anger and can't focus on anything else.
Do you commit similar behaviour in other areas of your life? If so, what is the context and what do you do?

SystemicAnomaly
10-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Wow dude another insult, that seems to be all I see from you! Every single thing Iv seen you post is either mean or useless info or both (most common is the later). So why dont you stop trolling and try to maybe help people...

I don't see it. What are you getting bent out of shape over? Perhaps you are misreading tone or intent of LeeD in this case. His last response to you almost seemed justified. I certainly don't agree with everything he has to say (or the way he says it), but he does make a lot of excellent points.

USERNAME
10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't see it. What are you getting bent out of shape over? Perhaps you are misreading tone or intent of LeeD. His last response to you certainly seem justified. I certainly don't agree with everything he has to say, but he does make a lot of excellent points.

But iv seen alot of posts from him that when he makes his points he insults the person while doing so, there is no need to do that.

IStern
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Do you commit similar behaviour in other areas of your life? If so, what is the context and what do you do?

I'm actually extremely calm off the court, I don't even really get annoyed at anything.

Mis-hitting that little yellow ball, of all things, gets to me.

LuckyR
10-07-2009, 12:27 PM

It is pretty simple really. Once you decide you are more interested in winning matches than massaging your ego, all of that stuff will magically melt away...

USERNAME
10-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm actually extremely calm off the court, I don't even really get annoyed at anything.

It gets to every player, the differance is how u react. Keep a cool level head and itll b easier to get nice clean shots, when ur mad u get tight and when ur tight ur strokes go bye-bye. When u lose a big point just teach urself to forget about it, move on to the next point as if it were the first point in the match.

r2473
10-07-2009, 12:34 PM
It is pretty simple really. Once you decide you are more interested in winning matches than massaging your ego, all of that stuff will magically melt away...

In the 5+ year interim, I suggest the OP buys cracked racquets off flea-bay to keep costs as low as possible.

LuckyR
10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
In the 5+ year interim, I suggest the OP buys cracked racquets off flea-bay to keep costs as low as possible.

You really think it'll take him > 5 years to decide he wants to win matches and not act like a crybaby?

SystemicAnomaly
10-07-2009, 12:39 PM
To the OP:

#1 suggestion -- make sure that you are getting enough sleep.

Perhaps you are suffering from testosterone poisoning? Are you taking DHEA, steroids or any supplements that might be boosting your testosterone levels. Imbalances in neurotransmitters, too much or too little of certain ones, can be a significant factor. Too much coffee or Red Bull can also be the culprit.

Meditation & some chamomile tea prior to tennis could help. Breathing exercises during tennis, esp between points, can be helpful to calm the mind. Also, try adjusting your strings between points like many of the pros do. This simple task can help you to settle the turmoil and help you to put the last point behind you and focus on the upcoming point.

Try laughing off your last error. A little chuckle to yourself might change your attitude or mindset. Lastly, problem solve. Use your errors as a learning experience, an opportunity to rise to a challenge.

SystemicAnomaly
10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
But iv seen alot of posts from him that when he makes his points he insults the person while doing so, there is no need to do that.

Agreed....

r2473
10-07-2009, 12:47 PM
You really think it'll take him > 5 years to decide he wants to win matches and not act like a crybaby?

I know guys like this. They either hit hard and commit a lot of errors or harder and commit even more errors. Anyone that doesn't "play like a man" ****es them off.

Yes, I am making some assumptions about his style of play, but i don't see guys that play within themselves get mad like this. It is usually the mindless bashers. I am guessing he is in the "hitting tennis balls" phase of tennis, and hasn't quite reached the "playing tennis" phase yet.

5 years is a conservative estimate.

USERNAME
10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
To the OP:
#1 suggestion -- make sure that you are getting enough sleep.

Try laughing off your last error. A little chuckle to yourself might change your attitude or mindset. Lastly, problem solve. Use your errors as a learning experience, an opportunity to rise to a challenge.

Verrrrry sound advice and why didnt I think of more sleep?

TheJRK
10-07-2009, 01:03 PM

Are you "hitting it" on a regular basis? And I don't mean a tennis ball...

LuckyR
10-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I know guys like this. They either hit hard and commit a lot of errors or harder and commit even more errors. Anyone that doesn't "play like a man" ****es them off.

Yes, I am making some assumptions about his style of play, but i don't see guys that play within themselves get mad like this. It is usually the mindless bashers. I am guessing he is in the "hitting tennis balls" phase of tennis, and hasn't quite reached the "playing tennis" phase yet.

5 years is a conservative estimate.

You may be right. I guess I always assume the best...

paulfreda
10-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Very simple way to handle this.

Imagine you are Serena Williams.
You go in to a rage and commit an assault with a deadly weapon while issueing a death threat to the line judge in front of 100 million people.

Now imagine how embarrassed you'd be for yourself, your family, your children and the club you represent. That should be enough to make you find another way to think about not getting what you want on a tennis court. How immature can an adult be who does not see perspective in life ?

BTW, if you do this at a USTA/WTA event, you will suffer no meaningful punishment even though you'd be arrested and jailed if you did it in a restaurant or pub. So do not expect guidance on criminal behavior from the ruling bodies. Your integrity will depend on you and you alone.

ubermeyer
10-07-2009, 04:02 PM
try to be more consistent

UEs suck, i almost didn't like tennis after being the most inconsistent player in my classes

so i became more consistent, and now am developing my attacking shots. problem solved! :)

Bud
10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Are you "hitting it" on a regular basis? And I don't mean a tennis ball...

:|:|:|

'nuff said.

volusiano
10-07-2009, 07:56 PM
That's why a lot of people say playing tennis is as much mental as it is physical. If you embrace this and make half of your goal with tennis about controlling your emotion as much as controlling your shots, you'll grow in both dimensions.

If it helps, just yell out a disappointment every time you make an UE to get it out, then let it go and move on to the next point. That way, you get rid of your anger one piece at a time and not allow it to build up.

Jay_The_Nomad
10-08-2009, 05:44 AM

There is no solution.[ Anyone who is making ridiculous amounts of unforced errors would be ****ed with themselves.

No.1 Advice: Go work out why you're making so much UEs.

If you're ****ed off with the amount of unforced errors you're making, chances are the amount of UEs are causing you to lose matches or at the most, barely winning them.

If your UEs are low enough & you're able to win matches comfortably, I don't think you would be angry...because you're winning.

Camilio Pascual
10-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Then I think your behaviour might actually be healthy for you with one significant exception.
The effect of your behaviour on your opponents could result in negative social consequences for you. You should probably not join a private club and sign up for a league, for example. Be ready to apologize and assert that you are to blame for your behaviour. Try to play with people who have a high tolerance for your behaviour.
Getting some cheap, used racquets and trashing them isn't that bad of an idea. Good luck.