PDA

View Full Version : What do you do extra for tennis?

Fred The Red
02-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Do you train extra for your game?

vin
02-23-2004, 04:58 AM
I lift weights, but I'd do that anyway if I didn't play tennis.

I'd like to work on speed and footwork, but haven't had the initiative yet.

Vin

mitchell_ota
02-24-2004, 12:13 AM
I go to the gym and work out 3-4 times a week, and I play tennis the other 3 days. I'm really doing the gym thing to lose some weight, and it's working out (lost 15 pounds since the 2nd week of January, and still going).

I kind of watch what I eat, but that pertains more to quantity than quality. I still eat what I like, just not as much of it. It seems to work better for me than trying to radically alter my diet.

Like vin, I should probably be working on the footwork and all that too, but I just haven't got the time for it right now. It's probably something I'll have to save for Summer vacation.

Kirko
02-24-2004, 04:56 AM
During the winter I run between 5 & 8 mile abt. 3 times a week & use the abb wheel btween 100 & 150 reps. everyother day . When the warm weather hits just tennis.

jayserinos99
02-24-2004, 09:46 AM
If anything, I just play basketball the other days of the week when I'm not playing tennis. As far as watching what I eat, I'm in the same boat at Mitchell where I watch how much I eat as opposed to what I eat.

tnkGod4tns
02-26-2004, 09:00 AM
trying to watch what i eat, doing some strength training on days that i am not playing, light to moderate weights with lots of reps, i focus more on endurance and getting stronger rather than bulking up, planning on doing a lot of biking when the weather here in no. cali gets better.

bob
02-27-2004, 09:00 AM
I do the following:

1. 1-2 times a week:
jog 1/2 mile
then push up pyramid from 1 to 12 then back to one ( do 1, then 2, the 3 to 12 then 11, 10, 9 to 1)
then four sets of 25 squats followed by 25 "boot strappers"

2. 1-2 times a week (this is "Scrapper's" #1 workout):
-push up pyramid from 1 to 12 then back to 1
-pull ups
-tricep pushups till exhaustion (usually around 15)
-dips (4 sets of 10)
-four sets of 25 squats and 25 bootstrappers
- four sets of 10 lunges each leg
-around 6 minutes of various crunchies

Here's a url where I got this workout from http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml
You can order workout tapes. Or, you can just copy them from the web for free.

Here's a url for a great chin up bar that you can install & remove in 5 seconds before and after using
http://www.easychin.com/products.lasso
I bought the "easychin" model

BTW, I don't get any kickbacks from the tapes or from the chinup bar guy

I got a used "granny walker" without the wheels for doing dips. Works great.

As far as diet I drink plent of water and try to watch what I eat.

I'm close to 57 years old and cardio wise I can hold my own with the young turks on the 4.0 & 4.5 ladder.

I would recommend going to the trainfor strenght web site and download and try workout #1.

My three cents!

Eric Matuszewski
02-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Bob, thanks for the great URL on the chin up bar. I wish I'd have known about this one a couple of months ago. Mine I HAVE TO screw in mounting plates for.

Chins are no doubt great for strengthening some important tennis muscles (Chins mainly stress the Lats but the rhomboids as well as the infraspinatus get some secondary stress).

Doing a chinup is fun, and It's a great compound movement (works alot of muscles promoting a more balanced physque as oppossed to isolation excersices which put all the stress on one sometimes fragile muscle).

For those out there who don't yet have the strength to do chins yet, that totally ok. Get with a certified (ACSM, ACE or NSCA) trainer and she or he can show you some tricks to work your way up to them.

vin
02-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Those of you who do dips and chins may want to consider one of these ...

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-5621.html

You use the chain to hang plates off of your waste so you can increase the weight that you are using for these exercises.

Vin

dennis1188
02-27-2004, 09:24 PM
I got a 'hit-a-way' . Seems good for 'hand-eye' coordination and good work way to 'work' the back, shoulders and arms.
I find the softball version is easier on the hands and does not 'ping'
as much (better w/ the neighbors next door etc).

andreh
03-01-2004, 06:46 AM
I run and lift weights, especially the legs. Kneebends.

A german sports commentater once said: You play tennis first with your legs, then with your head, and first third with the racquet in your hand.

Work out those legs. It'll give you power, speed and endurance.

/A

saeta119
03-01-2004, 11:45 AM
I do karate during the off season, that's what I've found is the best workout for your legs, lots of quick explosions on your legs, it really helps your sprints, and also you get a lot of upper workout with your shoulders and arms, to give you stamina and not lose power when hitting the ball, this has proven to be very effective, at least my forehand has become faster now.
Also do some weight lifting here and there, and target on the abs and back for my serve.
The only drawback that I need to work on now is the stop and go, I've noticed I'm not working on my ankles, or running from side to side.

TennisChick
03-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Mondays: 9:00 a.m. Doubles practice w/team followed by 1 hour private lesson w/my pro. Afterward, lower body (total leg, glutes) & ab weight training in the gym. 1 1/2 hour tennis bootcamp in the afternoon.

Tuesdays: 9:30 a.m. match (except for summer months) sometimes followed by 1 hr. with my pro and upper body weight training & abs.

Wednesdays: 9:00 a.m. 3.5 clinic (2 hrs.) followed by lower body & ab weight training & 20 min. on the stairmaster. 1 1/2 hr. afternoon tennis bootcamp.

Thurs: 9:00 a.m. team clinic (2 hrs). 1 hr. private lesson with my pro. Upper body & ab weight training afterward in the gym.

Fri: 9:00 a.m.--1 hr. with my pro followed by 1 1/2 hr. bootcamp. Lower body & ab weight training afterward.

Saturdays: 1 1/2 hr bootcamp.

Sundays: OFF!!!

I follow a strict diet. High protein, low fat, low carb (not Atkins!). I eat a lot of chicken, fish, A LOT of green vegetables and fruit and fat free dairy (cheese, cottage cheese, plain nonfat yogurt). No pasta, rice, breads or sweets. Chips, cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, etc. are not a part of my world except for one cheat meal per week.

vin
03-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Damn, and I thought I played a lot. I wish I had that much time (and money) for tennis!

What is 'tennis bootcamp'?

Vin

TennisChick
03-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Actually, I am a stay at home mom (for lack of a better term) and most of my tennis and gym time is done during school hours. The two afternoon bootcamps that I do are done during my son's own drills with his coach and my daughter hangs out at the courts with us and watches.

As far as the money goes, I guess you can call it payback for putting my husband through med. school instead of getting a college education of my own. :wink:

Anyway, bootcamp is a clinic that focuses more on physical conditioning. It involves a lot of drills that are designed to improve footwork and stamina while working on stroke production and a little strategy too.

vin
03-03-2004, 04:37 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm jealous!

Benjamin
03-03-2004, 05:50 AM
RUNNING.

I started running back on December 1st to lose weight. The only diet change I made was cutting out sweet tea and soft drinks and no eating after 7:00 pm.

I typically run between 15 and 25 miles a week (running every other day). I've lost 32 pounds. Went from 213 pounds on this 6'2" frame down to 181.

The best part is the fact that I can run point after point after point and never lose my breath. Running is the best thing I've ever done for my tennis game.

Benjamin

Japanese Maple
03-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Off court training for me definitely gives me a competive edge aginst my opponents during tournament time. What I do will vary
depending on the time of season -here is a breakdown:

1) Cardio-my favorite is the lifecycle 4-6/wk. Less stress on my joints and great for leg strength.

2) Weight training-3-4/wk. with a focus on legs,shoulders, and the rotator cuff. I once read that strengthing your rotator
cuff can improve ball velocity on your serve 10-15%! For tennis be sure you also pay attention to your adductor/abductor muscles.

3) Speed/Plyometrics-1-3/wk. This is alot of fun and gives me
the biggest advantage over my competition because it helps my
tennis game the most. I do a variety of movements using cones,
medicine balls,bungy cord,speed ladder,crazy ball,heavy rope,
jump rope, slide,ect. The workout lasts 30-60 minutes and my shirt
is trenched-a great calorie burner that is not boring. I get most of
my information from tapes, books, and tennis camps such as
Saddlebrook-Pat Etchenberry. This is a great substitute for cardio-
instead of jogging 6/wk. do speed/ply 3/wk and cardio 3/wk.

4) Stretching-5-7/wk. I always do my streching after cardio so that
my muscles,tendons, and ligaments are nice and pliable. During
tournament time I typically stretch 3/day.

5) Tennis-4-5/wk. I do alot of drilling for workout and improvement
purposes concentrating on patterns/shot seqences that best
utilize my weapons for my particular playing style

6) Diet/Hydration-Eat a balance diet focusing on fruits,vegatables,
fish,chicken,protein bars and drinks, and lots of water,very little
red meat. I need to drink a minimum of 1 gallon of wate per day,I also
drink the powder Gatorade(Sams Club has great price) during the
day and especially during tournament matches. It amazes me that
players will go to a match on a hot day and have no sports drink-
only water. If we get to a third set and they only have water they
have depleted their glycogen stores and their performance usually
suffers a great deal.

7) Abs/core-3-4/wk. Very important for tennis players. I like to use
a medicine and swiss ball. I spend about 10-15 minutes per session. Keep it simple and be consistent.

8) Massage/whirlpool- I get a deep tissue message every two weeks and hit the whirlpool 3-4/wk. Helps keep me loose and make me aware of tight areas that need more special attention
during my stretching time. The whirlpool really helps alleviate any
mucsle soreness and aids greatly in rehab for injuries.

Ronaldo
03-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Benjamin, how could you cut out pit BBQ washed down by sweet tea in NC? Japanese Maple, do you wear Boast clothing?

coach
03-04-2004, 07:54 PM
I agree with andreh a few posts earlier, if the legs go you are gone. Conseuently, I ride my bike, in-line skate when I can fit it in, and do way too many stairs everyday living in a 3 level townhouse. Also crunches and pushups as watch bad reality shows on the idiot box.

bcaz
03-04-2004, 10:05 PM
fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa better

run, run, run, run, run, run, run away ....

Japanese Maple
03-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Ronaldo,

Yes I do wear two boast warmups and I have a gorgeous
60 year old Japanese Maple in my front yard. I do get constantly
asked if the emblem on my warmup is a marijuana plant all the
time-it gets very annoying.

Joe Oldschool
03-06-2004, 10:22 AM
I do sprints and a little jogging a couple times a week as well as some leg strength exercises and stretching.

Here's the thing I do that is a bit unusual. :? Once or twice a week, I do some "mini-hitting" and hand-eye coordination work. Right there in the living room I can hit the ball with full-knee-bend, against an area of wall 3 feet wide and from floor to ceiling. I stand back about 6 feet from the wall and use an old wood jack kramer staff and a ball (wood floors). You have to have a very soft touch and some serious movement to keep that ball under control. I can hit almost as well lefty as righty. Then I do some close control work with just the racquet and the ball. Tossing and catching the ball without letting it bounce on the strings etc. The heavy racquet makes it an awesome workout through the wrists and forearms.

Of course, table tennis is always nice too.

Pushups, sit-ups too. :wink:

vin
03-06-2004, 10:30 AM
I play quite a bit of table tennis and always wondered what effect, if any, it has on tennis. I think it may help with watching the ball and reaction time.

Vin

Tomek
05-20-2004, 12:17 AM
What I do (both for my self and for tennis) is:
-Muay Thai (hard to think of better way of getting in shape for tennis). To all who doesn't know what MT is: it's sth like kickboxing but with lowkicks, knee and elbow strikes. Also ways of executing kicks is differnet from kickboxing;
-running and jumprope (on MT) ;
-weightlifting.