PDA

View Full Version : Starting Tennis Tips

LightningZI
10-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Well not really starting, I've played it for about two months now so I know the feel of the game. I haven't had a coach, Just taught myself. Also where would I go in finding a coach.. There aren't many where I live and the ones that are here charge like 200 per lesson.. and their not even close to pro..

I want to play it more competitively so I thought trying out for my schools varsity tennis team would help. Tryouts begin sometime late March.

Any tips on improving my game in 6 months? I made JV last year without any experience at all (Suprisingly) Really looking forward to getting into varsity.

brad1730
10-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I would think that one of your High School tennis coach's could help you find a pro that would cost a lot less than $200. I have found that the Internet has been a huge help - especially this forum and Fuzzyyellowballs.com. Do you have any firends that would be willing to hit with you? Is there a backboard or wall that is close? Get a basket and some practice balls and work on your serve. For me, I found that getting a good forehand and a good serve - brought me to a reasonably competittive level quickly. To get my serve going, I would practice 1 or 2 baskets daily. That's pretty easy - just 20 minutes on the way to work or school. Good luck!

LightningZI
10-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I'll ask around, My friends really don't play tennis, and those who do are recreational players and I'm already a lot better than them. In the 2 months I played I've learned a lot so most recreational tennis playing friends aren't too big of a help to me. Yeah I have a wall at my parks Tennis Court. I usually went there for 5 hours during the summer just to practice. I think I've got the serve down. Thanks for your help, I'll ask my coaches.