PDA

View Full Version : My video - mikro112 playing tennis

mikro112
10-07-2009, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T0e4-cnVvE

I played college DII for 2 semesters, while I was getting my MBA. So tennis was not my focus, but rather something I did in my free time. I played at #1. It was a great great time and a lot of fun.

I'm not necessarily looking for tips, but if you see something that is way off, don't hesitate to tell me. Since I'm back in my home country now, I've already improved my backhand a lot. Unfortunately, I don't have a video of that yet. But I hope to get one during this winter season.

Have fun watching the video!

USERNAME
10-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Nice consistant strokes man and great movement. Ur serve motion is alot like mine, quick and straight back.

mikro112
10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks! :) I changed my service motion a little bit though. The ball toss motion is starting low now, and not that high anymore. I'm getting more consitant tosses with it now. :)

USERNAME
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Gotta b careful with a low toss, just make sure ur arm is fully extended at contact so u get the power u want.

mikro112
10-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I know. Thanks for telling me though ;)

Or do you mean a low toss? I was talking about that my arm starts at my hips now and goes all the way up to my shoulders/head when I release the ball. ;) The height of the toss itself stays the same.

USERNAME
10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Ohhh I get what ur sayin, disregard earlier post :)

boojay
10-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Dem, looked like an awesome match. I like how you were always looking to make your way to the net. Kudos to the other guy too. Too bad you didn't have footage of him since it's obvious he's no slouch either.

LeeD
10-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, nice solid 5+ strokes there.
Only weakness is probably your first serve. You don't win many easy points with it ??? A question. Seems your serve is lacking in pace and spin. Maybe your takeback is too high, maybe your swing is too short, maybe your body movement is not into the court enough. Maybe.
How is your serve?

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-07-2009, 07:21 PM
This video shows that a guy can look a little funky, but if he practices hard and focuses on the fundamentals he can still play some mean tennis.

Like that serve... Looks freaky funky! But I bet you can still go over 110 easy while putting it right where you want because you kept practicing it and because you felt comfortable with it.

And that first serve is fine. Even if he doesn't get free points, he still sets up the point nicely and gets short replies. That's what smart players look for. If you can bomb it big enough consistently and put it where you want, by all means go for the aces. But all you need is something that sets up the point the way you want it to be played which maximize your percentages to win the point. And playing that way increases your first serve percentage by a little as well since you don't need to put as much pace on it, you can add a little more spin for safety.

spacediver
10-07-2009, 07:32 PM
your footwork looks beautiful.

mikro112
10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah, nice solid 5+ strokes there.
Only weakness is probably your first serve. You don't win many easy points with it ??? A question. Seems your serve is lacking in pace and spin. Maybe your takeback is too high, maybe your swing is too short, maybe your body movement is not into the court enough. Maybe.
How is your serve?
Actually, my serve is pretty good. I hit it with lots of spin, which most of the American players I played against didn't like (I'm from Germany btw and I grew up on claycourts). You can see a regular first serve at the 1:55 mark. In that match and during most of the last year, I didn't feel very comfortable hitting first serves all the time. :? So I focused on hitting "dirty" kick-serves, which actually worked really well on the hardcourts because I was (am) able to create good angles and rather difficult returns most of the time. However, since I'm back in Germany I realized that my "bad feeling" with the first serve had something to do with the toss. Since I've changed that (see posts above), it's working way better and I'm getting a really good first serve (full speed serves) percentage. I'll try to get some more videos of my current serves shown in a better angle soon (I'll be finished with university here in Germany in about 2 weeks and after that I'll do that).

This video shows that a guy can look a little funky, but if he practices hard and focuses on the fundamentals he can still play some mean tennis.

Like that serve... Looks freaky funky! But I bet you can still go over 110 easy while putting it right where you want because you kept practicing it and because you felt comfortable with it.

And that first serve is fine. Even if he doesn't get free points, he still sets up the point nicely and gets short replies. That's what smart players look for. If you can bomb it big enough consistently and put it where you want, by all means go for the aces. But all you need is something that sets up the point the way you want it to be played which maximize your percentages to win the point. And playing that way increases your first serve percentage by a little as well since you don't need to put as much pace on it, you can add a little more spin for safety.

wat? I'm looking funky? (j/k) I know, but tennis is not about looking good!

But yeah, I can serve at the 110 - 115 mph range (maybe a couple miles faster, if everything works perfectly), but during my college time I wasn't comfortable enough with doing that and missing a lot of serves. Right now, after I practiced serves more often, it works better again, as mentioned above. However, I have to add that in the video above not all serves are first serves. In the video, I have cut out first serve misses to have a more fluent video. So a good percentage of the serves shown in the clip are actually second serves ;)

Nonetheless, what you (xFullCourtTenniSx) wrote in the last paragraph is exactly what I was looking for in my game.

Here's a really new picture of me at a tournament a few weeks ago:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/mikro112/th_p9063135.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/mikro112/?action=view&current=p9063135.jpg)
I'm not looking that funky anymore, eh? :D

your footwork looks beautiful.
Thanks!

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
So a good percentage of the serves shown in the clip are actually second serves

That explains why on a second look you weren't getting that many short replies as I had remembered. Then I looked at the trajectory and noticed a lot were kick serves.

Nonetheless, what you (xFullCourtTenniSx) wrote in the last paragraph is exactly what I was looking for in my game.

Haha. Looked like you were already doing it. If you don't get a bunch of free points on the second serve, only option left is to use it to set points up like it was originally meant for right? Yeah... I have kind of a clay court mentality when it comes to points so I don't see everything in a one dimensional way. Though I admit... When it comes to my serving, I just think where to place it and what kind of spin, then think of what shots to hit on a shot by shot basis. I don't like to think too far ahead since that'll lead me back to improvisation anyways. Though I started doing a little bit of it the last time I played a set. Didn't pan out because points didn't last long enough for the plan to really unfold. Probably because my hitting partner is below my level and once I hit a return the point will be over within 2 more shots anyways. :-?

Here's a really new picture of me at a tournament a few weeks ago:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/mikro112/th_p9063135.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/mikro112/?action=view&current=p9063135.jpg)
I'm not looking that funky anymore, eh? :D

Depends... Where are the other 59 frames? :) Haha. Your backhand is pretty beautiful. Kinda reminds me of Guga. Your serve looks a little funky cause of how close your racket starts to your face, and your forehand is a bit wristy for my tastes, but both are still wonderful shots.

mikro112
10-07-2009, 09:08 PM
That explains why on a second look you weren't getting that many short replies as I had remembered. Then I looked at the trajectory and noticed a lot were kick serves.
But still, using these kick-serves doesn't give my opponent a chance to hit hard and offensive returns because if I serve to the backhand most of the guys have to return the serves somewhere on should-height. ;) And on the AD-side, this serve creates nice angles for me.

Haha. Looked like you were already doing it. If you don't get a bunch of free points on the second serve, only option left is to use it to set points up like it was originally meant for right? Yeah... I have kind of a clay court mentality when it comes to points so I don't see everything in a one dimensional way. Though I admit... When it comes to my serving, I just think where to place it and what kind of spin, then think of what shots to hit on a shot by shot basis. I don't like to think too far ahead since that'll lead me back to improvisation anyways. Though I started doing a little bit of it the last time I played a set. Didn't pan out because points didn't last long enough for the plan to really unfold. Probably because my hitting partner is below my level and once I hit a return the point will be over within 2 more shots anyways. :-?I started thinking "far" ahead, maybe the next 2 or 3 shots, in the last year. When I serve with a kick-serve out wide (ad-side) I think about the two options I'll have: 1. Hit my opponents return into the open court or 2. wrong-foot him when he runs back to the middle of the baseline. Another option could be serve-and-volley. I do that a lot from the ad side even if I just serve a slow, but high-bouncing kick serve out wide.
Another example is in a rally if I hit a low backhand slice to my opponents forehand, I can expect a crosscourt answer. I then think about my possibilities before I hit the slice. Short answer -> Attack up the line, long answer -> also up the line, but stay behind.
In my opinion, the good thing about thinking a little bit ahead is that you can't be surprised easily by your opponent's shots.

Depends... Where are the other 59 frames? :) Haha. Your backhand is pretty beautiful. Kinda reminds me of Guga. Your serve looks a little funky cause of how close your racket starts to your face, and your forehand is a bit wristy for my tastes, but both are still wonderful shots.Thanks :) I understood funky as a reference to my hair und the headband. Because my teammates were always picking on me because of that. Haha. But my doubles partner had even longer curly hair, so it always looked very funny. About my serve: I had never noticed that it looked like this until I saw the videos. It felt further away from my body. :shocked:

ubermeyer
10-07-2009, 09:25 PM
like the forehand, serve, and volleys

dislike the backhand and grunting

the wise wizard
10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T0e4-cnVvE

I played college DII for 2 semesters, while I was getting my MBA. So tennis was not my focus, but rather something I did in my free time. I played at #1. It was a great great time and a lot of fun.

I'm not necessarily looking for tips, but if you see something that is way off, don't hesitate to tell me. Since I'm back in my home country now, I've already improved my backhand a lot. Unfortunately, I don't have a video of that yet. But I hope to get one during this winter season.

Have fun watching the video!

where did you go to college? DU? gates is such a nice place to play! i really enjoyed playing the summer sectional there.

Swissv2
10-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Oh man...pshhhh - 5.5+ at best :p

I like your all court game. 4:44 looks like you got a bit lazy on court (slice the ball seemly short, and just stand there).

If you have any other chances, we would love to see more!

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-07-2009, 10:55 PM
But still, using these kick-serves doesn't give my opponent a chance to hit hard and offensive returns because if I serve to the backhand most of the guys have to return the serves somewhere on should-height. ;) And on the AD-side, this serve creates nice angles for me.

I started thinking "far" ahead, maybe the next 2 or 3 shots, in the last year. When I serve with a kick-serve out wide (ad-side) I think about the two options I'll have: 1. Hit my opponents return into the open court or 2. wrong-foot him when he runs back to the middle of the baseline. Another option could be serve-and-volley. I do that a lot from the ad side even if I just serve a slow, but high-bouncing kick serve out wide.
Another example is in a rally if I hit a low backhand slice to my opponents forehand, I can expect a crosscourt answer. I then think about my possibilities before I hit the slice. Short answer -> Attack up the line, long answer -> also up the line, but stay behind.
In my opinion, the good thing about thinking a little bit ahead is that you can't be surprised easily by your opponent's shots.

Thanks :) I understood funky as a reference to my hair und the headband. Because my teammates were always picking on me because of that. Haha. But my doubles partner had even longer curly hair, so it always looked very funny. About my serve: I had never noticed that it looked like this until I saw the videos. It felt further away from my body. :shocked:

Yeah. I personally don't think my kick serve is that good. But I rarely see people hit offensive returns off of it (even when playing people above my level). And even if they pull it off, they won't do it consistently throughout the match or I can still find a way to deal with it.

And I know what you mean on the angles out wide on the ad side. When I started, I was pretty much a beginner or lower intermediate with a kick serve I could use pretty well. So I got plenty of aces and easy returns going out wide. Now, such easy returns and aces are a rarity. Though I'll still get plenty of errors. Haha.

And I thought thinking ahead was setting up a few shots that'll drag out a certain shot out of your opponent you can use to be offensive on. In the case you describe, I have some experience with it, albeit limited. I try to limit my opponent's options to what I want them to hit, and move from there. I've tried some more of it today, like thinking where should I hit the return to get the kind of response I want (a shot to my forehand), and it worked out now and then. Like I said, points don't usually last too long after I hit the return. :(

And my friend kinda does the same thing with his serve sometimes. He imitated Sampras, but sometimes he gets it pretty close to his face, sometimes not.

mikro112
10-08-2009, 11:21 PM
like the forehand, serve, and volleys

dislike the backhand and grunting
Thanks! Grunting helps me breathing though ;)

where did you go to college? DU? gates is such a nice place to play! i really enjoyed playing the summer sectional there.
Nah, not DU. Way too expensive for me as international student. lol I'm used to tuition fees of maybe $800/semester. ;) I graduated from Hasan School of Business at CSU-Pueblo. I really liked the business school there and I couldn't have afforded any private schools or more expensive schools.
Oh man...pshhhh - 5.5+ at best

I like your all court game. 4:44 looks like you got a bit lazy on court (slice the ball seemly short, and just stand there).

If you have any other chances, we would love to see more!
Was that sarcastic (the 5.5+ at best)? Although I speak and understand english fluently, there are some expressions that I don't understand.
In the situation you talked about, I was actually not lazy, but surprised that my slice actually went in. It bounced really close to the line and I expected it to go out.
Yeah. I personally don't think my kick serve is that good. But I rarely see people hit offensive returns off of it (even when playing people above my level). And even if they pull it off, they won't do it consistently throughout the match or I can still find a way to deal with it.

And I know what you mean on the angles out wide on the ad side. When I started, I was pretty much a beginner or lower intermediate with a kick serve I could use pretty well. So I got plenty of aces and easy returns going out wide. Now, such easy returns and aces are a rarity. Though I'll still get plenty of errors. Haha.
It doesn't really matter how you get the point: Error or easy put-away. The serve is used to create an advantage for you and if it works, you should definitely use it. Attacking all slower kick-serves requires only two things:
1. A good footwork.
2. Courage to make errors, if it won't work immediately. Because if it works, it will create a big advantage for you.

And I thought thinking ahead was setting up a few shots that'll drag out a certain shot out of your opponent you can use to be offensive on. In the case you describe, I have some experience with it, albeit limited. I try to limit my opponent's options to what I want them to hit, and move from there. I've tried some more of it today, like thinking where should I hit the return to get the kind of response I want (a shot to my forehand), and it worked out now and then. Like I said, points don't usually last too long after I hit the return. :(
That's also a good option to do it. It gives you something to think about and helps you understanding the game of tennis. I think when you get a little more used to doing that, it'll feel more natural.

And my friend kinda does the same thing with his serve sometimes. He imitated Sampras, but sometimes he gets it pretty close to his face, sometimes not.
I didn't do it intentionally though. Well, intentionally yes, but not because I wanted to imitate anyone. ;)

Btw, I went through some of the video footage I have from that match day (some doubles and the singles) and I realized why I actually don't have that many real first serves in the video. I don't want to show off, but I didn't get many returns back from my opponent when my first serve was in. Therefore, I only put these rallies in, which have more than one shot. Haha.

I also found a few decent rallies in the doubles match. I'll try to post them soon, and also some of the serves!

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-08-2009, 11:39 PM
It doesn't really matter how you get the point: Error or easy put-away. The serve is used to create an advantage for you and if it works, you should definitely use it. Attacking all slower kick-serves requires only two things:
1. A good footwork.
2. Courage to make errors, if it won't work immediately. Because if it works, it will create a big advantage for you.

Haha. Nobody's been able to be aggressive on it throughout an entire match. They'll go for a few and make it, but if they go for too many, I'll start racking up free points off my kickers all day. :) Though it's true that the people I play aren't quite at your level. (Or are they...? :) )

I've occasionally been told that people prefer returning my first serves instead of those kickers.

It was so bad that sometimes when I'm down, I start throwing in nothing but kick serves and watch the return errors pile up for free points. Today I did that, and it worked so well until the guy successfully returned his first kick serve of the day! It ended up being a winner and on set point. Haha. I probably should've hit it to the backhand, but I wanted him to try and whack it with the forehand and overhit. Then we tried the point again to see what would've happened with a second serve, and he misses the return long... Apparently if I went to the backhand and made him run around it I would've had the mini set. Haha.

The only people who've really been successful on returning my kick serves are those who just get clean contact and try to get the ball back and place it. After that, they rally for the point. I've always found this to be the better option when I return serves, but I'll occasionally go for a few big returns.

So I've rethought how I want to use my first serves (since apparently my second serves seem to scare people more and be more effective).

I'm thinking of focusing on these:
-Hit with more spin
-Aim for higher percentage (or perhaps a lower percentage would work more in my favor?) :twisted:
-Develop one of those sick wide sliders instead of just a hard slider into the corner
-Focus less on pace and placement, and just place the ball as ridiculously well as possible
-Mix up the serves more (throw in a few kickers and body jammers)
-Then add more pace slowly to that (after I start off by taking it away)

mikro112
10-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Haha. Nobody's been able to be aggressive on it throughout an entire match. They'll go for a few and make it, but if they go for too many, I'll start racking up free points off my kickers all day. :) Though it's true that the people I play aren't quite at your level. (Or are they...? :) )

I've occasionally been told that people prefer returning my first serves instead of those kickers.

It was so bad that sometimes when I'm down, I start throwing in nothing but kick serves and watch the return errors pile up for free points. Today I did that, and it worked so well until the guy successfully returned his first kick serve of the day! It ended up being a winner and on set point. Haha. I probably should've hit it to the backhand, but I wanted him to try and whack it with the forehand and overhit. Then we tried the point again to see what would've happened with a second serve, and he misses the return long... Apparently if I went to the backhand and made him run around it I would've had the mini set. Haha.

The only people who've really been successful on returning my kick serves are those who just get clean contact and try to get the ball back and place it. After that, they rally for the point. I've always found this to be the better option when I return serves, but I'll occasionally go for a few big returns.

So I've rethought how I want to use my first serves (since apparently my second serves seem to scare people more and be more effective).

I'm thinking of focusing on these:
-Hit with more spin
-Aim for higher percentage (or perhaps a lower percentage would work more in my favor?) :twisted:
-Develop one of those sick wide sliders instead of just a hard slider into the corner
-Focus less on pace and placement, and just place the ball as ridiculously well as possible
-Mix up the serves more (throw in a few kickers and body jammers)
-Then add more pace slowly to that (after I start off by taking it away)

It is true that it's not easy (possible) to return aggressively throughout a match if you play on hardcourts. On clay, it's definitely easier. Of course there are always people who simply place the serve too well to let me move around my backhand, but the majority of players has a decent kickserve, which isn't placed perfectly. That allows me to attack MANY 2nd serves with my returns. Especially on occasions like double-break-point, 0-15, 0-30 attacking is a good tool to put lots of pressure on your opponent. In these cases you shouldn't overpower though. Just attack (in this case place the ball with maybe 70% - 80% of your full power and move up to the net) and force your opponent to hit a great shot.

For the serves: Mixing up is the key to winning service games, imo. Maybe unless you serve at speeds like Roddick or Karlovic, but in all other cases: Mixing up is the way to go.

I can confirm your experience regarding the kickserve. If you have a high-bouncing kickserve in your repertoire you should use it for sure, because many recreational players (like you and me) have problems returning those.

You also already mentioned the way to improve your serve:
-Hit with more spin Definitely! Development of a kickserve that bounces about shoulder high with decent velocity is very important.
-Aim for higher percentage (or perhaps a lower percentage would work more in my favor?) I actually do that as well. I try to serve at maximum 90% of my top serve speed to increase the percentage. Also replacing some hard first serves with mean kickserves should be considered as well.
-Develop one of those sick wide sliders instead of just a hard slider into the corner Yep, variation is extremely important. If you can hit both slice serves, the better it is for you.
-Focus less on pace and placement, and just place the ball as ridiculously well as possible Yes and No (imo). Placement is not enough if your serve is extremely slow. A slow high bouncing kickserve can be less dangerous than a fast semi-high-bouncing one. Ideally, a first serve should be hit with about 70%-90% of your max. speed with perfect placement (= close to the lines/corners or right at the body) or the second serve should be either a nasty slice serve (fast or slow) or a very high bouncing kickserve with decent speed.
-Mix up the serves more (throw in a few kickers and body jammers) Exactly! Use all the directions there are. Wide, T, Body.
-Then add more pace slowly to that (after I start off by taking it away) Also correct. If your getting all your first serves in, you should consider increasing the speed. Your percentage should never go below (60%-)70% though.

An easy way to increase your kickserve speed is to hit the kickserve, but swing as fast as you can. FULL speed. Then vary how much you actually hit the ball until you get a satisfying result. :)

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-09-2009, 12:51 AM
It is true that it's not easy (possible) to return aggressively throughout a match if you play on hardcourts. On clay, it's definitely easier. Of course there are always people who simply place the serve too well to let me move around my backhand, but the majority of players has a decent kickserve, which isn't placed perfectly. That allows me to attack MANY 2nd serves with my returns. Especially on occasions like double-break-point, 0-15, 0-30 attacking is a good tool to put lots of pressure on your opponent. In these cases you shouldn't overpower though. Just attack (in this case place the ball with maybe 70% - 80% of your full power and move up to the net) and force your opponent to hit a great shot.

For the serves: Mixing up is the key to winning service games, imo. Maybe unless you serve at speeds like Roddick or Karlovic, but in all other cases: Mixing up is the way to go.

I can confirm your experience regarding the kickserve. If you have a high-bouncing kickserve in your repertoire you should use it for sure, because many recreational players (like you and me) have problems returning those.

You also already mentioned the way to improve your serve:
-Hit with more spin Definitely! Development of a kickserve that bounces about shoulder high with decent velocity is very important.
-Aim for higher percentage (or perhaps a lower percentage would work more in my favor?) I actually do that as well. I try to serve at maximum 90% of my top serve speed to increase the percentage. Also replacing some hard first serves with mean kickserves should be considered as well.
-Develop one of those sick wide sliders instead of just a hard slider into the corner Yep, variation is extremely important. If you can hit both slice serves, the better it is for you.
-Focus less on pace and placement, and just place the ball as ridiculously well as possible Yes and No (imo). Placement is not enough if your serve is extremely slow. A slow high bouncing kickserve can be less dangerous than a fast semi-high-bouncing one. Ideally, a first serve should be hit with about 70%-90% of your max. speed with perfect placement (= close to the lines/corners or right at the body) or the second serve should be either a nasty slice serve (fast or slow) or a very high bouncing kickserve with decent speed.
-Mix up the serves more (throw in a few kickers and body jammers) Exactly! Use all the directions there are. Wide, T, Body.
-Then add more pace slowly to that (after I start off by taking it away) Also correct. If your getting all your first serves in, you should consider increasing the speed. Your percentage should never go below (60%-)70% though.

An easy way to increase your kickserve speed is to hit the kickserve, but swing as fast as you can. FULL speed. Then vary how much you actually hit the ball until you get a satisfying result. :)

I was mainly talking about the first serves. I'm satisfied with my kicker aside from the fact that it would be nice to have more spin (for more kick) and more pace.

And my kicker already has decent velocity and kicks from shoulder high to over the head (of I'm guessing a 6 foot tall player).

As for dropping pace to have great placement, I'm still going to keep the pace above 100 mph.

And I was thinking of switching to a flat serve to a hard topspin serve (again). And I was thinking of using heavier spin on my slice serves by brushing them more. Though I have to work on the motion cause sometimes I don't hit it right because I learned a kick serve before a slice serve (so sometimes my slices turn into kickers).

And I find that spinning kick serves forward as opposed to up increases how quickly they go through the court. You can still have the same amount of kick as if you spin it up, but it's a little harder, but you can easily get as much, if not more, effective height on the kick if you practice. I've also tried hitting through it. When I do it only moderately, I have difficulty keeping it in the box. When I do it extremely, I find it hard to get it to kick, but it lands in.

Right now I'm thinking about adding more brushing action to my spin serves. Basically relearning them and reapplying the fundamentals to my serves. Doesn't hurt to review once in a while when you seem to be stuck in a rut.

Swissv2
10-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Was that sarcastic (the 5.5+ at best)? Although I speak and understand English fluently, there are some expressions that I don't understand.
In the situation you talked about, I was actually not lazy, but surprised that my slice actually went in. It bounced really close to the line and I expected it to go out.

Yes, I was teasing. 5.5 is still a really dang good rating, but I was trying to imitate someone saying "3.5 at best".

You seem like a very good player.

Eph
10-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm in a similiar situation. How did you manage tennis with a postgraduate degree?

I'm hoping to make the club tennis team here at ___ next semester, but am worried I won't have enough time for my studies.

Any advice?

10-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Nice game you have here. Bet that serve is really cranking now that you are more comfortable with your toss. Didn't look bad at all here. On the Fh, though you might want to consider using the left arm more.

Nice Game.

mikro112
10-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm in a similiar situation. How did you manage tennis with a postgraduate degree?

I'm hoping to make the club tennis team here at ___ next semester, but am worried I won't have enough time for my studies.

Any advice?

No advice really. My days were like 11 a.m. or noon until 4 pm practice. Then classes until 9 pm. Then homework/study all night + spending time with my gf. Only on days where I had class at 2 (only half a semester on two days), I couldn't go to practice, because it started later in the day in the winter.

However, my real team practice was either from 2 pm - 5 pm, or from 3 pm - 6 pm. But because of my classes I always hit with one of my teammates earlier than that, as I've described above.

My weekly schedule was okay overall. The only times, besides finals week, it was really busy was when we had long trips, with exams coming up and I had to study on the way (on the drive and in the hotel). Nonetheless, there were two weeks twice where I couldn't go to practice at all, or VERY rarely because of the finals week. And of course there were sometimes single days, where I was so busy with homework/studying that I simply couldn't make it to practice. But on these days, I simply told my coach I can't come. He was very understanding, so that was nice. However, I had told him when I arrived that my priority is school, but that I will do whatever I can for the team.

Nice game you have here. Bet that serve is really cranking now that you are more comfortable with your toss. Didn't look bad at all here. On the Fh, though you might want to consider using the left arm more.

Nice Game.Thanks! I haven't played in the last three weeks, because of a back injury and university, so I'm not so sure about my serve. :D But I think it's gonna be fine once I start hitting again next week. Can you explain the additional use of the left arm please?

10-15-2009, 08:25 PM
It's not a big thing, but your left arm, while not just hanging, is not real active either.
You could use it to facilitate stronger shoulder turn into contact and improve balance. Really not bad at all, but just could be a fine tuning kind of thing.
Of course with a game like yours, that is mainly all you have to work on is fine tuning.

mikro112
10-15-2009, 08:30 PM
It's not a big thing, but your left arm, while not just hanging, is not real active either.
You could use it to facilitate stronger shoulder turn into contact and improve balance. Really not bad at all, but just could be a fine tuning kind of thing.
Of course with a game like yours, that is mainly all you have to work on is fine tuning.

Interesting. I'll give it a try next week, when I start playing again.

Are we talking backhand or forehand, or both? Forehand, right?

10-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Interesting. I'll give it a try next week, when I start playing again.

Are we talking backhand or forehand, or both? Forehand, right?

You hit backhands too?? LoL
just kidding, but did you notice how many Fhs you hit?
Pretty amazing really.

But actually both Fh and Bh.
on the slice you can use the off hand to almost mirror the hitting arm,
as it pulls back the opp direction.
even on overheads, you use the off hand to sight the ball in well, then
just sort of let it tuck in and die to your side.
Here you could use it more to start the shoulder rock motion. On serve as well.

See what you think.

Kedar
10-16-2009, 03:43 PM
I like your forehand and your movement, especially when you approach to the net.

mikro112
11-28-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't want to start a new thread, but I thought I'd share my tennis experience from today.

Today we had our second team match of the winter season and we played one of the best teams in our group. We've lost the first match 6:0 (4 singles/2 doubles) against another top team.
So, since about three month, I had severe back problems, which forced me to retire in a match in a tournament a while ago (I usually don't retire unless I have something broken, etc.). In the last, let's say, four weeks I've been practicing hard with my team, but due to my back problems, I wasn't able to move on the court at all. Also, I couldn't hit any regular backhands (only slice was working) because I wasn't able to turn my upper body to the right. Therefore, when the ball came to me, I was hitting extremely well, but lost all practice games because everybody was chasing me around. I tried getting to the balls but became extremely frustrated because it wasn't working as well as I wanted it to be.

However, since about one week, my back problems seem to get better every day. It's still something wrong with a muscle in my back, but it's not hurting that much any more. I also started to take light painkillers before the matches, which apparently helped a lot. I also focused more on warming up properly with running and stretching. Then, last Tuesday, I was practicing with the #1 in my team (I'm on his level though) and I was hitting pretty good. We played for one hour sets to 10 without serve and with 10 pushups after each set. We played 6 sets and I lost 4 sets to 2. Well, so much for the background. LOL

As mentioned above, we had our second team match today. I played a guy who was ranked #578 in Germany (which is very good ;) ) and he was the total favorite. But today I played probably one of the best matches I've ever played, at least the first set was the best set in my life. I beat that guy 6:2 6:4 and it was the only singles win of my team. Before the match, I told myself to play more offensively, which I couldn't do in the last weeks because of my back and the lack of my movement. We played on carpet and he played really hard shots with not much spin, but boy, I was hitting them back. I was chasing down every ball, and was hitting winners left and right, with forehand and backhand. My teammates all stood outside the court looking like this: :shock: :shock: Everything worked. Okay, my serve was not perfectly, but my return was awesome and I attacked literally every shot and it was feeling so great. I wish I had something of that match on video.

Sorry for the self-praise, but I had to tell that somebody because me playing so badly and having bad back problems, because of which I couldn't even sit properly anymore, created a very bad mood for myself. And that was affecting everything in my life, especially university. But I hope that bad time is over now! Thanks for reading/listening. :)

sheets
11-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Mikon, I'm a highschool player and I really enjoyed watching your strokes. Gives me a point to try and work up too I also liked your styles how you kind of counterpunched but once you got that short ball you really stepped in and attacked the ball. Great game.

dunlo
11-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Nice game.
What do u do for footwork?
Thanks.

dunlo
11-28-2009, 11:28 PM
As you hit FH racquet stops at takeback,should there be a flowed motion as fh starts?

NLBwell
11-29-2009, 12:30 AM
On the first serve, you don't seem to get all the loading you should - there are more miles per hour in there - think of a catapult which isn't pulled back quite all the way. Forehand is good and you can tell you played a lot on clay by your ability to move to use it as much as possible. I'm surprised you do as well as you do with the backhand you have - a tribute again to your excellent movement forward to take advantage of opportunities as well as sideways protecting your backhand corner. You need to get your body weight into the slice backhand. It tends to float because you aren't getting your weight into it and are hitting under it rather than through it. It did seem to cause a lot of errors by opponents, though - shows that variety can be destructive. I'm sure you hit a lot more topspin backhands (as %age) on clay since you have more time to do that

MasturB
11-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Hey Mikro... I know this is OT, but are you the same Mikro that's an ADMIN for t3nnnis.tv? lol

LeeD
11-29-2009, 09:34 AM
I know you don't want to hear this....
But looking again at your vids, your groundes are very JimCourier 'sh, not bad at all, good up to any level. BUT.
YOU being German, and a history of big servers ala Becker/Stich, why would you be happy with your 80% speed serve? Not saying you have to hit 130 all the time, but you want it as a weapon for when you need it.
You'll never get past 120 with your motion now.
Why pass up a possible weapon when it requires only 50 a day, twice a day, 3 times a week to practice.
LENGTHEN your service stroke, move into the court more.

USERNAME
11-29-2009, 10:17 AM
But looking again at your vids, your groundes are very JimCourier 'sh, not bad at all, good up to any level. BUT.
YOU being German, and a history of big servers ala Becker/Stich, why would you be happy with your 80% speed serve? Not saying you have to hit 130 all the time, but you want it as a weapon for when you need it.
Why pass up a possible weapon when it requires only 50 a day, twice a day, 3 times a week to practice.

I dont know. I use a fairly straight takeback on my serve and can break 120. U know who else uses the straight takeback, A-Rod, and we all know he can break 120 lol. Just gotta use ur body a little more with this type of serve.

LeeD
11-29-2009, 10:23 AM
120 is paltry on the tour.
I served over 125/into 130's consistently, didn't do much.
OP has a short, stunted motion. You say Roddick has a similar motion, and I agree. But Roddick is not normal, uses more torso and stomach, and moves into the court more. How many players can serve over 120 with Roddick's motion? You can, but how many others?
If your opponent KNOWs you top your serves at 120, they won't need to worry much except for placements.
At his level, I'm talking, not mine.

ttbrowne
11-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Good stuff.
On your FH, have you ever tried to keep your left arm up a little longer and more level before you come thru to hit the ball?

USERNAME
11-29-2009, 10:07 PM
OP has a short, stunted motion. You say Roddick has a similar motion, and I agree. But Roddick is not normal, uses more torso and stomach, and moves into the court more. How many players can serve over 120 with Roddick's motion? You can, but how many others?
If your opponent KNOWs you top your serves at 120, they won't need to worry much except for placements.

I dont top out at 120, 128 is the fastest RECORDED serve I got. I have gotten quite a few that felt and looked faster, just didnt have a speedgun on me at the time. And at 110-125 I can really dial in the placement which makes it easy to move players at the D1-challenger level around to set up points, also gets me quite a few aces. I dont really know many people who use a straight takeback because they were taught a different way, as for me I like the straight motion because Im doing less things before contact.

mikro112
11-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Mikon, I'm a highschool player and I really enjoyed watching your strokes. Gives me a point to try and work up too I also liked your styles how you kind of counterpunched but once you got that short ball you really stepped in and attacked the ball. Great game.
Thanks, but who's Mikon? j/k. Keep up practicing hard and you'll see improvements in your game!

Nice game.
What do u do for footwork?
Thanks.
Nothing in particular. However, I'm currently working on improving my footwork even more, because I know it could be better. I started going to the gym and strengthening my legs. Also, I'm doing some sprint training on court as well.

As you hit FH racquet stops at takeback,should there be a flowed motion as fh starts?
I'm not sure, if I understand you correctly. You were asking, if my FH motion shouldn't be fluid, instead of stop&go, right? Well, I assume there are all kinds of FH motions and I'm using this motion since many years with great success. However, in the last one or two weeks (since my back is getting better), I started accelerating my motion much more than before, which gives me better results.

On the first serve, you don't seem to get all the loading you should - there are more miles per hour in there - think of a catapult which isn't pulled back quite all the way. Forehand is good and you can tell you played a lot on clay by your ability to move to use it as much as possible. I'm surprised you do as well as you do with the backhand you have - a tribute again to your excellent movement forward to take advantage of opportunities as well as sideways protecting your backhand corner. You need to get your body weight into the slice backhand. It tends to float because you aren't getting your weight into it and are hitting under it rather than through it. It did seem to cause a lot of errors by opponents, though - shows that variety can be destructive. I'm sure you hit a lot more topspin backhands (as %age) on clay since you have more time to do that
Yeah, you're right! During that part of the season, where the video was made, I wasn't very comfortable with my serve, so I took some power off to achieve a higher percentage with serves at a decent speed. As mentioned above, I'm started going to the gym to strengthen my whole body, including my legs. I hope that this will help me to serve harder in the future. For the movement, thanks for your compliment! In the past, I always felt more comfortable hitting forehands, so I started moving around my backhand a lot. This was mainly caused by mental problems about my backhand. I was always complaining about my BH motion and its hitting point, but a week ago, all of the sudden, I seem to have found my backhand. Since then, I'm hitting more backhands, but still, if I have the chance to attack with my FH I do that, no matter where I stand on the court. Thanks for pointing out the slice issue. I kind of knew this, but your comment will help me memorizing what I did wrong.

Hey Mikro... I know this is OT, but are you the same Mikro that's an ADMIN for t3nnnis.tv? lol
The username is kind of similar, eh? Why do you want to know? :D

See my reply above. I'm working on it! But thanks for pointing it out. In comparison to Becker or Stich, my game is not based on serve, because I'm not as tall as those two. (I'm only 5"10'). I certainly hope that working out in the gym will help me to get more power in my shots, and especially my serve. Also, I'll try your recommendation to lengthen my service stroke. I'll probably try to take it back ever further. However, in the match I described in my post above, I actually tried jumping more aggressively and to lenghten the swing forward. That worked really great. I agree nonetheless that I have to practice serves more often.

I dont know. I use a fairly straight takeback on my serve and can break 120. U know who else uses the straight takeback, A-Rod, and we all know he can break 120 lol. Just gotta use ur body a little more with this type of serve.
True dat. I'm going to try to use my upper body more, similar to what Roddick does. Plus an aggressive jump into the serve.

Speed is not everything though. If you can only serve hard, without any placement that is worse than serving a little slower with good placement. IMO, you need variety and placement. Speed comes third in my book.

Good stuff.
On your FH, have you ever tried to keep your left arm up a little longer and more level before you come thru to hit the ball?
No, actually I haven't. I'm going to try that next time! Thanks for the tip.

---

Thanks for all your replies! I'm really trying to borrow a camcoder from somebody to make a current video of my game.

LeeD
11-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Good I got the answer...
Like 30 years ago, maybe one more, I was timed 4 out of 7 at 129's. DickStockton was slower (was top 20 in the world), RaulRameriz slower, so I was maybe in the middle of the road, pro division. Second amateur, and lefty.
I don't think you should be happy with a 130 serve. You can do better. You also don't need to hit it EVERY time, maybe more like one out of 5 first serves. But practicing a faster serve is a requirement to break into 6.0's
OP has a weak serve, you can see that, and a weak sliced backhand. Anyone 5.5 would just pick and sit at his backhand, to get tentative slices back.
What what can be more tentative than his overhead? Pure 50 mph push.
And 5.0 low volley maybe, but technique is off and movement very defensive.

pushing_wins
11-30-2009, 02:21 PM
I dont top out at 120, 128 is the fastest RECORDED serve I got. I have gotten quite a few that felt and looked faster, just didnt have a speedgun on me at the time. And at 110-125 I can really dial in the placement which makes it easy to move players at the D1-challenger level around to set up points, also gets me quite a few aces. I dont really know many people who use a straight takeback because they were taught a different way, as for me I like the straight motion because Im doing less things before contact.

please post video of your serve

you must have one of the best serves here.

pushing_wins
11-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Good I got the answer...
Like 30 years ago, maybe one more, I was timed 4 out of 7 at 129's. DickStockton was slower (was top 20 in the world), RaulRameriz slower, so I was maybe in the middle of the road, pro division. Second amateur, and lefty.
I don't think you should be happy with a 130 serve. You can do better. You also don't need to hit it EVERY time, maybe more like one out of 5 first serves. But practicing a faster serve is a requirement to break into 6.0's
OP has a weak serve, you can see that, and a weak sliced backhand. Anyone 5.5 would just pick and sit at his backhand, to get tentative slices back.
What what can be more tentative than his overhead? Pure 50 mph push.
And 5.0 low volley maybe, but technique is off and movement very defensive.

129 with a wood racquet

what was your highest ranking?

LeeD
11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I played with new KramerProStaffs, but for the serve contest, most of us GGPark'ers used either the Head Pro or the Yonnex's Green OPS's, very stiff and little air drag.
Remember one important thing. The old rackets were 27" SMALLER headed, so the sweet spot was much higher than the modern big hoops. Higher sweetspot means more leverage for faster serves.
I was a ranked top 20 NorCal B player, but played only A or Open tournaments, going 4 and 5 rounds in the PRO Qualifiers for the TransAmerica tournament.
I had the big lefty serve thing going, pretty quick, and some good topspin 2HBH lobs.
In Q's, you played mostly college level or top B and A players, so you never know what the AVERAGE level play was going to be. Obviously, not very high, if I can win 3 rounds.
I lost to JoaroSoares one year, RussellSimpson the next. Look them up for their rankings the following years, like around '80. I'm not ashamed I lost badly to either.

xFullCourtTenniSx
11-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Funny... The world number 1 averages around 120 mph on first serves... I bet you're surprised he isn't getting killed out there.

And 80% max speed with heavy spin and great placement does just fine as long as you can break 100. If you can break 110 or 120 doing that, you're set.

LeeD, I say you're filled with crap or your measuring technology back there was WAY off (which I'm 100% sure it was, but I say you're filled with crap too).

129 mph serve with a wood racket and you're #1 in the world with your serve alone! Sampras didn't even break 120 mph frequently his first few years on the tour WITH A GRAPHITE! Edberg is far from a weak server, and 100 mph would be his max speed on the first serve! McEnroe served 80s-90s and was known as a great server in his time! If you can consistently serve even in the 120s back then WITH A WOOD RACKET on the type of grass they had back then (even on hard courts), then you SHOULD be #1 in the world if you can place your serve even somewhat decently and put away easy volleys. If you knock anything close to 130 inside the lines, they won't get it back with a wood racket. The face is just too small to get on the ball accurately.

If you really did have a serve in the 120s, you must've had a terrible game not to make it even into the top 100s! You must've had the worst EVERYTHING in order to screw it up with THAT serve! That, or your service percentage was pathetically low cause you were too dumb to spin it in at 100 mph and kill everyone with that serve. Your real service speed was probably somewhere around 70.

LeeD
12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
You might read some posts before you sprout off like an idiot.
I never claimed 129 with wood rackets. Did you remember to read "Yonex Green OPS" ? That racket can serve faster than anything TODAY. If you don't understand why, come back with a post and I'll explain why.
LowellBarnhardt for #1 Amateur also borrowed the Yonex.
A person's fastest serve at a serve contest is always going to be at least faster than 10 mph than what they do in a match. And you quote AVERAGE first serve speed, which is much lower than FASTEST service speeds.
Are you dumb?
And yes, I keep saying I was a 4.5 or B player at the time. What part of that do you not understand.
A lefty with a big serve and quick movements, a 2hbh with really consistent topspin lobs, but still a B player.
Once again, or you dumb?

pushing_wins
12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Funny... The world number 1 averages around 120 mph on first serves... I bet you're surprised he isn't getting killed out there.

And 80% max speed with heavy spin and great placement does just fine as long as you can break 100. If you can break 110 or 120 doing that, you're set.

LeeD, I say you're filled with crap or your measuring technology back there was WAY off (which I'm 100% sure it was, but I say you're filled with crap too).

129 mph serve with a wood racket and you're #1 in the world with your serve alone! Sampras didn't even break 120 mph frequently his first few years on the tour WITH A GRAPHITE! Edberg is far from a weak server, and 100 mph would be his max speed on the first serve! McEnroe served 80s-90s and was known as a great server in his time! If you can consistently serve even in the 120s back then WITH A WOOD RACKET on the type of grass they had back then (even on hard courts), then you SHOULD be #1 in the world if you can place your serve even somewhat decently and put away easy volleys. If you knock anything close to 130 inside the lines, they won't get it back with a wood racket. The face is just too small to get on the ball accurately.

If you really did have a serve in the 120s, you must've had a terrible game not to make it even into the top 100s! You must've had the worst EVERYTHING in order to screw it up with THAT serve! That, or your service percentage was pathetically low cause you were too dumb to spin it in at 100 mph and kill everyone with that serve. Your real service speed was probably somewhere around 70.

+1

10char

USERNAME
12-01-2009, 07:19 PM
please post video of your serve

you must have one of the best serves here.

If I ever get a vid, Ill post it. I dont waste time recording myself and my coach rarely brings out his cam. If u dont believe me thats cool :)

LeeD
12-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Pushing W, are you also dumb?

mikro112
12-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Guys, this is my thread so please stop insulting each other. If you want to do that, there is nothing I can do to prevent it. But then please do it somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Bungalo Bill
12-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Not to stop the fueding between you two (I actually like it because it toughens you guys up and helps ensure your info can be backed up by your research. So it forces you to research! lol). But the Yonex Green OPS is a racquet I used to play with. It isn't wood, it was aluminum (which I am sure you knew). It is where my serving days matured and I could pound the ball with that racquet on my serve. The racquet was great for serves and terrible for the arm.

I still have that racquet as a collectors item. :) Fued away now. :)

NLBwell
12-02-2009, 12:38 PM

I have no idea if what LeeD says is true, but there isn't any reason for it not to be. The 3 or 4 mph you get going from wood to graphite isn't a big deal when returning big serves. Colin Dibley was not #1 in the world because he had the biggest (145mph) serve (of course he would have been ranked lower without it). There are quite a few amateurs with bigger serves than many of the top pros. Even in golf, the longest hitting amateurs out-drive most (if not all) pros. The rest of your post about the importance of spin and placement (talking about Edberg, etc.) was spot on. Speed is not the most important thing.

Incidentally, I played for years with the green OPS Yonex 8500 - a great racket.

MasturB
12-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey Mikro, I wanted to PM you, but you don't accept PM's on here.

Is there something wrong with t3nnis.tv?

I keep getting an error message. I posted on the forum under the name GameFederer and I see you replied, but I can't read it. Everytime I try to log in I get the same error message. Sometimes the homepage (not logged in) will load and sometimes I get the error message too.

mikro112
12-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey Mikro, I wanted to PM you, but you don't accept PM's on here.

Is there something wrong with t3nnis.tv?

I keep getting an error message. I posted on the forum under the name GameFederer and I see you replied, but I can't read it. Everytime I try to log in I get the same error message. Sometimes the homepage (not logged in) will load and sometimes I get the error message too.

I have emailed you to the email address you have been using at t3nnis.

mr.soc.....

mikro112
01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
New video coming up soon:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/mikro112/FILE0005-new.gif

mikro112
01-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Here is a video from my warmup from yesterday's practice match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSIpDRQKA2o

The match and the video that belongs to the gif above will come in the next days!

If you have any comments or tips feel free to post!

LeeD
01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
??????????????
I don't get it.
Post # 1 looks like a good college player with long hair.
This last post looks like a different player who's not nearly as accomplished.
I just can't figure out computers! :oops::oops:

smoothtennis
01-13-2010, 11:47 AM
??????????????
I don't get it.

LeeD - pull you head out, LOL. THEY ARE WARMING UP IN VID2. VID1 was a real match. Were you asking earlier who was dumb? :mrgreen:

LeeD
01-13-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm dumb!!!!
First vid is a tall skinny, long haired, sandy haired pretty good player.
This last vid looks like a shorter, stockier, shorter haired, darker haired not quite so good player.
You don't see the difference?

mikro112
01-13-2010, 04:25 PM
??????????????
I don't get it.

I'm dumb!!!!
First vid is a tall skinny, long haired, sandy haired pretty good player.
This last vid looks like a shorter, stockier, shorter haired, darker haired not quite so good player.
You don't see the difference?

I'm not sure what you're seeing but it was me in both videos. The only difference is that my hair was longer in the first video. That I'm looking smaller in the second video is probably because the camera was standing really close to me. ;) And yes, we were warming up in the 2nd video. :D

vincent_tennis
02-03-2010, 03:19 AM
The username is kind of similar, eh? Why do you want to know? :D

Same dp as well ;)

mikro112
02-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Same dp as well ;)

What does that mean?

mikro112
02-09-2010, 12:58 AM
New video. More from this session and the other one (from which I posted the warm-up) coming soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS-wPaDgChM

mikro112
02-10-2010, 01:50 AM
Part 2 from the same practice session!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz7JaBYop0k

LeeD
02-10-2010, 09:19 AM
:):)
Good stuff....
You look much better once warmed up, after the initial stiffness I mean.
And your movement, after 2:00, look like yourself again.

mikro112
08-03-2010, 05:46 AM
New video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8JjFxKzr28

Parts 2 (and maybe 3, if necessary) are coming tonight or tomorrow.

Comments are welcomed!

Here are the match stats, which include all points from the upcoming part(s).

Unforced Errors: Red: 19 | Blue: 15
Forced Errors: Red: 16 | Blue: 14
Winners: Red: 7 | Blue: 7
First Serves Total: Red: 39 | Blue: 38
First Serves In: Red: 25 | Blue: 25
First Serve %: Red: 64% | Blue: 66%
Aces: Red: 4 | Blue: 0
Doublefaults: Red: 2 | Blue: 0

Enjoy.

supineAnimation
08-03-2010, 06:48 AM

Comments are welcomed!

Enjoy.
I'm assuming you're the guy in blue since we can't really see the guy in red very well. You have nice strokes, but you might try using a wider stance when you land after your split step and even when you're setting up to hit. Having a wider stance naturally lowers your hips and allows you to explode up and towards you target with more force, and it gives you a more balanced foundation when you swing.

WBF
08-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Nice videos, thanks for posting them!

mikro112
08-04-2010, 02:06 AM
I'm assuming you're the guy in blue since we can't really see the guy in red very well. You have nice strokes, but you might try using a wider stance when you land after your split step and even when you're setting up to hit. Having a wider stance naturally lowers your hips and allows you to explode up and towards you target with more force, and it gives you a more balanced foundation when you swing.
Thanks for the tip. I actually tried that yesterday when returning serves, and I thought I returned a little better. However, my opponent wasn't the world's greatest server. So, I have to try it again today.

Nice videos, thanks for posting them!

Thanks! :) Glad you enjoyed it! THe second part is uploading right now.

shell
08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
enjoyed watching your match vid! What nice courts to play on.

mtommer
08-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Nice vids!

BTW, tell the guy in red from the last vid post that he's telegraphing his shots. I was able to predict ball placement for almost everyshot before he hit it. (Since you said it was a practice match I thought he/you might find it interesting to know)

Djlpenguin
10-04-2010, 02:05 PM
a stat you should also have is break point chances and break points converted.

Dreamer
10-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Comments are welcomed!

Enjoy.

Man I loved your edited scoring! woohoo

I enjoy your intelligent play style and I'm also impressed by that very compact backhand. However I feel that the limiting reagent in your ground strokes is your forehand take back. I feel it really gets in the way. It seems you have adapted in a few ways, but I feel that you would be able to assert your game more consistently and aggressively with a simpler take back. What are your thoughts on this?

Dreamer
10-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Man I loved your edited scoring! woohoo

I enjoy your intelligent play style and I'm also impressed by that very compact backhand. However I feel that the limiting reagent in your ground strokes is your forehand take back. I feel it really gets in the way. It seems you have adapted in a few ways, but I feel that you would be able to assert your game more consistently and aggressively with a simpler take back. What are your thoughts on this?

I take back what I said about your take back. It actually is very simple. Could I ask you if you have problems with low or high balls forehand side?

aphex
10-05-2010, 03:48 AM

+1

10char

+2