PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for my serve?

[ GTR ]
10-07-2009, 11:28 PM
This is me now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbreJMenCow

This was me last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5AsWnNMYmU

volusiano
10-08-2009, 12:14 AM
I think your serve a year ago looks better than your serve now, unless you had the videos backward. Never a good idea to be stepping up the left foot on a serve: prone to foot fault. Although some pro like Safin does take a small step up with his left foot. He's been called foot fault before.

10-08-2009, 05:57 AM
all that moving around with the feet brings up balance issues.
How do you feel about your toss? Is it consistent? I have to
wonder if you are concerned to set your feet more, due to
toss location?

SystemicAnomaly
10-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I do see improvement from the earlier video.

The back leg bothers me more than the front leg. When the right leg comes around, it kick way off to the fight side. This tends to slow down the body rotation. The hips should rotate first and then transfer power to the upper body (torso) rotation. By kicking the leg so much to the right, your rotation transfer is less than ideal. That back leg should kick toward the back fence instead of kicking to the right.

Unfortunately, from this video angle, I cannot see your elbow location for your trophy position. I suspect that it may be on the low side, but I'm not certain. The elbow should be slightly lower than the back shoulder. It should pretty much be in line with the shoulder tilt at the trophy position. A lower elbow position may yield more spin but it can can rob you of power and make the timing of your upward swing more difficult.

LeeD
10-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Wow, you grew.
I like the older footwork better, but it's not right either.
Your modern footwork has been covered, and I agree with the posters. The moving front foot bothers me, as does the wide swing of the back.
But your swingpath is soooo circular, I wonder if you're wasting energy going around the ball rather than towards the ball.
Nice body movement INTO the court after strike, something that few 4.0's seem to do nowadaze.
Seems your motion is rushed, with no hesitation whatsoever, something that can be very good, but not easy to replicate with toss and timing.
Bottom line, you're close to grown now, so how fast IS your serve, does it garner winners or weak returns, and are you consistent with it.
Is it the best part of your game or one of the weaknesses?

wyutani
10-08-2009, 09:41 AM
I think your serve a year ago looks better than your serve now, unless you had the videos backward. Never a good idea to be stepping up the left foot on a serve: prone to foot fault. Although some pro like Safin does take a small step up with his left foot. He's been called foot fault before.

wtf, a twist.

LeeD
10-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Upon further review....
Maybe what I consider your circular path could be your footwork here. You move the front foot to close your stance. Why not close it from the get go? Then you eliminate another wasted movement.
Your forward swing looks fast and precise. Your prepwork looks complicated and hard to replicate. Simplyfying everything else in the prep would give you consistency.