PDA

View Full Version : who said Nadal press conferences are boring?

Cesc Fabregas
10-08-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5cUPiOmPQs

Great interview.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I did, and they are, they should just ask uncle Toni instead if there is something they want too know about Rafael

jamesblakefan#1
10-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I did, and they are, they should just ask uncle Toni instead if there is something they want too know about Rafael

This is true, Uncle Toni is a lot more forthcoming with the press than Nadal. Not saying Nadal lies, he just isn't as outspoken as Toni tends to be.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-08-2009, 11:43 AM
This is true, Uncle Toni is a lot more forthcoming with the press than Nadal. Not saying Nadal lies, he just isn't as outspoken as Toni tends to be.
Well yeah, and imo what comes out of Nadals mouth is what Uncle T planted there. "Make everybody happy"

Ledigs
10-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Nadal press conferences are hilarious. The press love him because he's warm and conversational and not stand-offish

Ledigs
10-08-2009, 12:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iex_pUPk3Ac

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Nadal press conferences are hilarious. The press love him because he's warm and conversational and not stand-offish
We are talking about Rafael Nadal, the tennisplayer from Mallorca.

bolo
10-08-2009, 12:40 PM

Great interview.

the video interviews are the best. Funny/expressive guy, some of the compilations are pretty good.

P_Agony
10-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Great interview.

Nadal's Press Confernces are great, I love watching those. Heck, I would rather watch a Nadal conference than watch the guy play (not being hateful here, I truly do like his press confernces, his English is fun to listen to).

Ledigs
10-08-2009, 12:42 PM
i think he's very funny

Ledigs
10-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Okay well.... just because it's not your sense of humour doesn't mean it's not mine. He's not making jokes every second but he is entertaining

coyfish
10-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Its not that Nadal's interviews are boring. Its that they lack substance. Spanish is my native language and Ive seen his interviews in spanish and they still leave much to be desired. The guy is just not an eloquent speaker / not the most intelligent. What can you expect from a guy who spends his life playing tennis I guess.

This interview is just like any other. The only excitement was questions regarding the guy ran up to him which Nadal had no influence in. He took it well because Nadal is genuine and a nice guy.

This is a Nadal interview in english

Commentator - Nadal, great match today. What are you doing to prepare for your match tommorow against XXX player.

Nadal - well, eh, yes XXX is a very good player. Very big "insert forehand or serve here." I will have to play my berry best tennis to beat him. I will try my best.

etc. etc. etc.

Always the same generic response. Wish he would insert some meaning into those interviews but thats just me.

No question federer's, blakes, roddicks, etc. interviews are more enlightening.

Ledigs
10-08-2009, 12:51 PM
That's odd. I have posted a couple of his other interviews here and they are much more in depth than what you say.

Cesc Fabregas
10-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Djoker is always a good interview aswell.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Its not that Nadal's interviews are boring. Its that they lack substance. Spanish is my native language and Ive seen his interviews in spanish and they still leave much to be desired. The guy is just not an eloquent speaker / not the most intelligent. What can you expect from a guy who spends his life playing tennis I guess.

This interview is just like any other. The only excitement was questions regarding the guy ran up to him which Nadal had no influence in. He took it well because Nadal is genuine and a nice guy.

This is a Nadal interview in english

Commentator - Nadal, great match today. What are you doing to prepare for your match tommorow against XXX player.

Nadal - well, eh, yes XXX is a very good player. Very big "insert forehand or serve here." I will have to play my berry best tennis to beat him. I will try my best.

etc. etc. etc.

Always the same generic response. Wish he would insert some meaning into those interviews but thats just me.

No question federer's, blakes, roddicks, etc. interviews are more enlightening.

Great post !

P_Agony
10-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Great post !

Nadal is very humble at interviews and can always provide a good laugh, plus hearing his English is always a lot of fun.

Ledigs
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
i think they are enlightening. I also think his blogs are not generic at all, but to each his own.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Nadal is very humble at interviews and can always provide a good laugh, plus hearing his English is always a lot of fun.
Thats because he doesnt know how to express all excuses in English, and the reason its funny listening too is because it sounds horrible.

Ledigs
10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
He provides at least one good laugh in almost all his press conferences. Federer never does.

Also, if you aren't interested in the player, then I guess you wouldn't find his interviews that important. But if you are, then they are.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-08-2009, 01:01 PM
He provides at least one good laugh in almost all his press conferences. Federer never does.

Also, if you aren't interested in the player, then I guess you wouldn't find his interviews that important. But if you are, then they are.
As far as i know they are not there too be funny?

Ledigs
10-08-2009, 01:04 PM
No but that isn't relevant.

bolo
10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Yes federer needs to loosen up a bit, but maybe that's just the swiss way and there is not all that can be done.

P_Agony
10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Thats because he doesnt know how to express all excuses in English, and the reason its funny listening too is because it sounds horrible.

I have to disagree. I love his light attitude. Maybe it's just for the cameras, but it really looks like he understands this is just a game, and you win some and lose some.

flyinghippos101
10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Well, Nadal press conferences are pretty boring. It's just generic comment after generic comment. But really, the same can definately be said for Fed though. I mean, press conferences are just for the press to ask generic questions, might as well respond with equally generic answers.

The-Champ
10-08-2009, 04:22 PM

federer is interesting as a dead fish!

RalphNYC
10-08-2009, 04:46 PM
This is Nadal and Tony absolutely cracking up (click more info for a translation)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqXiezkrFok

flyinghippos101
10-08-2009, 05:52 PM

As far as i know they are not there too be funny?

Come on guys, don't let yet another thread devolve into another flame war. Make love not war. :)

tudwell
10-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Yo, Nadal, Imma let you finish, but Andy Roddick has the best press conferences of all time!

veroniquem
10-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Who said Nadal's press conf are boring?

Noone! they're a lot of fun. Nadal's combination of matter of fact dead pan humor, ingenuity and funky English is almost always highly entertaining.

veroniquem
10-08-2009, 06:16 PM
We are talking about Rafael Nadal, the tennisplayer from Mallorca.

Yes we are. The guy who's fun, sexy, sometimes goofy, charming and candid. Him, that's right.

mandy01
10-08-2009, 08:13 PM
They are boring.Sorry.I found nothing funny personally.He's not exactly witty and is rarely candid ( unless we're talking about the ATP schedule and doping rules :lol:).

JeMar
10-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Yo, Nadal, Imma let you finish, but Andy Roddick has the best press conferences of all time!

Brilliant. Topical.

mandy01
10-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Yo, Nadal, Imma let you finish, but Andy Roddick has the best press conferences of all time! LOLz.Yep.Roddick's pressers rule :lol:

edmondsm
10-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Warm yes. Conversational? The man barely speaks English. When he does talk, he's the king of talking yet saying nothing.

The press don't like that. They want one liners that they can use as a headline. Have you ever seen an article about Nadal called, "He's a good player, no?"

edmondsm
10-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Yes we are. The guy who's fun, sexy, sometimes goofy, charming and candid. Him, that's right.

You obviously love him for his tennis.........groupie.

feetofclay
10-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes federer needs to loosen up a bit, but maybe that's just the swiss way and there is not all that can be done.

I have an Austrian aunt and according to her Federer is typically swiss, which is probably not surprising. She says that they have an expression which describes the swiss as 'buttoned up'. I think that just about IMO describes Mr. Federer.

aphex
10-09-2009, 12:27 AM
http://www.linguaset.com/images/stories/voiceover_monkey300.png

feetofclay
10-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Warm yes. Conversational? The man barely speaks English. When he does talk, he's the king of talking yet saying nothing.

The press don't like that. They want one liners that they can use as a headline. Have you ever seen an article about Nadal called, "He's a good player, no?"

Was that the reason for Nadal being given this award?

Ana Ivanovic and Rafael Nadal have been awarded the 2008 Ambassadors of the Year award by the International Tennis Writer's Association (ITWA). The award is given to the players who are most consistent and open in cooperating with the world media.

aphex
10-09-2009, 12:56 AM

Ana Ivanovic and Rafael Nadal have been awarded the 2008 Ambassadors of the Year award by the International Tennis Writer's Association (ITWA). The award is given to the players who are most consistent and open in cooperating with the world media.

it's because they ***** themselves to the media the most.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Uhm yeah ok whatever...
Too me Nadal is extremely boring and he cant speak his own mind, even another poster who is Spanish said this!! He is the same way in Spanish interwiews,everything he says is what Uncle Toni wants him too say.
Extremely boring and grumpy.
The funniest thing he has ever done was probably go out with Xisca until 8,05 pm when he should have been home 7,45!!

aphex
10-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Uhm yeah ok whatever...
Too me Nadal is extremely boring and he cant speak his own mind, even another poster who is Spanish said this!! He is the same way in Spanish interwiews,everything he says is what Uncle Toni wants him too say.
Extremely boring and grumpy.
The funniest thing he has ever done was probably go out with Xisca until 8,05 pm when he should have been home 7,45!!

lolol

this sums up the most boring person on planet earth

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-09-2009, 01:56 AM
lolol

this sums up the most boring person on planet earth
Hey aphex, how are you?
Yeah, imo he is!

aphex
10-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Hey aphex, how are you?
Yeah, imo he is!

all good my friend :)
and you?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-09-2009, 03:58 AM
all good my friend :)
and you?
Good to hear that
Im great thanx

P_Agony
10-09-2009, 05:08 AM

Wouldn't go that far. Fed can be pretty entertainning himself at the press confrences.

However, the king of great press confrences has to be Roddick. Too good.

sh@de
10-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Wouldn't go that far. Fed can be pretty entertainning himself at the press confrences.

However, the king of great press confrences has to be Roddick. Too good.

Roddick is a candidate for GOATness in press conferences.

coyfish
10-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Can we post a video of one of these "funny," or "candid," interviews??? I think people mistake his broken english for humor. For some reason everyone thinks the incident with the guy running up and kissing him was hillarious. Nadal didn't do a thing. He just stood there.

I don't know . . . I think hes a nice guy who smiles a lot but im wondering where you guys are finding all of this "humor." The only thing thats occasionally funny is when he messes up his english. I watch his interviews in spanish and they aren't any better . . .

I understand sports interviews are loaded with generic responses. Thats unavoidable. But ive never heard Nadal say anything that wasn't obvious. Djoker, fed, blake, murray, roddick, etc. usually make a somewhat englightening comment about their respective situations.

Ledigs
10-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Roddick is an extrovert. Nadal is shy. I think he does really well for being shy.
I think in his press conferences he is a bit more generic (but i enjoy those) but in other interviews he makes me laugh and is charming

http://www.nadalnews.com/2009/10/08/cure-for-the-flu/

World Beater
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
nadal is far from humorous...but some find his mannerisms and broken english charming.

lol. nadal and wit don't really go together in the same sentence.

Baikalic
10-09-2009, 11:44 AM
You know there's not much tennis going on people start harping/praising a players' interview style/personality.

In any case, nadal interviews strike me to be pretty much the same as most other players' who have less than decent control of the English language. Del potro has a similar style IMO.

Going beyond that, few players are very insightful or bright when responding to questions. I saw press conferences of Murray, Monfils, Blake, Cilic, and Soderling and all of them were essentially the same "I was playing well/not playing well" followed by "the weather was _____ so it was tough."

Roddick and Safin have the most interesting interviews; they always have something to complain about/make fun of.

namelessone
10-09-2009, 12:11 PM
You know there's not much tennis going on people start harping/praising a players' interview style/personality.

In any case, nadal interviews strike me to be pretty much the same as most other players' who have less than decent control of the English language. Del potro has a similar style IMO.

Going beyond that, few players are very insightful or bright when responding to questions. I saw press conferences of Murray, Monfils, Blake, Cilic, and Soderling and all of them were essentially the same "I was playing well/not playing well" followed by "the weather was _____ so it was tough."

Roddick and Safin have the most interesting interviews; they always have something to complain about/make fun of.

Very good post and I agree with what you said. 90% of players give out generic responses,including guys who speak very good english(murray,fed etc) but somehow only Nadal stands out for some people a.k.a the haters. The only two people out of the top20 who regularly spew out memorable catchphrases at press conferences are roddick and novak. That's it. The rest of them are just as generic as Nadal,and for some of them it's worse because they know more english than Nadal. As some people have already pointed out,Nadal is also generic in Spanish. That's true. Nadal,like 2/3 of players doesn't seem like he wants to do press conferences and watching some of these pressers I can see why. I would be bored too if they would ask me the same questions over and over again and in this day and age when the media can twist your words so many ways,many prefer to play it safe and just get the thing over with.

To me Nadal is funny,but in a goofy sort of way. Although his broken English has produced some funny lines(like "I have pain in my famous ***") the funniest thing about Nadal is his goofiness,how he manages to put himself in some awkward situations and still get out with a smile on his face. Off the top of my head I remember the banana incident,the bee incident(got a bee in his shirt and he was playing indoors from what I remember:)),the whole arranging of the bottles thing(superstition in sport always seemed funny to me),,when his mom called him during a press conference and he answered it,when he split his pants at an award show or something,when he sneaked into the espn studio at wimbledon(while another interview was going on) and so on.

I don't understand how some people can claim that player x or y is intelligent dumb,boring or whatever based on their interviews or on-court demeanour. Unless you know some of these people personally,you don't know crap about them because you don't know how they behave in private. There are very few athletes who wear their heart on their sleeves or speak their mind freely(safin is a good example,remember what he said about life on tour),so please stop acting like Nadal is the only one who acts generic in the public eye.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Very good post and I agree with what you said. 90% of players give out generic responses,including guys who speak very good english(murray,fed etc) but somehow only Nadal stands out for some people a.k.a the haters. The only two people out of the top20 who regularly spew out memorable catchphrases at press conferences are roddick and novak. That's it. The rest of them are just as generic as Nadal,and for some of them it's worse because they know more english than Nadal. As some people have already pointed out,Nadal is also generic in Spanish. That's true. Nadal,like 2/3 of players doesn't seem like he wants to do press conferences and watching some of these pressers I can see why. I would be bored too if they would ask me the same questions over and over again and in this day and age when the media can twist your words so many ways,many prefer to play it safe and just get the thing over with.

To me Nadal is funny,but in a goofy sort of way. Although his broken English has produced some funny lines(like "I have pain in my famous ***") the funniest thing about Nadal is his goofiness,how he manages to put himself in some awkward situations and still get out with a smile on his face. Off the top of my head I remember the banana incident,the bee incident(got a bee in his shirt and he was playing indoors from what I remember:)),the whole arranging of the bottles thing(superstition in sport always seemed funny to me),,when his mom called him during a press conference and he answered it,when he split his pants at an award show or something,when he sneaked into the espn studio at wimbledon(while another interview was going on) and so on.

I don't understand how some people can claim that player x or y is intelligent dumb,boring or whatever based on their interviews or on-court demeanour. Unless you know some of these people personally,you don't know crap about them because you don't know how they behave in private. There are very few athletes who wear their heart on their sleeves or speak their mind freely(safin is a good example,remember what he said about life on tour),so please stop acting like Nadal is the only one who acts generic in the public eye.

What you dont understand is obvious too other people, and vice versa, learn too respect that people have different opinions

bolo
10-09-2009, 12:32 PM

good post. Roddick is also not that interesting in press conferences, he is self-deprecating and belligerent, which is funny, but that gets old after
awhile.

You can tell nadal is sharp because when he feels like it he will contradict the interviewers, then give them the correct framework for thinking about their question and imo also provide them a better answer than what they started with. You saw that recently when people were talking about the career length issue. You also saw this at 2008 wimbledon when people were asking him about his improvements on grass. As he pointed out to the interviewers, he is better on all surfaces not just on grass; that he doesn't play on grass enough to just get better on that one surface.

namelessone
10-09-2009, 12:34 PM
What you don't understand is obvious too other people, and vice versa, learn to respect that people have different opinions

I have no problem with other people's opinions,I have a problem with the way some of them assume things about certain athletes just because of their public image. We don't know much about these guys and we need to accept that. Roddick seems like the most charismatic guy in the press conferences but I heard he can be quite the a**hole in the locker room but seeing as I don't know spend a lot of time with Andy I can't vouch for that. Same goes for the "angels" of the ATP like Rafa and Roger. The most famous case of the media turning on you was that of Phelps. While he was winning medals he was the golden boy,once he smoked pot he was Satan. Funny thing is he probably smoked pot when he was training to win those precious medals but hypocrisy runs very deep in the world.

90% of what you see in tennis and sports in general is PR. Because PR is firmly rooted in the gentlemans sport of tennis, nowadays most players have a policy of "live and let live",that's why you don't see as many digs at one another like in the past,because they know that the media will pick apart their every word.

namelessone
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
good post. Roddick is also not that interesting in press conferences, he is self-deprecating and belligerent, which is funny, but that gets old after
awhile.

You can tell nadal is sharp because when he feels like it he will contradict the interviewers, then give them the correct framework for thinking about their question and imo also provide them a better answer than what they started with. You saw that recently when people were talking about the career length issue. You also saw this at 2008 wimbledon when people were asking him about his improvements on grass. As he pointed out to the interviewers, he is better on all surfaces not just on grass; that he doesn't play on grass enough to just get better on that one surface.

I agree and I will add the rome ceremony episode where he basically encouraged djoker to do his routine where he imitates Nadal's antics,including the tugging of the pants,in front of the whole stadium. It showed that Nadal can make fun of himself so to speak and doesn't take these things too seriously. This kind of self-mockery showed that he has a good sense of humour and that he is a pretty smart guy when it comes to handling these kind of situations. Although the are good friends,djoker seemed pretty embarrased to do his routine in front of Rafa and after Rafa beat him.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I have no problem with other people's opinions,I have a problem with the way some of them assume things about certain athletes just because of their public image. We don't know much about these guys and we need to accept that. Roddick seems like the most charismatic guy in the press conferences but I heard he can be quite the a**hole in the locker room but seeing as I don't know spend a lot of time with Andy I can't vouch for that. Same goes for the "angels" of the ATP like Rafa and Roger. The most famous case of the media turning on you was that of Phelps. While he was winning medals he was the golden boy,once he smoked pot he was Satan. Funny thing is he probably smoked pot when he was training to win those precious medals but hypocrisy runs very deep in the world.

90% of what you see in tennis and sports in general is PR. Because PR is firmly rooted in the gentlemans sport of tennis, nowadays most players have a policy of "live and let live",that's why you don't see as many digs at one another like in the past,because they know that the media will pick apart their every word.

I agree, good post.
You obviously know what you are talking about.

mandy01
10-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I dont think anyone judged Nadal's character here.His interviews for whatever reasons are not exactly fun to read nor does he come across as witty or candid in them. . Dosent mean they're a judge of who he really is.Press conferences say very little about a person.

namelessone
10-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I dont think anyone judged Nadal's character here.His interviews for whatever reasons are not exactly fun to read nor does he come across as witty or candid in them . Dosent mean they're a judge of who he really is.

I was just saying that there is more to Nadal than his press conferences,which are generic like 2/3 of the goddam ATP. My problem is with the idea that only Nadal is "boring" or that he is the most "boring". If Nadal is boring so are most of the ATP'ers and like I said before in some of their cases it is worse,because they are more fluent in English than Rafa.

mandy01
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I was just saying that there is more to Nadal than his press conferences,which are generic like 2/3 of the goddam ATP. My problem is with the idea that only Nadal is "boring" or that he is the most "boring". If Nadal is boring so are most of the ATP'ers and like I said before in some of their cases it is worse,because they are more fluent in English than Rafa.
I've read his translated Spanish interviews and they're not more interesting .Language isnt the issue here.The type of answers he prefers to give are the ones that leave me dry.Dosent mean he's a boring person.What he says simply dosent fit into my taste hence I find it boring.
Besides,it dosent take one to be very fluent in order to be candid..
But again,thats his choice.

edmondsm
10-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Cooperative doesn't sell newspapers.

jamesblakefan#1
10-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Nadal is such a pain in the *****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acNUrlKp8t0&feature=related

Serendipitous
10-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Nadal is such a pain in the *****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acNUrlKp8t0&feature=related

Please let gj011 into your fan club.

By the way, what's your name so I can add you on facebook?

kOaMaster
10-10-2009, 11:59 AM
what's funny about this interview exactly? I mean, if you want funny interviews, you'd have to ask him in spanish.
I like roddick, djokovic a lot in interviews, thats entertaining. and I think those federer & nadal interviews are just always about the same in english. they are not too bad, but not too comfortable either in this language, not enough to play with it.
you should listen to interviews from federer in swiss german, that's a lot better too.

and who said nadal's english is good (we recently had this thread??)? you've got to be kidding, because it is NOT. it is english on a very basic level. sure he is articulate, but it wouldn't be enough for a B2...
I do not expect him to speak a lot better since he is a tennis player and not an interpreter, but tbh in real world you would never call this "good english".

jamesblakefan#1
10-10-2009, 01:22 PM

James Blake, of course. ;)

Jason Vorhees
10-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Facebook isn't cool.

Stick on the good side - MSN

Serendipitous
10-10-2009, 01:34 PM
James Blake, of course. ;)

Haha, seriously.

Please?

I emailed you using the feature here (I hope it works), so just email me back.

It should go to the email you used to make your account here. :cry:

jms007
10-11-2009, 04:17 PM
It's hard to judge anyone from press conferences. Some players are just naturally more open because they enjoy them, so they put more effort into saying beyond the expected. For others it's a necessity they have to sit through. I think Nadal seems like a pretty simple (and somewhat shy) guy. But you shouldn't confuse simplicity with unintelligence.