PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about corporate ceo's and execs...

MasturB
10-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Handing out the major trophies to the winner and runner up?

How do you feel about the CEO of Kia, a car company, presenting the Australian Open cup to the winner?

Thankfully we have big time sponsors, but is it necessary for their high profile executives, who have nothing to do with tennis, presenting the prestigious honors to the players?

I think the worst, is the US Open Trophy Presentation.

Bhagi Katbamna
10-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Certainly they have a right to if they put up millions of dollars.

Talker
10-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Certainly they have a right to if they put up millions of dollars.

Yep, it's money. And the presentation links the company with the winner.

timeisonmyside
10-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Nothing wrong with it. If they are the ones paying for it, they can do whatever they want. Anyways, most of them say only a quick word, present the trophy, and then let the players have their moment.

MasturB
10-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Isn't it already overkill because Lexus and Kia have their car logo on the net, or like Kia's logo is posted all over Rod Laver Arena?

burosky
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
If you were the CEO or Exec would you think it is overkill?

MasturB
10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
If you were the CEO or Exec would you think it is overkill?

That's not the point. I'm not looking at it from a CEO or exec's perspective because if they had it their way it'd be much worse.

cucio
10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
From a fan perspective I think it is a very small price to pay, considering all the money they contribute to the sport. Sure, when you think about it ultimately that money comes from us consumers, but their marketing department could choose other ways to invest that budget (TV ads, other sports...)

So if being at the trophy presentation makes them happy, well, they can knock themselves out. However I personally think it is not good marketing, it is too obvious and in the end they look like pathetic, cold-blooded money tellers trying to steal a bit of the winner's glory, the overall impact is negative.

jelle v
10-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't mind that much, but I do mind a little.. it's often very embarrassing to watch CEOs handing out trophies and giving a little speech.

ac3111
10-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, when there is too much money it ceases to be a sport...

Blinkism
10-08-2009, 04:06 PM
It's ok in my books.

We don't pay for tennis, they do. We contribute by watching commercials and buying merchandise, but it's the sponsors and advertisers who are the life-blood of professional tennis.

The level of advertising is fine by me.

maddogz32
10-08-2009, 05:15 PM
i think this thread's in the wrong spot

tennis_hand
10-09-2009, 12:18 AM
in this world, u can't live without commercials.

unless, u decide to be a caveman living in the Great Canyon.

Polvorin
10-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Well, when there is too much money it ceases to be a sport...

and we have a winner

ac3111
10-09-2009, 12:57 AM
and we have a winner

I wish it could be a winner but unfortunately it is a bitter truth. Take olympic games for example. From the time of late cold war to today it is a contest of the most efficient drugs not being detected and giving more performance. But since everyone is taking them then ok no harm done to the sport...
Well the harm is to the athletes who start having heart failures and health problems unsighted to us until they end up in a coffin.
But athletes is part of the sport...

And I always wondered why the NBA dream team that took part in the olympics was never tested for drugs... Maybe because they know they won't pass the test. And they won't pass it because how could they handle a nearly 90-100 match season of basketball and then go on playing if they were not on drugs...
But that's the moto, go on playing and taking drugs and don't worry, we have the cash and you won't get into any trouble, you won't get caught.
And this is one aspect of money killing sport...
There are others as well. Sponsorship can have positive aspects but when the money loads increase dramatically nothing can escape from the dark side...

And if Federer or Nadal were on drugs could anyone touch them? They have so big sponsors behind them with such cash flow that they look untouchable.

OTMPut
10-09-2009, 01:40 AM
That's not the point. I'm not looking at it from a CEO or exec's perspective because if they had it their way it'd be much worse.

Try organising an event from sponsorship.

I do not mind if they even ran an on court commercial before the prize ceremony.

batz
10-09-2009, 02:12 AM
The guy handing out the trophy is the same guy who signs-off the multi-million dollar sponsorship deal.

I have no problem with it.

MasturB
10-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't mind that much, but I do mind a little.. it's often very embarrassing to watch CEOs handing out trophies and giving a little speech.

Exactly.

You have the President of Tennis Australia, Rod Laver, and the CEO of Kia Motors standing on the stage during the trophy ceremony. What?

If they want to stand there, that's fine but I just find it stupid to have them giving a little speech and handing out the trophy.