PDA

View Full Version : How do you get yourself positive while on a losing streak?

YenNguyen
10-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I've just started playing competitive sets in august and I've played about 10-20 sets so far. The thing is that lately I've been on kind of a slump and lost I believe 5 to 8 sets in a row. Nowadays I just feel like I have no confidence when I play, and usually when I do, I usually get a lead and then when I mess myself up I always start thinking negative and "beat" myself for it. What do you guys do to get yourself positive or just thinking clearheaded while you start making mistakes or are on a losing streak?

wyutani
10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
man, safin asked this question many times....its all in the head man. its a journey you gotta go alone. just believe i guess.

mikro112
10-08-2009, 08:49 PM
The best tip, although it might sound stupid, is to play only one point at a time. Play your match point by point. Don't think about the overall score. Only focus on the current point. Once it's over, focus on (winning) the next one. Don't get angry, as errors (by you) or good shots of the opponent belong to the game of tennis.

And remember: There are NO important points. Each and every point gives you or your opponent only one more point! Each point is therefore worth the same. If you're ad-out, don't think about the "advantage", think and focus ONLY on winning that particular point (but don't try to win it because you are ad-out and you'd lose the game if you lose the point, win it because you should compete for winning every single point!). After you've won it and you're back to deuce, don't think about winning the service game or breaking your opponent. Think ONLY about winning the NEXT point!

Try that, and post what you've felt! You will get used to that thinking and won't get nervous anymore. In the last 3 month, I had 2 serious matches where I was down 5:1 or 5:2 in the second set, after winning the first. And in both matches, I won the second set, because I never thought about the overall score, only about each next point.

I've posted this in another thread and I think that might help you too. There is no such thing as losing streak and mistakes belong to the game of tennis. Also, in addition to what I posted in the quotes: Make sure to fire yourself up with a small come-on or fist-pump when you win important (!) points.

Also, as you're not a pro, HAVE FUN! That's the most important thing.

wyutani
10-08-2009, 08:49 PM
yes losing is fun.

Swissv2
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Just think about all the starving Malaysian babies that never get to play tennis.
And the poor Indian kids who have to search garbage dumps for food.
And that dirty little kitten that has a poop stain on its little butt, but can't wipe it off.

Then get back in there and play tennis!

volusiano
10-09-2009, 05:12 AM
If you've been in a slump and lost several matches in a row, that's not a necessarily bad thing because it means you've had a chance to play with better opponents several times in a row which means lots of opportunities to learn and improve. I would rather play with better opponents and lose than have easy wins over weaker opponents any day. Don't get me wrong, I like to win, too. But I just don't care if I lose, because it's not like I'm playing for money.

The one positive thing you can always have control over is that you're having fun playing tennis. That should be all that matters. If losing doesn't take away your having fun playing tennis, then losing shouldn't matter.

GuyClinch
10-09-2009, 05:39 AM
I'd play an inferior opponent. I find that if your playing just one friend of yours they can beat you for a long period of time - and then vice versa.

brad1730
10-09-2009, 06:59 AM
To get positive - I have to change things up. I have to have a new 'plan' that will allow me to focus my mental energy on executing the new plan, rather than on my lack of performance lately.

skyzoo
10-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Just think about all the starving Malaysian babies that never get to play tennis.
And the poor Indian kids who have to search garbage dumps for food.
And that dirty little kitten that has a poop stain on its little butt, but can't wipe it off.

Then get back in there and play tennis!
All day that kitten thinks of hitting a forehand but an oppsible thumb has yet again escaped him.

eagle
10-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Good advice posted here so far.

Yes, it may not be good for one's ego but it is a lesson one has to learn to stomach if you want to improve. It makes your wins taste even sweeter.

Remember that if you're not Federer or Nadal or any of the top 10 players, more than likely you'll lose more than you'll win.

I used to play against a college player who beat up on me all the time. I knew going in I was going to be demolished but I wanted to play against him to test myself and help improve my skills. He also wanted to play a lowly player like myself to get himself in tune for league matches. Well, after years of being a whipping post, I've finally caught up with him and actually have a winning record against him now. :) I guess it's time for me to find another player who'll open a can of whoop_ on me. :)

r,
eagle

Ucantplay2much
10-09-2009, 11:40 PM
I've just started playing competitive sets in august and I've played about 10-20 sets so far. The thing is that lately I've been on kind of a slump and lost I believe 5 to 8 sets in a row. Nowadays I just feel like I have no confidence when I play, and usually when I do, I usually get a lead and then when I mess myself up I always start thinking negative and "beat" myself for it. What do you guys do to get yourself positive or just thinking clearheaded while you start making mistakes or are on a losing streak?

Paying attention to the game yields a lot bigger dividends than focusing on your confidence level during a match.

If you're thinking about trying to not be negative, you're not thinking about what you need to do to win. If all you're thinking during a match is "C'mon be positive! I can do it! I can beat this guy!" you aren't going to notice that he can't return serves you hit to his backhand, follows up every deep corner shot to your forehand with a drop shot to your backhand and lines up too wide for your ad court serves.

If you are able to take advantage of your opponent's weaknesses and defeat his strategies, you'll soon find yourself winning more often.

ronalditop
10-10-2009, 12:02 AM
I've posted this in another thread and I think that might help you too. There is no such thing as losing streak and mistakes belong to the game of tennis. Also, in addition to what I posted in the quotes: Make sure to fire yourself up with a small come-on or fist-pump when you win important (!) points.

Also, as you're not a pro, HAVE FUN! That's the most important thing.

That is a great advice and it really works. I used to think always about the overall score when playing a match, and because of that in the deuces or break points I felt more nervous and couldnt play my best because I was too scared of making an error. Now Im only concentrating on points, and I try to play every point the same way. It has got to the point where many times I even forgot what the main score is, because I only focus on points. And since Im doing so Im playing better and winning more matches.

crash1929
10-10-2009, 12:12 AM
easy one, agree with the others and say play someone a little lower in ability.