PDA

View Full Version : Just your average junior.

adams_1
10-09-2009, 01:49 AM
I have a confession to make.

I'm not a tournament playing, nationally ranked, fully sponsored tennis machine like all of the other kids that post on here.

Don't get me wrong, if I had my time again I would seriously consider devoting much more of my time to the game, but as it stands I started too late and don't have the means to play and train every day of the week. I love tennis, but I don't get to play anywhere near as often as I would like to.

Is there anyone else out there in the same boat? Just a regular, not very talented kid that likes to play tennis?

Dave M
10-09-2009, 02:23 AM

I'm not a tournament playing, nationally ranked, fully sponsored tennis machine like all of the other kids that post on here.

Don't get me wrong, if I had my time again I would seriously consider devoting much more of my time to the game, but as it stands I started too late and don't have the means to play and train every day of the week. I love tennis, but I don't get to play anywhere near as often as I would like to.

Is there anyone else out there in the same boat? Just a regular, not very talented kid that likes to play tennis?

I think you will find that 90% of these boards are people who would probably do things differently and who play because they enjoy it, so keep doing it you are not alone!

mozzer
10-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Im just an average junior i guess. Well, by junior standards anyway. I play division 1 mens doubles but never really played singles, the highest i have been ranked is 16 in my county(section) and about 650 nationally.

SoCal10s
10-09-2009, 08:29 AM
I follow a great deal of Jr tennis here in SoCal and also USTA Jr National tennis,and believe me there are a lot of people like you who absolutely can't get enough of this stuff... it's the passion inside that you have to follow.. not everyone is gonna be a touring pro but that love for the game never fades.. tennis needs more people like you to get us back to the realism of why we all do this.. it's like art,you keep doing that crazy *** s&%@ until you die and even when no one appreciates it,it's what you love to do... like Van Gogh

ckledzepplin
10-09-2009, 09:28 PM
i have to say I am average as well, I started playing at 15 im 16 now, I played JV this season on my High school team, but next year I will play varsity doubles and might play singles if i crack the top 3 on varsity. I usually play 6 days a week for 3+ hours

ubermeyer
10-09-2009, 09:43 PM

wow I am in the EXACT same boat!!! i love tennis but am not that good, haven't played tournaments yet although I wish i did, and started late...

TennisNinja
10-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Same here I'm only ranked in the 50's in my section for 16's, but I'm going to move up a few spots because of my last tournament.

mcutilize
10-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Same here I'm only ranked in the 50's in my section for 16's, but I'm going to move up a few spots because of my last tournament.

56* :twisted:

anyways i'll move up in to the top 40 for next month ranking

and u might be like 47 or exactly 50

TennisNinja
10-11-2009, 05:06 PM
56* :twisted:

anyways i'll move up in to the top 40 for next month ranking

and u might be like 47 or exactly 50Ha yeah I've only got 15 points to defend until April but I'm going to play some 18's starting next year since I turn 17 in June.

mcutilize
10-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Ha yeah I've only got 15 points to defend until April but I'm going to play some 18's starting next year since I turn 17 in June.

i have 5 points to defend in april from like dakota giddings hahaha

TennisNinja
10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Dakota Giddings, lol

riponeverything
10-28-2009, 07:44 PM
No worries maybe your not making a mistake. Ive been playing competitively since i was 9 years old. Now i am 16 playing the same tournaments over and over again. Sometimes i wish i was in your position. I love the game but its not "always fun".

teppeiahn1
11-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I started at age of 15, as I kept iproving, I said to myself, damn.. I started too late..... But then I noticed, its never too late and many people Ive hit with said they wish they started at 15. Even though we started at a age where its nearly impossible to compete on tour, were still young and can move liek animal (if you train). Many adults who are suffering frominury always tell me "I wish I can rewind time and learn tennis when my body was healthyer". Remember, appreciate what you have and don't worry about what you dont have.

iplaytennislolol
11-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm in the same boat. I've never played tournaments, outside of my school's seasonal county play offs, although I've wanted to. I'm told that in tournaments a lot of people just play to win, so it's not as fun, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that
I played #1 singles for my division 2 high school, but I can't really say I'm good.. I improved my game mostly on my own, by playing all day with friends. In fact, one year for 'paper plate awards,' the team decided to give me the "Most likely to get married on a tennis court" award :3

XLes paulO
11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Dakota Giddings, lol

haha big time. i train with him

Badger
11-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah I'm in that boat all right. Last year (I'm fifteen now) tennis just came up in conversation with one of my friends. Decided I'd like to give it a go. Got a racket, played a bit and loved it. Never got a lesson. Just learned what I know from playing and watching. Got my first lesson last week. My club is tiny. In a small village. Barely any players my age so finding opponents is hard, but I was asked to play in an inter-club cup for "non-league players" so things are looking up! Getting to play a tad more now.