PDA

View Full Version : Will I make it in college tennis

TheRebelofPrince
10-09-2009, 03:45 AM
Im a senior in high school whose thinking abou tplaying at a d3 or d2 level in college, i didnt play on the team last two years because my heart wasn't realy into tennis then, i regained my love of tennis during the summer and have been practicing and training ever since. Im an defensive baseliner/counter puncher, who has a ken rosewall slice backhand return of serve. These are my stats

Serve-6.5/10 (better placement then power)
Forehand-8.5/10 (slive-7/10)
backhand-8/10 (Slice-9/10)
Volley-7/10
Returns-BH-9/10 (slice master)
FH-8/10
Conditioning-7/10
Heart-10/10 ( I NEVER GIVE UP!)

More to come later

Would i make it in collegiate tennis?

jrod
10-09-2009, 03:54 AM
With a post like that, the question should read: "will I make it in college?"

Seriously, what information did you provide that would allow anyone to make any kind of determination?

You'll need to post a video (preferably of match play) and all of your tournament stats (W/L, opponents, etc.) if you want a legitimate answer.

skyzoo
10-09-2009, 04:55 AM
You'll go D1 for sure with most likely a full ride to Stanford. These were Devon Brittons exact stats

Joeyg
10-09-2009, 05:36 AM
I'm shocked that Fedace isn't recruiting you to "Standford" at this very moment.

eagle
10-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Based on your self-assessment stats, you should be able make it to a college team and do well.

As noted earlier, perhaps a video during match play would help folks here help give you a quick but objective evaluation of your potential.

But be forewarned, you might get reviews that are not so flattering or encouraging.

r,
eagle

skyzoo
10-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Im confused though. Whats a 10?

Steady Eddy
10-09-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm shocked that Fedace isn't recruiting you to "Standford" at this very moment.
That one made me laugh. :)

ClarkC
10-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Time again for my all-purpose answer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3679920&postcount=2) for this question.

jrod
10-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Im confused though. Whats a 10?

Precisely. We've all seen just how precislely calibrated everyone who posts here is in terms of ability, so all we need is a simple little reference point to understand just how good the OP really is.

How about J011y? I heard he was as close to a 10 as anyone...

jserve
10-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Nope. Not if you can't advertise your abilities better than what you did in your post. A college coach is interested in match play ability and results. The information provided has neither.

skyzoo
10-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Precisely. We've all seen just how precislely calibrated everyone who posts here is in terms of ability, so all we need is a simple little reference point to understand just how good the OP really is.

How about J011y? I heard he was as close to a 10 as anyone...
hahaha the joke goes on. more or less a world class player.

gameboy
10-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I am curious, why 8.5 for forehand and not 8 or 9? Do people need to start rating themselves in 100 point scale since 1 to 10 is just not fine enough? :)

stanfordtennis alum
10-16-2009, 10:25 AM
play some tments, get a ranking, talk to coaches

Ken Honecker
10-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Heart-10/10 ( I NEVER GIVE UP!)

i didnt play on the team last two years because my heart wasn't realy into tennis

How quickly they forget! No really I'm glad your heart transplant went so well.

Enough with the ribbing can you beat anyone? If not the answer is no. Can you beat everyone? Then the answer is maybe. If there is a college nearby the easiest thing would be to contact the coach there and ask him what he looks for in a player. Maybe with a little wheedling you could arrange 5 minutes to show him your game. Then you would know. However if you are suddenly dreaming of tennis because you haven't saved anything for college and have visions of getting a free ride you had better be able to Golden Set everyone on your High School team. But good luck to you because tennis is a great, great, game.

kimbahpnam
10-17-2009, 01:44 AM
no.

10 char

skyzoo
10-17-2009, 05:24 AM
How quickly they forget! No really I'm glad your heart transplant went so well.

Enough with the ribbing can you beat anyone? If not the answer is no. Can you beat everyone? Then the answer is maybe. If there is a college nearby the easiest thing would be to contact the coach there and ask him what he looks for in a player. Maybe with a little wheedling you could arrange 5 minutes to show him your game. Then you would know. However if you are suddenly dreaming of tennis because you haven't saved anything for college and have visions of getting a free ride you had better be able to Golden Set everyone on your High School team. But good luck to you because tennis is a great, great, game.
thats illegal under NCAA rules. injury= lawsuit

Ken Honecker
10-21-2009, 05:13 AM
OK, fine call it a friendly game. Or ask if there is a time when you and your buddy might be playing on the court when he might just happen to walk by and stop to tie his shoe. Or ask if you can hit with the team some time. I've seen that suggestion offered up on this board many times.

I suppose there are all sorts of NCAA rules and I'm also sure coaches know a lot of ways around them. We aren't talking tackle football with 300 pound guys jumping on top of you on cement, we are talking a non contact sport where if you can't play 10 minutes without hurting yourself you aren't much.

TheRebelofPrince
10-22-2009, 03:47 AM
i meant heart in will, not physical heart, u idiots

jrod
10-22-2009, 04:00 AM

Careful there rebel-child...you've already established your membership among the idiot-clan by claiming that a 4.5 club player could beat Connors. You don't want them turning on you....

Venetian
10-22-2009, 07:43 AM

I think he was well aware of that.

ttbrowne
10-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Well, You should go for it. However, Your problem is that you haven't been competing against top players. There's a difference between hitting your shots...and hitting your shots against a top player. But since you"re not talking D1...I think you can go for it and have fun doing it.

Datacipher
10-24-2009, 02:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrp815ctBiA

not to be mean, anybody whose played jv, and 3rd doubles at that, has no chance at d1 school, maybe d3, and thats a big maybe, not trying to be mean, but u can try...

Not to be mean, but what chance does a jackass (that said this to a girl who at least posted a vid) who didn't play at all have?

denj3325
11-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Not to be mean, but what chance does a jackass (that said this to a girl who at least posted a vid) who didn't play at all have?

That link leads to a Vince Mcmahon Theme Song... It would be pretty funny if thats the video she actually posted