PDA

View Full Version : ATS Super Stringer II vs. Silent Partner Swing

ambro
04-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Which is a better bang for your buck? Obviously I would guess that the Silent Partner is a better quality machine because it costs $65 more, and it has 6-point mounting, but what are the other real differences? Which is more accurate? I have never strung a racquet before and want to get a machine.

Deuce
04-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Both machines are good, and will do the job.

The Swing is heavier and sturdier.

The Swing comes with all metal clamps; the ATS comes with plastic clamps that are rather bulky.

The Swing has a clutch gripper/tension head, which makes no noise; the ATS has a ratchet gripper/tension head which is noisy (like a loud ratchet).

The hold down plates on the ATS are longer and wider (and better) than are those on the Swing.

The bar is longer on the ATS. There are a few ridiculously large frames that won't fit on the Swing because the bar is too short.

ambro
04-11-2004, 10:28 AM
I understand your post well, but I don't know much about stringing machines and the terminology of them, so I don't know whether half the things you said about each means it is good or bad. Could you tell me what the advantages are of everything you've listed?

Thanks

ambro
04-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Also, is there a bigger chance in cracking/ruining the racquet somehow when using a 2-point system rather than a 6-point? I want the Swing right now, because of the 6-point system, and I do not want risk at all cracking a racquet because of a 2-point system.

EDIT - Where can you get an ATS SS II now? Before I thought it was www.atssports.com but now that isn't working for me. So where do you buy one of them?

Deuce
04-11-2004, 10:23 PM
The metal clamps on the Swing are better than the ATS plastic clamps.

The gripper/tension head on the Swing is also metal, whereas it is plastic on the ATS. The ATS clamps and tension head both began slipping after about 4 years of use at about 25 stringings per year. I don't know how long it would take for the clamps and/or tension head on the Swing to begin slipping - if at all. The clutch and ratchet perform exactly the same function. The ratchet (ATS) is more noisy, that's all.

2 point vs. 6 point? Truthfully, I don't think there's much difference. Many frames have been strung on the ATS Super Stringer that I've used, and none have cracked.

As I said, they both will serve you well.

brijoel
04-11-2004, 11:20 PM
ive strung some racquets VERY tightly on a 2 point mounting to 12 point mounting....string the racquet properly and you should never have a problem.

Deuce
04-12-2004, 12:31 AM
The ATS website works fine for me, and the Super Stringer 2 is there. They have a .pdf (Acrobat) owner's manual for it, as well.

ambro
04-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Will the plastic clamps and string gripper work fine though? I don't plan to string any more than 15 racquets per year, but I don't want them slipping and having a mediocre string job because of that slippage. Will they be fine? And I will be able to upgrade to metal clamps later if I need to right?

rich s
04-12-2004, 05:37 PM
as long as you keep the clamps clean they will hold.

the tensioner sections are polymer but they have diamond dusted metal plates in them to grip the strings.

I haven't had a problem with my Gamma PRogression II 602FC tension head which happens to use the same set-up

ambro
04-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Ok thanks. The ATS SS II is just calling my name now!

Deuce
04-12-2004, 08:31 PM
'Polymer' and 'composite' are just distracting words for plastic.

The Super Stringer 2 that I've used never had any 'diamond dusted metal plates' in them - just plastic. Maybe the current one does. I don't know. I suggest you check it out yourself.

And the plastic clamps (no 'diamond dusted metal pieces' in those, either) were kept clean, but began slipping after about 100 racquets. There are ways to minimize the slipping, though - like by placing a folded one dollar bill inside the clamps and/or tension head.

And, yes, you can get metal clamps at any time. I believe the Silent Partner clamps that are included with the Swing machine cost about $30 or $35 each.

christian
04-13-2004, 08:32 AM
buy the clamps from laserfibre you are going to upgrade. They are the same price and of unbeleivable quality.