PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Dads out there....

atatu
04-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Well, my kids are now four and five and half and I'm starting to see more court time. My game went from a solid 5.0 to a medium 4.5 level. I feel like I'm not too far from where I used to be, but am also factoring in age and other things that will prevent me from getting back to 5.0. My question for the other Dads is how long did it take you to get back to the level you were before kids, if ever...

Camilio Pascual
04-13-2005, 09:49 AM
My tennis game didn't degrade when we had 2 kids because my ex and I covered each other for the things we wanted to do the most. I picked softball/tennis and gave up on shooting and photography for a few years.

nw tennis
04-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Nice to hear there are others like me. I, too, was a solid 5.0 before my wife and I started having children. I hung on proudly as long as I could in the 5.0 ranks before it was evident that only playing twice a week wasn't going to keep me up there. So, three kids later, I'm hanging tough in 4.5s, with no real expectations of getting back up there. Too many other priorities in life now - kids' swim meets and little league games on most weekends, for instance. But hey, at least I keep playing.

flypitcher
04-13-2005, 10:43 AM
depends on the wife :)

6-0 6-0
04-13-2005, 10:57 AM
You just have to look at what your priorities are right now. Tennis will always be there, but seeing your kids grow up at this age is passing right before your eyes. Getting to a 5.0 level again may or may not be worth it if it takes many hours away from your family. It isn't for me. To each their own.

Dedans Penthouse
04-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Was a 7.0 at one time (that was 4 wives ago). Now on my 5th marriage (for now) and dropped down to and am stuck in a 5.5. rut.

Now, get this (can you believe this?!):

My present wife is making threatening overtures just because I'm playing in an upcoming mixed doubles tournament that falls on her birthday--ok, it also happens to be our 1st year wedding anniversary--but still, can you believe the gall of this unreasonable, possessive nag?!

4.5-5.0, here I come.

Camilio Pascual
04-13-2005, 11:21 AM
but still, can you believe the gall of this unreasonable, possessive nag?!
4.5-5.0, here I come.

Well.....is your mixed doubles partner's last name Harrison?

atatu
04-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Yeah, 6-0, 6-0 is right about new priorities. Not the end of the world if I never get back to where I was. However, I will say that I think I'm a much better, tolerant, Dad when I get to play tennis once a week. I'm kind of hoping that my older son will get interested in tennis....my younger one, well, I'm pretty sure that one matter what I say, he'll be playing football...

6-0 6-0
04-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Atatu...
That is when you need to put your foot down and say, "Son, look...tennis is a lifelong sport. Football is going to end when you are out of high school. You will then sit around and talk about the glory days when you played football at Polk HS and scored five touchdowns in one game." (Al Bundy reference)

johnmcc516
04-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Let him play football in highschool, but teach him tennis before he gets there. :) Then he will choose which he wants to play.

Geezer Guy
04-18-2005, 07:16 AM
Was a 7.0 at one time (that was 4 wives ago). Now on my 5th marriage (for now) and dropped down to and am stuck in a 5.5. rut.

Now, get this (can you believe this?!):

My present wife is making threatening overtures just because I'm playing in an upcoming mixed doubles tournament that falls on her birthday--ok, it also happens to be our 1st year wedding anniversary--but still, can you believe the gall of this unreasonable, possessive nag?!

4.5-5.0, here I come.

Sooo, you're playing MIXED Doubles (with another chick, I presume) on your WIFE's birthday AND your FIRST WEDDING Anniversary. WOW - Your wife's peeved about that? And you think she's unreasonable?? I'd say you're in line for wife #6 pretty soon.