PDA

View Full Version : federer forehand

NoirX252
10-09-2009, 02:30 PM
is he in any way actively pronating his arm (WW) in the least or is it a result from the forces of his body acting on his arm?

user92626
10-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I would think it's a result of the swing path. Actively pronating in such way is hazardous to the arm.

wihamilton
10-09-2009, 02:53 PM
is he in any way actively pronating his arm (WW) in the least or is it a result from the forces of his body acting on his arm?

Hey Noir. Yes, he is -- the motion is similar to turning a door knob. It's important to note that his forearm and wrist are turning as one piece -- he's not breaking / snapping his wrist.

This is a very advanced technique and it's not necessary if you want to hit a world-class forehand. Roddick and Djokovic, for example, don't do this on the majority of their forehands. It's one of those things that will sidetrack most players / take their attention off of what's really important, namely, the fundamentals.

NoirX252
10-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Ok, cuz I've been doing it actively, to varying degrees, slightly forcing to where it almost feels like on a 1-10 scale of "muscling" a .5.. to a literal 10.. they all work for me. I used to use a very relaxed arm on my strokes and i found you had to be "too perfect" to maintain control in reference to clean contact, foot work, and perfect relaxation.. etc... I'm always trying out a zillion different ways to hit the ball, but was just wondering what federer used :P

ahile02
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Search for any of the posts concerning Fed's forehand from tricky: he has incredible insight and analysis concerning Fed's forehand

Blake0
10-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Another thing is, when people try to copy the pronation in the forehand, they end up wristing the ball. Don't forget that body rotation, arm extension, etc is all very important, if not more important. Many people i see trying to pronate in their forehands tend to forget to extend their arm and end up sort of wrist turning the ball every time.

Just make sure to stay relaxed, use your whole body for getting power not just the wrist, good timing, good followthrough..etc..you know the stuff. The main thing people forget to do is extend through the shot..aka..hit through the ball (still going from low to high for your swing path).

aimr75
10-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Search for any of the posts concerning Fed's forehand from tricky: he has incredible insight and analysis concerning Fed's forehand

yeah, this is a good one

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137117

enishi1357
10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
my 5 cent on this is there is a priority to every shot.
If federer case he has a base which he always use to hit every shot and then there is other more steps which he adds on in abnormal situation. To sum it up, try to do most by doing less. Just because he hit it with so much pronation doesn't mean he does it for all his shot.