PDA

View Full Version : Myth: Why Federer's Forehand in AO 2009: Loopy and Slow

bababoo
10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I kept watching the highlight of Australian Open 2009 where Federer lost to Nadal. Federer's forehands in that game seemed mysteriously loopy and slow. Even his shots in Madrid Open 2009 on clay beating Nadal looked cleaner and faster than those in AO final.

WHY? Is it because of the courts of Australian Open?:confused:

MajinX
10-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I noticed this too but I think it was an adjustment and new tactic he was trying to use on nadal, mixing up his forehand some more, there were some good rallies where the extra loopy/spinny forehand was effective.

also because the AO is a relatively slow hardcourt just hitting it deep and flat isnt going to cut it against one of the best defense there is in tennis (nadal).

bluescreen
10-10-2009, 08:40 PM
i think it was him experimening with tactics. or perhaps he wasnt feeling confidant in the forehand that day decided to put more spin on it for better margin of error.

i think he was experimenting in madrid as well, but his tactics in madrid actually worked. it'll be interesting to see if he'll use similar tactics against nadal when they next meet on hard courts.

Jason Vorhees
10-11-2009, 03:02 AM
I think nadal was just hitting too well that it made Federer look ordinary.

bababoo
10-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Is Australian Open's court that slow? A lot of Fed' winner shots which were bullet like on other hard courts just looked tired in that match. I guess he probably strung his racquets too loose in that match so he dared not hit harder.

samster
10-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Probably a combination of all the things you guys posted.

Serve_Ace
10-11-2009, 10:50 AM
LOL wow only Federer would experiment with tactics using a grand slam title that's on the line.

Jason Vorhees
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
^^^Federer knew he was beaten before he walked on to court, he had nothing to lose.

DarthFed
10-11-2009, 10:57 AM
A new ******* i see...it's coincidental that they pop up around the time he loses for some reason.

If you're referring to RG 08 then hell yea..he knew he was beaten. But he had a chance at the 09, it was a completely winnable match.

Claudius
10-11-2009, 11:01 AM
^^^Federer knew he was beaten before he walked on to court, he had nothing to lose.

This has to be Nadal_Freak

Jason Vorhees
10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
This has to be Nadal_Freak

I hate nadal and Federer.

I'm a Safin/Djokovic/Roddick fan. Nadal_Freak sounds like a Nadal fan - who i hate with a passion.

DarthFed
10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I hate nadal and Federer.

I'm a Safin/Djokovic/Roddick fan. Nadal_Freak sounds like a Nadal fan - who i hate with a passion.

Really? I can totally respect that.

aceX
06-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Federer was trying to grind Nadal down because he was already trashed from his semi against verdasco.