PDA

View Full Version : ready hop on the ball machine????

HunterST
10-11-2009, 09:05 AM
I've been trying to make sure I preform a ready hop before each stroke lately. However, the other day I went and hit on the ball machine and found it difficult to get in. Without seeing a hitter taking a backswing I didn't know when to take the hop! Should I just leave the ready hop out when hitting on a ball machine?

Blake0
10-11-2009, 09:37 AM
ready hop..? Do you mean split step? Split step when you hear the noise from the ball machine it makes everytime it spits out a ball.

HunterST
10-11-2009, 09:52 AM
ready hop..? Do you mean split step? Split step when you hear the noise from the ball machine it makes everytime it spits out a ball.

Yeah, I always thought split step was pertty much a ready hop on the move, like when running up to volley.

taking the split step when I hear the noise sounds reasonable, I considered doing that while i was hitting but I was worried it would leave me hitting the ground a little too late.

jserve
10-11-2009, 04:23 PM
The split step should land at the same moment the opponent strikes the ball (at the exact moment the ball machine fires the ball). If you can't anticipate this moment from the sounds the ball machine makes, it would probably be better to focus on other aspects of the game and wait until you have a person to rally against to work on split steps.