PDA

View Full Version : Florida or So. California?

papatenis
10-11-2009, 08:38 AM
If you were given the chance to train in Florida or SoCal, which would you choose and why.

ahile02
10-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Florida, because Saddlebrook Tennis Academy' s there. I spent a week there in March, and it's great.

SoCal10s
10-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I live in SoCal and tennis academies here are bad..we do have great coaches,but they're expensive.. do yourself a favor and find a good coach and forget academy tennis...

Wondertoy
10-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Not including academies, Socal is the most competitive and deepest section.

ReopeningWed
10-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I'd rather train in SoCal. There's more competition there; sure you'll find a few Bollettieri kids in Florida, but those guys and gals are far and few in between.

TennisCoachFLA
10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
I'd rather train in SoCal. There's more competition there; sure you'll find a few Bollettieri kids in Florida, but those guys and gals are far and few in between.

Thats silly. There are tons of amazing players in Florida, not just at IMG. There are lots of great academies and amazing high school programs.

No matter what your goal....high school, college, pros, you would find boat loads of great training and opponents.

This is a thread with no right answer.....you could train at the very top level of the sport in either location.

You want to play a top ranked kid every day? Come on down. You want to hit with a current or former pro? Come on down, they are available at pretty much every tennis club.

I guarantee you there is no lack of competition for you here. No very talented kid ever failed to accomplish their tennis goals because they lived in Florida and couldn't find enough competition.

Thats just beyond dumb to post. Wake me when an American wins a Grand Slam who did not train in Florida at some point.

10schick
10-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Thats silly. There are tons of amazing players in Florida, not just at IMG. There are lots of great academies and amazing high school programs.

No matter what your goal....high school, college, pros, you would find boat loads of great training and opponents.

This is a thread with no right answer.....you could train at the very top level of the sport in either location.

You want to play a top ranked kid every day? Come on down. You want to hit with a current or former pro? Come on down, they are available at pretty much every tennis club.

I guarantee you there is no lack of competition for you here. No very talented kid ever failed to accomplish their tennis goals because they lived in Florida and couldn't find enough competition.

Thats just beyond dumb to post. Wake me when an American wins a Grand Slam who did not train in Florida at some point.

Isn't it true also that there are many professional players that spend their training time in Florida? Haven't many relocated to Florida?

darthpwner
10-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Florida because of the academies, but So. Cal has more competition.

ryangoring
10-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Florida has a lot to offer. A lot of high profile academies down here.
But it is all up to you.

SoCal10s
10-11-2009, 09:38 PM
yeah all those pros,academies ect.. do you think a middle rank Jr. will ever get a chance to step on the same court as the elite players? those academies are just a front to take your money and lots of it... no free lunch and Florida lunches are too expensive ...

GameSetNavritilova
10-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Florida without question. Forget about the CA or FL has better players argument as that will be a neverending debate.

Florida provides two key ingredients to successful early development, clay and heat. Aside from being easier on the joints, clay is a GREAT instructor that teaches defense, patience, strategy, working the point, etc... Heat prepares you for battle.

I've been to IMG, Saddlebrook, etc... and I'm completely convinced that academies are not the ideal path to take in developing a young junior. Nothing against any of them. If your kid has the love of the game, the drive, and the commitment, you can provide them with the ideal situation. It takes a special parent(s) that understands the game to put all the jigzaw pieces in place. The pieces include: personalized coaching, fun, fitness, more fun, group sessions, more fun, drilling, school, match play, more fun, etc... you get the idea. Did I mention fun?

It can be done better and cheaper than an academy but it does require a HUGE commitment.

TennisCoachFLA
10-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Florida without question. Forget about the CA or FL has better players argument as that will be a neverending debate.

Florida provides two key ingredients to successful early development, clay and heat. Aside from being easier on the joints, clay is a GREAT instructor that teaches defense, patience, strategy, working the point, etc... Heat prepares you for battle.

I've been to IMG, Saddlebrook, etc... and I'm completely convinced that academies are not the ideal path to take in developing a young junior. Nothing against any of them. If your kid has the love of the game, the drive, and the commitment, you can provide them with the ideal situation. It takes a special parent(s) that understands the game to put all the jigzaw pieces in place. The pieces include: personalized coaching, fun, fitness, more fun, group sessions, more fun, drilling, school, match play, more fun, etc... you get the idea. Did I mention fun?

It can be done better and cheaper than an academy but it does require a HUGE commitment.

Excellent post.

sureshs
10-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Wake me when an American wins a Grand Slam who did not train in Florida at some point.

Davenport?......

schaefferm46
10-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Another unmentioned thing that gives Florida the edge is the amount of tournaments there are. There are a good 5 JR tournaments a week. This doesn't include Open and Money tournaments as well as futures( there are 6 in Florida 3 in so cal 3 in nor-cal)

Also Florida is much smaller so the travel is easier and cheaper. Clay though is really the big advantage in my opinion.

drakulie
10-27-2009, 08:54 AM

HuH??

Everts, Solomon, saddlebrook, Xtereme Tennis, just to name a few. Everyone immediately thinks of Bolleteris, when there are dozens of great academies, not to mention players who don't go to academies, but train privatley with a give instructor. Not to say this isn't the case in Cali, but just wanted to set the record straight.

PS> 4.0 Florida Team knocked out the Cali team at nationals. :)

mikeler
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
...Florida provides two key ingredients to successful early development, clay and heat...

I would add that Florida has heat AND humidity. If you can deal with the brutal combination, then you can play anywhere.

bad_call
10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Florida is good but surf is better in SoCal. "...wish they all could be California girlllsss..." :)

raiderhater
10-27-2009, 10:53 AM
how bout this academy in Socal
C. Johnson, G. Brasseaux, S. Bernstein, Z. Leslie, T. Bridges, R. Carey, A. Karagezian, and others

atatu
10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
No one has mentioned the fact that clay courts are more readily available in Florida, or am I wrong about that ? When Roddick moved here to Austin, all I could think was "Why the hell did he move here when he could stay in Florida ?" But I guess Austin has some nostalgic appeal to him.

sureshs
10-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Henin's Sixth Sense academy is also in Florida

TennisCoachFLA
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
No one has mentioned the fact that clay courts are more readily available in Florida, or am I wrong about that ? When Roddick moved here to Austin, all I could think was "Why the hell did he move here when he could stay in Florida ?" But I guess Austin has some nostalgic appeal to him.

Florida has the green clay (Har Tru) all over. Also a decent amount of red clay. The public courts are mostly hard courts. So you can alternate playing hard or clay anytime you like. Saddlebrook also has grass courts.

tennismom42
10-27-2009, 12:40 PM
If you were given the chance to train in Florida or SoCal, which would you choose and why.

Georgia trumps both California & Florida

TennisCoachFLA
10-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Georgia trumps both California & Florida

I ALWAYS hear that from GA people! Don't get me wrong, there is great tennis there and very, very strong junior programs.

But if we are talking about reaching the very highest levels of tennis, IMG and Saddlebrook are where the players train.

And as others have said.....what exactly would make CA or GA better than Florida? A top junior could play all 4 Grand Slam surfaces and be trained by pros who have produced Capriati, Roddick, Sharapova, and on and on.

So how would GA "trump" FL for a motivated junior? If you want to say equals FL...okay whatever floats your boat...but trump? Nah.

Can you list the Grand Slam winners or top 20 players who trained mostly in GA?

tennisdad65
10-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Not everyone can afford one of those big florida 'Tennis Academies' or even a regular 'Tennis Coach'. And we are not talking about high ranked juniors here.

For a nationally ranked top 100 or top 200 junior being coached by his parents/friends etc, where would he get lots of practice partners and equal/better competition? Florida or Socal?

ahile02
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Alex Domijan's an up-and comer,from Saddlebrook, no. 1 ranked player in class of 2010.

mikeler
10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Florida has the green clay (Har Tru) all over. Also a decent amount of red clay. The public courts are mostly hard courts. So you can alternate playing hard or clay anytime you like. Saddlebrook also has grass courts.

What places in Florida have red clay? A buddy of mine played on some grass courts in Southeast FL a few years ago. I think the South Florida Chapter had an outing there.

10isplayer
10-27-2009, 01:59 PM
C. Johnson, G. Brasseaux, S. Bernstein, Z. Leslie, T. Bridges, R. Carey, A. Karagezian, and others

what academy is this?

dlesser13
10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Why isn't there ever any love for Texas? The same "heat" argument applies to it, and there are many academies around the state that produce excellent players.

FloridaAG
10-27-2009, 02:09 PM
What places in Florida have red clay? A buddy of mine played on some grass courts in Southeast FL a few years ago. I think the South Florida Chapter had an outing there.

A couple places have clay that is reddish/brownish - Coral Springs has 2 such courts I believe - The grass courts the SFC hit on were at Crandon Park in Key Biscayne.

mikeler
10-27-2009, 02:24 PM
A couple places have clay that is reddish/brownish - Coral Springs has 2 such courts I believe - The grass courts the SFC hit on were at Crandon Park in Key Biscayne.

Cool, thanks. My friend played somewhere closer to Fort Lauderdale.

TennisCoachFLA
10-27-2009, 04:27 PM

I find more red clay on the Gulf coast. Lakewood Ranch Athletic Club, Longwood Tennis, IMG, Saddlebrook in the Sarasota-Bradenton area. MP Tennis Center in Tampa. I also think the ATP Tennis Center in Ponte Vedra has red clay.

TennisCoachFLA
10-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Not everyone can afford one of those big florida 'Tennis Academies' or even a regular 'Tennis Coach'. And we are not talking about high ranked juniors here.

For a nationally ranked top 100 or top 200 junior being coached by his parents/friends etc, where would he get lots of practice partners and equal/better competition? Florida or Socal?

Well you sort of are arguing against yourself.

If we are not talking about a "high ranked players here" than he would have no problem in either FL or Socal. The answer would be that either place would be just great.

If the very best can train successfully in either place than why would a lesser junior have any trouble? There would be tons of practice partners with high skill level in either FL or Socal. Whatever location is more convenient would be fine.

atatu
10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Why isn't there ever any love for Texas? The same "heat" argument applies to it, and there are many academies around the state that produce excellent players.

Texas is pretty good, but not in the same class as California or Florida. I would say that the lack of clay courts hurts the overall development of the kids here, just my opinion.

mikeler
10-28-2009, 10:54 AM
I find more red clay on the Gulf coast. Lakewood Ranch Athletic Club, Longwood Tennis, IMG, Saddlebrook in the Sarasota-Bradenton area. MP Tennis Center in Tampa. I also think the ATP Tennis Center in Ponte Vedra has red clay.

Great info, thanks.

dlesser13
10-28-2009, 10:54 AM
atatu, where do you rank the local austin academies like 360 and ATA? I am from Austin btw.

a_2c+
10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
California = earthquakes.

Florida = hurricanes.

choose your natural disaster! :P

scraps234
10-28-2009, 03:07 PM
flordia also has kozlov academy.... and kozlov kids....

riponeverything
10-28-2009, 06:18 PM
both sections have high training facilities and quality players. they both also have an unbelievable amount of opportunities. As a top ranked competitive junior i would say florida just because of the access to the clay clourts. Great for your game and good preperation for the clay court national events.

chalkflewup
10-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Everybody talks about IMG, Saddlebrook, etc... Big names, big facilities, and big money. It's difficult for me to justify the expense.

Save your cake and get a good 1 on 1 coach that will develop your technique and your game (not your ranking - that will come). Work hard on your game, your fitness, and get a TON of match experience. And most important, keep it fun.

If you really want to look at an academy (I hate that word), check out Saviano Tennis in Sunrise (FL).

atatu
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
atatu, where do you rank the local austin academies like 360 and ATA? I am from Austin btw.

I'm not a expert on the junor academies, but I think ATA has great facilities and good staff, and the fact that they were recently named a regional training center is only going to help. The only problem of course is that it is very expensive, so that will effect who attends. They had a great class of kids about five years back when they first moved away from Saint Stephens. The Grant Doyle Academy at the Polo Club seems to be an up and coming program, the new owner of the Polo Club is a great guy and of course Doyle is a huge name to have there, although it must have hurt when Roddick left to coach OU. The fact that they have some touring pros training down there can only help. I think 360 is a good program also, a lower profile program, but they have certainly had some good kids come out of that program in the past few years. For those kids who want academic and tennis, St. Stephens is still a solid choice, they just had a kid sign with Texas and have put kids on team like Yale recently.

SoCalDominates
10-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Just wondering why only one person has responded to this post quoted above> Sounds like a solid academy to me in SOCAL. BTW raiderhater congrats on ur college choice. have fun