PDA

View Full Version : 4.0-4.5 in USTA?

in[k]
10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I am 15 years old, between a 4.0 and 4.5, and I do very well on my HS team.

I am going to be joining USTA very soon, and I was wondering what to expect. How good will others be compared to me (I live in Illinois if that helps), and will I even stand a chance against kids who have played USTA tourneys for years? Thanks for any help/advice! :)

JoelDali
10-11-2009, 12:03 PM
You should start signing up for tourneys to see how you do. Thats the only way to tell. Also, NTRP means little at your age. Don't be obsessed with the NTRP numbers. Be obsessed with winning tournament matches and making a name for yourself.

Good luck!

Fedace
10-11-2009, 12:06 PM
The kids who has ranking in the 100-200 range is about 4.5 USTA, if that helps.

in[k]
10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the advice! And the only way that I can really give you guys an idea about my level is ntrp. I did do 1 tourney over the summer and came in first, but it wasn't one from USTA.

So in USTA, is everyone about the same skill, just different levels of intensity?

USERNAME
10-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Fedace I have to disagree, Kids ranked in the top 200 are not 4.5 players. Iv seen a few 4.5s in the top 500 but once u hit top 300 that virtually stops. In the top 200 ur gonna get solid 5.0-5.5 players, top 100 5.5-6.0, and every player Iv come up against in the top 50 (not alot) are 6.0. The one top 10 guy Iv HIT with was a very strong 6.0+.
For the OP, the reason they are so good is because yes they have played tournys for a long time but dont let that stop u, I got a late start and after only a few years I can compete with these guys no problem. Just takes practice and patience, just be ready to cope with losing ur 1st couple of big draw matches, learn from the losses. Get a ton of exp and ull b able to hang with them and win soon enough. Try to make alot of friends at the tournys and get #s so u can practice with the players, that will help the transition.

Fedace
10-11-2009, 12:28 PM
;4016679']Thanks for the advice! And the only way that I can really give you guys an idea about my level is ntrp. I did do 1 tourney over the summer and came in first, but it wasn't one from USTA.

So in USTA, is everyone about the same skill, just different levels of intensity?

USTA 4.5 is skill level just below college i think. and 3.5 is the old guys you see in the clubs playing around for fun.

Fedace
10-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Fedace I have to disagree, Kids ranked in the top 200 are not 4.5 players. Iv seen a few 4.5s in the top 500 but once u hit top 300 that virtually stops. In the top 200 ur gonna get solid 5.0-5.5 players, top 100 5.5-6.0, and every player Iv come up against in the top 50 (not alot) are 6.0. The one top 10 guy Iv HIT with was a very strong 6.0+.
For the OP, the reason they are so good is because yes they have played tournys for a long time but dont let that stop u, I got a late start and after only a few years I can compete with these guys no problem. Just takes practice and patience, just be ready to cope with losing ur 1st couple of big draw matches, learn from the losses. Get a ton of exp and ull b able to hang with them and win soon enough. Try to make alot of friends at the tournys and get #s so u can practice with the players, that will help the transition.

I am talking about regional ranking, NOT national ranking..

USERNAME
10-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Well yeah regionals ull see between 4.0-5.0 guys (unless ur in a fairly strong section.) But when he plays sectionals he is not gonna see very many (if any) 4.5 players cause he aint gonna get good draws for awhile. I kno its random but more likely then not he is gonna draw the seeds. Then when he does hit nationals there are no 4.5s usually.

DownTheLine
10-13-2009, 06:04 AM
USTA 4.5 is skill level just below college i think. and 3.5 is the old guys you see in the clubs playing around for fun.

I'd say 6.0 for very top juniors and 3.0 for the old guys.