PDA

View Full Version : How to get safeness in my game?

MaratSafin_fan
10-11-2009, 12:43 PM
When I am playing matches, it feels like I dont have a safe game. I really want to put my game like Hewitt or Nadal but it seems like I'm playing to flat because it feels like I'm shooting at the top of the net on porpuse. If I dont do that my balls will fly long if I hit very hard.

What should I do in my game to find safe baseline game with nice power and control? :?

LeeD
10-11-2009, 01:06 PM
More spin...
Either topspin like today's game or underspin, like 4 decades ago.
It's a game between two people, so it's NEVER safe if your competitor is at least your level. He has a say in the results too, you know.

WildVolley
10-11-2009, 01:22 PM
You have to go back and start working on a topspin rally ball. Make sure you are closing the racket face in the back swing and coming up over the ball when you drive it.

There can be a number of reasons that you are having difficulty hitting topspin or you are hitting long. A big issue can be setting up too late. People who hit late generally have more difficulty putting topspin on the ball.

I suggest you get some video of your game to see why you aren't hitting the way you'd like.

user92626
10-11-2009, 03:27 PM
OP,

My opinion is you have the "wrong" FH mechanic for your purpose. I used to hit like that and it robbed me of comfort and power. So, now I'm trying to hit like brushing half of the ball and it's just a matter of time before you feel familiar with different trajectories with that hitting style.

Check out FYB clip at 3:45, you can either try a full WW or the classic, ie less ww,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ7vHxe6XTY&feature=related

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-11-2009, 05:25 PM
When I am playing matches, it feels like I dont have a safe game. I really want to put my game like Hewitt or Nadal but it seems like I'm playing to flat because it feels like I'm shooting at the top of the net on porpuse. If I dont do that my balls will fly long if I hit very hard.

What should I do in my game to find safe baseline game with nice power and control? :?

Always hit crosscourt, hit 3-4 feet over the net (more if necessary and more if you're pushed deep), apply HEAVY topspin (nothing but spin), and chase down EVERY ball.

I did this so extremely that I felt like Nadal hitting heavy topspin junk balls and throwing sharp angles off the forehand. But then I realized I had a one hander and felt more like Guga. But I added back some aggression to my shots and I felt like Federer again. :) But I still hit with heavy spin and use sharp angles, I just do it with more pace and aggression like Federer.

BullDogTennis
10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
you don't want to hit crosscourt all the time, but you do want 3-4 foot clearance on every shot(unless of course your going for it) the only time you pretty much ALWAYS want to hit crosscourt is if your getting run out real wide, then the most high percentage shot IS to hit it crosscourt over the low part of the net.

wyutani
10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
is safeness a word?

to achieve safeness use topspin. or slices.

charliefedererer
10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Topspin will make your balls curve down into the court rather than having to rely on gravity pulling them down.
Both Nadal and Hewitt hit with heavy topspin.
Topspin is produced by swinging from low to high. That is, on your groundstrokes, while your racquet is still behind you, the head of the racquet is relatively low to the ground, and as you bring it forward, you are also lifting your racquet up. When the ball strikes a racquet face that is moving up, topspin is generated.
You are right that something is missing from your game that has to be added to go to the next level.
Will Hamilton does a nice job in the Fuzzy Yellow Balls videos on the forehand and backhand on how to produce topspin in your strokes:
www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/forehand/www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/backhand/

Slazenger07
10-12-2009, 06:58 PM

You need Topspin and lots of it. I personally love Nadal's style of play and he is the player i usually try to emulate, except ive got a 1 handed backhand.

If I were you Id work on getting a feel for generating topspin. Heres how I think about generating the heavy topspin i use on my forehand.

Rather than thinking about hitting through the ball like you are used to, you need to envision brushing up the back of the ball very rapidly, while still making contact out in front of your body, get your body low by bending the knees, start your swing with the racquet head high then lower the racquet head below the level of the ball and brush up the ball as fast as you can, then either follow through across your body or over your head, I find both finishes are effective and they both allow me to generate tremendous topspin.

My forehand is definetly my best shot and people are always commenting about the heavy amount of spin i put on the ball, its consistency and how unpredicable the bounces are (both products of the heavy topspin) especially considering i use an eastern grip, not generally known for heavy spin generation.

The secret to heavy topspin is not the western grip, its getting the racquet head below the level of the ball and whiping up the back of the ball and using your legs to help you explode into the shot and generate power as well.

Hope this helps.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-12-2009, 06:58 PM
you don't want to hit crosscourt all the time, but you do want 3-4 foot clearance on every shot(unless of course your going for it) the only time you pretty much ALWAYS want to hit crosscourt is if your getting run out real wide, then the most high percentage shot IS to hit it crosscourt over the low part of the net.

Playing crosscourt is always the percentage play. It's not always the smartest, but if you want to be like Borg then it's a good thing to take to heart. I just pound my shots crosscourt (either hard or with heavy spin and sometimes the short angle) until I get an opening to attack down the line (or I feel down the line would keep me from being attacked).

Slazenger07
10-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Topspin will make your balls curve down into the court rather than having to rely on gravity pulling them down.
Both Nadal and Hewitt hit with heavy topspin.
Topspin is produced by swinging from low to high. That is, on your groundstrokes, while your racquet is still behind you, the head of the racquet is relatively low to the ground, and as you bring it forward, you are also lifting your racquet up. When the ball strikes a racquet face that is moving up, topspin is generated.
You are right that something is missing from your game that has to be added to go to the next level.
Will Hamilton does a nice job in the Fuzzy Yellow Balls videos on the forehand and backhand on how to produce topspin in your strokes:
www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/forehand/www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/backhand/

Nadal hits with heavy topspin, hewitt hits the ball pretty flat actually, ive seen him play in person his balls are generally hit with little spin.

doom
10-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Always hit crosscourt, hit 3-4 feet over the net (more if necessary and more if you're pushed deep), apply HEAVY topspin (nothing but spin), and chase down EVERY ball.

I did this so extremely that I felt like Nadal hitting heavy topspin junk balls and throwing sharp angles off the forehand. But then I realized I had a one hander and felt more like Guga. But I added back some aggression to my shots and I felt like Federer again. :) But I still hit with heavy spin and use sharp angles, I just do it with more pace and aggression like Federer.

You basically are Federer.

user92626
10-12-2009, 07:16 PM
slaze,

Sounds like you know how to hit heavy topspin, let me ask you this.

I'm also learning to hit with topspin by brushing hard against the ball's back, however I'm not sure where my focal point should be? Are you focused on hitting the shot over the net by x feet or what?

For sure whenever I think about the ball arching up and dropping down, my shot will be inevitably long or lobby. Wrong thing to focus on.

BullDogTennis
10-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Playing crosscourt is always the percentage play. It's not always the smartest, but if you want to be like Borg then it's a good thing to take to heart. I just pound my shots crosscourt (either hard or with heavy spin and sometimes the short angle) until I get an opening to attack down the line (or I feel down the line would keep me from being attacked).

so its a smart play to hit crosscourt every play even if thats there strongest shot? i find it better to vary your shots, go deep CC, go deep to the other side, just because your not goin crosscourt doesnt mean your not being high percentage. i find better strategy to mix it up, by no means you dont go for lines, but hit deep to the add court, as well as the deuce.

BullDogTennis
10-12-2009, 07:25 PM
slaze,

Sounds like you know how to hit heavy topspin, let me ask you this.

I'm also learning to hit with topspin by brushing hard against the ball's back, however I'm not sure where my focal point should be? Are you focused on hitting the shot over the net by x feet or what?

For sure whenever I think about the ball arching up and dropping down, my shot will be inevitably long or lobby. Wrong thing to focus on.

i know your not asking me but ill go with my 2 cents anyways. when im hitting a heavy top spin/high percentage shot i just basically focus on hitting the ball, i have practiced enough to kind of know where im gonna hit the ball (net clearance wise) i would say off the start be conscious of where its goin and clearing the net by, but after a while it basically becomes second nature and thats where your goal should be!

user92626
10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
thanks, bull

It's weird that if I just plainly hit hard without aiming to be within 3 or 4 ft above the net which is like my own safe zone for my fh type I guess, my shot will likely be out. So in effect I constantly have to set my focus there. Kinda miserable as a way to hit heavy FH.

Hitting with just average/low pace (even with depth) to get the ball over is non-issue, though. LOL.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-12-2009, 08:03 PM
You basically are Federer.

No. I merely like to use him as a guideline.

And I meant it as a relative term to describe shots. Nadal hits pure heavy topspin. Federer hits the topspin drive. I merely meant I went too far into the nothing but spin side and came back to driving the ball more aggressively.

Jesus! Get over yourself and that damned argument!

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
so its a smart play to hit crosscourt every play even if thats there strongest shot? i find it better to vary your shots, go deep CC, go deep to the other side, just because your not goin crosscourt doesnt mean your not being high percentage. i find better strategy to mix it up, by no means you dont go for lines, but hit deep to the add court, as well as the deuce.

I personally find it better to mix it up too. But the percentage play is ALWAYS crosscourt in terms of getting it in. We're not talking strategy on how to win. We're talking strategy on cutting down errors.

If we were talking about how to win, pound their weakness, run them side to side, mix up the spins and pace.

The percentage play means which shot has the highest chance of going in. You can hit a down the line shot and never miss. But it still isn't the percentage play.

The smart shot is which shot is the right shot to play. And in that case, it's not always crosscourt.

But like I said, he wants added safety in his game and wants to cut down on unforced errors. 3-4 feet of net clearance and aiming deep crosscourt will do just that.

Kick_It
10-12-2009, 08:19 PM
A couple additions:

1) How far you are behind the net essentially dictates how much net clearance you should aim for. If you are at the service line hitting an approach it is ok to aim for 1-2 feet clearance; If you are 3 feet behind the baseline - aim for about 5 feet net clearance.

2) Do a search for "Wardlaw Directionals". It describes a system that basically describes when and under which situations to change directions when hitting the ball. Like everyone already said - crosscourt is usually the safe play.

Good Luck! K_I