PDA

View Full Version : Are you feeling good about what's coming in Tennis?

doublebreak
10-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I know I am. I am surprised of how self correcting and self healing tennis can be. Like many people around here, I happen to prefer the offensive kind of tennis, the fast hard court, the ability to hit unreturnables. I can understand people liking the opposite defensive slow surface kind of tennis, while it is not my cup of tea, what I want to see more than anything, more than offensive tennis, is variety. We can all agree that s&v is dead and of course those calling for the return to wood raquets are insane, everything evolves tennis not being the exception, but the recent baseline ultratopspin bashing tennis is as boring as it can get (serving bashing of the 90's), it was hard to watch because it seemed that every player would eventually converge into that style of play thus making men's tennis as unwatchable as the wta.

Fortunately, del Potro, Cilic, Soderling, Tsonga stayed true to their games regardless of the slowing of courts in the last few years, these tall players have been able to develop amazing mobility for their sizes, I just hope their joints will hold. In hindsight it makes perfect sense, as the wise Pancho Segura layed it out for all of us months ago, the same tall guys that would have dominated tennis 10 years ago with their serve fest have been forced to work on their foot work, and are able to move exceptionally well and really be complete players.

So what does all of this mean? That the 5'-10" players will stand no chance in the future of tennis? Of course not, while it will not be getting any easier for the shorter players, just like the tall ones had to dig deep and get to be better movers on slow surfaces, now the shorter players have to work at their volleys, slices, drop shots, if they want to stand a chance against the big guys. I can't wait for this variety to start coming back in tennis, I feel we have underestimated the self corrective nature of tennis, the future in my opinion looks bright for the sport, what do you see?

hemat23
10-12-2009, 09:04 AM
I agree with you, and I definitely feel excited for the future of tennis :)

OliverSimon
10-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I am also exicted about..Chardy Nishikori Dimitrov Cilic!

TheMagicianOfPrecision
10-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Imo 2010 will be extremely interesting ALTHOUGH Federer has already broken most records worth mentioning.